Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

Is Duke still relevant? Absolutely!

ROFLknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By ROFLknife

Duke Nukem Forever is finally arriving in 2011.  At least, that's what Gearbox would have us believe.  I'm inclined to trust them, given their track record.  I often wondered what the reaction would be like if DNF went from vaporware to reality.  Does Duke have a shot at relevance 13 years after Duke Nukem 3D?  Given the hype surrounding the PAX announcement, I'd say the answer is yes.  Duke Nukem Forever has already trascended its status as a game and become part of gaming culture itself.  It carries a legacy...not necessarily a great one, but a legacy nonetheless.  I believe that there are a lot of gamers who miss the Duke.  For those who aren't nostalgic for DN3D, I think there's still a place for Duke.  After all, nearly every shooter out there is a take on the "modern warfare" theme.  The only alternative is Halo, and we've seen plenty of that in the last ten years (not that I mind Halo).  Duke Nukem could be just the alternative gamers are looking for.  I'd love to see the game turn out to be awesome and make a big splash upon release...whether or not that's wishful thinking remains to be seen.  One thing is for certain...people are paying attention.  All eyes are on Gearbox and 2K Games.  Duke Nukem is relevant to the gaming world.

ROFLknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ROFLknife

Duke Nukem Forever is finally arriving in 2011.  At least, that's what Gearbox would have us believe.  I'm inclined to trust them, given their track record.  I often wondered what the reaction would be like if DNF went from vaporware to reality.  Does Duke have a shot at relevance 13 years after Duke Nukem 3D?  Given the hype surrounding the PAX announcement, I'd say the answer is yes.  Duke Nukem Forever has already trascended its status as a game and become part of gaming culture itself.  It carries a legacy...not necessarily a great one, but a legacy nonetheless.  I believe that there are a lot of gamers who miss the Duke.  For those who aren't nostalgic for DN3D, I think there's still a place for Duke.  After all, nearly every shooter out there is a take on the "modern warfare" theme.  The only alternative is Halo, and we've seen plenty of that in the last ten years (not that I mind Halo).  Duke Nukem could be just the alternative gamers are looking for.  I'd love to see the game turn out to be awesome and make a big splash upon release...whether or not that's wishful thinking remains to be seen.  One thing is for certain...people are paying attention.  All eyes are on Gearbox and 2K Games.  Duke Nukem is relevant to the gaming world.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ROFLknife said:
    For those who aren't nostalgic for DN3D, I think there's still a place for Duke. 
    I can confirm this.  I never played Duke, but damn am I hyped for this game for whatever reason.
    Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Wraxend

I think you have to remember that Pax isn't really repersentive of the general public as a whole. Sure the guys there will go mad for Duke because they're the fans. Look at Scott Plgrim people went crazy for that at ComicCon but it sadly failed at the box office. I my self was only 8 when DN3D came out so have no intrest in this game what so ever, but if it was good and i saw things i liked then i would buy it as is with any game.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Cornman89

I would caution against interpreting trade show enthusiasm as an indicator for sales.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By vidiot
    @Cornman89 said:
    " I would caution against interpreting trade show enthusiasm as an indicator for sales. "
    Hey, I just got back from my first day at PAX. 

I'm hoping "trade show enthusiasm" is some bizarre internet lingo that's been making the rounds, because just about every-single individual I ran into during the show kinda stared at the closed-off Duke Nukem Forever booth and made jokes. For the few excellent people that waited to get their hands on it (I heard estimates running two hours) congrats. The thing was mocked non-stop during the live Giant Bombcast ("It's kinda like watching someone trying to open a jar, fail, and then let someone else open it for you. You did all the 'work'.")

Who knows. 
    Maybe it will be great.

...What the hell am I saying?! Is that thinking even allowed?!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.