This Week's Round Of Duke Nuke Forever Leaks

• 107 results
Posted by Brad (2873 posts) -

At this rate, we'll be playing a leaked build of Duke Nukem Forever by the end of the week. The onslaught of media hitting the internet in the wake of 3D Realms' closure continues, with this animation demo reel constituting the real crown jewel of the collection. There's honest-to-goodness gameplay footage in here, giving the best idea so far of how the game would have played.

Secondly, several more former 3DR artists have posted (and in most cases, already removed) blogs with more artwork and screenshots from the probably totally defunct game. Shacknews has been doing a good job of archiving all the images and tracking who posted what, if you want to see everything. And here's a small selection of the most interesting shots I've seen.

Lastly, and perhaps most damning of all against DNF's chances of receiving further funding and actually coming out, is a huge design-document leak detailing all of the game's levels and exactly what you were going to do in them. Here's a snippet of a sample level description.

Responding to orders Duke heads to Hoover Dam in an EDF Drop Ship to investigate a wormhole in the sky which is believed to be a portal from the Alien world. The Dam top is overrun with Alien forces so Duke is dropped off nearby and must drive his monster truck with a mounted missile launcher to make his way to the to the Dam. 

Man, those alien bastards really were going to pay for shooting up Duke's ride. Head over to Nofrag.com if you want to see the whole rundown of the game.

Staff
#1 Posted by Brad (2873 posts) -

At this rate, we'll be playing a leaked build of Duke Nukem Forever by the end of the week. The onslaught of media hitting the internet in the wake of 3D Realms' closure continues, with this animation demo reel constituting the real crown jewel of the collection. There's honest-to-goodness gameplay footage in here, giving the best idea so far of how the game would have played.

Secondly, several more former 3DR artists have posted (and in most cases, already removed) blogs with more artwork and screenshots from the probably totally defunct game. Shacknews has been doing a good job of archiving all the images and tracking who posted what, if you want to see everything. And here's a small selection of the most interesting shots I've seen.

Lastly, and perhaps most damning of all against DNF's chances of receiving further funding and actually coming out, is a huge design-document leak detailing all of the game's levels and exactly what you were going to do in them. Here's a snippet of a sample level description.

Responding to orders Duke heads to Hoover Dam in an EDF Drop Ship to investigate a wormhole in the sky which is believed to be a portal from the Alien world. The Dam top is overrun with Alien forces so Duke is dropped off nearby and must drive his monster truck with a mounted missile launcher to make his way to the to the Dam. 

Man, those alien bastards really were going to pay for shooting up Duke's ride. Head over to Nofrag.com if you want to see the whole rundown of the game.

Staff
#2 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

Wow you had to make us even more hungary for the game thanks brad..

#3 Posted by Contra (247 posts) -

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

#4 Posted by Majkiboy (954 posts) -

I want to play it :D Even if it might suck.. I'll be loving the experience

#5 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -

Hopefully someone picks this game back up again (and maybe, just maybe release it sometime).

#6 Posted by welly (118 posts) -

O dang...they should just release whatever is done.

#7 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I want it badly :(  such a shame, here's hoping microsoft picked it up, or somebody else will pick it up.

#8 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1491 posts) -

Its starting to look like a genuine shame.

#9 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2412 posts) -

It will come out,after all this work,it has to.

#10 Posted by FriedGold (3 posts) -

This DNF post-mortem is like definitively finding out there is in fact a God, but doing so by way of seeing his dead, beaten corpse fall from the sky.

#11 Edited by Xymox (2063 posts) -

I love it when the pig cop closes that door and it smashes the other pig cop and then the door gets a dent in it

#12 Posted by Infinityslimit (121 posts) -

Damn this looked awesome makes me sad, bring back duke! We need him :(.

#13 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
FriedGold said:
"This DNF post-mortem is like definitively finding out there is in fact a God, but doing so by way of seeing his dead, beaten corpse fall from the sky."
+1
#14 Posted by Impossibilium (684 posts) -

the more I see the more I wonder what the fuck was the problem?

It's a first person shooter with Duke Nukem, how long could it take? Were they fucking around all day trying to work blindfolded or throwing pencils at the ceiling?

It's not as if they were working on Virtual Duke Nukem shades to go with the game, so that when you put them on you were actually in first person.

#15 Posted by PJ (1143 posts) -

Animations looked good but the graphics look like they belong on the PS2/Xbox seems like they used the Doom3 engine like whit Pray, that would explane the horrible lighting and moving shadow. Well it looked like a game that was over a year from release.

#16 Posted by FengShuiGod (1478 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever was always a joke. Yeah, people wanted it, but they knew their wanting was in vain. It just wasn't realistically going to come out, or so we thought. Seeing a build this polished and awesome though......damn. It's like never expecting to be a millionaire, then learning you threw out your grandfather's will which left you millions in diamonds you never knew about.

#17 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

First. Person. Finger.

Only Duke would have had that.  I'm genuinely sad it's not coming out now.  It looked like it had some pretty cool stuff in it while completely making fun of the premise all the way.

#18 Posted by Shax (12 posts) -

Ive said this before 3D Realms going under may be the best thing for DNF. There's a chance someone will pick it up and actually finish it, which 3DR seems incapable of. I bet Brussard's head is about to explode lol, in the last 10 years everything he's allowed us to see has been few and far between. Now after he drove the company into the ground we are finally seeing some gameplay footage.

#19 Posted by EightBitWarrior (591 posts) -

Looks terrible, but I'd definitely play the game just to see how it turned out after all the its troubles, for better or worse.

#20 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Game looks fucking awesome....too bad.

#21 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

It looks fun! Not Revolutionary, not mind-blowing, but fun! Which  is actually way more than I expected. I was sure the game would be totally mediocre, or, at best, whole unremarkable.

#22 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

It looks fun! Not Revolutionary, not mind-blowing, but fun! Which  is actually way more than I expected. I was sure the game would be totally mediocre, or, at best, whole unremarkable.

#23 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
EightBitWarrior said:
"Looks terrible, but I'd definitely play the game just to see how it turned out after all the its troubles, for better or worse."
If you think it looks terrible you clearly dislike Duke Nukem as a whole.
#24 Posted by Aeterna (1116 posts) -

That didn't even look bad at all.
(To my surprise)

#25 Posted by CoinMatze (469 posts) -

How can anyone still think, that this game would have sucked, if they finished it? I bet it totally had shitting that alien dude's throat as a QTE. How much more awesomeness can you withstand? This looks like Half-Life 2 with more balls. I want to kick alien butt so hard right now!!!

#26 Posted by mclakers (125 posts) -

WTF i want to play this game, it looks AWESOME, ill pay 60 bucks even for the incomplete version. im sold just by looking at that video

#27 Posted by Brainswarm (7 posts) -

I'm wonderin if 3DRealms had shown off all this stuff before they got the axe, would there have been a chance people would have actually been interested enough for the publisher to keep them going?

#28 Posted by Double0hFor (410 posts) -

they were so close :(

#29 Edited by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -
This is only making this worse! :(

It looks dumb, it looks bad ass, it looks old school, it looks everything.

Man those classic weapons and enemies.
#30 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

oh man, this would've blown the world away...

#31 Posted by LiveOrDie1212 (926 posts) -

look like a shitty game. something that M$ would make.

#32 Posted by Khann (2780 posts) -

Good lord LiveOrDie, good lord.

#33 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1409 posts) -

I'm not one to make a fuss but the first post "look like a shitty game. something that M$ would make." What a complete dick. You can look at any alpha footage and say the same thing. Well except for anything Valve or Blizzard puts out, pure gold baby.

#34 Posted by Anthony_Galindo (92 posts) -

oh my god. That snippet from the leaked design doc makes this sound like the coolest game ever. Who wouldn't want to drive to the Hoover Dam in a monster truck with guns on it?

#35 Posted by lordofultima (6207 posts) -

Duke falling as he's flipping the bird, that was pure awesome. This footage doesn't look half bad, it's a shame that it's now a memory.

#36 Posted by RJPelonia (853 posts) -

Damn. Game looked fun.

#37 Posted by AndrewB (7479 posts) -

Seeing that they had actually made progress with the game makes me sad. Then I remember that this is all they could come up with in YEARS of development. I guess I have to give them a little leeway, though... they had probably the rockiest development cycle of any game to date, ending with quite the crash.

#38 Posted by Gnubberen (758 posts) -

It sure does break my old school heart that 3drealms is no more... And from the looks of it.. Duke Nukem Forever Looked like it had everything that i wanted for a Duke3d sequel

#39 Posted by exfate (342 posts) -

Looks like a Duke Nukem game... awesome! What a shame. It looks like it has more originality, style, fun, and balls than any modern FPS... but then Duke always did.

#40 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

This looks way better than i thought it would.

#41 Posted by thiago (666 posts) -

I think I am going to vomit if I hear anybody else say "I want to play it so badly!!". No, you don't. You didn't even remember of this game until a week ago. Duke Nukem 3D when it was released was one thing, fun, but by today standards what chance would it have? None.

Unless they did a pretty good game, which doesn't look like by the footage, it would be just worth for the nostalgia feeling of those who actually cared about Duke back in the day.

#42 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Wow, this is very sad. It look[ed] pretty sweet.

#43 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

The game looks just as bad as every other Duke Nukem game. I bet it sucks just as bad as them, too.

#44 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

What surprised me is that they actually had something to show. Those assholes should of just released it instead of holding on to it. No wonder they got shut down.

#45 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Man... it really looks a lot like that Turok game that came out recently!

#46 Posted by Musicom (66 posts) -

Pretty lame voice Duke was saddled with.

#47 Edited by AlexDP (8 posts) -

wow... this actually looked like a decent game... if not a good one (admittedly not great by todays standards)... what the hell were they doing? and why the hell isn't anyone else picking this up, finishing it off and throwing it out there?

Btw, here's some more irony:
DNF = Duke Nukem Forever = Did Not Finish (used in auto-racing, F1 in particular)...
sad... it's as if this game was doomed from day one, with the choice of names...

#48 Posted by killdave (1073 posts) -

Wow that "actually" looked like a real game ...

maybe it was a real game and not just an idea ^^

#49 Edited by LiveOrDie1212 (926 posts) -

don't worry, M$ will pick this up and make it a DLC on XBLA. They will overcharge it becaue they know some dumbass xbox users will buy it simply because it has "DUKE NUKEM" on it. oh yeah, and it will turn out to be one of the shittest game ever made.

#50 Posted by Deusoma (3001 posts) -

I'm going to admit I really wanted to play this, partially because I want to see Thiago vomit, but mostly because I, you know, really wanted to play this someday.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.