Quick Look does not do this game justice

#1 Posted by Crazysmurf (2 posts) -

I LOVE quick looks. It is my favorite part of this site and most of them give a great idea of what game is and how it plays. However, this one fails to show what this game has to offer. I think this is because a game as complex as this demands a better first experience than what the developer provided. The game starts out looking like a very simple tower defense game with four very unbalanced classes.

The squire epitomizes the word overpowered in the first section of the game. His towers are second to none and can still murder enemies at a quick pace. And the other three classes are mainly either good at combat alone (huntress), have sub-par towers (apprentice), or a supportive role (monk). The game quickly shifts away from that set up though especially in the higher difficulties. The monk has auras and which are necessary to beating the harder challenges especially if under geared. The huntresses traps do amazing damage in the mid game while taking down the harder monsters with ease with her weapon. The apprentice can build / repair towers amazingly fast, set off an oh shit mana bomb that clears out everything around him, and has the highest damaging towers.

More than just all 4 classes becoming useful this game has depth in the sheer amount of modes available. Solo play, co-op, pvp (kinda awful but its here), Pure Strategy Mode (only can build towers, no combat), Mix Mode (changes up the monster types attacking at random VERY HARD), Survival Mode, and 12 challenge missions. Each mode is up to the person to decide if they are fun, but they add a layer a depth and longevity unrivaled by any other tower defense game.

#2 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1174 posts) -

Cool... What?

#3 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

deal with it? it's just a game

#4 Posted by BoFooQ (620 posts) -

This game is great, love all the loot. There are a bunch of levels and the differance between easy and hard are huge. I don't what the level cap is but someone said 75, the highest I've seen is 50. currently my biggest issue is that I made one of all 4 players and keep switching back and forth. The best possible group is one of each player working together but that rarely happens.

#5 Posted by Annai (19 posts) -

Quick Looks are just that, but I agree the game is very fun, particularly in multiplayer. My boys and I have been playing, and while not the greatest experience screen-sharing on a 32" HDTV, we're still having a blast. My one gripe would be that the way they handle defensive units could be better. In a 3-player game, we often rely mostly on the Squire's towers because they're immune to elemental resistances, leaving the monk and the apprentice mostly left with repair/upgrade duty when not killing mobs directly. Seems they could do a better job making all three players share equally in defense building. Very fun the the difficulty levels are continuing to provide a challenge to our mid-20s and 30s characters.

#6 Posted by NyxFe (248 posts) -

I agree, this game is excellent, but takes a bit of playing before it becomes obvious.

@BoFooQ said:

This game is great, love all the loot. There are a bunch of levels and the differance between easy and hard are huge. I don't what the level cap is but someone said 75, the highest I've seen is 50. currently my biggest issue is that I made one of all 4 players and keep switching back and forth. The best possible group is one of each player working together but that rarely happens.

Level cap is currently 70, but apparently they are raising it soon with some content updates.

@Annai said:

Quick Looks are just that, but I agree the game is very fun, particularly in multiplayer. My boys and I have been playing, and while not the greatest experience screen-sharing on a 32" HDTV, we're still having a blast. My one gripe would be that the way they handle defensive units could be better. In a 3-player game, we often rely mostly on the Squire's towers because they're immune to elemental resistances, leaving the monk and the apprentice mostly left with repair/upgrade duty when not killing mobs directly. Seems they could do a better job making all three players share equally in defense building. Very fun the the difficulty levels are continuing to provide a challenge to our mid-20s and 30s characters.

I tend to find Lightning Aura + Fireball Tower far more effective than any squire towers on anything other than a narrow path (which can be locked down with a single bowling ball). But then again, I'm playing the last couple levels on insane so the necessity for optimization is there.

#7 Posted by Annai (19 posts) -

@NyxFe: @NyxFe said:

I tend to find Lightning Aura + Fireball Tower far more effective than any squire towers on anything other than a narrow path (which can be locked down with a single bowling ball). But then again, I'm playing the last couple levels on insane so the necessity for optimization is there.

We've been doing the last section on Hard and it could be the character builds. I dumped a lot of points into tower damage and health where the two of them split their points a bit more between towers and character. That may explain my preference for using Squire towers. Slice-N-Dice towers backed up by Ball turrets and Ballistas seem to make quick work of most groups and only swarms of Wizards cause us much trouble. Kind of a wide range of levels, too, which make the Squire towers tougher as I have more points to use overall.

Hoping the content updates come to the PS3. We didn't get the Halloween update, which is kind of a bummer since it was $15 on all platforms but only some got the free DLC so far...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.