One of my only Main concerns with DNF.

#1 Posted by deusdigit (572 posts) -

I think the most confusing design element with this game is not the main character, not the game play mechanics, not the enemy a.i, not the story line or the multi-player for me personally. But why that 3D Realms/Gearbox/2K felt it was necessarily to continue/allow using a old technology such as a heavily modified Unreal 2.5 or Unreal 2X (If you will) the same engine that is used with popular titles from Epic Games like Unreal Tournament 2004 for the PC and Unreal Championship 2 for the original Xbox to meld together their own highly anticipated title? We have sense moved past the days of those engines and the life span for them are rather primitive. 

i honestly believe this was the biggest downfall of the game its self is a technological move like this, if it were properly optimized. it would have worked amazingly on the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360. there's no reason for it to be this sluggish and load Soo much. Graphics don't always make a game, but that engine has long sense been dated and i think if 3d realms had used a proper engine that was intended for console versions of the game, it may not have been a technical disaster with its console counter parts.

#2 Posted by President_Barackbar (3455 posts) -

Considering the development hell this game was living in until it was finally released, I think the engine was the least of that game's problems.

#3 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

It's really hard to blame this game on being lazy...14 years can't use being lazy an excuse.

I think at the start people had real goals but those goals turned insane and to a point absurd, so they salved what they had.

#4 Posted by deusdigit (572 posts) -
@KaosAngel: My point is to why they decided to use Unreal 2.5, its just soo weird.
#5 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@deusdigit: If you spent 14 years making a game, would you want to switch to a new engine?

#6 Posted by deusdigit (572 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Yes, at least the source engine. were the character models are actually believable and that's 2004 v.v
#7 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@deusdigit: You use logic with this game and it's development. That is a mistake.

Go back to slapping some alien titties and ease your pain.

#8 Posted by SamFo (1528 posts) -

Bioshock 1 was Unreal 2.5 wasn't it?

#9 Posted by MHumphreys89 (713 posts) -

Constantly changing engines was one of the, many, reasons that this game took so long.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.