Square Enix, Obsidian Bringing Dungeon Siege 3 To Consoles

• 60 results
Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

Today, Square Enix announced that it would be publishing the latest installment in the Dungeon Siege franchise. This deal is probably the result of Square's partnership with series' developer Gas Powered Games, which saw the release of Supreme Commander 2 last March. However, while Gas Powered Games founder and original Dungeon Siege designer Chris Taylor will be overseeing this latest installment in the franchise, his company will not be handling the development of the the game. Instead, Square Enix has given developer duties to Obsidian Entertainment, the company behind Alpha Protocol and the currently-in-development Fallout: New Vegas

You guys thought Diablo 3 looked too colorful? Fine. Here you go. Darkness. Happy now?
Not only will Obsidian be responsible for maintaining and improving the mechanics that defined the original game (its well-designed UI, fast-paced action, and mountains of loot) but also for bringing the series to the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, in addition to the PC. This will mark the first console releases for the Dungeon Siege franchise. No doubt this was another reason Square Enix sought out Obsidian for the game's development, which has more experience developing console games than Gas Powered Games.

Between Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: New Vegas, and now Dungeon Siege 3, Obsidian has further cemented its reputation as de facto RPG developer of sequels to other developers' franchises. It's a weird legacy for a company, especially in the context of how many more developers recently are seeking out development deals that allow them to control their original game IPs. To see a company that can handle being handed so many different beloved franchises--and can create a successful game inside of that established world--is a rarity.    

Here are the first few screenshots of the game:

We'll see how this new Dungeon Siege game pans out; there's no firm information about a release date, but with Obsidian still finishing up Fallout: New Vegas, I imagine it's a pretty safe bet we won't see DS3 until next year at the least.  What do you folks want to see from this latest Dungeon Siege game? Do you think this game's announcement is designed to take advantage of the excitement surrounding Diablo III? And, most importantly, is the movie canon?
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

Today, Square Enix announced that it would be publishing the latest installment in the Dungeon Siege franchise. This deal is probably the result of Square's partnership with series' developer Gas Powered Games, which saw the release of Supreme Commander 2 last March. However, while Gas Powered Games founder and original Dungeon Siege designer Chris Taylor will be overseeing this latest installment in the franchise, his company will not be handling the development of the the game. Instead, Square Enix has given developer duties to Obsidian Entertainment, the company behind Alpha Protocol and the currently-in-development Fallout: New Vegas

You guys thought Diablo 3 looked too colorful? Fine. Here you go. Darkness. Happy now?
Not only will Obsidian be responsible for maintaining and improving the mechanics that defined the original game (its well-designed UI, fast-paced action, and mountains of loot) but also for bringing the series to the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, in addition to the PC. This will mark the first console releases for the Dungeon Siege franchise. No doubt this was another reason Square Enix sought out Obsidian for the game's development, which has more experience developing console games than Gas Powered Games.

Between Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: New Vegas, and now Dungeon Siege 3, Obsidian has further cemented its reputation as de facto RPG developer of sequels to other developers' franchises. It's a weird legacy for a company, especially in the context of how many more developers recently are seeking out development deals that allow them to control their original game IPs. To see a company that can handle being handed so many different beloved franchises--and can create a successful game inside of that established world--is a rarity.    

Here are the first few screenshots of the game:

We'll see how this new Dungeon Siege game pans out; there's no firm information about a release date, but with Obsidian still finishing up Fallout: New Vegas, I imagine it's a pretty safe bet we won't see DS3 until next year at the least.  What do you folks want to see from this latest Dungeon Siege game? Do you think this game's announcement is designed to take advantage of the excitement surrounding Diablo III? And, most importantly, is the movie canon?
#2 Posted by EndrzGame (323 posts) -

sweet!

#3 Posted by Solh0und (1855 posts) -

I Lol'ed at the "Don't tell Uwe Boll" part. Btw first?

#4 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Holy shit yes! i'll take some more dungeon siege any day of the week! :D

#5 Posted by Keithcrash (103 posts) -

WOW!  Looks amazing!

#6 Posted by teh_destroyer (3574 posts) -

those look cool.

#7 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

AWESOME! E3 2010 will be awesome. I can't wait to hear more about so many games and now including Dungeon Siege 3!

#8 Posted by damswedon (3202 posts) -

Yes Matt the movie is canon you play the Great Grandson of Farmer.

#9 Posted by Castro (951 posts) -

Am I the only one that gets Dungeon Siege confused with Dungeon Keeper? Also, are those screenshots or concept art?

#10 Posted by Milkman (17341 posts) -
@Castro said:
" Am I the only one that gets Dungeon Siege confused with Dungeon Keeper? Also, are those screenshots or concept art? "
Looks like concept art to me.
#11 Posted by Gutlieb (87 posts) -

That artwork looks beautiful!

#12 Posted by Jayzilla (2573 posts) -

umm, not so sweet. With Obsidian at the helm, this game will be SOOO buggy. The story should be great though. When I just want great story, I watch a good film though. Pass.

#13 Posted by EricWinholt (52 posts) -

I loved the first dungeon siege. I have the second one installed, right now, actually, I think. I never played it, though.

I think those "screenshots" are concept art, right? Otherwise Obsidian is doing some truly filthy shit with their game engine.

Regardless! I can't wait. Between this and the next Red Faction being announced today, next year is looking pretty effing rad.

#14 Posted by mosdl (3259 posts) -

So is this why Alpha Protocol was so janky - Obsidian is stretched out too thin

#15 Posted by zaglis (910 posts) -

Stop giving Obsidian games to ruin!

#16 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -

I like me some dungeon siege but obsidian? thats kinda weirding me out

#17 Posted by Metal_Mills (3049 posts) -

Get ready for some horrible bugs and performance issues, console folks.

#18 Posted by Zoombini (64 posts) -

I have to admit, I am not a fan of Obsidian. They seem to make games that are, although interesting, ultimately fairly abrasive and unenjoyable. So my interest in this is fairly low. However I'll give its trailers a fair look.

#19 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

It's a shame the actual game won't wind up looking as good as those concept art images. And I'm very wary of Obsidian's track record.

#20 Posted by PapaLazarou (711 posts) -

Another PC franchise ruined by the console tards.

#21 Posted by shrig32 (151 posts) -

Dungeon Siege has saw console releases before, for the psp. Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony =)

#22 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Yeah the "screenshots" are art work. 
NWN2 was fantastic (23 patches later) and knowing their track record I know Obisidian will do a great job with DS3.  
But I'm curious what engine are they using though...

#23 Posted by darkjester74 (1597 posts) -

Sigh...

I really wish you so-called journalists would learn to get even your most basic facts straight.

Concept art != Screenshots

#24 Posted by VaultDweller (46 posts) -

I love Obsidian and will definitely be interested in the PC version of DS3.  So far I'm really enjoying Alpha Protocol and will probably replay it after I finish my first run.

#25 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12134 posts) -
@PapaLazarou said:
" Another PC franchise ruined by the console tards. "
Oh yes. Because putting a Diablo clone on a console ruins the deep gameplay of clicking the mouse and getting loot. Oh wait. 

#26 Posted by jimbofluffy (14 posts) -

I enjoyed the first two games, I am curious to how this will turn out.

#27 Posted by Seedofpower (3949 posts) -

I'll pass, I wasn't to thrilled by the last one.

#28 Edited by Ghostiet (5341 posts) -

Oh, Obsidian. So it's going to have a great story (I am deliberately ignoring the ending of NWN2, and let's never speak about it again) and cool mechanics, but it's going to be clunky as fuck and riddled with bugs. Hey, just like Troika!

#29 Posted by Aleryn (705 posts) -

HELL YEAH! BRING IT ON!  WANT WANT WANT!  HATE playing Diablo/Torchlight/Etc games by clicking a damn mouse every quarter second to tell the little bastard where to go.  Even holding the button down to move gets old.  MUCH PREFER using a gamepad for that style of game.  Works great in Sacred II.

Or hell, just let people play that stuff on PC with a gamepad.  Just hate all the damn clicking when using a mouse.  Or make them control like MMOs - highlight a target, and be locked to that one til you change targets.  THAT fixes all the damn clicking annoyance as well, without a gamepad.

Errrr yeah that's quite the tangent I had there, heh.... ANY WAY - Very cool, thanks Bomb!

#30 Posted by Jimbo (10007 posts) -

The title to this article is pretty badly worded.  It implies Dungeon Siege 3 is either already on PC, or not coming to PC - neither is accurate.

#31 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -

Another game I have to put on my "must buy charter". O.o

#32 Posted by tactis (355 posts) -

YES!!! HELL YESSS!! I LOVED the first DS and its expansion, dint really get a chance to play the sequel that much, but hopefully DS3 does not disappoint. 

#33 Posted by PJ (1158 posts) -

The first thing Obsidian should do is get some tech talent. They are by far the worst developer when it comes to tech. They make Bethesda look like technological masterminds. If they fuck this one up, then I will be so fucking pissed. I've given up on Fallout New Vegas already, it will most likely be shit technicaly but ok/good story wise.

#34 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -

Obsidian? I guess this game'll have good writing and dialogue, but terrible gameplay, graphics, and polish.

#35 Posted by DrWhat (291 posts) -

That's some beautiful art.

I have to agree with everyone else, though: Obsidian? Get your shit together.

#36 Posted by ToxicFruit (1719 posts) -

hmm I wonder how they are going to do this, 1 and 2 were very mouse and keyboard heavy. 

#37 Edited by Venatio (4493 posts) -

Haven't really played the Dungeon Siege games, but I'm glad that it's coming to consoles and I hope that Obsidian doesn't fuck it up

#38 Posted by theveej (854 posts) -

I hope this will be POLISHED.... don't want another KOTOR II or Alpha protocl.

and I hope to god new vegas is somewhat polished (it got to have jank to make fallout 3 proud) and not half assed

#39 Edited by Jeust (10863 posts) -
@theveej said:
" I hope this will be POLISHED.... don't want another KOTOR II or Alpha protocl.  and I hope to god new vegas is somewhat polished (it got to have jank to make fallout 3 proud) and not half assed "  

It can be awesome. I just hope they polish the technical side of the game. 
#40 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

I enjoyed DS1 and the expansion quite a bit, it was a unique game.
But DS2 decided it wanted to be more like Diablo albeit with better and richer story quests and crappier mechanics/loot balance.
I think it's not hard to predict that DS3 will go the way of the second one and will be something closely resembling Diablo3.

#41 Posted by RobbieMac (535 posts) -

I loved DS1 I played that game for ages and I was actually playing it again a couple months ago, but I wasn't impressed by DS2.  So I guess we will have to wait and see the direction this game goes.

#42 Posted by Crono11 (1651 posts) -

Tom Mc Shea is totally right about Obsidian. They really are a sloppy seconds developer.

#43 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Looks good.  It'll probably continue to look good when I don't buy it.  I found DS to be pretty dull by Diablo-clone standards.

#44 Posted by ch3burashka (5260 posts) -

DS was my first and only dungeon crawler. I'm fairly excited for this, though it's interesting that Gas Powered won't be actually developing this. Apparently they're making Kings and Castles or something, which sounds dumb.

#45 Posted by Chewii101 (822 posts) -

Has Obsidian ever made a notable game not a sequel of another company's franchise?

#46 Posted by MeatSim (10944 posts) -

Obsidian seems to be the man if you have a RPG sequel but you don't want to make it and need to hand it off to somebody else.

#47 Posted by Mechanized (340 posts) -

I looooooooooooove Dungeon Siege, but PLEASE, for the love of Christ do not fuck this up. It's pretty much a sure thing the story will be awesome, but if they fuck up the combat of Dungeon Siege I will be pissed.

#48 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

Never played a Dungeon Siege game so hopefully this one is good can those screen shots look really cool.

#49 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

It's an Obsidian game.

I'm expecting a pretty great story surrounding a broken game.

And that's fine I suppose, but you'd think after so many games, they would have gotten the game development part down already.

#50 Posted by John1912 (1979 posts) -

Hmm, pics look good.  I hope they take the game in a new direction.  First two were marginal at best when they came out, and piss poor when looking back on them.  Sadly I still always hope games like this will be good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.