Does this make anybody else really want a new 2D Metroid game?

• 64 results
#51 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

If it's Metriod, then you're going to be getting the exact same items you get every friggin' game.

Why would you prefer that over a new Metriodvania IP that actually has some mystery to it?

#52 Posted by Svenzon (720 posts) -

I'd love to see one. Also I think a new first person one could be cool on the Wii U.

#53 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@MikkaQ

I just don't trust Nintendo to get it right, especially after something like Shadow Complex innovated in the "genre" if you could call it that.

What did Shadow Complex do that was innovative?

Well it was the first one of those games to successfully pull it into polygonal graphics without making it awkward or taking away from the game, and it also used the background elements in combat as well, so it's not just some useless backdrop, where the game would have been identical if it were sprite based or something.

Also just the stuff on the periphery, deliberately putting in hooks for speedruns, encouraging low-item runs and just generally enabling the kind of behavior that makes these kinds of games fun. Also it's the first game I can remember that did the whole "You're getting close to this achievement" or "Your friends have this many more headshots than you, keep up" popups, that I find fun. Especially in a game like this where it's a strictly singleplayer experience, it's neat to compare on the fly to other people playing.

#54 Posted by Hailinel (24707 posts) -
@MikkaQ Polygonal graphics aren't innovative. It's just the graphic style they used. And encouragement of low item and speed runs isn't new, either, as Metroid has done both.
#55 Edited by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@MikkaQ Polygonal graphics aren't innovative. It's just the graphic style they used. And encouragement of low item and speed runs isn't new, either, as Metroid has done both.

They implemented polygonal graphics and they worked beautifully, that's more than Nintendo could say about almost anything they've made short of Mario Galaxy. And even that only looks good after you emulate it. It's a show of competency that Nintendo has continually failed to demonstrate.

#56 Posted by Hailinel (24707 posts) -
@MikkaQ

@Hailinel said:

They implemented polygonal graphics and they worked beautifully, that's more than Nintendo could say about almost anything they've made short of Mario Galaxy. And even that only looks good after you emulate it. It's a show of competency that Nintendo has continually failed to demonstrate.

Once again, it's an aesthetic graphic choice. Not an innovation. And the actual appreciation of graphic quality will always be objective, to an extent. But even so, it's silly of you to suggest that Super Mario Galaxy only looks good when emulated. That's simply stupefying in its level of ignorance. Games do not need to be HD to look good.
#57 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

They don't seem that similar to me so no. Also with Nintendo ignoring Metroid, i doubt that you'll ever get another one of these games anytime soon.

#58 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

yes I would love it.

but 2d hd no 2.5 stuff.

#59 Posted by Hailinel (24707 posts) -
@Hailinel
@MikkaQ

@Hailinel said:

Once again, it's an aesthetic graphic choice. Not an innovation. And the actual appreciation of graphic quality will always be objective, to an extent. But even so, it's silly of you to suggest that Super Mario Galaxy only looks good when emulated. That's simply stupefying in its level of ignorance. Games do not need to be HD to look good.
And I meant to say subjective, not objective. Stupid autocorrect.
#60 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I LOVED super metroid, and was extremely excited when I picked up copies of Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, but for what ever reason, they weren't as satisfying. I think it was the level design and puzzles that left me wanting for something a little more. That, and I never liked playing games on the Game Boy Advance iterations. I would like to see a new hand drawn Metroid game for something other than a handheld system, however.

#61 Posted by m2cks (585 posts) -

The ironic thing is that these indie Metroidvania games are really filling in that niche that Nintendo themselves are turning a blind eye to. I don't know how excited I'd be for a new 2D Metroid game just because these other games are doing such a good job of satisfying my Metroidvania needs.

#62 Posted by Nottle (1914 posts) -

You know Castlevania, Super Metroid and the Legend of zelda are all on the top of most peoples top 10 lists. So why is it so rare that games that copy those kind of games are made? This week is a great example of this, we got Darksiders 2 and Dust which are from what i hear quite good.

#63 Posted by inknail (155 posts) -

I think there's a huge following who has wanted a new, good 2D Metroid game for quite a while actually. I have a friend who really wants one after being disappointed by Other M, as well as Lords of Shadow (which I don't think was bad, but it wasn't exactly a traditional Castlevania experience either). The last game that hit me over the head with as much metroidvania charm as Dust has would probably be Cave Story, another one-man (more so than Dust even) indie project. I think there's a lot of room in the market for these games, you just gotta hope that they reach the ears of today's gamer crowd that seems to prefer something about 3D gaming over 2D in all cases. The Aria of Sorrow and Zero Mission games were great I thought, and I'd say Nintendo would do some good to look into making another Metroid in Fusion or Zero Mission format with perhaps some prettier animation techniques (hi-res 2D animation, even sprites, are quite something in terms of retaining quality over time and making an artistic impression).

#64 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

Metroid: Other M makes me want any type of good Metroid game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.