Sony Locks Up Exclusive MMO Shooter Dust 514

• 60 results
Posted by Alex (1828 posts) -

Here's something we weren't expecting: a PS3-exclusive shooter from a PC MMO that features direct connectivity with that same MMO. But that's exactly what we got at Sony's E3 2011 press conference.

Dust 514, a online first-person shooter from EVE Online developers CCP, is itself a massively-multiplayer online game of some fashion. In addition, actions that take place in either game affect the other. How, exactly, that will all work is still a matter of some question, but CCP and Sony seem confident that this universe is something worth investing in, as Dust 514 will also include Move support, have its own dedicated Home space (yay?) and find its way to the NGP/Vita somewhere down the line.

Dust 514 is scheduled for release in the Spring of next year, and a closed beta will launch later this year.

It's a fascinating crossover that, honestly, I'm not completely sure what to make of. What do you folks think?

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1828 posts) -

Here's something we weren't expecting: a PS3-exclusive shooter from a PC MMO that features direct connectivity with that same MMO. But that's exactly what we got at Sony's E3 2011 press conference.

Dust 514, a online first-person shooter from EVE Online developers CCP, is itself a massively-multiplayer online game of some fashion. In addition, actions that take place in either game affect the other. How, exactly, that will all work is still a matter of some question, but CCP and Sony seem confident that this universe is something worth investing in, as Dust 514 will also include Move support, have its own dedicated Home space (yay?) and find its way to the NGP/Vita somewhere down the line.

Dust 514 is scheduled for release in the Spring of next year, and a closed beta will launch later this year.

It's a fascinating crossover that, honestly, I'm not completely sure what to make of. What do you folks think?

Staff
#2 Edited by onan (1277 posts) -

Not bad at all...

edit: finally got this damn quest

#3 Posted by Rahf (126 posts) -

If they manage to pull that off in a way that Planetside couldn't, while still keeping that universe interesting and balanced. It could quite possibly be positively huge. MMORPGs are not necessarily competitors in that case, it's a different genre.

#4 Posted by Genkkaku (730 posts) -

Cross platforming of any kind is welcome

#5 Posted by Donos (1193 posts) -

I really hope there's some good interplay between the two games. I've got the better part of a year dumped into that game, and I'd really like to have the interest to play it again.

#6 Posted by Xymox (2025 posts) -

I'm interested but not sure what to make of it. If nothing else, it opens up a potential for more bolt-on stuff to that MMO. For example: an actual grown based MMORPG? That would get me interested. Not so much interest in the space ship stuff. Their whole "one shard" philosophy resonates with me pretty well. (Yes, WoW would be a better game in my opinion, if it was all run on one server per play style preference, instead of 90+.)

#7 Posted by pitboy2710 (12 posts) -

PS3 exclusive!  

Well thats a shocker 

#8 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

I was hoping for CCP to show World of Darkness. Maybe next year.

#9 Posted by RobertOrri (1088 posts) -

Good for CCP, they get heaps of exposure from this. People would have had to pay for XBL Gold anyway to play this online anyway, which might not be what the typical EVE subscriber is after, even if he owns an Xbox 360.

#10 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

How many MMOs does Sony need?  Eh, guess they still looking for a winner since EQ.

#11 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4038 posts) -

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Now I can (sorta) take my Eve online addiction over to my PS3.

#12 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -

I am excite!

#13 Posted by YoungFrey (1319 posts) -

It is such a tightrope walk for the economies. It's a good thing they already employ an economist.

#14 Posted by Eversor (26 posts) -

What, and no PC version for a game in a franchise that was created on the fucking PC? Classy, real fucking classy.

#15 Posted by Savitry (9 posts) -

I'm shocked it won't be on PC- but hey. I like this idea.  
Definitely gonna buy it. 

#16 Posted by Tennmuerti (7723 posts) -

Yo guys...

I'm a Wizzard and THAT is fucked up!

#17 Posted by mrhankey (695 posts) -

I find it odd that they made it a ps3 exclusive...

#18 Posted by Beforet (2884 posts) -

Dammit, why does EVE always have to seem so cool? I want to play it, yet I do NOT want to play it!

#19 Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (943 posts) -

That sounds... new.

#20 Posted by Nate_is_my_fake_name (133 posts) -

Fucking awesome.  I have been waiting for this one, ever since I stopped playing Eve due to sanity and time reasons.

#21 Posted by datarez (501 posts) -

Man and there goes another mmo that slips off of the 360. I dug Planetside back in the day and I've played EVE off and on and was looking forward to maybe giving this one a try. Oh well.

#22 Posted by MeatSim (10603 posts) -

Well this a weird direction for CCP to go.

#23 Posted by Packfan104L4 (209 posts) -

For all the haters that it's PS3 exclusive, from a long time EVE player, Dust NEEDS the PC/PS3 connectivity of data.  I'm guessing Microsoft's "my network my rules" attitude locked out CCP's need for the console to PC data line.

#24 Posted by WillyLo (298 posts) -

My buddy recently got me playing EVE, this announcement just makes me want to play more EVE...

#25 Posted by FMinus (368 posts) -

Haha, exclusive bullshit is all I can say.  

The consequences of inbreeding really start showing, when decisions like this are made and thought of as being good.  

#26 Posted by Chumm (205 posts) -

You weren't expecting a game that was announced over a year ago? The exclusivity thing is all that's new. It was always going to be the console counterpart to EVE, no reason for it to be on PC.

The Sony tie-in is pretty weird though, the game is going to need a consistent player base to have any meaning to the MMO, limiting the audience only compromises that.

#27 Posted by Forcen (1766 posts) -

Kinda bummed about the lack of a PC version, but they said that they would not do one from the start.

I can kinda understand why though, it has to be balanced and if some players use mouse aim the eveplayers will just hire the PC players instead of PS3 players.

And microsoft wont allow these online crossplatform connectivity shenanigans so PS3 only makes sense.

#28 Posted by Eidderf (504 posts) -
@Packfan104L4 said:
For all the haters that it's PS3 exclusive, from a long time EVE player, Dust NEEDS the PC/PS3 connectivity of data.  I'm guessing Microsoft's "my network my rules" attitude locked out CCP's need for the console to PC data line.
Think people are more shocked about the implication that it doesn't seem like it's on the PC also.
#29 Posted by Forcen (1766 posts) -
#30 Posted by Hef (1084 posts) -

That's two games that are ps3/pc cross platform, I hope this trend continues.

#31 Posted by Jadeskye (4359 posts) -

I could not be more stoked to see this happen. highlight of the show for me.

#32 Edited by ShinAli (96 posts) -

PS3 only? This game will fizzle out within the year of its release.

EDIT: I mean, have it on the PC at least. PC gamers tend to be disgustingly loyal.

#33 Posted by LiquidS (970 posts) -

First heard about this a few years ago, now that I am clean and sober from Eve I am worried I might relapse now that Dust has actually materialized into something that is coming out on the only console I own.

#34 Posted by Biggie (40 posts) -

I am excited for this, it gives me a way to participate in the madness of EVE Online without playing EVE Online.

#35 Posted by Jhriad (114 posts) -

If this is half as fun as Planetside during beta/release month I'll be there day one.  Hell, convince me it'll be as fun as Planetside and I can guarantee myself and a few friends will account for 15 preorders.

#36 Posted by MOAB (358 posts) -

color me intrigued

#37 Posted by Nhoj_Sllew (158 posts) -

not only will the hackers steal your credit card numbers, now they are gonna get your isk!
#38 Posted by notha (239 posts) -

does that mean no pc? or was it just a console exclusive?

#39 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4038 posts) -
@notha said:

does that mean no pc? or was it just a console exclusive?

Console exclusive. They said from the beginning, 2-3 years ago?, it was going to be console exclusive.
#40 Posted by Driadon (2990 posts) -

@Forcen said:

And microsoft wont allow these online crossplatform connectivity shenanigans so PS3 only makes sense.

It's this reason why I never expected a 360 version.

Great to hear that they have a target! It's been a while with no news on this guy.

#41 Edited by tourgen (4242 posts) -

This is amazing, this is incredible. I can't believe Sony locked this up as an exclusive. Oh my god my playstation makes good sense now.

Mercenaries for hire from player-run corp funds to battle for control of worlds, and ultimately star systems in the Eve universe. This is amazing. Damn Eve sucks me back in. Downloading client (again). I was up to battleship skills with pretty good gunnery and was just getting into blueprints and player-run factories. Shit.

#42 Posted by Forcen (1766 posts) -

There is also this older but IMO cooler trailer:

#43 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Glad to see Sony and CCP are whiling to try something like this.. Now this is the kind of project I like to support.

#44 Posted by Daruna (13 posts) -

Just make sure not to fly a Moros near a planet, or else it'll get shot down.

#45 Posted by Cronus42 (270 posts) -

For everyone complaining about exclusivity on ps3, if you stop and think about how this works, it has to be that way. It is supposed to be persitent and all the battles take place on real planets within EVE. PS3 and 360 users cant play against or with each other. So that would just break the whole concept from the start.  

Also it was going to be a console game from the start, so for me surprise level about all this = 0
#46 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2277 posts) -

Looks cool...far more interesting then a lot of games I've seen today.

#47 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

PS3 exclusive? are you fucking kidding CCP? You're seriously going to completely ignore your entire user base like that? 

Alright. Your loss.

#48 Edited by Forcen (1766 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:

PS3 exclusive? are you fucking kidding CCP? You're seriously going to completely ignore your entire user base like that?  Alright. Your loss.

Let me quote myself why they did it:

Kinda bummed about the lack of a PC version, but they said that they would not do one from the start.
I can kinda understand why though, it has to be balanced and if some players use mouse aim the eveplayers will just hire the PC players instead of PS3 players.

A PC/360 version would have created to many problems.
#49 Posted by Cronus42 (270 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
PS3 exclusive? are you fucking kidding CCP? You're seriously going to completely ignore your entire user base like that?  Alright. Your loss.

Thats not ignoring their entire user base. Just because people play EVE doesnt mean they dont have a ps3. Also CCP said from day one this is was a console game, so why get upset now, like 3 years later?
#50 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@Cronus42 said:
@Pinworm45 said:
Thats not ignoring their entire user base. Just because people play EVE doesnt mean they dont have a ps3. Also CCP said from day one this is was a console game, so why get upset now, like 3 years later?
They came around and said there was going to be a PC version after the outcry, and apparently that's now been reneged on. 

Also, people who play EVE may have bad a PS3, but they still got 0$ from the playstation. Their userbase is on the PC, and it should be where they continue. 

@Forcen said:
@Pinworm45 said:

Let me quote myself why they did it:

A PC/360 version would have created to many problems.
What problems would a PC version make? I don't see what balance issues there would be if the game was PC exclusive, which it should be, considering thats what everyone who's played EVE has. The fact that it's PS3 exclusive either makes no sense, they'd get more sales on 360. Probably something to do with patching and the fact that Sony is more free with their system, I guess. Either way, fucking annoying. I don't agree with CCPs decision at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.