Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

*sigh* This game is bad.

• 167 results
    JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By JazGalaxy
    @imsh_pl said:
    @JazGalaxy: So... you're saying that games have stopped, and never were, evolving?  You're saying that we've had all the possible game design figured out day one and developers just decide which one would be trendy at a chosen moment?   You're saying that games like Super Mario Bros., Super Mario 64, or Shadow of the Colossus were not innovative and played the way they did because the developers decided it would be trendy at the moment they were released?  You're saying that when Call of Duty 4 invented health regeneration and redefined the pacing of multiplayer shooters back in 2007 it did it not because it was innovative, but rather because someone said 'oh, we'll do that with multiplayer based shooters now'?  If you truly believe that then you're either a troll or just stupid.
    Games don't evolve is exactly what I'm saying. 

This might blow your mind, but at hte root of every game beats basic unrefined gameplay concepts. Some of these concepts are fun. Other concepts are not. If a game concept is fun, it will be fun. Forever. Maybe not for one person to DO forever, but for new people, it will be fun. 

THis is why Skateboards have been sold for 60 years. Balls have been sold for hundreds.  Same with Yo-yos. 

The come in and out of fashion, sure, but the basic gameplay elements remain entertaining. 

Saying games "evolve" is suggesting that new game concepts are inherently "better" than old gameplay concepts and that is just a wholesale misunderstanding of the industry. 

As developers frequently say, purchasing a game is a vote for 5 more of the same game next year. Does this sound like evolution?  

To speak to your point, "when call of duty invented regeneration and rewdefined the pacing of multipalyer shooters back in 2007", they didn't. Halo did. And halo, and other games, did it because games care more about story these days than they do gameplay and worrying about health interferes with the pacing of the game. 

This is a trend. 

Having rechargable health, while quick and great for pacing a  scripted story, destroys a whole HOST of gameplay elements. With recharging health, you don't need items to manage your health, which means you don't need anything to aquire them with (such as money), which means developers have no reward for you to risk yourself for in basic risk/reward gameplay.
    BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By BasketSnake

What the hell did you expect from this game? Hail to the king baby!

TehJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By TehJames
    @Belmont_Shadow said:
    Oh and i was going to say this was on Xbox 360. IF you have a decent PC you may be able to get a better technical performance out of this game.
    I got an awesome pc...And with all the settings turned up to max the games looks like it's from 2004.  Atleast the loading times on pc is decent.
    JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By JazGalaxy
    @fisk0 said:

@Zabant said:

@JazGalaxy said:
    @DeeGee said:

@JazGalaxy said:

As soon as you said "IF this came out in 2005 as an Xbox 360 launch game it might have been great but in 2011..." it kind of discredited your opinion. So it's not trendy? Okay. Who cares? I'm not saying it's going to be a fun game, or even good. But as soon as you start trying to say it's not current enough, you sound like someone who is caught up in pop culture gaming asthetics. A band playing grunge music in 2011 can still be good. They might not chart, but that doesn't mean the music is any better or worse than it would have been when it was trendy.

What are you talking about? Games don't play like they used to for a reason. There's a difference between trendy and trendy because this was all the technology was capable of. If Streets of Rage 4 came out today, it'd be garbage because those types of games just don't work in this day and age.

Bollocks. Games are trendy. They don't "evolve" like many gamers try to pretend. The modern style of highly scripted thrill-ride FPS games are in no way "better" than older styled games. Sure graphics get better as hardware gets better, but very few gameplay decisions are based around hardware. Maybe you have to have played games long enough to get it, but trends come in and out of fashion in games just like they do in clothes. I mean, crap, you know how "co-op gaming" is all the rage right now? It was in the NES and SNES era as well. Then the PSX era abandoned it because it just wasn't trendy. It didn't somehow get less FUN until Halo suddenly "invented it". It just wasn't what pop culture gamers cared about. Rechargeable health, aiming down the sites, cover... these are all trends that will go in and out of fashion for the next ten years just like level based gameplay, objective based gameplay, large scale vs. small scale multiplayer and realism vs. absurdest gameplay has.
    You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. Be quiet, if you think a gameplay mechanics go through "trends" and not evolutions and improvements you are a tool. GUYS, THE REASON YOU CANT LOOK UP AND DOWN IN DOOM IS BECAUSE IT WAS TRENDY. NOT BECAUSE NOBODY HAD THOUGHT OF VERTICAL GAMEPLAY OR TECHNICAL LIMITATIONS HOLDING IT BACK.

JazGalaxy has some points, while games are still very much in a state where technical improvements can affect gameplay, most changes since we left the 2D era in favor of polygons only affect the looks rather than the gameplay, the "games have evolved since then" stuff is often exaggerated. Yes, the Doom and Wolfenstein 3D engines couldn't handle the player looking up/down both due to how the engine worked, and because sprites look horribly deformed if you do that (as proven when mouse look was added to the Doom engine by BOOM, ZDOOM etc.), but the Quake, Build and System Shock engines did. The reason FPSes for a few years abandoned "iron sights" was not likely due to technical constraints, but more that they could show off cool or realistic weapon models better if you saw them on the right hand corner of the screen instead of in the center at all times. While BUILD (Duke Nukem, Blood etc.) and Quake engine games often utilized vertical level design heavily, most modern games really don't, and it's probably not because it's gotten harder to create vertical environments since then, but because the current trends in FPS level design is the heavily focused and scripted path, where you don't have to care about opening doors or deriving from the straight path ahead of you. There is evolution in game mechanics, but it takes place over much longer time spans than many people seem to think, physics for example have been attempted in FPS games since Doom, started to be interesting around Jurassic Park: Trespasser and Red Faction, but arguably couldn't convey stuff like weight/mass (or friction, Trespasser's most notable flaw) until Half-Life 2, and since then most FPS/TPS's, whether an integral part of the gameplay or not, have had an physics engine with the most recent (released) evolutionary step probably being the physics based destruction in Red Faction Guerrilla/Armageddon and Battlefield: Bad Company 2, which not only affects gameplay but also level design.

Regenerating health, limiting the player to 2 or 3 carried weapons or the narrow corridor level design of games like Call of Duty or Medal of Honor do seem more like trends than evolution (and there weren't any technological limitations making them impossible in the past), though it should always be kept in mind that these kinds of things are notoriously hard to see while they happen, and are more easily recognized in hind-sight.

Quite right. I think you put it better than I could. 

I find the concept of game "evolution" so offensive because many, many, many great gameplay systems have been left behind because developers jump from trend to trend. 

I remember when turn based strategy games dried up because the trend became real time strategy. The RTS kids claimed that RTS was just the "evolved" form of TBS when in reality they are two ENTIRELY Different genres that play entirely different from one another. Then RTS trended into action RTS games like Ground Control with Hero units and whatnot, and the pure RTS kids cried. 

THe same goes for FPS games. And adventure games. And almost any genre. 
    JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By JazGalaxy
    @Omega said:
    @JazGalaxy said:
    @DeeGee said:

@JazGalaxy said:

As soon as you said "IF this came out in 2005 as an Xbox 360 launch game it might have been great but in 2011..." it kind of discredited your opinion. So it's not trendy? Okay. Who cares? I'm not saying it's going to be a fun game, or even good. But as soon as you start trying to say it's not current enough, you sound like someone who is caught up in pop culture gaming asthetics. A band playing grunge music in 2011 can still be good. They might not chart, but that doesn't mean the music is any better or worse than it would have been when it was trendy.

What are you talking about? Games don't play like they used to for a reason. There's a difference between trendy and trendy because this was all the technology was capable of. If Streets of Rage 4 came out today, it'd be garbage because those types of games just don't work in this day and age.

Bollocks. Games are trendy. They don't "evolve" like many gamers try to pretend.  The modern style of highly scripted thrill-ride FPS games are in no way "better" than older styled games.  Sure graphics get better as hardware gets better, but very few gameplay decisions are based around hardware.  Maybe you have to have played games long enough to get it, but trends come in and out of fashion in games just like they do in clothes.  I mean, crap, you know how "co-op gaming" is all the rage right now? It was in the NES and SNES era as well. Then the PSX era abandoned it because it just wasn't trendy. It didn't somehow get less FUN until Halo suddenly "invented it". It just wasn't what pop culture gamers cared about.  Rechargeable health, aiming down the sites, cover... these are all trends that will go in and out of fashion for the next ten years just like level based gameplay, objective based gameplay, large scale vs. small scale multiplayer and realism vs. absurdest gameplay has.
    That's simply not true. Lets take Silent Hill for example. The first game had atmospheric fog in the town to camouflage the draw distance because of the hardware limitations of the Playstation. The reason why the "otherworld" even exists is so the developers only have to model half the environments and just map over a new texture when the siren sounds doubling the places you get to go at little cost to them in space on the disc or development time. So yeah, there are plenty of gameplay decisions based around hardware. There is also the Wii which is home to plenty of unique gameplay because of the different hardware.
    You're confusing a gameplay decision for a design decision. The gameplay of silent hill would remain the same regardless of how the story of the game plays out. 

And silent hill is, in and of itself, a knockoff of resident evil and the "survival horror" trend of games. 

The reason you don't see these games anymore isn't because they aren't fun, as silent hill fans will readily tell you. YOu don't see them anymore because the trend died.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#156  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Well, I think we're all required to at least play it. 
    NO matter how bad it is. 
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#157  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@Bloodgraiv3 said:

Well, I think we're all required to at least play it. NO matter how bad it is.

Thankfully there's a demo you can play repeatedly until the game is on sale for $10, which is the price point I'll grab it at

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#158  Edited By Chris2KLee

To use a crude Duke like metaphor, this game is an enema for the franchise that clears out a 12 year festering blockage. Hopefully now that it's been done with, Gearbox can move on with the franchise and put their own spin on a character I think still has some mileage in him.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#159  Edited By Barrock

How are the boobs?

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#160  Edited By Lazyaza

I just got done playing through the campaign and yep still feel the same way I did two hours in.  Bulletstorm is the game this piece of shit wanted to be.  Hell in comparison I'd say Bulletstorm was a god damn masterpiece compared to DNF. Just went through my head thinking of all the first person shooters that released in the time it took this game to get made and holy fuck not a single one isn't a better game, absolutely none.  Original Halo, Quake 4, even Doom fucking 3, all better games.

I'm not even going to bother mentioning stuff like Half Life 2 and Bioshock.  I mean I had low low looooow expectations for Forever but my god, not even the most basic shooter gameplay was fun.  I rarely regret buying a game completely and outright even if I didn't enjoy it that much but I genuinely feel deceived and abused after buying this game.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#161  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Man I wonder if there is still time to cancel my pre-order if it's that awful? 

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By bicycleham
    @Barrock said:

How are the boobs?

Decent. Dragon Age 2 had better boobs.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#163  Edited By Animasta

@Bloodgraiv3 said:

Well, I think we're all required to at least play it. NO matter how bad it is.

not paying hard earned money for this piece of shit

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#164  Edited By stonyman65

@Belmont_Shadow said:

Not really crap just bad. IF this came out in 2005 as an Xbox 360 launch game it might have been great but in 2011.....really lazy attempt. I'm not going to bash Gearbox because they probably had a smal team working on this and it was probably a cash in with the name. I wasn't expecting an amazing game(i don't think anyone was) but something fun and solid, unfortunately the same joke over and over, really distasteful themes and at times cringe worthy dialogue....just makes it fall flat on it's face. That's not even talking about the horrible graphics, poor level design and below average shooting mechanics. on top of that the game doesn't have good frame rate. Worth a rental if you waited 14 years for this. That's it. I rented today(UK) and i don't even want to beat it.

but.. You're missing the point.....

Its supposed to be like that.

What the fuck did you expect?!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Stonyman65 said:

@Belmont_Shadow said:

Not really crap just bad. IF this came out in 2005 as an Xbox 360 launch game it might have been great but in 2011.....really lazy attempt. I'm not going to bash Gearbox because they probably had a smal team working on this and it was probably a cash in with the name. I wasn't expecting an amazing game(i don't think anyone was) but something fun and solid, unfortunately the same joke over and over, really distasteful themes and at times cringe worthy dialogue....just makes it fall flat on it's face. That's not even talking about the horrible graphics, poor level design and below average shooting mechanics. on top of that the game doesn't have good frame rate. Worth a rental if you waited 14 years for this. That's it. I rented today(UK) and i don't even want to beat it.

The thing is. Its also lost the "Duke Nukem " feel" Duke can easily die. Only two guns. The game moves kinda slow (even slower to take cover to regen health) 
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#166  Edited By DeeGee

@Stonyman65 said:

Just because the game is intentionally shitty, doesn't make it any better.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#167  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @phish09 said:
    Don't worry about it.  You're allowed to blame Gearbox.  They're the one's that chose to release this game, and they are the ones who are charging you money for it.  What I'm basically getting from reading about this game all day is that it was probably never released because it was never good enough to charge people money for, but Gearbox decided, "fuck it, these people will buy anything, so let's sell them this half-assed attempt at a modern Duke game".  They picked it up, polished it as much as they could and sold you a game that was not worthy of your $60.  I'm not hating on Gearbox as developers...I think they are great, but I think this marketing strategy could come back to bite them on the ass.
    Cant blame Gearbox. They didnt make large portions of the game just finished off what they could in order to release it. They probably bought the rights to use the name and make Duke Nukem games with the catch that they had to release a version of Duke Nukem forever. Even if the game is completely terrible it keeps the name Duke Nukem current and fresh in peoples minds making it easier for them to release another Duke Nukem game in a couple of years (hopefully a great game). Im gald they are just realsing it as it gets the whole "will Duke Nukem ever be released" out of the way and gives the franchise a fresh start.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.