The Joke Becomes Reality, As Gearbox Completes Work on Duke Nukem Forever

• 126 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3389 posts) -

The idea of running "gone gold" stories is something from the 90s, back when the concept was a PC developer's regular way of announcing development on a game had finished, producing a gold master.

It only makes sense to give Duke Nukem Forever, a game that should have been finished more than a decade ago, an honorary "gone gold" story, with Gearbox Software revealing today that Duke's done. More than likely, Duke Nukem Forever was finished weeks ago; "gone gold" stories tend to be a company's way of of getting one more headline before the game ships and players have the game.

"Always bet on Duke, I did," said Gearbox president Randy Pitchford in the press release. "I bet on all of the developers who have ever been a part of this legendary project and I bet that none of us want to live in a world without the Duke."

Now, it's time for the game to finally do the talking.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3389 posts) -

The idea of running "gone gold" stories is something from the 90s, back when the concept was a PC developer's regular way of announcing development on a game had finished, producing a gold master.

It only makes sense to give Duke Nukem Forever, a game that should have been finished more than a decade ago, an honorary "gone gold" story, with Gearbox Software revealing today that Duke's done. More than likely, Duke Nukem Forever was finished weeks ago; "gone gold" stories tend to be a company's way of of getting one more headline before the game ships and players have the game.

"Always bet on Duke, I did," said Gearbox president Randy Pitchford in the press release. "I bet on all of the developers who have ever been a part of this legendary project and I bet that none of us want to live in a world without the Duke."

Now, it's time for the game to finally do the talking.

Staff
#2 Edited by vaportra1l (270 posts) -

Balls of steel!

Been thinking about cancelling my BoS edition preorder at Amazon and going for it on Steam instead.  Hmmm

#3 Edited by EvilKatarn (465 posts) -

SWEEET 

Damn. Thought I could be the first man on this legendary piece of news. Anyways, I can't wait to try out this game finally. First access club demo soon, and I'm a part of that.

#4 Posted by aztecjester (27 posts) -

what a laugh!

#5 Posted by Soap (3560 posts) -

So glad it's happened. It's probably going to suck, but I'm still in.

#6 Posted by EuanDewar (4684 posts) -

Well, here we go.

#7 Posted by bkbroiler (1604 posts) -

I think I would have played DNF years ago... but now? I just don't know. I don't really even care about participating in "history" anymore. I'm not even curious how the game turned out. Hope it's good, though!

#8 Posted by Yummylee (21203 posts) -

I am eagerly anticipating the reviews for this.

#9 Posted by Sitoxity (551 posts) -

Yay!

#10 Posted by Otacon (2208 posts) -

Really interested to see how this does sales and review wise.

#11 Posted by MeatSim (10734 posts) -

I will believe it when I can actually play it.

#12 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1861 posts) -

Shake it, baby!

#13 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2717 posts) -

APRIL FOOLS GUYS

#14 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Over 10 years in development? This should be the best game ever made.

#15 Posted by StandStrong (124 posts) -

For the first time in my life, I don't give a shit about the reviews. Waited so many years for this game I don't even care anymore. I just wanna play it, and get it out of my system.  

#16 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

Feels like closing a chapter in gaming history. I'll be playing this, regardless of reviews. I'm not expecting a lot from it, but how could it be bad, besides not living up to people's crazy expectations?

#17 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I'll believe it when i see it

#18 Posted by Subjugation (4715 posts) -

Eagerly awaiting Jeff's QL.

#19 Posted by louiedog (2333 posts) -

Did NBA Elite 11 go gold?

#20 Posted by Gerhabio (1975 posts) -

Haha?

#21 Posted by MisterMouse (3539 posts) -

wow this is MADNESS! 

Madness? THIS IS DUKE NUKEM!

#22 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

No golden shower joke, gearbox? Oh well. 

#23 Edited by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I really hope it's good and I can't wait for the reviews to start coming in.

#24 Posted by notha (239 posts) -

think there'll be a day 1 patch?

#25 Posted by SuperSambo (2849 posts) -

Rental written all over it.

Gameplay clips look so bad...

#26 Posted by HT101 (1151 posts) -

Man, I wonder if Jeff will not give this a rating because he's been so invested in this game for so many years.  I need to listen to his stuff from his time at GameSpot about this game because that stuff is hilarious.

#27 Posted by SomeJerk (3130 posts) -

I won't fare well in the reviews because people expect too much, and honestly.. I don't think much of what I've seen. More into the multi. For us gamers with a heart, in particular those of us who are able to have fun in multiplayer action games that don't have experience earnings or unlocks, we will have a special spot for it in our hearts that we will tell our grandchildren, which we have a higher chance of seeing in our lives than those who need experience points, unlocks and achievements/trophies in everything they play.

And there needs to be a Duke Forever TNT, ignoring the FPS ban for a while.

#28 Posted by White_Silhouette (470 posts) -

I'm still kinda wishing it'll just be a disc full of all the trailers over the years. Then a "You've Been Had. Thanks for the money" screen at the end. I am still going to pick it up.

#29 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Got my preorder. I never preorder things, but you can only buy Duke Nukem Forever on launch day once.

#30 Posted by Ooame (165 posts) -

I just ordered the Special Edition, i don't care if the game is crap atleast i'll have a bust of a Duke Nukem

#31 Posted by chilibean_3 (1610 posts) -

This really does seem like Randy Pitchford is finishing this project out of his own love for Duke.  I'm more interested in seeing a Gearbox fresh start on a new Duke game after this ships.   Their real attempt at bringing a classic back.

#32 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

It would be so damn funny if this game got straight tens/fives/100percents/top scores across the board, and went on to become the greatest game ever. 

That probably won't happen, though.

#33 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

This is gonna be so goddamn weird when it's actually released...publicly...as a game.

#34 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

5/5 stars

#35 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@Soap said:
So glad it's happened. It's probably going to suck, but I'm still in.
#36 Posted by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -

You guys know it will suck right?

#37 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

GOTY 1997.

#38 Posted by HiCZoK (236 posts) -

YES YES YES!!!

#39 Posted by kidman (465 posts) -
@Daveyo520 said:
You guys know it will suck right?
Completely irrelevant. Still gonna buy it.
#40 Posted by RE_Player1 (7544 posts) -

Always bet on Duke. 

#41 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6151 posts) -

ALWAYS BET ON DUKE.

#42 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1689 posts) -

I'm honestly really, really looking forward to this game...probably way more than I should. It looks to be exactly what I want out of it, though: a shitload of old-school fun. It's going to be really refreshing having a game like this to play again.

#43 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1695 posts) -

Gonna buy it regardless of reviewa.

#44 Posted by Bumpton (438 posts) -

Still don't believe it. I'm not even sure I'll believe it if I see the box on the shelf. I must play the entire game to the ending credits for me to believe that this game actually came out.
#45 Posted by kollay (1926 posts) -

The Rapture had to hold off because Duke wasn't out. 

#46 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Even God is excited for this shit. He also already knows it'll suck haha Nevertheless, God and I both have it pre-ordered.

#47 Posted by swamplord666 (1757 posts) -

i dunno guys... i still don't think it's coming out...

#48 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

In Gearbox we trust.

#49 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -
@Soap: I don't get it why do people keep saying it will suck but then say they will still play it?I don't get it they like playing shitty games?
#50 Posted by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -
@weeman105 said:
Eagerly awaiting Jeff's QL.

Brad will be in on it too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.