Future Dodrill Project & Dust PC Port Speculation/Hype/Discussion

#1 Edited by Doomed (196 posts) -

Dean Dodrill is working on both a PC port of Dust and some other game. These quotes may be about Dust or may be about something else. Hard to say.

Working through the code of Dust:AET, I honestly think I spent nearly half of my four years solely on user interface :p - 1/17

SPOILERS In the near term, Dodrill mentioned that players hoping the game would become available somewhere other than XBLA should keep paying attention. - 1/16

[Semi-related] “Alex and I have already chatted about my next game which we’re hoping to announce sometime soon but we’ll see,” said Dodrill. “It’s actually one that I think you and Brad [Shoemaker] will probably hopefully enjoy because you love horror and Brad loves Super Metroid.”

Thanks all for playing. I'll hopefully have something new to announce soon... Dust related and not. - 1/6

Literally just took my first day off from work since November (yes, including Christmas & New Years). Was a nice, liberating feeling. - 1/11

Finally, while it was my intention to make a dialogue-heavy RPG, it's not something I'm rushing to do again right away. The time, cost, and insane amount of work that it takes to write, test, record, and localize such a thick script makes it a prohibitive endeavor. - 10/31/12

Even Dust:AET was a MUCH harder and less forgiving game during the first couple years of development. My next game will return to that. - 12/16/12

This post is getting long. Have this link and one more and a bonus that doesn't have to do with a PC port or new game.

-------------

What I take away from all this is:

Dust is great; I want to see more from Dean Dodrill. I intend to buy the PC release and if it comes with TF2 hats I will pre-order it. Then I'd probably give the game to a friend since I've already finished it on 360.

Dean should work normal hours. 5 days a week and whatnot. He has a family. I hope he never has to be in crunch ever again... at least, not for how long he was in crunch.

I can't tell if the PC release will be a "director's cut" or not. We could get HD-er video, more cutscenes, etc. However, Dodrill may just want to move on from this one project.

I really liked the anthropomorphic art style. Of course, it's selfish to say that he should use that style again and again and not grow as an artist in any way.

Dean's all-out approach to Dust made it an amazing game. But as he mentioned, it takes a huge amount of work to put that kind of game together.

#2 Posted by MURDERSMASH (251 posts) -

I loved the anthro art style as well. Made me nostalgic for the plethora of 80's and 90's cartoons featuring talking animals that I watched so much of as a kid. Shows like, Darkwing Duck, Ren and Stimpy, and Rocko's Modern Life. Also, who doesn't like older stuff like Looney Tunes, or Tom and Jerry? Combine the cartoony style with the dark, serious story tone, and that makes it really compelling for me.

As for how much Dean works, I think he likes working as much as he does. Not so much with the 20-hour crunch days, but it's obvious from the raw ambition shown in Dust that the guy has a work ethic that few people can approach.

Can't wait for the PC release, though. While I've played through the game almost a full 3 times now (made it through to the Blackmoor Mountains on Hardcore difficulty in my latest playthrough), I'd love to have an excuse to just fire it up again on PC. Not to mention, all my friends on Steam don't have 360's, and they really want to see the game because of how much I praise it when talking to them.

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (11927 posts) -

i'll definitely consider picking it up, despite the art style making me want to vomit.

#4 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Considering Dust was my second favorite game last year, I'm all in.

#5 Posted by AssInAss (2645 posts) -

@Doomed said:

This post is getting long. Have this link and one more and a bonus that doesn't have to do with a PC port or new game.

I think this tweet was worth highlighting, it's crazy he could change art styles just like that since he spent years making one style:

#6 Posted by Lukeweizer (2677 posts) -

I really hope a PC version is coming. Would love to have another reason to play the game and it would look incredible at 1920x1080.

#7 Posted by Fredddi43 (331 posts) -

@Lukeweizer said:

I really hope a PC version is coming. Would love to have another reason to play the game and it would look incredible at 1920x1080.

This. Exactly this. Anything to go back to this gorgeous, gorgeous game, especially on PC hardware.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.