Best Use of FMV (Spoilers)

#1 Posted by Doomed (205 posts) -

The whole game uses FMV really well. It's best if you discover it yourself... One part jumps out early on:

Fidget at your campfire. Can we call that FMV? Who cares. I just did. It's awesome.

And there's this part around 3/4 though, I think:

The cutscene explaining "twist" with you, Ginger, and the moonblood guy. Holding the portrait was cool, removing the hat was cool. Was a cool cutscene is what I'm saying.

Because FMV is used so sparingly, when it does get used, it's pretty great.

#2 Edited by xMEGADETHxSLY (446 posts) -

Alan Wake's American Nightmare

Best Use of FMV period ,.

#3 Posted by jehrco (36 posts) -

Personally I thought when the cutscenes happened it became very apparent that it was made by one guy. I love the game but looking at Dust and Fidget move out of engine looked really oddly shaped and stiff.

#4 Edited by golguin (4005 posts) -

@jehrco said:

Personally I thought when the cutscenes happened it became very apparent that it was made by one guy. I love the game but looking at Dust and Fidget move out of engine looked really oddly shaped and stiff.

There is a link a few threads down that talks about how he had to put almost a year's worth of work into a couple of months and the cutscenes were one of the last things that were made. He had the option of putting in nothing, making comic like stills, or putting together some quick animations with a few weeks worth of time. Keep in mind that he's the one that created all the engine animations for Dust, the supporting cast, the monsters, the locations, and essentially every art asset. It was just a time thing.

#5 Posted by jehrco (36 posts) -

I understand and what he did as a person is remarkable. I also think he made the right choice the animations fit in way better than comic stills or in engine stuff would its just the one tiny part that tips me off that this game wasn't made by a studio. It's fine and I like it the way it is and the only way he could have done better is someone dumping animatics money and time on his lap but as they are I don't think they are that impressive without their story.

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11433 posts) -

Though it is technically video that is full of motion, it's not full motion video in the sense that Stay Dead or Intel Discovered are full motion video, which is the true full motion video.

And I say this as someone who absolutely loves Dust.

#7 Posted by Mowgers (388 posts) -

I think stills would've worked better purely in terms of maintaining a level of quality. Had the animation been given the proper time, yes, it would've been more effective, but as it stands it seems uncomfortably amateurish compared to the rest of the game's animation and polish. Bastion managed some incredible storytelling beats using only illustration and in-engine animation, it's a matter of acknowledging your limits and doing the best you can do, not trying for the best you'd like to do.

#8 Posted by jehrco (36 posts) -
@Mowgers

I think stills would've worked better purely in terms of maintaining a level of quality. Had the animation been given the proper time, yes, it would've been more effective, but as it stands it seems uncomfortably amateurish compared to the rest of the game's animation and polish. Bastion managed some incredible storytelling beats using only illustration and in-engine animation, it's a matter of acknowledging your limits and doing the best you can do, not trying for the best you'd like to do.

Yeah this is what I meant however I'm not sure I would have liked stills having not seen what they would be. I would almost just lose the cutscenes for portrait conversation. Some of those parts were much more effective at conveying emotion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.