Sony Locks Up Exclusive MMO Shooter Dust 514

• 61 results
#51 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2400 posts) -

So Mass Effect meets EVE. I don't know what will happen.

#52 Posted by sandwich_adjustment (685 posts) -

RIP EVE

#53 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

I have no idea what that game is all about but color me intrigued.

#54 Posted by CitizenJP (1057 posts) -

Siiiiick I'm currently playin EVE and it's pretty cool, it's a nice change of pace. Can't wait for Dust 514.

#55 Posted by JohnPaulVann (209 posts) -

But what about people who don't also play EVE? They'll get mocked. Who needs that abuse?

#56 Posted by Ravage (64 posts) -

Let me first say I have a PS3, 360 and a good gaming PC. I play Eve everynow and then for a while at a time and then leave and come back to it. 

I was a huge fan of Dust when it was first announced, the idea is amazing, but making it a PS3 exclusive just killed it for me. I have no interest in playing this on the PS3, PC sure, and if they do release it, I'll pick it up. 

Also such as shame it's not out on 360 too. It was amazing how when it was announced as a PS3 exclusive nobody clapped.
#57 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I was really interested to see how this works, but I don't have a PS3...Still interested though I guess.
#58 Posted by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (592 posts) -

Unexpected, but it's nice to see some love coming towards Sony for a change. Microsoft's been a bit of a content hog as of late, anyways, and Nintendo's... busy being innovative?

#59 Edited by loopy (5 posts) -

Should be rather interesting to say the least, but I'm excited to try it out :D

#60 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (3050 posts) -

I like the look of it, and I appreciate that it appears to be a deeper game then most shooters. It will be interesting to find out how the two sides combine, because from what I understand the commerce in the EVE is very serious and if EVE players are contracting Dust514 players to fight for territory there must be a complex system so that the luck (lack of luck) of the draw doesn't screw up someone’s investment of "EVE Space Bucks".

I would almost think the game might function like MAG with mercenary factions. One way would be for each player joins a faction, but it could just be everyone is freelance, so when he or she plays a session or jump into a game they are choosing a faction just for the time of play. In MAG I think they found playesr choosing one faction from taht start hindered play more then helped. A freelance concept where playesr just joing missiosn taht suit their mood woudl be more flexiable and interesting to boot.

The other question is will the game make things "fair & balanced"? When you think about it, that would be counter to EVE philosophy. It seems like EVE is sometimes about the Machiavellian machinations of the players, so I wonder if Dust might allow the as well. Could an EVE player pay (in game currency, experience points) the other side’s mercenaries to lose?

Who knows EVE is an odd game. It could be that Dust514 follows the example of EVE of freedom,or it could be a more fair straightforward game with checks and balances. Either way it looks great!

#61 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -
@Ravage said:
Let me first say I have a PS3, 360 and a good gaming PC. I play Eve everynow and then for a while at a time and then leave and come back to it.  I was a huge fan of Dust when it was first announced, the idea is amazing, but making it a PS3 exclusive just killed it for me. I have no interest in playing this on the PS3, PC sure, and if they do release it, I'll pick it up.  Also such as shame it's not out on 360 too. It was amazing how when it was announced as a PS3 exclusive nobody clapped.

I didn't see the E3 thing, but on Facebook they showed some videos &
a news article for Dust 514 & the news article said it was coming to the
PC and the PS3.  It didn't say anything about it being exclusive to the PS3.
I guess by "exclusive" they meant that the 360 was being kicked out of
the equation.

At last year's CCP keynote, they stated the game would come to Xbox/PS3
by this summer. And now it's being pushed off to Spring 2012??  I wonder
if this game will ever come out.  EVE is slow in coming out with new content
& materials & since I played the game for a few months, I found the game
too repetitious & if you wanted to play solo to take on missions to kill pirates,
one battle could take 4 hours, with you running back to repair & go back in
for the attack.  It just wasn't fun & the user base was European so most 
corp members would never be on when I was ready to play it.  I was hoping
to look at the stock market that kept coming up & there was nothing of use
to be found with it.  Most of it was useless scam.  It wasn't a real feature!

I think ideally, I'd rather have EVE as an iPhone game. Where I could just 
tell my stupid ship to go run errands for me on autopilot & check on the
output, improve my character's training, automate planetary defenses
& there you go.  That's all you need to play EVE.  Trying to play what is
currently available is just an iterative loop with no interesting changes,
story lines, or anything else for that matter.  But Dev keeps saying "it's 
on the way...and soon!"  But it isn't.

And since no developer seems to be equating how Dust factors back into
the EVE economy or EVE play, my guess is that they have no idea, or the
actual implementation they're using is horrible.  I just hope Dust isn't 
iterative, but I bet it will be.  Maybe it'll be like Global Agenda?  If you ask
me, they should have just bought Global Agenda & converted it to EVE.
Might have made for a better game.

I'm disappointed this game won't make it to my Xbox, however the time
for the next iteration of consoles will be in just a year or two & I'd rather
see what the new generation of consoles will offer, rather than buying
a PS3 for this game now & finding out that PS3/360 are being phased
out for something new.  It's too close to the new releases (maybe a 
year or two away but still that's limited ROI on a new console purchase).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.