Game will be free to play

#1 Posted by mosdl (3229 posts) -

Source.

The cover charge has been scrapped, and Sony seems to be willing to play with F2P with the usual micro-transactions.

Smart move I think that will get a lot of players into it, but I wonder how this affects games that will be released that are similar but are not free. Will downloadable game devs shun Sony perhaps as they can't compete with free?

#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

And Monocles will start at $50

#3 Posted by Forcen (1832 posts) -

Smart move.

#4 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4621 posts) -

@mosdl said:

Will downloadable game devs shun Sony perhaps as they can't compete with free?

No. The game is free but they still have to make money. If anything, if this does well, more devs will jump on board. In any case, my 3rd most anticipated game of the year just got even more anticpated...er...ed...ish.

#5 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

Instantly more interested.

#6 Posted by Brodehouse (10066 posts) -

I understand and appreciate the F2P model, I like paying for the good stuff instead of hoping the good stuff will come with a subscription model (or the devs add it to a single-purchase game out of the goodness of their heart)... I still have the Vinny problem of "well this is free, and there are already big-budget games I've paid for that I haven't played.". It's hard in your mind to think of a high polish big production style of game going F2P. You just associate it with glorified browser games and failed MMOs.

#7 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Does this mean I can earn ISK in the F2P Dust 514 that I can use to buy EVE game time.

#8 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1730 posts) -

Clever clever clever. Now I'll try this. Won't buy any hats though. 

#9 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

Does this mean I can earn ISK in the F2P Dust 514 that I can use to buy EVE game time.

Probably. And if it's anything like EVE, you probably won't actually have to play the game to rack up the currency.

#10 Posted by Village_Guy (2630 posts) -

Well, now I'll check it out I guess, not really much interests from my side still though.

#11 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish I bet you can't. To buy game time with ISK you buy a PLEX, and you probably can't buy a PLEX in Dust.
#12 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1062 posts) -

@Shakezula84 said:

@LordXavierBritish I bet you can't. To buy game time with ISK you buy a PLEX, and you probably can't buy a PLEX in Dust.

Maybe not directly, but there are already people with plans to help out EVE corporations by playing DUST, and in return rather then get paid in DUST they will get paid ISK in EVE. And i think you get paid ISK in DUST, so maybe there will be a way to just transfer that to an EVE account to buy PLEX.

#13 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

Still bummed it won't be on PC. There can only be so much tactics and coordination with a controller in an FPS, in my opinion, and I feel like the tie in to EVE should be on the PC as well.

#14 Posted by drGiggless (222 posts) -

I look forward to ninja raping everyone in this game for the low low price of free.

#15 Posted by guadalupeavaldez (3 posts) -

@mosdl: Free games are good, in this economy.

#16 Posted by TheHBK (5505 posts) -

I'm in.

#17 Posted by troll93 (390 posts) -

This has made this game about 100 times more interesting to me. 

#18 Posted by Sander (414 posts) -
#19 Posted by Hector (3365 posts) -

Playing it right now. Really awesome and deep FPS. Same layout of skills and fitting as an EVE ship only on a merc.

#20 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

As an enthusiastic supporter of sandbox, objective-based, teamplay-driven hierarchy-designed multiplayer games, I am pleased that more Playstation players will experience this since it's free.

#21 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

I didn't know it was a MMO. I'm more surprised by that actually

#22 Posted by TheHT (11496 posts) -

@bibamatt said:

Instantly more interested.

#23 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4621 posts) -

I've been in the beta for a while now and let me tell you this game is Youtube clip heaven. The shit some people pull of with vehicles puts a smile on my face.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.