Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 25, 2011

Daggerdale is a co-op focused, downloadable action-RPG based on the Forgotten Realms D&D setting.

What is the deal with this game?

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Aurelito

Why is it titled "Dungeons and Dragons", and sets in Forgotten Realms verse, but doesn't follow 4e ruleset? Is this supposed to be a joke?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By mandude

Isn't 4e largely based on the movement of miniatures? I could hardly seeing that translate well to videogames. What does it use?

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Aurelito

@mandude said:

Isn't 4e largely based on the movement of miniatures? I could hardly seeing that translate well to videogames. What does it use?

Actually miniatures are optional and movement checks make it easier for a videogame imposition.

I don't know what this game uses, I have to download and see it first.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aurelito

This game is a fucking joke. It's a real-time hack and slash with RPG elements, and it's a D&D game! It doesn't even have race and class, like Diablo you can choose between four preset characters. And guess what, there are no voice actors.

I've seen independent games that performed better than this (like Incognito Episodes, it's a cheapass indie hack and slash RPG but it's miles better than this licensed shit).

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Alkaiser

Yup. It was pretty terrible. Funny quick look, though. Daggers and Daggers and shit.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@mandude said:

There used to be a ton of games that used DnD rulesets, like Neverwinter Nights. They were awesome.

This game is not awesome.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aurelito

@GunslingerPanda said:

@mandude said:

There used to be a ton of games that used DnD rulesets, like Neverwinter Nights. They were awesome.

I wouldn't call them "tons". Just a few games use D&D ruleset. Including Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, and as you mentioned, Neverwinter Nights.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By beforet

@Aurelito said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@mandude said:

I wouldn't call them "tons". Just a few games use D&D ruleset. Including Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, and as you mentioned, Neverwinter Nights.

Basically Infinity Engine games, most of which were based on ADnD or 2ED. I think NWN may have been 3/3.5. At one point I think developers realized the paper-pencil rulesets didn't translate to video games terribly well, despite Wizards making 4E more video game friendly. As for this game, just think of them licensing the DnD and Forgotten Realms fiction, not the ruleset.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mandude
    @GunslingerPanda said:

@mandude said:

Aye, Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights are probably amongst my favourite series, but those were using 2e and 3e. As far as I know 4e is much less stat oriented.

@Beforet said:

Basically Infinity Engine games, most of which were based on ADnD or 2ED. I think NWN may have been 3/3.5. At one point I think developers realized the paper-pencil rulesets didn't translate to video games terribly well, despite Wizards making 4E more video game friendly. As for this game, just think of them licensing the DnD and Forgotten Realms fiction, not the ruleset.

I think Neverwinter Nights 2 proved that the ruleset can work really well in video games. Regardless of what you think of the game itself, it's a pretty fantastic adaptation of 3.5e.
    Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aurelito

@Beforet said:

@Aurelito said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@mandude said:

But DnD videogames are amongst the best-received role-playing games, what you're saying is simply not true. Planescape: Torment is what a proper RPG should be and it uses DnD ruleset. In fact, the perfect RPG uses DnD ruleset.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Chemin
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By beforet

@Aurelito: Planescape: Torment also has clunky combat that gets in the way of the excellent writing.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aurelito

@Beforet said:

@Aurelito: Planescape: Torment also has clunky combat that gets in the way of the excellent writing.

Okay, what would you describe as perfect RPG battle system?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By beforet

@Aurelito said:

@Beforet said:

Okay, what would you describe as perfect RPG battle system?

I prefer JRPGs, personally, but my favorite DnD-lite system was Dragon Age: Origins. I felt it did enough to change the paper-pencil system to suit a video game while keeping the tactical feel that I remember liking about NWN.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

@Aurelito said:

Is the 4e ruleset supposed to be a joke?

I fixed your comment.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Aurelito said:

@Beforet said:

@Aurelito said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@mandude said:

But DnD videogames are amongst the best-received role-playing games, what you're saying is simply not true. Planescape: Torment is what a proper RPG should be and it uses DnD ruleset. In fact, the perfect RPG uses DnD ruleset.

I like you.

Even if you're trolling, I like you.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Spoonman671

I think it's because it's supposed to be a joke.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By thatfrood

I read the title in Seinfeld's voice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.