Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 25, 2011

Daggerdale is a co-op focused, downloadable action-RPG based on the Forgotten Realms D&D setting.

My thoughts after five minutes.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By EightBitShik

I know it's not fair to judge a game based on the first five minutes, that is what demos are for. However, I bought the game because well I love to read fantasy novels and enjoyed the Dark Alliance games so I bought this not caring whether it would be bad or not. I am just a little annoyed that it's been five minutes in the game twice now and it froze my Xbox. The first time it was on the first quest giver it just sat on him the whole time while I ran in the background trying to talk to the guy then it just froze. I rebooted and was able to progress a little further, I was annoyed by the little grunt noises the NPC make when you talk to them but was ready to kill some more Goblins. I turn the corner after accepting my quest only to have the Xbox freeze again.  

Not off to a great start -_-

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By grilledcheez

That does not sound promising (or fun), hopefully it's the game and not a sign of things to come for the box!

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EightBitShik
    @GrilledCheez01: It's not the box, well I mean I can't be a hundred percent sure but I just bought the Kinect Elite two weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it's the game because now I am back to say I swung my sword at a barrel and the game didn't freeze but my character got stuck . He couldn't move from the spot. Thank the gods though, I was able to use my special abilities about twenty times to break myself free. However, I was unable to move once I was in the middle of the room. I used the block button and it somehow allowed me to walk normal again.  

I wanted to play this game with my roommate in Co op but I told him of the freezing and he decided to sit down to check it out. Not even in a minute into his screening of the game did the not being able to walk occur. I hope this game gets better, all I want is another Dark alliance or hell I even enjoyed D&D heroes on the OG Xbox.
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By l4wd0g

I played the trial version today, experienced really bad screen tearing issues. Hopefully it get better for you. Let me know if you think it's worth a buy after you've played some more with it.

StrawHatLaw13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By StrawHatLaw13

That's a bummer.  Hopefully it can get patched.  I will try it sometime in  the future.  I was looking forward to it for the co op experience.

D78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By D78

Totally loving this game! Probably because I found WoW too complicated and I'm easily amused by anything involving a dungeon crawl. 

I've experienced two bugs in the time I've been playing. First was getting stuck in a wall (while being attacked by Goblins), almost restarted but it seems to right itself. Second was a couple of invisible enemies that I couldn't melee but could stand on top of :S - dispatched them with ranged attacks. 

Haven't tried the co-op yet, but looking forward to giving it a spin after I have a couple more quests under my belt.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

That sounds really bad, but keep in mind it could be caused by a faulty disc.

Zaxex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Zaxex

It's an arcade game, no disc.

Slug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Slug

Totally agree about the mumbling Dwarves! 

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By pweidman

The grunting Dwarves are weird.  On the QL, I was like wtf? lol   
    Anyway, the game is riddled w/bugs apparently.  I already bought it and haven't started yet, but everyone's complaining about glitches and problems.  Darn.  I can wait but it sucks when we have to wait for a patch right away.  This trend is getting sooo old.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee
    Such a damn shame with the mess this game appears to be in. According to the reviews even if you take out the bugs you're still left with a disappointingly unsatisfying playing experience anyway. Never have played a classic dungeon crawler like this in coop, so I was especially anticipating this SOB =(... Maybe if there's a patch I'll consider it, since I may still be able to still get some jollies out of (finally) whoring loot with a mate or three - possible subliminal messages be damned. 
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Marz

Look at the bright side, at least you got an awesome name generator now :)

TeamJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By TeamJersey

That's a damn shame really.  I was hoping this game would be better so I could get some co op RPG action on the 360, but alas it is not to be. 

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By LegalBagel

Sad - I was somewhat interested in this but sounds like I'm better off just just going back to Torchlight again or something.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By buft

I noticed really crazy slowdown when npcs try to give you quests, game freezes then stutters for a while then after 20 seconds its back to normal, that cant be right.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By musclerider

I decided to wait for reviews before buying and couldn't download the trial because of the marketplace issues.  
    I was excited for this game but I guess I'm kinda glad I didn't throw 15 bucks down a well.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Stahlbrand
    @EightBitShik said:

I was annoyed by the little grunt noises the NPC make when you talk to them...

Just a side note, but before Skyrim was announced there was quite a population of posters on the Bethesda forums who wanted the next Elder Scrolls game to use the same 'npc grunts, text appears' gimmick.  That bothered me to no end, hence this post, months later on a different board.

Shame about the game though, the QL had piqued my interest.  Sounds like serious software problems, maybe a patch will set it to rights, either way I'll be holding off until I hear better news.
    pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pekoe212

I wanted to play this but I only have a PS3, soooo...I guess I was saved an impulse buy. I will keep checking back to see if a patch or something fixes the issues. I want that awesome name generator.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By fox01313

Love the game & played it for a couple hours. Had it lock up once early on but if you save often enough you will just have to start some quests at the early points but seems to save your character progress/gear. Hope that a patch does fix things as there's a few glitchy things I've seen which are or aren't a breaking point with the game. Killed enough of what's out there & occasionally there's one enemy once dead where they will keep standing though unable to be hit, this doesn't break the game for me. The bug that's annoying me is post-tower (not going to spoil it) but for the rogue I've got, the melee weapons are taking up two slots on the assigned button area, this means that one of the special abilities that I have bought up is unaccessable to assign to some button. This also is an area where you have your gear somewhere else so the game is just assigning things all willy nilly as you pick up items until you get your stuff. I'll give it a rest to see if after the game rests for a while to see if this clears up. 

Thoughts on the classes after dipping into each one: 

• Fighter- going broke with him early on to buy better armor & potions. sad that his special RB ability is a block move which I forget about all the time
    • Priest- Interesting especially with the heal though not too many options on gear to use initially
    • Mage- Fun though having to make a lot of use on the teleport plus having to remember to charge the spells (holding the button) as some of the early spells are pretty good once charged & you will run into enough mobs early on that you need something to hit many enemies. Aside from potions you will probably get rich with this one as so much of what you pickup is gear you can't use
    • Rogue- My favorite, sinking lots into the ranged bonuses of adding sneak damage to it (so the blinding/fear arrow shots leave them open to this) as well as good work with sword (tip-pick the melee focus dexterity with her so your high dex skill will add to melee bonus instead of strength). Another game where the mage & rogue tend to get rich fast because most of the gear you find is sold at vendor (you do get more versus selling from inventory). GLHB
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BraveToaster

I'm enjoying it so far. I'm using a wizard, which is rare for me, and it's a damn good class.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By mesklinite

I tried the demo, it was fun, when it gets cheaper, I'll def pick it up!

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DougQuaid

Any word on when they're going to be patching this? After playing fine for a few hours today, the game basically decided to shit the bed once I hit the next zone.  

How in the world did this game get past cert with so many bugs?

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By fishmicmuffin
    @Abyssfull said:
    Such a damn shame with the mess this game appears to be in. According to the reviews even if you take out the bugs you're still left with a disappointingly unsatisfying playing experience anyway. Never have played a classic dungeon crawler like this in coop, so I was especially anticipating this SOB =(... Maybe if there's a patch I'll consider it, since I may still be able to still get some jollies out of (finally) whoring loot with a mate or three - possible subliminal messages be damned. 
    If this game doesn't pan out.. I would suggest holding out for Torchlight 2. If it is anything like the first game then it should be a lot of fun in co-op. If you can't wait, try out Diablo 2 or pick up Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for Xbox/PS2/Gamecube. That was the first dungeon crawler I really played, it was a lot of fun with a bunch of friends sitting on the same couch.
    Spice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spice

I haven't run across any bugs so far, maybe I've just had a lucky run. Just finished the first chapter, playing a lvl 3 cleric. Its been a fun little crawl with some fairly hard fights in there when you get swarmed!
    Maybe not quite worth 1200 points but on sale I'd say definitely pick it up.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EightBitShik

I don't know maybe I'll give it another go in the next couple of days. 

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By louiedog

Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime
    Yar's Revenge
    Star Raiders
    Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale

Those four games have come out in the past two months and all have felt half-realized, rushed, and have been pretty poor overall. They were all published by Atari. The lesson is don't get your hopes up for any $10-$15 titles that Atari publishes on XBLA/PSN. They don't seem to care about quality games.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EightBitShik
    @l4wd0g: What do you mean by screen tearing? Is that when the screen kind of shakes in the middle? hrrm that didn't come out how I want it...how do I explain it... remember VHS when you would fast foward and it would have the line in the middle? is that what you mean... if not can someone explain to me what that is? It's been happening a lot in my games and I have no idea. Jesus, I reread this and I have no idea what the fuck I'm trying to say lol, hopefully someone does.
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Vonocourt

Kind of bummed at the iffy reception this game is getting. I got the trial downloaded, but the other Brad gave it a pretty scathing review at Destructoid.

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

in the trial I had horrible screen tear, "dialogue" from quest givers, didn't show up, scripted events would trigger when I'm far away from the actual trigger area, and the character design just looks awful. This game is a sad, pathetic Dark Alliance wannabe.  

It's a shame, I would have liked to play a good new Faerun game. Not gonna happen anytime soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EightBitShik said:
    @l4wd0g: What do you mean by screen tearing? Is that when the screen kind of shakes in the middle? hrrm that didn't come out how I want it...how do I explain it... remember VHS when you would fast foward and it would have the line in the middle? is that what you mean... if not can someone explain to me what that is? It's been happening a lot in my games and I have no idea. Jesus, I reread this and I have no idea what the fuck I'm trying to say lol, hopefully someone does.
    Yeah, you got it.
    jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By jaycrockett

Yes screen tears bad, I've had one total lock up.  I also get a fun bug where the mob dies and stands frozen in his death animation, forever.  Anyway it's still a fun game, I recommend if you like D&D and action rpgs.  Local co-op is a plus as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just tried a bunch of games online and there's so much warping and bizarre jumps to loading screens, it's almost unplayable. Such a shame I really wanted this to be good but I feel like I'm trying too hard to like it and that's not a good sign at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.