Control issues? Keyboard/mouse?

#1 Edited by strangecargo (69 posts) -

I'm definitely not new to playing shooters with a controller, but I find the analog stick controls a little floaty/weird. Maybe the acceleration curve is just too steep for me (ie: the reticle either moves too slow or too fast), or it could just be an issue of control latency. I'm not really sure. Has anybody else had similar issues?

Also, I noticed that Dust 514 supports KB/M controls. How do they compare? I don't really have any good way to play with KB/M in front of my TV, but if it's worthwhile, I could hook up my PS3 to my PC monitor to at least try it out.

#2 Posted by TheDigitalistic (73 posts) -

If you're in menus, the KB/M controls are horrific, and take a lot of getting used to.

If you're in gameplay, they're excellent and very natural. My only issue is that they can't be rebound, and the grenade button is X. I have a hard time pressing x while frantically running for cover.

I highly recommend KB/M though, because it's super responsive and I feel like I just have a lot more control over my movement and aiming. It's certainly easier (for me at least) to shoot dudes.

#3 Posted by strangecargo (69 posts) -

I gave the KB/M combo a try last night, but it felt pretty sluggish, regardless of the DPI settings on my mouse or the sensitivity slider in the settings menu. I couldn't get the controls to come anywhere close to how shooters feel on my PC :(

On the plus side, it seems the recent update did something positive to the gamepad controls. Playing with the controller last night felt way more responsive/tight than it did a few days ago. Anybody know what changes were made? I couldn't find any mention of it on the official site...

#4 Posted by TheDigitalistic (73 posts) -
#5 Posted by strangecargo (69 posts) -

Now if they'd only fix the weird throwing trajectory/bounce physics...

#6 Posted by Sterling (2709 posts) -

So KBM is no better than the DS3? I have such a hard time aiming in this game. But only this game. Other FPS on PS3 feel more fluid. I can not aim to save my life in this. Which is why I switched to heavy machine guns, less aiming.

#7 Posted by TheDigitalistic (73 posts) -

Personally, I think KB/M is way better and more responsive.

#8 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1609 posts) -

I was thinking about checking Dust 514 out, but I don't want to go through the hassle of plugging a keyboard and mouse into my PS3. I'd also have to give up my PS3 wireless headset (or get a USB hub?), since the PS3 Slim only has two USB ports.

I'm not really sure what the rationale for including KBM controls was in the first place -- they're giving a leg up to the small number of players who have the means and dedication to play a console game with PC controls, and alienating those who don't.

#9 Posted by Sterling (2709 posts) -

The real question I think, is anyone actually playing this game with a Move controller? Why would you add Move support to this game?

#10 Posted by SomeJerk (3400 posts) -

@rabidcentipede said:

The real question I think, is anyone actually playing this game with a Move controller? Why would you add Move support to this game?

Every time Move support is added to a game, the inventor's family receives a sack of rice.

Source: What happened to the man behind the failure of the 3DO M2

#11 Edited by Mr_Creeper (1224 posts) -

The only thing I know is that fucking MINUTE LONG "don't be an idiot when using your PS Move" slideshow I can't skip at the start kills me a little inside every time.

#12 Posted by TheDigitalistic (73 posts) -

^

#13 Posted by strangecargo (69 posts) -

@thedigitalistic: What mouse are you using? I think mine (the sadly discontinued G9x) has some sort of compatibility issues. I don't have another mouse to try, but even with the sensitivity turned up and the DPI turned all the way up on the mouse, it tracks way slow.

#14 Posted by TheDigitalistic (73 posts) -

I'm just using a cheap logitech wireless thing I got for like $10 at walmart.

It's maybe not a good mouse, but it works great for me.

#15 Posted by strangecargo (69 posts) -

I suspect this is more of a thing where developers are getting familiar with motion controls, since XBONE and PS4 seem to be including and/or requiring motion controls.

#16 Posted by Sterling (2709 posts) -

I just realized that I have sitting in my closet, one of those SOCOM Move guns that came with SOCOM 4. I might have to take that bad boy out and try it with dust. I'll maybe do that this week and let you all know how craptastic it is. Or who knows, maybe it will be amazing.

I used that thing for most of SOCOM and Killzone 3 before deciding I hated it.

#17 Posted by BurningStickMan (238 posts) -

The only thing I know is that fucking MINUTE LONG "don't be an idiot when using your PS Move" slideshow I can't skip at the start kills me a little inside every time.

It'd be more tolerable if it was animated. Poorly animated, at that. Just a few repeating frames of him smacking his buddy and knocking over his lamp.

#18 Posted by Mr_Creeper (1224 posts) -

It'd be more tolerable if it was animated. Poorly animated, at that. Just a few repeating frames of him smacking his buddy and knocking over his lamp.

I'm off to the DUST forums to suggest just that.

#19 Posted by TheDigitalistic (73 posts) -

@burningstickman said:

I'm off to the DUST forums to suggest just that.

Can you also tell them to put a damn directional compass in the game? I'm tired of spinning in circles trying to find my bearing every time I spawn.

#20 Posted by e30bmw (356 posts) -

I haven't really had any issue with the controller in this game. But would you guys suggest trying mouse and keyboard anyways? I already have the keyboard plugged in so that I can type quickly in the chat window.

#21 Posted by Mr_Creeper (1224 posts) -

@e30bmw: I think it really depends on your personal playstyle. I much rather use a controller because I'm more comfortable with it. I would suggest trying it out and seeing which one you like better.

#22 Edited by strangecargo (69 posts) -

Sorry to necro this thread, but I asked the original question and I finally figured out the answers:

I've been playing this game pretty regularly and figured out how to have fun and do well (the secret isn't expensive gear, but playing smart and being on a squad that communicates), but I still have serious issues trying to aim with any precision using the DS3 controls. For a while, I got around the suckiness of aiming by avoiding precision weapons (I got pretty good with the mass driver).

I had serious issues with sluggishness when I first tried to use a mouse, but based on watching a few videos where people were obviously using KB/M, I decided to reinvestigate. Since others stated that they had been using pretty standard, generic mice successfully, I thought that dropping the polling rate on my mouse would probably help the most. I went into the desktop software for my G9x and made a stored profile specifically for Dust 514. The most important thing I did was drop the polling rate of my mouse from 1000Hz down to 125Hz. Initially, I thought 250Hz was a better setting, but it seems to undershoot fast mouse movements when you set polling above 125Hz. I also remapped the thumb buttons to the keyboard inputs for reload/melee and the middle button to grenades. In the end, these are the settings I ended up using for pretty PC-like controls of the game:

• 125Hz polling rate (super important)
  • 800 dpi resolution
  • 90% mouse sensitivity in the in-game configuration

The only problem I have with KB/M now is that the in-game radial menus for equipment selection and vehicle module activation are nearly impossible to use with the KB/M controls, which makes my Logi almost impossible to play. On the upside, I'm super accurate with my aim now, so I dusted off my shotgun assault loadout and have been having a ton of fun. I also started a shotgun scout alt to practice my tactics, situational awareness, and aim skills.

#23 Posted by Mr_Creeper (1224 posts) -

That's a lot of great info, @strangecargo! Thanks for sharing; hopefully it'll help out others who are looking to play with a keyboard and mouse.

#24 Edited by strangecargo (69 posts) -

@mr_creeper: no problem. This isn't the easiest game to get into, but there's definitely something pretty compelling at the core.

After playing for a while with the mouse, I've gone back to the 125Hz polling rate. Editing my previous post accordingly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.