Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 25, 2011

Daggerdale is a co-op focused, downloadable action-RPG based on the Forgotten Realms D&D setting.

Joystiq Daggerdale review

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Chris2KLee

First review I found, doesn't look good: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/25/dungeons-and-dragons-daggerdale-review/ 

Looks like I'll be keeping my $15 and using it for Trenched. I was looking forward to this after the Quicklook to, but is seems that the good first impression it makes quickly falls apart. It's a shame, but maybe I'll pick it up on PC when the bugs get worked out, and it goes on sale.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By JoeyRavn

Just read it. A complete disappointment.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Seems a little harsh, considering the main complaint is that they turned it into a loot grinder when the series typically isn't like that.  It may not be true to the roots, but that doesn't make it a bad game and even the reviewer seems to agree with that, so I'm not sure why it warrants such a low score, even if things get a little lame towards the end.  Personally though, D&D has always been about the character customisation and progression for me.  Throwing you four stock characters (all of which I hate) has completely put me off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I haven't bothered with McElroy reviews since Justin did the Nier "review" about a year ago when he completely embarrassed himself. I haven't been too fond of Griffins reviews either and I unfortunately see no precedent regarding his stance on RPG's in general so I can't tell whether he's an RPG fan or not and what kind of RPG's he likes.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ChickenPants

As cool as it looked in the Quick Look and as much as I wanted to like it, the game gave the impression of being pretty shallow.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By august

I'm pretty skeptical of anything that says Atari on the box.

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GrandHarrier

Been playing it for about two hours. Seems fine so far.

D78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By D78

Wow, that was a super harsh review - you have to wonder if someone has an axe to grind. 

Surely any bugs can be dealt with in future updates? 

Looking forward to playing this when I get home.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eedc15bc689f
    deactivated-5eedc15bc689f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I played this at PAX East and was a bit unimpressed.  

I was really hoping for a current gen Dark Alliance, and it seems like it has those trappings, but something about the game play just felt sloppy and honestly just not fun. Granted, that was like a twenty minute jaunt through what I presume was an early dungeon, but first impressions can make a hell of a dent. At $15 I might consider it eventually as I really want a Dark Alliance fix. I guess the demo will have to push the right buttons when it is released for me to consider a day one purchase.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By CenturionCajun

I just got done playing it for two hours and its a fun hack and slash loot dungeon crawler. It's true that the Dungeons and Dragons setting is just window dressing but I'm enjoying it.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By jozzy
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    Seems a little harsh, considering the main complaint is that they turned it into a loot grinder when the series typically isn't like that.  It may not be true to the roots, but that doesn't make it a bad game and even the reviewer seems to agree with that, so I'm not sure why it warrants such a low score, even if things get a little lame towards the end.  Personally though, D&D has always been about the character customisation and progression for me.  Throwing you four stock characters (all of which I hate) has completely put me off.
    I'd say the main complaints in the review are tons of bugs, onoptimized difficulty curve midway through, that it's very short game and that the last boss is apparently a joke. If true the score doesn't seem harsh at all.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @CenturionCajun said:

I just got done playing it for two hours and its a fun hack and slash loot dungeon crawler. It's true that the Dungeons and Dragons setting is just window dressing but I'm enjoying it.

From the review, the drop off seems to happen after the first act, so you might be in for rough waters in a bit. It's the bugs noted in the review that had me worried, and again I might give this game another look if a patch comes out that addresses the issues. I was actually hoping this would hold me over until Torchlight 2, filling my lootfest co-op needs (and my love of DnD), but it looks like i'll just have to wait.
    JayCee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JayCee

Yeah, Gametrailers posted a pretty harsh review on it a couple hours ago as well. 
    Oh well, guess I'll look for my Dark Alliance fix somewhere else...

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DougQuaid

Ugh.. this is pretty disappointing. I was looking forward to playing this with some friends over Live. Now, not so much..

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By nohthink

Well... Quicklook didn't look that promising either so... I'm okay with the terrible review lol

SCHULTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SCHULTZ

Played 5 hours last night, solo and online coop.  
    Only had 1 instance of the game locking up, hosting a 4-player coop game with a ton of stuff going on.
    Had an enjoyable 2-player coop run for 2 hours after that, no issues at all.

Yea I don't understand why some of these sites are scoring it so low.
    Cheap XBL Arcade game, online works, nothing fancy + a few bugs...but everything seems in place.   
    Loot drops, quests, controls are good, graphics are acceptable.  And the mp works out of the box, unlike some $60 retail games (BRINK).

mightyeris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mightyeris
    @SCHULTZ said:
    Played 5 hours last night, solo and online coop.   Only had 1 instance of the game locking up, hosting a 4-player coop game with a ton of stuff going on.Had an enjoyable 2-player coop run for 2 hours after that, no issues at all.Yea I don't understand why some of these sites are scoring it so low.Cheap XBL Arcade game, online works, nothing fancy + a few bugs...but everything seems in place.    Loot drops, quests, controls are good, graphics are acceptable.  And the mp works out of the box, unlike some $60 retail games (BRINK).
    It doesn't matter how cheap a game is, a bad game is a bad game.  And I couldn't even get five minutes into the demo because it bugged out badly enough that I had to restart the game - twice.  So in my experience, it's not just a few bugs.
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

As someone who happens to be a fan of D&D, enough so to run campaigns now and then, the quick look was enough to completely put me off of the game. It didn't look very D&D-like at all, and for that I'd probably look to D&D Online. I'd take NWN 2, as well. Even then, though... meh. Give me a pencil and paper and I'd be happier.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @august said:
    Smart man.
    Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Goboard

During the 30 minutes that I spent playing the demo I ran into two bugs that forced me to restart. The first rendered me unable to move, the second bug allowed me to move during a cutscene where a dwarf was talking to me, but the cutscene never ended. I was excited for this game and enjoying myself until that happened. Hopefully a patch will be released soon and add-ons announced, otherwise I wont consider buying this down the road.

LoggerRythm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LoggerRythm

Can someone in the games industry PLEASE bring back the Badlur's Gate: Dark Alliance Series?  
    That game was the shit as far as loot crawlers go and dare I say as good as Diablo 2 on PC. 
    Not only that but it looked even better than most current gen games and that's just sad.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lebkin
    @august said:
    Like a blind squirrel, they do occasionally find the nut.  
    PC box art (cropped)
    PC box art (cropped)
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Quacktastic
    @LoggerRythm: Snowblind is making War in the North.  If you like these types of games, keep an eye on that -- not Daggerdale.
    bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bemusedchunk

Me and a buddy spent 15 mins or so slogging through the demo (which took me over 2 days to download for some reason). 
    It's a basic dungeon crawler with little splashes of dnd here and there. Also, it's 4th ed. 
    The models look terrible up close and the voice acting is pretty bad.

Amerist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Amerist
    @LoggerRythm said:
    Can someone in the games industry PLEASE bring back the Badlur's Gate: Dark Alliance Series?  That game was the shit as far as loot crawlers go and dare I say as good as Diablo 2 on PC. Not only that but it looked even better than most current gen games and that's just sad.
    After reading many of the issues people are having with Daggerdale and the criticisms in review, this is exactly what I came here to say. 

A revival of some of the classic designs that just-worked would be nice in the face of changing technology. I'm a little shocked that Daggerdale shipped with so many apparent bugs, however, it didn't seem to rise with the amount of hype of something that would get pushed out the door too rapidly. But, then again, gaming industry mojo and all that. ξ
    SCHULTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SCHULTZ
    @MightyEris:  And yet I've managed to finish the game with a level 10 Dwarven Cleric. 
    A game with bugs isn't necessarily a bad game.   With a patch, this will be an OK game.
    I'm of the same opinion as the GiantBomb Quick Look - they were digging it, and so did I.
    Hiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hiver

"Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale is just a game about hitting monsters until treasure falls out of them."

Sometimes, that is enough. For $15, I don't really expect much more than that. That's what I paid for Torchlight, and it sounds like the same mechanic with co-op bolted on. What's wrong with that?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.