why duke is so unpopular

  • 147 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by lusence (345 posts) -

i mean when you look at video games, games like GTA, leisure suit larry, well tons of ganster games with strip clubs. all these games potray women as sex objects yet no big whoopla! about that really. But this game got shat on due to the same sort of humor... whats the deal? I think it has to do with the FPS market. Its became so big and excepted it was not unusual finding a 10 year old boy playing a FPS like call of duty in front of his mom for hours. Whats the big deal? lol get it? they became so desensitized over time fing WAR is more acceptable than a dirty joke... crazy world we live in friends, where a boob joke can ruin a game, even if its all about shooting stuff and blowing things up.

#2 Posted by DeeGee (2113 posts) -

Remember that time in GTA when you picked up some wet shit and giggled and then flung the shit around?

#3 Posted by lusence (345 posts) -

amazing how video games progress wit time...

#4 Posted by SuperSambo (2853 posts) -

Its not the fact that they are distasteful jokes, it is that they are just terrible jokes that only an idiot would laugh at.

#5 Posted by Revenant86 (156 posts) -
@DeeGee said:

Remember that time in GTA when you picked up some wet shit and giggled and then flung the shit around?

/Thread
#6 Posted by briangodsoe (487 posts) -

I think it has less to do with boob jokes and more to do with a room full of crying, puking, half naked women forcefully impregnated with alien babies while duke slaps some titties on the wall and chuckles saying, "got milk"?

#7 Posted by lusence (345 posts) -

that my friend is an opinion. wtf do you care? did you play the game because you thought it was going to be a comedy extravagansa? so you dont like the jokes.... go play COD with your friends and talk about your lifes... bet thats pretty funny... jk..

#8 Posted by Natesaint (148 posts) -

It's America. Sex ruins lives, remember? Besides, humanity has become so much more sensitive over time. Much like when a woman's breast is tender to the touch. Yeah.
#9 Posted by KarlPilkington (2683 posts) -

@lusence said:

that my friend is an opinion. wtf do you care? did you play the game because you thought it was going to be a comedy extravagansa? so you dont like the jokes.... go play COD with your friends and talk about your lifes... bet thats pretty funny... jk..

What the fuck are you on about?

#10 Posted by briangodsoe (487 posts) -
@lusence: Who are you addressing?  
 
I liked the game but that one part still creeps me the hell out. If people are down about it going too far with the humor, that's the reason.
#11 Posted by pornstorestiffi (4909 posts) -
@Chabbs0 said:

@lusence said:

that my friend is an opinion. wtf do you care? did you play the game because you thought it was going to be a comedy extravagansa? so you dont like the jokes.... go play COD with your friends and talk about your lifes... bet thats pretty funny... jk..

What the fuck are you on about?

I was wondering the same thing.
#12 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4593 posts) -
@briangodsoe said:
I think it has less to do with boob jokes and more to do with a room full of crying, puking, half naked women forcefully impregnated with alien babies while duke slaps some titties on the wall and chuckles saying, "got milk"?
To be fair that was the first time we actually saw what the aliens were doing to the women. I understand some people thinking there was some big joke to the Hive level, but there really wasn't. It was an explicit homage to Aliens and was just as unsettling. Barring the quips over the Holsom Twins, one would get the impression that Duke was actually pretty pissed off over what he saw in The Hive. Hell, even when the Holsom Twins explode into octababies, Duke's first reaction is an expression of anger. The Hive was effective at showing the player (and Duke) just exactly what the aliens were doing and how high the stakes are. 
  
All that said, it was a surprising and I would venture to say well done tonal shift from what came before. Up until The Hive the game had been all dick and fart jokes and a pretty fun romp. It wasn't until The Hive that "shit got real".
#13 Posted by ProfessorEss (7280 posts) -

For me it's as simple as the joke not being even a little bit funny.

#14 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

It's not that people find the humor offensive because of the subject matter but that it's grossly unfunny.

#15 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

It's not so much the dirty jokes as it is the dated game design. You have to remember that people started developing this game about 14 years ago, and Gearbox just took this lifeless product, made it somewhat playable, and shipped it. There have been so many changes in game design over the 14 years this game has been in "development" that the game seems to be stuck in the past. The mature humor is a staple of Duke's legacy, but cheesy one-liners don't make up for bad game design.

#16 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

Remember that time in GTA when you picked up some wet shit and giggled and then flung the shit around?

Or when you slapped pairs of boobs in an area with naked moaning girls who look like they're being violated by an organic alien thing living in a wall?

#17 Posted by Raineko (433 posts) -

I don't get why people keep saying Duke's jokes are bad. How old are you? 10?
The Duke always said these jokes and catchphrases wtf did you expect when you bought it?

#18 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

It's not funny, it's embarrassing. No one cares that it's crude.

#19 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10470 posts) -

I think Duke is unpopular because the game is terrible. 
 
Also, I smell a troll about! 

Online
#20 Posted by bybeach (4724 posts) -

If the scene ppl. are attacking and defending is the Alien Boob slapping, my reaction was to burst out laughing. What got me was listening to Dukey Boy's pathetic one liners, the combo of boob slapping, milk, the unrelenting shrilling and puking of the women(don't fucking care if it's explained off as morning sickness) oddly effective morbid music, and finally Ryan's sighing and wanting to run. This after a few moments struck me as simply hilarious. I could not imagine a more non sexual sad ass scene. That is when I realized my belated hero, The Dukester himself, had lost his freaking fucking mind. Probably someone had snuck PCP into his steriods, because that was profound disconnect from reality if I had ever seen it. And thats what made me laugh. That and one of the dying impregnated ladies puking at just the right moment to end that whole thing. I won't say though it's the kind of laughing on my part that is pleasant.

#21 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

the duke defense force is officially starting to piss me off now. If the game was called Billy Bob Bazooka nobody would complain about reviews saying its shit, since its called duke, all is forgiven and reviewers are out to get you... fucking nostalgia

#22 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

What the fuck is a ganster?

#23 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

I don`t think I would call Duke unpopular at all.

#24 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3743 posts) -

I played the first third of the game or so before giving up on it and passing it to my roommate. I'd say it's like if you took a predecessor to Prey and tossed in the sensibility and humor from the more recent Leisure Suit Larry games and made a game out of that combination. If that sounds interesting to you, you might like it, but a dull shooter with awful humor wasn't too interesting to me.

#25 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@Axxol said:
What the fuck is a ganster?
A low tier, trainee gangster.
#26 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

tits

#27 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

I think duke nukem was overrated before, and I still think he is overrated.

#28 Posted by Dogma (943 posts) -

What baffles me is that sites that usually have a average scores of 6-7 when something is bad gives this 2-3:s. Its not really that bad. It's not broken to that extent. It feels old and dated, it has some horrible jokes but it's also mixing it up quite good. It's a game with ambitions that fall short in execution. I am no Duke apoligist but I find it wierd that publications are crucifyng Duke Nukem Forever to that extent that they do. it seems really harsh and based on disapointment...or mabey it gives reviewers a good moment to talk about how the medium has the grow. Was someone really expectingthat from this game? Is it a really good game? Nope. Is it among one of the worst games ever? Not by a longshot.

You can dislike the game as a gamer but as a publication it feels like you have to treat games more equal. Duke seems to get some bad special treatment because if it's legacy.

#29 Posted by Dalai (6995 posts) -

Was Duke Nukem really ever popular?

#30 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I watched the quicklook well half of it, and the game didn't seem THAT bad, and Duke really does seem like an interesting character. 
I guess you have to play it to realize how bad it really is.  
@Dalai said:

Was Duke Nukem really ever popular?

Duke Nukem 3D.
#31 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

@lusence said:

that my friend is an opinion. wtf do you care? did you play the game because you thought it was going to be a comedy extravagansa? so you dont like the jokes.... go play COD with your friends and talk about your lifes... bet thats pretty funny... jk..

Throwing "just joking" at the end of an insult is for pussies!

#32 Posted by supermike6 (3540 posts) -
@Dalai said:

Was Duke Nukem really ever popular?

Duke 3D sold like 2 million copies, so yeah I guess it was. Before my time though...
#33 Posted by UlquioKani (1026 posts) -

these "duke isn't so bad" threads need to stop

#34 Posted by Dalai (6995 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

I watched the quicklook well half of it, and the game didn't seem THAT bad, and Duke really does seem like an interesting character.
I guess you have to play it to realize how bad it really is.
@Dalai said:

Was Duke Nukem really ever popular?

Duke Nukem 3D.

As someone who owns that game, I still think he was more of a curiosity than popular even back then.

#35 Posted by briangodsoe (487 posts) -
@KingWilly said:
@briangodsoe said:
I think it has less to do with boob jokes and more to do with a room full of crying, puking, half naked women forcefully impregnated with alien babies while duke slaps some titties on the wall and chuckles saying, "got milk"?
To be fair that was the first time we actually saw what the aliens were doing to the women. I understand some people thinking there was some big joke to the Hive level, but there really wasn't. It was an explicit homage to Aliens and was just as unsettling. Barring the quips over the Holsom Twins, one would get the impression that Duke was actually pretty pissed off over what he saw in The Hive. Hell, even when the Holsom Twins explode into octababies, Duke's first reaction is an expression of anger. The Hive was effective at showing the player (and Duke) just exactly what the aliens were doing and how high the stakes are.   All that said, it was a surprising and I would venture to say well done tonal shift from what came before. Up until The Hive the game had been all dick and fart jokes and a pretty fun romp. It wasn't until The Hive that "shit got real".
I agree with this but I still feel like they failed to establish a concrete feeling either way. I get that Duke was pissed and that the plan for Earth's women was pretty goddamn dire but then there are wall titties to slap and laugh about.  
 
I'd be interested to hear why the other aliens are so invested in the continuation and preservation of the Octobrains. But that kind of deeper analysis is not really a Duke Nukem kind of thing.
#36 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4593 posts) -
@briangodsoe said:
@KingWilly said:
@briangodsoe said:
I think it has less to do with boob jokes and more to do with a room full of crying, puking, half naked women forcefully impregnated with alien babies while duke slaps some titties on the wall and chuckles saying, "got milk"?
To be fair that was the first time we actually saw what the aliens were doing to the women. I understand some people thinking there was some big joke to the Hive level, but there really wasn't. It was an explicit homage to Aliens and was just as unsettling. Barring the quips over the Holsom Twins, one would get the impression that Duke was actually pretty pissed off over what he saw in The Hive. Hell, even when the Holsom Twins explode into octababies, Duke's first reaction is an expression of anger. The Hive was effective at showing the player (and Duke) just exactly what the aliens were doing and how high the stakes are.   All that said, it was a surprising and I would venture to say well done tonal shift from what came before. Up until The Hive the game had been all dick and fart jokes and a pretty fun romp. It wasn't until The Hive that "shit got real".
I agree with this but I still feel like they failed to establish a concrete feeling either way. I get that Duke was pissed and that the plan for Earth's women was pretty goddamn dire but then there are wall titties to slap and laugh about.   I'd be interested to hear why the other aliens are so invested in the continuation and preservation of the Octobrains. But that kind of deeper analysis is not really a Duke Nukem kind of thing.
I feel like the Wall Titties are like every other interactive thing in the game. A neat little odd segment, but not exactly necessary to play or enjoy the game. It could be a poor attempt at adding some light comic relief to an otherwise grim level, or it could've just been "fuck it, alien wall boobs". One can never quite tell with the Duke Nukem people. 
 
Also, am I the only one who wonders if it's incredibly clever storytelling or entirely incidental that the alien mothership doesn't attack until Duke does? I waited for a good ten minutes for something to happen on my second playthrough.
#37 Posted by kristov_romanov (452 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
the duke defense force is officially starting to piss me off now. If the game was called Billy Bob Bazooka nobody would complain about reviews saying its shit, since its called duke, all is forgiven and reviewers are out to get you... fucking nostalgia
^This 
 
It's like  they have had 14 years of foreplay without any payoff, and are trying to make it out to be the best orgasm of their life.
#38 Posted by briangodsoe (487 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
the duke defense force is officially starting to piss me off now. If the game was called Billy Bob Bazooka nobody would complain about reviews saying its shit, since its called duke, all is forgiven and reviewers are out to get you... fucking nostalgia
Likewise with all the people who are pissed that people enjoy the game. People like a game that you don't. And people hate a game that you like. Deal with it.  
 
Both sides should just move on already.
#39 Posted by bartok (2420 posts) -

We grew up but Duke stayed the same. 

#40 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3962 posts) -
@Beforet said:

@lusence said:

that my friend is an opinion. wtf do you care? did you play the game because you thought it was going to be a comedy extravagansa? so you dont like the jokes.... go play COD with your friends and talk about your lifes... bet thats pretty funny... jk..

Throwing "just joking" at the end of an insult is for pussies!

#41 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@briangodsoe said:

@Rhaknar said:
the duke defense force is officially starting to piss me off now. If the game was called Billy Bob Bazooka nobody would complain about reviews saying its shit, since its called duke, all is forgiven and reviewers are out to get you... fucking nostalgia
Likewise with all the people who are pissed that people enjoy the game. People like a game that you don't. And people hate a game that you like. Deal with it. Both sides should just move on already.

people can like the game all they want, it's this rampant defensive bullshit that's driving everyone up the wall

#42 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Unpopularity is for pussies. Blow it out your ass.

#43 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@briangodsoe said:

I think it has less to do with boob jokes and more to do with a room full of crying, puking, half naked women forcefully impregnated with alien babies while duke slaps some titties on the wall and chuckles saying, "got milk"?

Hell with you all 
 
That is funny
#44 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@briangodsoe said:
@Rhaknar said:
the duke defense force is officially starting to piss me off now. If the game was called Billy Bob Bazooka nobody would complain about reviews saying its shit, since its called duke, all is forgiven and reviewers are out to get you... fucking nostalgia
Likewise with all the people who are pissed that people enjoy the game. People like a game that you don't. And people hate a game that you like. Deal with it.   Both sides should just move on already.
i never said i didnt like it. i havent played it, so i cant pass judgement. it LOOKS terrible (and not just the graphics) but i cant say i like or dislike it. What i said before stands tho, if this was a new IP, nobody would give a fuck about the reviews....like  Matt Hazard, Or Legendary, or Turning Point (just 3 games that look as shit as Duke from the top of my head and nobody cared when reviewers said they were shit)
#45 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

While there have been some who have raised moral issues with Duke Nukem Forever, that's a whole complex problem of its own which I won't go into now. On the whole the complaints about Duke Nukem Forever have not been about its morals, but rather its quality. In a game about war it is accepted that war is bad, we're not supposed to think it's good, and an attempt is never made to make us think so, in Duke Nukem we are presented with a character who's stunningly arrogant, mistreats women, and is amazingly immature, and yet the game uses him as its protagonist, we're meant to like him, and the issue on the whole hasn't been that we think the action's of Duke are immoral in a real-world context, but rather that his attitude and actions just make him an unlikeable douchebag. Of course that's not the only issue with DNFs quality that has been raised, but if you want to find out why else people don't like it you can read one of the many scathing reviews out there.

Moderator
#46 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3962 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
@briangodsoe said:
@Rhaknar said:
the duke defense force is officially starting to piss me off now. If the game was called Billy Bob Bazooka nobody would complain about reviews saying its shit, since its called duke, all is forgiven and reviewers are out to get you... fucking nostalgia
Likewise with all the people who are pissed that people enjoy the game. People like a game that you don't. And people hate a game that you like. Deal with it.   Both sides should just move on already.
i never said i didnt like it. i havent played it, so i cant pass judgement. it LOOKS terrible (and not just the graphics) but i cant say i like or dislike it. What i said before stands tho, if this was a new IP, nobody would give a fuck about the reviews....like  Matt Hazard, Or Legendary, or Turning Point (just 3 games that look as shit as Duke from the top of my head and nobody cared when reviewers said they were shit)
That's because they were all 10x shitter than DNF.
#47 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

DUke is unpopular because scrubs like Gerstmann won't admit to being fed spoonfulls of this crap for over a decade. To admit you like DNF means you're not apart of the system.
 
FIGHT THE SYSTEM. FIGHT THOSE THAT OPPOSE THE DUKE!

#48 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@Gamer_152 said:

While there have been some who have raised moral issues with Duke Nukem Forever, that's a whole complex problem of its own which I won't go into now. On the whole the complaints about Duke Nukem Forever have not been about its morals, but rather its quality. In a game about war it is accepted that war is bad, we're not supposed to think it's good, and an attempt is never made to make us think so, in Duke Nukem we are presented with a character who's stunningly arrogant, mistreats women, and is amazingly immature, and yet the game uses him as its protagonist, we're meant to like him, and the issue on the whole hasn't been that we think the action's of Duke are immoral in a real-world context, but rather that his attitude and actions just make him an unlikeable douchebag. Of course that's not the only issue with DNFs quality that has been raised, but if you want to find out why else people don't like it you can read one of the many scathing reviews out there.

Duke is an amazing Antihero which is perfectly acceptable as a protagonist
#49 Edited by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

I think Duke is unpopular because the game is terrible.  Also, I smell a troll about! 

Why haven't you unlocked any achievements in DNF? Oh that's right, you're posting out your ass just like the rest of the haters. This site has sold out.
#50 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

@Coombs said:

@Gamer_152 said:

While there have been some who have raised moral issues with Duke Nukem Forever, that's a whole complex problem of its own which I won't go into now. On the whole the complaints about Duke Nukem Forever have not been about its morals, but rather its quality. In a game about war it is accepted that war is bad, we're not supposed to think it's good, and an attempt is never made to make us think so, in Duke Nukem we are presented with a character who's stunningly arrogant, mistreats women, and is amazingly immature, and yet the game uses him as its protagonist, we're meant to like him, and the issue on the whole hasn't been that we think the action's of Duke are immoral in a real-world context, but rather that his attitude and actions just make him an unlikeable douchebag. Of course that's not the only issue with DNFs quality that has been raised, but if you want to find out why else people don't like it you can read one of the many scathing reviews out there.

Duke is an amazing Antihero which is perfectly acceptable as a protagonist

I disagree but as the topic of this thread is why Duke is unpopular, perhaps I should have said that his attitude and actions make him an unlikeable douchebag in the eyes of most people. That was really the point I was trying to make.

Moderator

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.