Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

My in-depth review of Duke Nukem Forever

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Klei

I got Duke Nukem Forever a couple of days ago and I just beat it this morning. I'll try to give you my insight on what exactly this ancient relic of the past brings to the 2011 era.

First and foremost, if you're expecting a 2011 game by standards, whatever they are from graphics to gameplay, well you're going to be disappointed. Duke Nukem has nothing modern, except the resolution and quick time events. That said, is the game worth 12 years of waiting? Of course not, nothing is, except maybe your own time in prison.

Duke Nukem comes back to our PC's and consoles with a dated engine, dated gameplay and especially dated humor. On a gameplay standpoint, it's anything but refined. Most of the guns lack of oomph and are visually unimpressive. Especially the shotgun's almost compressed blast that sounds always the same. Still, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy it. Why? Because you fight hordes of space aliens that blows up just right under your assault, and it's good fun to realize that any gun is good, not only rifles or RPG's. This means that you can actually carry your golden pistol the whole game because it's that useful.

I enjoyed the fact that the levels were very original and well designed. There is, maybe one or two parts in the game that falls in the corridor shooter genre, but most of it is similar to what you've seen in Half-Life 2, without the elegance. That is actually Duke Nukem's strongest point. You won't get bored of the levels presented to you, because there's always some kind of new twist to them. Actually, I'd say that Duke brough something very refreshing in a crowded genre of military shooters that are the prime example of corridor shooters. They should really take a page or two from Duke Nukem Forever's book in term of designing levels and interactivity.

One of the things I found odd was the fact that during the single player game, the jetpack was no-where to be found. There isn't any jetpack part, and I must admit that I was kind of waiting for it to show itself, until the credit rolled. I guess it'll be kept for the Multiplayer, which is trash and should be avoided at all cost. But then again, I don't know a single sentient human being who'd actually play Duke Nukem Forever for it's multiplayer.

As for the graphics, well, they're not very good. Are they BAD? No, I don't think so. Most indoors levels are okay, with low-but-still-present lightning effects. The only bad looking level is the bigfoot section, which lacks a lot of detail and has really horrible backgrounds. Still, that gameplay part is fun, and that's mostly what matters most.

Duke Nukem Forever comes from an era of stereotypes, one-liners and movie quotes. He has a very immature, crude humor that would appeal to any 12 year old boy and to tell the truth, I was around that age when I experienced my first Duke Nukem rides ( a bit late thought, considering it released a couple of years earlier ). It was with pure delight that I found Duke to be unchanged, ready to party like it's 99 once again.

You'd have to be dead inside or a real grinch to not have a good time with the humor, jokes and one-liners from this game.

So, is Duke Nukem Forever a good game? Yes, it is. When you see it for what it really is ; a flashback to early 90's shooters. I enjoyed my time with the game because I set my mind to the fact that I was experiencing a '' concept '' from 3d Realms Studions. I was experiencing a ride through their ideas from ten years ago, and I'm glad that I did. Every now and then I would stop and say '' man, they thought of that back then? Wow. Great stuff. ''

On the other hand, if you dive in Duke Nukem Forever expecting to find a modern shooter with high-end graphics and heartpumping firefights with headshots, scopes, Micheal-Bay scenes and explosions, well you're going to hate it to death. And if you saw it that way, you'd be wrong. Because we're getting a chance to play something that was buried.

For a current-gen game, Duke falls short. But for an experience coming straight from the past, it's a blast to play. I wouldn't say it's a must-buy, but definitly a rent. And bring friends along, you'll laugh until the credit rolls. Thank you, Gearbox Studios.

8/10.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JazGalaxy

I still do n't get people saying the game has "dated" humor. 

Did anybody actually find Duke funny the first time? I sure as heck didn't. It was stupid. But the game was awesome. Unless he's still making jokes about OJ or something, then the humorcan't possibly be "dated". 

Great review, though.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder
    @JazGalaxy said:
    I still don't get people saying the game has "dated" humor.
    Well, the reason is that Duke 3D's stupid humour was almost entirely dictated by its technical limitations.
    Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Grillbar

i got tired of his jokes really fast, all the christian bale, halo, vale/portal and so on one of jokes was just to much

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo
    @Grillbar said:

i got tired of his jokes really fast, all the christian bale, halo, vale/portal and so on one of jokes was just to much

Well there's that one huge problem with all those easter eggs and remarks.
    DNF is a very, very bad game. And when something that shitty makes jokes about other stuff I can't really laugh about it.  "Hey the game I play is really darn bad, but I guess I can laugh about the shitty jokes it throws at other titles... nah not really."
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By MistaSparkle

Is the gameplay like the serious sam hd stuff?

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Cirdain
    @MistaSparkle said:
    Is the gameplay like the serious sam hd stuff?
    I'm sooooo bad at that. 
    CIRCLE STRAFE! CIRCLE STRAFE!!!!!!!
    Avatar image for osheadiesstupid
    OsheaDiesStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OsheaDiesStupid
    @Klei:  Your review is pretty much spot on. As a Duke 3D sequel, it's exactly what we needed. I'm just glad it came out, finally.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Good review man. I didn't doubt for one second that critics will rip it apart, but when judged for what it really is, it's a quite a fun romp.

DavoTron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By DavoTron

It's the 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand of First Person Shooters - Even down to the way the texture pops in compared to other Unreal Engine games. Except it doesn't have the "so bizarre it's amazing" appeal.

Also, anyone see the Inception reference?

deathfromace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deathfromace

I personally think the game looks great. The computers they had running them at the Gearbox event looked very nice so maybe they were high-end ones...but again the game looked great when I played it.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Awesome review man. 

I still have to pick it up myself. I'm assuming it's going to be exactly as I expect it to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.