Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dungeons & Dragons Online

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Feb 28, 2006

Play as Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, and more in this 2006 MMO based on the beloved pen-and-paper RPG, and developed by Turbine, Inc.

Crash problems

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By raddevon

I want to say first that, since getting my two-days-early access from PAX, I have really been enjoying this free-to-play MMO. However, last night I was unable to play on my Macbook Pro. Tuesday was no problem. I know the game officially launched as free to play yesterday, and it would make sense that would cause a problem. I don't think my case is that easy. I seem to be getting connection, but I crash out as soon as the first video starts playing. I login with the game's launcher. It then starts the actual game. The video begins for a few frames. Then, large portions of it turn green, and I am dumped back to the desktop. What gives? I tried updating video drivers but that didn't help. This worked perfectly Tuesday, and I haven't installed anything or even used my Windows partition since then. I don't understand what this could be.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Lunarbunny

If the video turns green, then maybe the codec they're using doesn't quite work with your installed codecs. 

You could try the pack at http://cccp-project.net/.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

They have a video at the beginning? I've never seen it.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By raddevon
    @Lunarbunny: Thank you for the suggestion. I may well try this although I have since found a workaround.

First, I will explain why the problem occurred the way it did. DDO has a downloader that starts downloading the essential parts of the game to allow you to play while non-essential elements are downloaded. That's the way I was playing it on Tuesday night. The opening cinemas had not been downloaded. Therefore, my machine ran the game without issue. Once the downloader had the cinema's, the game tried to play them on startup and subsequently crashed.

On the DDO forums, there are other people having a similar problem. Their suggestion is to tap enter repeatedly when the game starts to skip the cutscenes. I decided that, since the game was able to run without the files to begin with, I could probably remove them and continue to run the game. I added a ".bak" extension to the video files in case I needed to restore them. The game now starts without issue since it is unable to find the videos. I have not yet deleted the files, but I'm relatively sure it will still work. You should also save some space in doing so.

Go to your installation directory for the game. Open the "raw" folder. One of the offending files is here: turbine_logo.bik. The others are within the nested "en" folder and are called ddo_intro_movie.bik and ddo_intro_cinematic.bik. If you want to be safe, add the ".bak" extension to them and test to see if the game still works. After that, you should be able to simply delete the files.

There are still a couple of unknowns. I believe the downloader may detect that the files are missing and try to re-download them. I may have to stop it from running in the background and update the game only when necessary. I also imagine the files will be restored upon updating. If the files are restored on my next attempt to play, I will try Lunarbunny's suggestion of downloading some codecs to see if that would provide a more permanent fix. I hope this helps anyone else who may be having issues.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.