Would you buy the next Duke game by Gearbox?

#1 Posted by TinyGrasshopper (231 posts) -

Just curious. It might actually be good. I have to say, as banal and mediocre this game turned out to be, I'd buy the next Gearbox Duke for sure. Especially if they took all this criticism to heart and modernized his character a little bit, wrote better lines for him, and actually paced the game to be genuinely exciting, not whatever this turned out to be.

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

It would be a fully different game. They did not mess with the core stuff. They polished it up and made sure nothing was super broken. 

#3 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1335 posts) -

Hella damn no

#4 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Probably not, unless it was fully realized in a modern context and actually pushed something forward. I highly doubt that'll happen, though.

#5 Posted by Zippedbinders (1018 posts) -

I like Gearbox games, so yeah, most likely.

#6 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Probably. I want to give Duke another chance.

#7 Posted by TinyGrasshopper (231 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: I know. But now that the name is theirs, the next game will fully be theirs. The real question is, can they fix Duke Nukem at this point or has there been too much ire built up at this point. How good a game does the next one have to be to fix the illwill at this point? What would you like to see in the next Duke?

#8 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

I will always bet on duke. Even if I shouldn't. yes

#9 Posted by HatKing (6025 posts) -

I don't get why.  The character is a total womanizing douche bag. 

I would only play it if you played as somebody other than Duke Nukem who is out to reveal to the world how big of a jerk he is.

#10 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

Most likely. The way I figure it Gearbox just said "Okay. We got the license. Lets just release this overheated pile of crap and get started on our own Duke Nukem game as soon as fucking possible."

#11 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

I don't know. They'd have to heavily work on Duke as a character because I didn't find anything redeeming to him in DNF.

#12 Posted by supermike6 (3586 posts) -

If it's a good game that I want to play, I will probably buy it.

#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -

I don't know. It depends on what the game is.

#14 Posted by BeachThunder (12096 posts) -

Maybe (but unlikely). We'll just have to wait and see what the next game is like; Gearbox seem capable of creating stuff on both ends of the quality spectrum.

#15 Posted by SockLobster (456 posts) -

Pointless question, I buy good games, no matter the franchise.

I either rent or just don't play bad games.

Yeah, I know, I'm pretty out there.

#16 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

Most likely. As long as Gearbox actually made the game themselves instead of cleaning up 3D Realms leftovers.

#17 Posted by President_Barackbar (3467 posts) -

Yeah, I would. I think that if Gearbox had thrown out what existed of DNF and made a different game, it wouldve been a lot better.

#18 Posted by ajamafalous (12042 posts) -

I always bet on Duke.

#19 Posted by RTSlord (1201 posts) -

i hate duke nukem, so no

#20 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

If they skew the whole franchise more towards something like the gaming equivalent of The Naked Gun movies, and the gameplay is solid (which Gearbox is a master at), why not??

#21 Posted by SomeJerk (3305 posts) -

If they consolized the PC version of it I would not because MAKELOVETO Gearbox and everything they've done to their PC games since Opposing Forces came out. I'd like a game with a FOV that is not so deep that console players complain and mouse movement that works.

#22 Edited by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

Absolutely! Once the "pieced together over 15 years through multiple engine changes and multiple design changes and a list of staff to fill a zip code" version is out of the way Gearbox can rework the next Duke Nukem into a modern FUN game. It will be an uphill battle considering the reviews of this game will stick in peoples minds for a long time. The first step is updating the Duke character by toning him down some. Sure let the guy be cocky but it doesn't have to be so over the top with pissing and twins givin him pleasure. The best part of Duke was the comedy and the multiplayer. Damn I miss those pipe bombs and trip wires!

If they can make a Duke game that is half as fun as Borderlands I'm there day one.

#23 Posted by shamroll (145 posts) -

I might but I would wait until after the reviews came out before I placed my order.  It would not be a pre-order for sure.

#24 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -

Maybe... if it looked more... fun.

#25 Posted by JohnDudebro (924 posts) -

People. Should we sometimes bet on Duke? Sure, we lost everything on that last bet, but we made a promise here.

ALWAYS BET ON DUKE. ALWAYS.

#26 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

IF Gearbox designs it from the ground up  I will. (I wish I knew how much of that game was thought up by them)

#27 Edited by Loose (419 posts) -

If the core gameplay is good and the writing is much much better then I don't see why not. There really was nothing redeeming about the "humour" in DNF, but there is potential for a legitimately funny Duke Nukem game if the writing is way more self-aware/satirical.

#28 Posted by Brendan (7845 posts) -

Why does everyone assume that Duke Nukem is making some big comeback? It thought that DNF was done because Randy started out at 3D Realms and released it as a bit of a passion project for all the people that he used to work with. Some decent money has been made off of it, but what makes people so sure that this is a springboard for something bigger?

#29 Posted by fr0sterson (57 posts) -

I reckon Gearbox would make a pretty epic Duke game, so yeah I would

#30 Posted by Seedofpower (3940 posts) -

Yeah I would buy the next one. Pretty happy I didn't play this one.

#31 Edited by fr0sterson (57 posts) -

@Brendan: I'm pretty sure Randy Pitchford was talking about sequels somewhere. He seems like a dude that would give his right arm before he let Duke die on his watch anyway

#32 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -

Maybe if it's good, but hopefully they make the character less shit.

#33 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I'll probably never touch a Duke Nukem game again.

#34 Posted by Luck3ySe7en (240 posts) -

Right now, shooters are starting to all seem the same. The only thing duke has to stand out among the crowd is funny/satirical/sexy storytelling... and even that cant carry a game, no matter how many virtual boobs you throw in there.

#35 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Depends, is it any good? That's always the question. I can't think of anything I would want to buy if it was like Duke Nukem Forever.

#36 Posted by Subjugation (4725 posts) -

@Brendan: If you purchase the IP you probably ought to do something with it. I would think they would at least.

@OP , I feel like people won't stop crying about Duke until they just make it Duke Nukem: Modern Warfare. I mean, apparently that's what you have to do to succeed right?

#37 Posted by Agent47 (1901 posts) -
@TinyGrasshopper: Well of course why not.What people seem to not know is that Gearbox didn't have full development on DNF.It was scrapped numerous times and each company had to pick it up from the start.Which was most likely stressing and nerve wrecking trying to get the game public and functional.At least now Gearbox can give it their full attention and it might be an  interesting sequel.
#38 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Yeah since I'm convinced that it's not the Gearbox part of the game that's bad

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.