gonzosnot's Dungeons of Dredmor (Mac) review

A game that thinks it's funny...and is, for once.

Dungeons of Dredmor is a game which I bought yesterday for one reason: It's cheap (3.99 euros on Steam), and I needed something to play. Little did I know, I'd stumbled on what I consider to be one of the best indie games of this year. Dungeons of Dredmor is a dungeon crawler, it describes itself as a roguelike with graphics, but even with all the difficulty that entails, it is also a joker. Were it a person, it would be the one who played practical jokes on the teacher at school. This game really does have a cracking sense of humour, which can be seen in the tutorial, which instructs you to don a traffic cone as a helmet.

Whenever you start a new game, it randomly-generates a new dungeon for you to explore, and places enemies and items, including the common “Diggle”, which looks like a bird crossed with a mole, which uses it's beak to dig through walls. There is a story to this game, but it isn't one which you should bother with, since it exists only as a frame on which to hang the game. This is of course do be expected, it's a dungeon crawler, not the next big budget RPG, what were you expecting, Chaucer? The body of the game is the dungeon crawling. It is an addictive game, which, while not up to the same standard as Torchlight, is still very good.

The graphics are simple and well drawn, and the spell animations are very cool, and your character and the enemies are very well designed. The gameplay is simple, walk around dungeon, kill enemies, pick up and equip items, but it is very addictive and eats up the hours. This game has very high replayability. I can't honestly say how long it takes to get to the end of the game since I haven't managed it, but there are many different skills which you can either pick or have the game randomly select for you, allowing for many different skillsets. The skills, and the tiles representing their effects are also very nicely drawn.

There are flaws to this game, as there are to almost every game, and the biggest flaw for this game is it's interface, which is hard to use, and needlessly complex, when compared to something like Torchlight's. The game is also difficult to learn, but the tutorial is comprehensive and logical to follow.

All in all, this is a game with a very good sense of humour and very replayable to boot, if you can get around the interface problems, then you will really enjoy it, on the one condition that you like games which are difficult, like Spelunky or have enjoyed roguelikes. It's not going to set the world on fire by any means, but it is fun and at that stonkingly cheap price, it is well worth a go.