PR Firm Threatens Publications (Then Apologizes) Over Duke Nukem Review Scores

• 158 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3493 posts) -

As Duke Nukem Forever review scores went live across the Internet, The Redner Group, a public relations firm that works with Duke publisher 2K Games, started lashing back at critics.

"#AlwaysBetOnDuke too many went too far with their reviews," read a tweet, now deleted, from The Redner Group's account. "w r reviewing who gets games next time and who doesn't based on today's venom."

That update, and others expressing distaste with scores, has since been deleted. It did not take long for others to dogpile in response, prompting a series of apologies from The Redner Group, including a personal email sent to Giant Bomb and other outlets. The apology appeared sincere.

"I have to apologize to the community," read the public apology. "I acted out of pure emotion. I will be sending each of you a private apology. I need to state for the record that 2K had nothing to do with this. I will be calling each of you tomorrow to apologize. Again, I want everyone to know that I was acting on my own. 2K had nothing to do with this. I am so very sorry for what I said."

2K Games responded today by publicly declaring it had dropped The Redner Group as a firm representing its products. The decision was announced in both emails to press and over Twitter.

== TEASER ==

"2K Games does not endorse the comments made by Jim Redner and we can confirm that The Redner Group no longer represents our products," said the company. "We have always maintained a mutually-respectful working relationship with the press and do not condone his actions in any way."

Our review of the long-in-development Duke Nukem Forever went up earlier this week.

Getting blacklisted by a publisher is not new. Publishers aren't required to work with any website. The difference is that when this happens, you don't tend to hear about it. Games just don't show up, emails go unanswered. It's part of the job, but what is usually constant is how it's a practice that remains behind-the-scenes. It almost never goes public. In this case, it went completely viral.

Practices like that are why we're always prepared to buy our own review copies, if necessary.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3493 posts) -

As Duke Nukem Forever review scores went live across the Internet, The Redner Group, a public relations firm that works with Duke publisher 2K Games, started lashing back at critics.

"#AlwaysBetOnDuke too many went too far with their reviews," read a tweet, now deleted, from The Redner Group's account. "w r reviewing who gets games next time and who doesn't based on today's venom."

That update, and others expressing distaste with scores, has since been deleted. It did not take long for others to dogpile in response, prompting a series of apologies from The Redner Group, including a personal email sent to Giant Bomb and other outlets. The apology appeared sincere.

"I have to apologize to the community," read the public apology. "I acted out of pure emotion. I will be sending each of you a private apology. I need to state for the record that 2K had nothing to do with this. I will be calling each of you tomorrow to apologize. Again, I want everyone to know that I was acting on my own. 2K had nothing to do with this. I am so very sorry for what I said."

2K Games responded today by publicly declaring it had dropped The Redner Group as a firm representing its products. The decision was announced in both emails to press and over Twitter.

== TEASER ==

"2K Games does not endorse the comments made by Jim Redner and we can confirm that The Redner Group no longer represents our products," said the company. "We have always maintained a mutually-respectful working relationship with the press and do not condone his actions in any way."

Our review of the long-in-development Duke Nukem Forever went up earlier this week.

Getting blacklisted by a publisher is not new. Publishers aren't required to work with any website. The difference is that when this happens, you don't tend to hear about it. Games just don't show up, emails go unanswered. It's part of the job, but what is usually constant is how it's a practice that remains behind-the-scenes. It almost never goes public. In this case, it went completely viral.

Practices like that are why we're always prepared to buy our own review copies, if necessary.

Staff
#2 Posted by Daiphyer (1314 posts) -

Damn those PR

#3 Posted by TheFakePsychic (189 posts) -

It's a shame that the game didn't end up as well as it could have, but c'est la vie I guess.

#4 Posted by rmanthorp (3881 posts) -

Haha I read this earlier it's a fucking great story!

#5 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Well it was a nice business while it lasted. Good luck finding a new job, man.

#6 Posted by Williamdeb (26 posts) -

That's pretty great....

#7 Posted by Hadoken101 (727 posts) -

Man, Duke makes people do fucking crazy shit.

#8 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I want to see Jeff get into a knife fight with George Broussard.

This has nothing to do with the article, I just want to see it happen.

#9 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

*sigh* Duke.

#10 Posted by Wuddel (2079 posts) -

Don't worry. Everyone is still gonna buy that Bioshock Infinite.

#11 Posted by pgharavi (17 posts) -

lol    

#12 Edited by crusader8463 (14414 posts) -

He's not sorry for saying that. He's just sorry his higher ups found out.

#13 Posted by TheBlackPigeon (314 posts) -

It's a shame to see shit like this happen. But, at least he was man enough to apologize about it. I hope he learns something from all of this.

#14 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

Was that wrong? Should he not have done that?

#15 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
How would you buy a "review" copy?  If you could buy it wouldn't the game be out and reviews kind of pointless?
Yes. 100% of game sales are on the first day.
#16 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -
@louiedog said:
@SethPhotopoulos said:
How would you buy a "review" copy?  If you could buy it wouldn't the game be out and reviews kind of pointless?
Yes. 100% of game sales are on the first day.
Exactly my point sir.
#17 Posted by PrioritySeven (322 posts) -

All this nonsense over DUKE NUKEM FOREVER?! All is lost.

#18 Posted by sensory (47 posts) -

And now The Redner Group is no longer associated with 2K games. That tweet essentially got Redner canned and made his PR firm unemployable. Great going.

#19 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

it is interesting to see what game reviews get posted on day 0 across the various outlets

someone should chart that out over a year

#20 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

PR's are for pussies

#21 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5138 posts) -

I kind of feel bad for the guy, it was a really stupid thing to say and it only harmed him.

#22 Posted by CaLe (3912 posts) -

I don't think I'll ever fully understand the PR/Publisher relationship..

#23 Posted by notha (239 posts) -

@TheBlackPigeon said:

It's a shame to see shit like this happen. But, at least he was man enough to apologize about it. I hope he learns something from all of this.

man enough? what was he gonna do instead, tell everybody to fuck off?

#24 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Daiphyer said:

Damn those PR

PR are people too!

#25 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos: The review isn't pointless because not everyone buys day one and people specifically look forward to certain peoples reviews.
#26 Posted by Shady1992 (160 posts) -

I kind of feel bad for the guy losing his job effectively; but on the other hand, its a good message to send that just because you have outlets like Facebook and Twitter doesn't mean that people employed with profressionals should act like teenagers tweeting their most recent emotional whims.   

Its good to see the gaming industry moving in this direction - no room for sloppiness

#27 Posted by ouvintes (58 posts) -

One would think a PR person, of all people, would know better.

#28 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Was the guy personally involved in the development of DNF? I don't see why the fuck he would be so emotional about the reviews.

#29 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

What I don't understand is why the PR group would lash out? It's not like he developed the game. Why do this for a single game and risk this kind of backlash?

#30 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

DNF will be end of gaming as we know it! lol

#31 Posted by JohnDudebro (924 posts) -

This guy is one hundred percent fired now.

That's the shitty thing about Twitter. You can make one stupid statement that costs you everything.

#32 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -

kind of sad this had to happen over duke nukem

#33 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

Always sucks to hear about this, have to wonder how many publishers have GB blacklisted because of their reviews.

#34 Posted by Deathpooky (1379 posts) -

As they say, it's only a crime if you get caught. Doing it behind the scenes is one thing. Doing it publicly is just stupid

#35 Posted by Bestostero (2758 posts) -

haha.

#36 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Reviewers to Jim Redner... 
"DON'T BOO US!  Y'ALL SHOULD BE BOOIN' YASELF!" 
Or maybe that was R-Truth to the WWE Universe.  I can't remember.

#37 Posted by Suedehead (110 posts) -

A PR firm with horrible PR issues. Ohhhhh the irony.

#38 Posted by Red12b (9079 posts) -

Haha, that guy is fucked

#39 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Sounds like the exact opposite of what you want from a PR person. 

#40 Posted by Curufinwe (1246 posts) -
#41 Edited by emem (1961 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

I kind of feel bad for the guy, it was a really stupid thing to say and it only harmed him.

Yep, sad.. in every way.

#42 Posted by MiniPato (2721 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Yeah I kinda feel bad for him too. Though I'm sure almost everyone else will go "Don't feel bad for him, he deserves all the shit he gets!" I suppose that's the downside of being in a high position, the world is watching what you say.

#43 Posted by Zabant (1235 posts) -
@clumsyninja1 said:
PR's are for pussies
You tell em duke
#44 Edited by Brackynews (4045 posts) -

I'm not at all qualified to judge Jim Redner as a dude, and I have no schadenfreude to see a gaff like this cost someone their contract(s). God knows I've said and typed things I genuinely regret. But I do hope that the PR and corporate folks whom we all know read Giant Bomb, understand the magnitude of glass house asshattery this kind of attitude comes off as. Speaking as a paying customer who cares about reading a multitude of balanced reviews, the mere idea that you are choosing whose opinion I should trust is the worst possible PR decision you can make.

If I was a game reviewer this would have been my response: "Jim, we waited 15 years to review this game, we can wait 15 years and 3 days to review your next one. Thanks for the heads up."

#45 Posted by Wuddel (2079 posts) -

Well, I am getting from this that this is a 1-person-PR firm or something (additional staff for 2K PR?), and he feared backlash from 2K over his selection of reviewing sites etc.

#46 Posted by Cogzwell (228 posts) -

For me the release of Duke Nukem could not have been more perfect. If something flounders for 13 years, grow up and leave it behind. A game like Duke Nukem just can't be made today except for by the most skilled developers imaginable.... who? i don't know... Arrowhead?

#47 Posted by Greenlight13 (99 posts) -

Man, Jim Rednar got owned.

#48 Posted by The_Nubster (2052 posts) -

As much as I disagree with how he acted, it's gotta be hard to see something so personal get ripped apart. Whatever his degree of involvement was, it's very clear he had some strong feelings about Duke and damn if he doesn't have the right to express himself. 

That being said, he shouldn't have done so publicly, especially not as the head of the firm. Gotta learn when to keep things private. Poor guy.

#49 Posted by Jtan21 (147 posts) -
@RYNO9881 said:

What I don't understand is why the PR group would lash out? It's not like he developed the game. Why do this for a single game and risk this kind of backlash?

Guess it is in style nowadays to throw yourself on a sword for a game that gets panned/doesn't live up to expectations or hype.
#50 Edited by paradox121 (317 posts) -
@The_Nubster said:

As much as I disagree with how he acted, it's gotta be hard to see something so personal get ripped apart. Whatever his degree of involvement was, it's very clear he had some strong feelings about Duke and damn if he doesn't have the right to express himself.  That being said, he shouldn't have done so publicly, especially not as the head of the firm. Gotta learn when to keep things private. Poor guy.

Definitely agree. It's kinda a momentous game and to be put in charge of representing it must seem like an honour. Then to have it ripped apart by everyone must be a tad crushing. 
Overall it's kinda said with what DNF has ended up being. It really should've stayed as a 'myth' rather than this whole weird mess. Surely you'd rather people say 'Ha, bet it'll never come out like DNF' rather than 'Ha, bet it comes out and sucks like DNF'. You captured Bigfoot and it turns out he's an arse.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.