Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

The (soon to be, I think) infamous rape scene.

TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By TanoPrime

I totally misread and thought Infamous had a rape scene...and I hoped it was Zeke.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#202  Edited By FireBurger

@CL60 said:

@august said:

I have to wonder how just how severe a case of arrested development one has to suffer from to defend any aspect of this dogshit game.

You should probably learn what an opinion is.

Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean you can't question it, or question how someone has come to believe it.

Lucidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#203  Edited By Lucidlife

@Afroman269: Did you enjoy GTA?

Lucidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Lucidlife

@SoldierG654342: It might look bad on a fucking console. Play it on a real system.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#205  Edited By nintendoeats

OK, so I got to that part. It doesn't seem any worse than Evil Dead. That is the standard by which I judge appropriateness of rape scenes.

Lucidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By Lucidlife

@MindOST: And you made your same rant against GTA right? RIGHT?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#207  Edited By musubi
    @nintendoeats: That exact thing crossed my mind today.  Evil Dead of all things has a damn tentacle rape scene which is far more graphic than anything depicted in this game.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By musubi

Also another random thought.  If that DNF level disturbs you man... you guys should watch some fucking hentai.   Your goddamn heads would explode.     Everyone's homework assignment  go and watch Bible Black and compare that to DNF. 

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#209  Edited By jorbear

That sounds absolutely horrific.

Lucidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Lucidlife

@Jace: Finally someone with some REASONING ABILITY.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#211  Edited By CL60
    @FireBurger said:

@CL60 said:

@august said:

I have to wonder how just how severe a case of arrested development one has to suffer from to defend any aspect of this dogshit game.

You should probably learn what an opinion is.

Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean you can't question it, or question how someone has come to believe it.

There's a difference between asking somebody why they like it, and outright saying that you have to suffer from a severe case of arrested development to defend any aspect of this dogshit game.
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By FireBurger

This is true. He was a little aggressive for it simply being a video game.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#213  Edited By nintendoeats

@Demoskinos said:

@nintendoeats: That exact thing crossed my mind today. Evil Dead of all things has a damn tentacle rape scene which is far more graphic than anything depicted in this game.

Not just tentacle rape. TREE rape. I mean, it's a fucking TREE. a FUCKING tree.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#214  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    @nintendoeats
    Pretty much this, yeah.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By musubi
    @nintendoeats: Hahahaha.  I C what u did thar!   
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By napalm
    @Lucidlife said:

@Napalm: And I find it offensive that you followers have let Jeff Gerstmann and Ryan Davis influence your opinion so much. I don't care one little bit what you say but I KNOW that if they loved this game a vast majority of you morons would as well. There have been far FAR more disturbing games come along that got MUCH higher scores on this very site and I don't recall ever reading one damn word about them because the almight Gerstmann thought it was cool.

Next time read the OP.
    Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#217  Edited By maskedarcstrike
    @Demoskinos: I know what your saying I don't think it's rape cause the other girls talk about how they thought it was ok to swallow and there's facehuggers around.  But the twins also say they had their first time with an alien so it's kind of contradictory really.   Some of the girls have their underwear on while others have the creep going to their waist.  I actually played through the level today and I'm at the monster truck part.

I just........ I don't know this game just seeps of weirdness.
    LiquidElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By LiquidElite

i understand  its distasteful but people really need to harden up and stop whining, the games 18 rating easily reflects it's content.  its a duke nukem game. surely nobody buys it expecting it to have morality? if this content "disturbs" you then i think you should take into account your sensitivity for future references and stop buying mature rated games :) 

p.s. i really didn't like this game, but nothing in it is devastatingly disturbing

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#219  Edited By yakov456

Well I finally watched that scene and I have to say, it didn't bother me in the least. It was most definitely dumb, but that is about it.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By SomeJerk

If there was actual alien vadge-probing rape demonstrated in the game as part of the story it could be a cause for concern, as in "oh man that's fucking nasty, I'd kill aliens too if they did that to our women, but someone's going to dislike that despite movies and television having worse things - and with real humans doing the acting", but as we can clearly see, it is nothing but the sexual fantasies of Jim Sterling, who maybe should not be allowed near women or children..

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Afroman269

@Lucidlife said:

@Afroman269: Did you enjoy GTA?

Is that seriously your argument, kid? Duke's attitude toward everything that is going on is what makes that whole section fucking disgusting.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I wish people would stop comparing Duke Nukem Forever and Alien. They're two completely different products: One is shit, the other is great. Yes, they may feature similar themes, but their context couldn't be more segregated. And context is important.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By LiquidPrince

The scene is in the quick look, and while I still plan on playing the game, that part was pretty uncomfortable.

Also I thought this was about Infamous 2 for a second when I read the title.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

You know what they say about rape.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#225  Edited By Deusoma
    @Aishan said:
    Being intentionally offensive doesn't stop it from being offensive. 

Awww, you took what I was going to say. 

I loved the hell out of Duke Nukem 3D back in the day, but that was all goofy wordplay, silly references to movies and videogames, and semi-ironic machismo. This just feels dirty, like RapeLay-level dirty. I hope Gearbox has the sense to dial it back a bit when they make their first wholly original Duke title.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#226  Edited By Hailinel

Having watched the quick look, that just looked like a more perverted version of Aliens.

I'm not saying it's a well done scene in any way, but hardly the rape fest that Sterling's article described.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By napalm
    @LiquidPrince said:

The scene is in the quick look, and while I still plan on playing the game, that part was pretty uncomfortable.

The crying is what makes it uncomfortable, and the fact that you can still punch the wallboobs and crack jokes is just... it doesn't work. 

And honestly, that's what worked about Duke 3D - the jokes were few and far between, and they were jabs at movies and shit and not jokes about alien rape. 

I think I am willing to say, "fuck it" and get Duke Nukem Forever. But that entire room is just... ugly.
    DrChipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By DrChipotle
    @oatz said:
    @Metal_Mills said:

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@oatz said:

@Metal_Mills said:

After watching the QL I think this game is very misogynistic. The area with the crying, naked women(who I guess are the ones getting raped?) and then killed my Duke is fucking disturbing. I'm fine with ANYTHING in a game but that really came off as wrong.

That's funny, because I think all the violence against males in this game is really offensive. I'm fine with ANYTHING in a game but that really came off as wrong.

You're an idiot. Yeah, please show me the tied up, naked, crying men for are being raped in this game. Go on.

I don't think there are any tied up, naked, crying men being raped in this game, but I do know that there are a shit ton more men being brutally killed than there are women being raped by aliens.

And I find that really offensive. In fact, I should go on some Internet boards crying about it.

Yeah, voicing my opinion is having a cry. Grow up,

And if you can't tell the difference between tied up, crying people and soldiers getting killed then you need help.

If you can't tell the difference between sexual assault and people being murdered then you need help. 
    This. Saying that dead soldiers is the same as drawn-out sexual torture (played for laughs!) is like saying that there is no difference between a soldier fighting in a war and a serial rapist/murderer who tortures women. 

Also, people do get offended over violence in games, when that violence is directed towards innocent people who were not a part of the conflict (generally senseless violence, the kind that in real life would only be committed by an absolute fucking psychopath). There's a difference between shooting a terrorist/soldier/etc who is trying to kill you and murdering random people (see the response to 'no russian' in MW2).
    christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By christ0phe

Why are we still talking about this shit.  Can a mod close this up or something?  It is people saying the same crap over and over again

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By benjaebe

@nintendoeats said:

OK, so I got to that part. It doesn't seem any worse than Evil Dead. That is the standard by which I judge appropriateness of rape scenes.

That is probably the most accurate standard for rape scenes I've ever heard.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By valrog
    @Aishan said:
    Fact is, there is a.) a joke about rape "Looks like you're ... fucked." and b.) has the victims apologise for being raped.
    This is where I draw the line.

I guess there's still Bulletstorm, a game that Duke wanted to be.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#232  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Napalm said:

@LiquidPrince said:

The crying is what makes it uncomfortable, and the fact that you can still punch the wallboobs and crack jokes is just... it doesn't work. And honestly, that's what worked about Duke 3D - the jokes were few and far between, and they were jabs at movies and shit and not jokes about alien rape. I think I am willing to say, "fuck it" and get Duke Nukem Forever. But that entire room is just... ugly.

This. There's a reason why Jeff and Ryan feature it in the QL. Ryan's reaction was the same as mine.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#233  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I dunno, I'm not sure what really happened qualified as rape and it certainly wasn't explicit rape, but I don't think this stuff is really soon to be infamous. For me the more worrying part of the level was when the Holsom Twins begged Duke to save them from the aliens, desperately trying to pander to Duke's demands from his "babes" by saying they'd "get the weight off in a week" and then when they were killed Duke just cracked some weird joke. I didn't find this hostile misogyny offensive but it certainly made Duke and the game itself just come across as immature and dated to the point where it was really sad. The thing that I don't get here though is why people act quite so strongly to fictional rape when we murder people in their hundreds in video games all the time. Is it because we think rape happens to more people around us? Is it the whole women in peril thing? I'm not saying that rape in the real world is not a horrific and tragic thing, but I don't understand why we can laugh at the injury and death of video game characters but if rape comes along then all of a sudden it's "not cool".

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Jams

@valrog said:

@Aishan said:
    Fact is, there is a.) a joke about rape "Looks like you're ... fucked." and b.) has the victims apologise for being raped.
    This is where I draw the line. I guess there's still Bulletstorm, a game that Duke wanted to be.

Don't get caught up in any knee jerk fox news reactions like this. Yes the situation is in poor taste. Yes it's uncomfortable, but the fact that the twins said it was their first time. They acted more like they were apologizing to duke for cheating on him with an alien. I got that by the way they said (and I paraphrase) It was our first time with an alien (in an apologetic tone).

The fact that it's in the quick look means you need to at least watch it and judge for yourself. But after some one puts a though like that in your brain, there's a good chance you're going to go in already convinced.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#235  Edited By SBYM

Always bet on rape.

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#236  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

wat.

If rape in games really starts to become a casual thing, this is another thing that the government will start blaming on video games. 
     I can see it now :| 

"Well your honour, I was playing Rapelay..." 

"Nb bro, you're free to go it's the games fault."

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By napalm
    @rebgav: Interesting take. While my title, in hindsight, is a bit misleading, I still think the creepiness and generally morbidly dark atmosphere and ambiance in that room is still a bit hard to swallow.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#238  Edited By Getz

@Napalm said:

@rebgav: Interesting take. While my title, in hindsight, is a bit misleading, I still think the creepiness and generally morbidly dark atmosphere and ambiance in that room is still a bit hard to swallow.

for sure. I'm with Ryan, "I don't like this room..."

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By valrog
    @jams said:

Don't get caught up in any knee jerk fox news reactions like this. Yes the situation is in poor taste. Yes it's uncomfortable, but the fact that the twins said it was their first time. They acted more like they were apologizing to duke for cheating on him with an alien. I got that by the way they said (and I paraphrase) It was our first time with an alien (in an apologetic tone).

The fact that it's in the quick look means you need to at least watch it and judge for yourself. But after some one puts a though like that in your brain, there's a good chance you're going to go in already convinced.

I just got to the part in Quick Look where this occurs. The "first time" thing came across as they were apologizing for being raped. Which, in my eyes, is unsettling, to say the least. I saw Duke's "joke", the weight comment and basically the entire level as really disturbing.

I'm sorry, but making fun of sexual assault is fucked up, and the designer behind this should seek professional help.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By napalm
    @rebgav: I have no problem with the potrayal, if the fiction and world surrounding the story supports that kind of horrific event, or maybe you are intended to feel sorry for, or be attached to a character, but something like that in a game where a goofy macho hero punches wall boobs and cracks jokes at pretty much everything... it doesn't fit with the rest of the game.
    christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By christ0phe
    @valrog said:
    @Aishan said:
    This is where I draw the line.  I guess there's still Bulletstorm, a game that Duke wanted to be.
    They weren't apologize about being raped, since they weren't being raped, they were apologizing because they slept with someone other than Duke.  They said they wanted to fuck an alien.  I also didn't think sexual conotations when you said "you're fucked", I thought it was just more along the lines of being fucked
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By valrog
    @christ0phe: It seemed pretty clear to me that when he said "You're fucked", it was meant to come out as a rape joke as well as a "You're in a big mess" kind of tone. It turned out really morbid, though. The weight thing was also pretty fucking disturbing.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By valrog
    @rebgav said:

So tear 3D Realms/Gearbox for their failure to manage the tone of their game, that's the real complaint. If people vilify them for merely attempting to handle this kind of content then fewer developers will be inclined to try genuinely mature or difficult content for fear of the backlash.

There's nothing mature here. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings featured a rape scene, and no one was disturbed by it. Why, you may ask? Well, it was taken seriously and didn't try to something as retarded as seen here.
    GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By GrandHarrier

Why does no one have issues with all the murder and death in the games you currently play? Have you checked your kills on your latest bro shooter? How many headshots have you gotten? Or how about those open world games. How many pedestrians have you killed?

Do you feel disgusted by that? If not, why is rape, something much less severe then fucking DEATH, such a big deal?

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#245  Edited By GoofyGoober

This whole game just sounds horrible, after the quick look nothing looks funny or fun for that matter.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By regularassmilk

More than a decade in development and I get alien rape as a joke. 
    I figured they could've wrote more clever shit than that since this game was in dev for most of my life.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By napalm
    @rebgav said:

So tear 3D Realms/Gearbox for their failure to manage the tone of their game, that's the real complaint.

Err... why do you think I started this topic in the first place? A lack of consistent tone.
    Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And if you liked how well that quote was written Jim Sterling haters, prepare to be hypocritical. 

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By briangodsoe

From another thread but it's relevant here too: 

I think the reason that the gaming media is trying to turn it's back so savagely on this game is the infamous "alien rape" sequence. We are at a crucial time where the mainstream is finally recognizing video games as art and gamers not being basement dwelling, violent, sex starved psychopaths. Then Duke bursts in, slaps some titties on a wall, and cracks jokes while women around him are writhing in pain half naked, bound, and impregnated by jizz throwing aliens. This is potential ammo for fundies. I'm actually surprised that the main complaint around the non gaming community is the capture the babe mode. 

The mechanics, at least to me were fine. They felt very out of date at times but were no less enjoyable then the original DN3D or Half Life. Hell, Duke Burger was my favorite stage for the platforming. The graphics were ugly for the most part but I've seen much worse from this gen. And the humor was for the most part funny, though you find yourself laughing more at Duke then with him. Even the two gun/recharging health system, though annoying at times, was okay. though it seems odd that running and hiding would boost your ego. I loved the game, but that level... I can understand the backlash, though I think it's getting shit on more then it deserves. If they took out the crying, duke insulting the "Holesom twins", or the wall titties(especially the wall titties) I think it wouldn't end up being the pariah that it has become.  

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By Mcfart

What exacly was penetrating them....................... ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.