Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

why duke is so unpopular

• 147 results
    lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lusence

i mean when you look at video games, games like GTA, leisure suit larry, well tons of ganster games with strip clubs. all these games potray women as sex objects yet no big whoopla! about that really. But this game got shat on due to the same sort of humor... whats the deal? I think it has to do with the FPS market. Its became so big and excepted it was not unusual finding a 10 year old boy playing a FPS like call of duty in front of his mom for hours. Whats the big deal? lol get it? they became so desensitized over time fing WAR is more acceptable than a dirty joke... crazy world we live in friends, where a boob joke can ruin a game, even if its all about shooting stuff and blowing things up.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By DeeGee

Remember that time in GTA when you picked up some wet shit and giggled and then flung the shit around?

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lusence

amazing how video games progress wit time...

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Sambambo

Its not the fact that they are distasteful jokes, it is that they are just terrible jokes that only an idiot would laugh at.

Revenant86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Revenant86
    @DeeGee said:

Remember that time in GTA when you picked up some wet shit and giggled and then flung the shit around?

/Thread
    briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By briangodsoe

I think it has less to do with boob jokes and more to do with a room full of crying, puking, half naked women forcefully impregnated with alien babies while duke slaps some titties on the wall and chuckles saying, "got milk"?

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lusence

that my friend is an opinion. wtf do you care? did you play the game because you thought it was going to be a comedy extravagansa? so you dont like the jokes.... go play COD with your friends and talk about your lifes... bet thats pretty funny... jk..

Natesaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Natesaint

It's America. Sex ruins lives, remember? Besides, humanity has become so much more sensitive over time. Much like when a woman's breast is tender to the touch. Yeah.
    KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By KarlPilkington

@lusence said:

that my friend is an opinion. wtf do you care? did you play the game because you thought it was going to be a comedy extravagansa? so you dont like the jokes.... go play COD with your friends and talk about your lifes... bet thats pretty funny... jk..

What the fuck are you on about?

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By briangodsoe
    @lusence: Who are you addressing?  

I liked the game but that one part still creeps me the hell out. If people are down about it going too far with the humor, that's the reason.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @Chabbs0 said:

@lusence said:

What the fuck are you on about?

I was wondering the same thing.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @briangodsoe said:
    I think it has less to do with boob jokes and more to do with a room full of crying, puking, half naked women forcefully impregnated with alien babies while duke slaps some titties on the wall and chuckles saying, "got milk"?
    To be fair that was the first time we actually saw what the aliens were doing to the women. I understand some people thinking there was some big joke to the Hive level, but there really wasn't. It was an explicit homage to Aliens and was just as unsettling. Barring the quips over the Holsom Twins, one would get the impression that Duke was actually pretty pissed off over what he saw in The Hive. Hell, even when the Holsom Twins explode into octababies, Duke's first reaction is an expression of anger. The Hive was effective at showing the player (and Duke) just exactly what the aliens were doing and how high the stakes are. 

All that said, it was a surprising and I would venture to say well done tonal shift from what came before. Up until The Hive the game had been all dick and fart jokes and a pretty fun romp. It wasn't until The Hive that "shit got real".
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ProfessorEss

For me it's as simple as the joke not being even a little bit funny.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

It's not that people find the humor offensive because of the subject matter but that it's grossly unfunny.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By PerryVandell

It's not so much the dirty jokes as it is the dated game design. You have to remember that people started developing this game about 14 years ago, and Gearbox just took this lifeless product, made it somewhat playable, and shipped it. There have been so many changes in game design over the 14 years this game has been in "development" that the game seems to be stuck in the past. The mature humor is a staple of Duke's legacy, but cheesy one-liners don't make up for bad game design.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By natetodamax

@DeeGee said:

Or when you slapped pairs of boobs in an area with naked moaning girls who look like they're being violated by an organic alien thing living in a wall?

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Raineko

I don't get why people keep saying Duke's jokes are bad. How old are you? 10?
    The Duke always said these jokes and catchphrases wtf did you expect when you bought it?

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

It's not funny, it's embarrassing. No one cares that it's crude.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I think Duke is unpopular because the game is terrible. 

Also, I smell a troll about! 

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bybeach

If the scene ppl. are attacking and defending is the Alien Boob slapping, my reaction was to burst out laughing. What got me was listening to Dukey Boy's pathetic one liners, the combo of boob slapping, milk, the unrelenting shrilling and puking of the women(don't fucking care if it's explained off as morning sickness) oddly effective morbid music, and finally Ryan's sighing and wanting to run. This after a few moments struck me as simply hilarious. I could not imagine a more non sexual sad ass scene. That is when I realized my belated hero, The Dukester himself, had lost his freaking fucking mind. Probably someone had snuck PCP into his steriods, because that was profound disconnect from reality if I had ever seen it. And thats what made me laugh. That and one of the dying impregnated ladies puking at just the right moment to end that whole thing. I won't say though it's the kind of laughing on my part that is pleasant.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Rhaknar

the duke defense force is officially starting to piss me off now. If the game was called Billy Bob Bazooka nobody would complain about reviews saying its shit, since its called duke, all is forgiven and reviewers are out to get you... fucking nostalgia

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BraveToaster

What the fuck is a ganster?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By FreakAche

I don`t think I would call Duke unpopular at all.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By wrighteous86

I played the first third of the game or so before giving up on it and passing it to my roommate. I'd say it's like if you took a predecessor to Prey and tossed in the sensibility and humor from the more recent Leisure Suit Larry games and made a game out of that combination. If that sounds interesting to you, you might like it, but a dull shooter with awful humor wasn't too interesting to me.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Axxol said:
    What the fuck is a ganster?
    A low tier, trainee gangster.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FancySoapsMan

tits

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By amir90

I think duke nukem was overrated before, and I still think he is overrated.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Dogma

What baffles me is that sites that usually have a average scores of 6-7 when something is bad gives this 2-3:s. Its not really that bad. It's not broken to that extent. It feels old and dated, it has some horrible jokes but it's also mixing it up quite good. It's a game with ambitions that fall short in execution. I am no Duke apoligist but I find it wierd that publications are crucifyng Duke Nukem Forever to that extent that they do. it seems really harsh and based on disapointment...or mabey it gives reviewers a good moment to talk about how the medium has the grow. Was someone really expectingthat from this game? Is it a really good game? Nope. Is it among one of the worst games ever? Not by a longshot.

You can dislike the game as a gamer but as a publication it feels like you have to treat games more equal. Duke seems to get some bad special treatment because if it's legacy.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dalai

Was Duke Nukem really ever popular?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I watched the quicklook well half of it, and the game didn't seem THAT bad, and Duke really does seem like an interesting character. 
    I guess you have to play it to realize how bad it really is.  
    @Dalai said:

Duke Nukem 3D.
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By beforet

@lusence said:

Throwing "just joking" at the end of an insult is for pussies!

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By WickedCestus
    @Dalai said:

Duke 3D sold like 2 million copies, so yeah I guess it was. Before my time though...
    UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By UlquioKani

these "duke isn't so bad" threads need to stop

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dalai

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

I watched the quicklook well half of it, and the game didn't seem THAT bad, and Duke really does seem like an interesting character.
    I guess you have to play it to realize how bad it really is.
    @Dalai said:

Duke Nukem 3D.

As someone who owns that game, I still think he was more of a curiosity than popular even back then.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By briangodsoe
    @KingWilly said:
    @briangodsoe said:
    To be fair that was the first time we actually saw what the aliens were doing to the women. I understand some people thinking there was some big joke to the Hive level, but there really wasn't. It was an explicit homage to Aliens and was just as unsettling. Barring the quips over the Holsom Twins, one would get the impression that Duke was actually pretty pissed off over what he saw in The Hive. Hell, even when the Holsom Twins explode into octababies, Duke's first reaction is an expression of anger. The Hive was effective at showing the player (and Duke) just exactly what the aliens were doing and how high the stakes are.   All that said, it was a surprising and I would venture to say well done tonal shift from what came before. Up until The Hive the game had been all dick and fart jokes and a pretty fun romp. It wasn't until The Hive that "shit got real".
    I agree with this but I still feel like they failed to establish a concrete feeling either way. I get that Duke was pissed and that the plan for Earth's women was pretty goddamn dire but then there are wall titties to slap and laugh about.  

I'd be interested to hear why the other aliens are so invested in the continuation and preservation of the Octobrains. But that kind of deeper analysis is not really a Duke Nukem kind of thing.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @briangodsoe said:
    @KingWilly said:
    @briangodsoe said:
    To be fair that was the first time we actually saw what the aliens were doing to the women. I understand some people thinking there was some big joke to the Hive level, but there really wasn't. It was an explicit homage to Aliens and was just as unsettling. Barring the quips over the Holsom Twins, one would get the impression that Duke was actually pretty pissed off over what he saw in The Hive. Hell, even when the Holsom Twins explode into octababies, Duke's first reaction is an expression of anger. The Hive was effective at showing the player (and Duke) just exactly what the aliens were doing and how high the stakes are.   All that said, it was a surprising and I would venture to say well done tonal shift from what came before. Up until The Hive the game had been all dick and fart jokes and a pretty fun romp. It wasn't until The Hive that "shit got real".
    I agree with this but I still feel like they failed to establish a concrete feeling either way. I get that Duke was pissed and that the plan for Earth's women was pretty goddamn dire but then there are wall titties to slap and laugh about.   I'd be interested to hear why the other aliens are so invested in the continuation and preservation of the Octobrains. But that kind of deeper analysis is not really a Duke Nukem kind of thing.
    I feel like the Wall Titties are like every other interactive thing in the game. A neat little odd segment, but not exactly necessary to play or enjoy the game. It could be a poor attempt at adding some light comic relief to an otherwise grim level, or it could've just been "fuck it, alien wall boobs". One can never quite tell with the Duke Nukem people. 

Also, am I the only one who wonders if it's incredibly clever storytelling or entirely incidental that the alien mothership doesn't attack until Duke does? I waited for a good ten minutes for something to happen on my second playthrough.
    Avatar image for kristov_romanov
    kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kristov_romanov
    @Rhaknar said:
    the duke defense force is officially starting to piss me off now. If the game was called Billy Bob Bazooka nobody would complain about reviews saying its shit, since its called duke, all is forgiven and reviewers are out to get you... fucking nostalgia
    ^This 

It's like  they have had 14 years of foreplay without any payoff, and are trying to make it out to be the best orgasm of their life.
    briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By briangodsoe
    @Rhaknar said:
    Likewise with all the people who are pissed that people enjoy the game. People like a game that you don't. And people hate a game that you like. Deal with it.  

Both sides should just move on already.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

We grew up but Duke stayed the same. 

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Beforet said:

@lusence said:

Throwing "just joking" at the end of an insult is for pussies!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By Animasta

@briangodsoe said:

@Rhaknar said:
    Likewise with all the people who are pissed that people enjoy the game. People like a game that you don't. And people hate a game that you like. Deal with it. Both sides should just move on already.

people can like the game all they want, it's this rampant defensive bullshit that's driving everyone up the wall

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By buzz_killington

Unpopularity is for pussies. Blow it out your ass.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Coombs
    @briangodsoe said:

Hell with you all 

That is funny
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By Rhaknar
    @briangodsoe said:
    @Rhaknar said:
    Likewise with all the people who are pissed that people enjoy the game. People like a game that you don't. And people hate a game that you like. Deal with it.   Both sides should just move on already.
    i never said i didnt like it. i havent played it, so i cant pass judgement. it LOOKS terrible (and not just the graphics) but i cant say i like or dislike it. What i said before stands tho, if this was a new IP, nobody would give a fuck about the reviews....like  Matt Hazard, Or Legendary, or Turning Point (just 3 games that look as shit as Duke from the top of my head and nobody cared when reviewers said they were shit)
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

While there have been some who have raised moral issues with Duke Nukem Forever, that's a whole complex problem of its own which I won't go into now. On the whole the complaints about Duke Nukem Forever have not been about its morals, but rather its quality. In a game about war it is accepted that war is bad, we're not supposed to think it's good, and an attempt is never made to make us think so, in Duke Nukem we are presented with a character who's stunningly arrogant, mistreats women, and is amazingly immature, and yet the game uses him as its protagonist, we're meant to like him, and the issue on the whole hasn't been that we think the action's of Duke are immoral in a real-world context, but rather that his attitude and actions just make him an unlikeable douchebag. Of course that's not the only issue with DNFs quality that has been raised, but if you want to find out why else people don't like it you can read one of the many scathing reviews out there.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Rhaknar said:
    @briangodsoe said:
    @Rhaknar said:
    Likewise with all the people who are pissed that people enjoy the game. People like a game that you don't. And people hate a game that you like. Deal with it.   Both sides should just move on already.
    i never said i didnt like it. i havent played it, so i cant pass judgement. it LOOKS terrible (and not just the graphics) but i cant say i like or dislike it. What i said before stands tho, if this was a new IP, nobody would give a fuck about the reviews....like  Matt Hazard, Or Legendary, or Turning Point (just 3 games that look as shit as Duke from the top of my head and nobody cared when reviewers said they were shit)
    That's because they were all 10x shitter than DNF.
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lockwoodx

DUke is unpopular because scrubs like Gerstmann won't admit to being fed spoonfulls of this crap for over a decade. To admit you like DNF means you're not apart of the system.

FIGHT THE SYSTEM. FIGHT THOSE THAT OPPOSE THE DUKE!

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Coombs
    @Gamer_152 said:

While there have been some who have raised moral issues with Duke Nukem Forever, that's a whole complex problem of its own which I won't go into now. On the whole the complaints about Duke Nukem Forever have not been about its morals, but rather its quality. In a game about war it is accepted that war is bad, we're not supposed to think it's good, and an attempt is never made to make us think so, in Duke Nukem we are presented with a character who's stunningly arrogant, mistreats women, and is amazingly immature, and yet the game uses him as its protagonist, we're meant to like him, and the issue on the whole hasn't been that we think the action's of Duke are immoral in a real-world context, but rather that his attitude and actions just make him an unlikeable douchebag. Of course that's not the only issue with DNFs quality that has been raised, but if you want to find out why else people don't like it you can read one of the many scathing reviews out there.

Duke is an amazing Antihero which is perfectly acceptable as a protagonist
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lockwoodx
    @MooseyMcMan said:

I think Duke is unpopular because the game is terrible.  Also, I smell a troll about! 

Why haven't you unlocked any achievements in DNF? Oh that's right, you're posting out your ass just like the rest of the haters. This site has sold out.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@Coombs said:

@Gamer_152 said:

Duke is an amazing Antihero which is perfectly acceptable as a protagonist

I disagree but as the topic of this thread is why Duke is unpopular, perhaps I should have said that his attitude and actions make him an unlikeable douchebag in the eyes of most people. That was really the point I was trying to make.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.