Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dust: An Elysian Tail

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 15, 2012

In the fantasy world of Falana, a mysterious swordsman named Dust, armed with a living sword called Ahrah and a quirky companion named Fidget, seeks to free a village from oppression while uncovering the truth behind his past.

Dust: An Elysian Tail is Out on Steam Now!

• 55 results
    PollySMPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By PollySMPS

This post has been deleted.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#2 jeanluc  Staff

I think I'm going to buy it again. Its worth playing a second time and I want to support the developer of such an awesome game.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zeforgotten

I just added it to my wishlist so I don't forget about it when I get paid again.
    Or when I earn enough money from selling cards and items on steam.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Sackmanjones

Furries? On MY steam!?? Gross , Ill never touch this game because of that. I am so offended by it!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

wow i knew it was coming but seems like there was zero fanfare. i see it's one of the main games advertised on steam. still i was actively keeping an eye out for it and it surprised me to see it's already out.

bought the hell out of it regardless :D hoping it does really well for him on steam despite the lack of exposure.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Furries? On MY steam!?? Gross , Ill never touch this game because of that. I am so offended by it!

Sad part is that there ARE morons who actually think this.

Any differences from the console version?

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone who hasn't played this should try it out, it's easily my favourite XBLA game ever.

I understand that the art style isn't for everyone and Fidget can be annoying but the story and combat are both amazing.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By FLStyle

I'm going to give this a go, I remember being disappointed when it was released on only the 360.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GabrielCantor

Got all the achievements in this on the 360 (probably the last time I actually used the thing), and am totally down for doing it again. I liked this game way more than I expected to and am very willing to give the guy that made it more money.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I hope this gives Dean Dodrill a lot more money because that guy deserves it. Met him just walking by on the PAX show floor and he's a really cool dude.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

@pollysmps: That's good to hear. Have you tried the PC controls a bit? Do they seem adequate to deal with the challenge? I'm unlikely to play it with a controller.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the game looks so much crisper on the pc, except for the zoomed in conversations which i think are upscaled 720p/may be just movies. looks as good as the xbox in that regard, however. game was also kind of freezing up every so often during conversations. didn't have much time to see how severe it was, and if a restart of my system fixed the issue. definitely happy it's on steam. :)

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

One of my favorites from last year, glad that other people can now play this.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

One of my favorites from last year, glad that other people can now play this.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hooray, can finally pick this up (still need to pick up fez too >_>;;;;)

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

@pollysmps: Excellent, thanks! Makes a lot of sense. Since I'm very partial to M&K that sounds like I'll be fine. Can't wait to finally try this out for myself.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Well then... They snuck that muthafucker out like a professional goddamn ninja! I'll finally get to play that thing!

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Play this game , people ! My 2012 goty .

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the game for the 360 and it's a fantastic game. The gameplay is great and the story is a lot deeper and darker than you'd think.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By TruthTellah

Hurray! Everyone should buy this and FEZ now that they're on Steam! :D

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I should buy this again so I end up actually playing it. My launch 360 started its last breaths when I got it on live. T.T

ajkent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet! I've been wanting this for awhile. Thanks for the heads up.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's cool, this was the last XBLA exclusive I wanted to play, but I just hate buying MS points, so this works out nicely.

Noogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Noogy

Thank you all for the massive support :) I honestly had no idea how it would do on Steam but it's been topping the chart for the last few days, and I have you all to thank!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bigjeffrey

@noogy said:

Thank you all for the massive support :) I honestly had no idea how it would do on Steam but it's been topping the chart for the last few days, and I have you all to thank!

Love higher resolution, played it on 360 but very much enjoying the PC version.

Will buy your next project no doubt. Xbox One Animated Series???

Paulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone explain this furry thing to me? Cause i seriously don't get it, i know there' some weird fetish thing going on but what does the furry thing refer to exactly? The artstyle or the weird fetishists?

Also how the fuck can people automatically jump to a weird niche fetish thing instead of a Don Bluth or disney animations?

Sometimes I really don't get the internet man...

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's interesting, I was under the impression this game could never be released anywhere other than Xbox because the developer won an XBLA contest and basically had a lifetime contract with Microsoft in terms of publishing rights for this game.

If MS is getting more into steam publishing, maybe those rumors about the Halo trilogy coming to steam a while back will actually turn out to be true.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TruthTellah

@paulus said:

Can someone explain this furry thing to me? Cause i seriously don't get it, i know there' some weird fetish thing going on but what does the furry thing refer to exactly? The artstyle or the weird fetishists?

Also how the fuck can people automatically jump to a weird niche fetish thing instead of a Don Bluth or disney animations?

Generally, "furry" is really just a style. It's based on anthropomorphized animals or humans given animal-like features. It is an enduring part of historical human culture, but in modern terms, it is most often referred to as a particular online fandom. Within that fandom are niches, including fetishists. Those fetishists are commonly scorned by people online, and despite only being a niche within the whole, some use their discomfort with that niche to paint a negative view of anything even resembling what they dislike.

When referring to Dust: An Elysian Tail, some people use "furry" as a derogatory term to indicate their unease with its art style, but as you noted, it actually leans more toward a Don Bluth or Disney aesthetic. The characters are anthropomorphized, but ultimately, that's just an art style. Despite some people being uncomfortable that any characters in that style are "sexualized", the game doesn't really cater to sexualization. It's simply the style of the artist, and he uses it to tell a rather human, sometimes dark fantasy tale with some entertaining action gameplay.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TruthTellah

@noogy said:

Thanks so much for your hard work! It's really quite the accomplishment. I'm glad that it has come to Steam and more people will get the opportunity to experience it.

I hope its success on Steam will mean future titles might be able to debut on PC. ;)

Once again, congrats, and I look forward to whatever great and unique work of art you create in the future.

Edit: And I bought the game again just to enjoy it on PC as well. You seem to have done a great port.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noogy said:

Alright ... this is a longshot, but how often do we get the chance to actually ask someone :) ... I saw it's on the top spot in sales, but what does that mean? 1000 copys sold? 10000 copys? (I bought one btw. ;) ) ... If you are allowed to talk about this and shed some light on the "Bestsellers" on steam, that would be beyond awesome.

Noogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2headedninja:

You know, I actually don't know how many sales I've made. So, most devs on Steam have realtime access to their numbers, but since I'm going through a publisher those numbers go through them. I suspect I'll know next week. Sadly I'm not allowed to share those numbers, either by Valve or Microsoft. I imagine if I did they'd take turn breaking my legs. Then fixing them. Then breaking them again.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noogy: You don't have to tell us any solid numbers. Next week when you possibly find out more, just tweet a picture of yourself with a big ol' pile of cash and let everyone know that you feel pretty comfortable with the financial prospects of your future projects. We can make our own conclusions from there.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@noogy said:

Seeing as you're reading this thread, I wanted you to know that I was lucky enough to get a copy of the game for free on XBLA when you tweeted some codes on NeoGAF. Just wanted to say thank you for that. I ended up really enjoying the game, and I've recommended it to quite a few others as a result.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By Dizzyhippos

What a great game, I will be genuinely sad if there isn't another one at some point

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@noogy said:

This is the next game on my list (going to finish To The Moon first) - so I'm definitely happy for you!

Hopefully with the next gen consoles being much more like PCs the transition will be quicker/easier in the future!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@paulus said:

Generally, "furry" is really just a style. It's based on anthropomorphized animals or humans given animal-like features. It is an enduring part of historical human culture, but in modern terms, it is most often referred to as a particular online fandom. Within that fandom are niches, including fetishists. Those fetishists are commonly scorned by people online, and despite only being a niche within the whole, some use their discomfort with that niche to paint a negative view of anything even resembling what they dislike.

When referring to Dust: An Elysian Tail, some people use "furry" as a derogatory term to indicate their unease with its art style, but as you noted, it actually leans more toward a Don Bluth or Disney aesthetic. The characters are anthropomorphized, but ultimately, that's just an art style. Despite some people being uncomfortable that any characters in that style are "sexualized", the game doesn't really cater to sexualization. It's simply the style of the artist, and he uses it to tell a rather human, sometimes dark fantasy tale with some entertaining action gameplay.

Furthermore even within the furry community there are plenty of sects within the communities that have no sexual overtones to them. Some people simply look at these furry avatars as an extension of their own human personalities. Many will make up a character, name them etc its actually similar to LARPing in a number of ways.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noogy said:

@2headedninja:

You know, I actually don't know how many sales I've made. So, most devs on Steam have realtime access to their numbers, but since I'm going through a publisher those numbers go through them. I suspect I'll know next week. Sadly I'm not allowed to share those numbers, either by Valve or Microsoft. I imagine if I did they'd take turn breaking my legs. Then fixing them. Then breaking them again.

Thanks for taking the time to answer ... I suspected as much :) ... I hope in the end you will hear a huge number :) ... you sold at least 1 copy ;)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ripelivejam

pretty sure you're not at liberty to say, but is it safe to say Dust has been more successful on its few days out on steam compared to its time out on XBLA so far? just give a wink if so ;)

it must be pretty liberating in a way, but i probably shoudn't goad you on in disparaging your previous publisher/distributor, lol.

Noogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Again, I honestly don't know since I don't have numbers. I'm just as curious as everyone else because I've heard the stories. I will say that Dust:AET has been on XBLA for nine months now and did pretty well, so I'd be shocked if the Steam version has sold even a fraction of that number. But who knows?

inknail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By inknail

Absolutely loved playing this on XBLA last summer, it's probably my favorite game of 2012. Considering getting it on Steam as well to see how well it ports over. 1080p resolution should be pretty great as well.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#44  Edited By JJWeatherman

Awesome. It's on my wishlist, but it'll have to wait until I finish up some other games first--most notably, the Witchers.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45  Edited By Elwoodan

easily on my GOTY list already, and it is *shocker* a solid PC port, I'm playing with a 360 pad, but it's nice that the prompts change on the fly. Plus, an options menu!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Hell yeah Dust!

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@elwoodan said:

easily on my GOTY list already, and it is *shocker* a solid PC port, I'm playing with a 360 pad, but it's nice that the prompts change on the fly. Plus, an options menu!

To me as a PC gamer that on the fly switch between M&K and Controller is one sign of quality. I'm flabbergasted how many big developers don't manage to get that right and how many small Devs manage to do it. Bastion was really good with that too.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noogy said:

@ripelivejam: Again, I honestly don't know since I don't have numbers. I'm just as curious as everyone else because I've heard the stories. I will say that Dust:AET has been on XBLA for nine months now and did pretty well, so I'd be shocked if the Steam version has sold even a fraction of that number. But who knows?

I think that the success and positive reception of your game just proves that you don't need a blockbuster budget of hundreds of millions of dollars in development and marketing to create a game with a lasting impression.

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeap, waited for this. Hope it's a good port.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By buft

I wanted this game so bad, it came out just after my personal Xbox broke and the family one was being hogged by my 11 year old. I bought it day one on PC, fantastic game and i could recommend it to anyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.