Is anyone else turned off by the art design/aesthetic

#301 Posted by senorfuzzeh (385 posts) -

It slightly reminded me of furries, but that animation is fucking amazing. Its like Being in a Disney movie.

#302 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

I first saw the game, and didn't think furry or anything, then everyone started screaming it (not everyone, but a vocal minority), and I started to see, then I started PLAYING it, and I love it. It's a great game, it is a shame some people are gonna miss out on a legit great game experience over nothing.

#303 Posted by Veektarius (4841 posts) -

Personally I find it hard to take seriously any setting that has an arbitrary animal cast. The furry thing isn't bothering me, it gets way worse than this game. But the fact that the main character is a teal (something) in a fantasy world populated by a more or less random population of anthropomorphized creatures really makes the whole thing seem silly to me.

#304 Edited by verysexypotato (214 posts) -
#305 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@Donkeycow said:

The animals are way too human for my taste. I dont really have an issue with anthropomorphized animals (i'm cool with Looney Toons and an American Tail and what not) but when they make that step to close to human proportions i can't help but get turned off by the whole thing. When i heard the staff talking about this game on the bombcast i was interested, but the instant i saw how "furry" it was on the quicklook i wanted nothing more to do with it.

To a large degree, this.

Like, Overgrowth is an art style I can get behind. You ever read that comic on their website? I'm TOTALLY down for dogs fighting other dogs (and maybe rabbits) with swords... AS LONG AS THEY LOOK LIKE DOGS.

Once you get to "big hipped enormous ass eyes orange thing" I start thinking DeviantArt - because, trust me, first hand experience.

#306 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3872 posts) -

@OneManX said:

I first saw the game, and didn't think furry or anything, then everyone started screaming it (not everyone, but a vocal minority), and I started to see, then I started PLAYING it, and I love it. It's a great game, it is a shame some people are gonna miss out on a legit great game experience over nothing.

Agreed. I don't get the furry thing at all. I can't think of another fetishized thing that people let freak them out even if they have no interest in it that way. Some people get turned on by feet. I don't look at someones feet and go "oh gross, some people get all hot over feet, don't show me yours you weirdo". I mean feet are gross but thats just cause they're feet. Not liking the art style is another thing entirely and if you don't like it that's totally up to you.

Would be a shame not to give the game a chance though. It's real damn good.

#307 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I should make a mod for Dust: An Elysian Tail that turns all the furries into juggalos

#308 Edited by makari (599 posts) -

I feel like if your barrier for enjoying something is limited by some nebulous person you don't know but assume is a bit weird that may or may not be fapping to it at any given moment then you would probably not be able to enjoy anything in this world.

#309 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@TeflonBilly

I should make a mod for Dust: An Elysian Tail that turns all the furries into juggalos

Now they would be a turn off...unless Brad was the starring Juggalo
#310 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Oh yeah, also, I wonder how many people hating Dust for being "furry" and the implied sexual deviancy of the associated subculture have ever, say, rubbed one out while watching hentai or playing a visual novel starring over-sexualised school girls that are "18"?

#311 Posted by Oi_Blimey (91 posts) -

People that are avoiding this game because it looks too "furry" are so insecure. That your mind went straight to animal sex just shows how dirty and messed up you are. The game is rated 10+ for everyone, there's no sex in it. The recent Sonic the hedgehog games are more sexualized then this.

#312 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

I don't have a problem with art style I'm just having a hard time tolerating Fidget. Probably the most annoying character ever.

#313 Posted by Hailinel (24845 posts) -

How does this thread continue to live?

#314 Posted by Demoskinos (14841 posts) -
@laserbolts
I don't have a problem with art style I'm just having a hard time tolerating Fidget. Probably the most annoying character ever.
But that is kind of the point of her character is to be that token annoying sidekick. I think she has her moments though. When she referenced RE4 upon meeting the merchant for the first time that shit cracked me up. And dust is constantly calling her on all the bullshit she talks which is also great.
#315 Posted by Bravestar (381 posts) -

@rmanthorp said:

Deviant Art: The Game.

This is the perfect summary of why I don't like the look of the game. It's like browsing DA and on first sight a lot of the pictures look well drawn and good, people put a lot of time and effort into their pictures, but then I notice fundamental flaws like anatomy(the one thing they always get wrong. "but it's cartoon style" is the worst excuse) or how shadows fall.

It's a pet peeve of mine, but if a character is drawn in a style that wants proper anatomy(not ren&stimpy), the character stands upright and the character's hands are on the same level as his knees, I can't play the game. There is always something off and it's annoying. Also teal is the worst colour.

#316 Edited by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

I like the way it looks. The characters look cute but in a whimsical, fantasy kind of way that you don't get to see much of at all in modern games. People need to stop making it into something it isn't. The game isn't about "sexy furries" or anything, it's a game that happens to have animals as the main characters. You know, like Sam and Max, Wallace and Gromit or raving rabbids. What about in the Looney Tunes, Pepe La Pew's girlfriend Penelope Pussycat or Lola Bunny? They had a feminine figures. We can divorce those from the "furry" culture but not this? *sigh* -.-

#317 Posted by Atary77 (502 posts) -

@Still_I_Cry said:

I like the way it looks. The characters look cute but in a whimsical, fantasy kind of way that you don't get to see much of at all in modern games. People need to stop making it into something it isn't. The game isn't about "sexy furries" or anything, it's a game that happens to have animals as the main characters. You know, like Sam and Max, Wallace and Gromit or raving rabbids. What about in the Looney Tunes, Pepe La Pew's girlfriend Penelope Pussycat or Lola Bunny? They had a feminine figures. We can divorce those from the "furry" culture but not this? *sigh* -.-

basically this.

plus all stuff the guys said on the bombcast.

#318 Posted by malnourish (80 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

That's odd, normally I'm easily annoyed by many characters in the same vain as Fidget, however she's one of if not my favorite character in the game.

Fantastic consistent voice acting, great dialogue (e.g. tasteful mocking of game mechanics, interaction with Dust), and an adorable little sister vibe.

#319 Posted by CaLe (3988 posts) -

I'm more turned off by having to turn on my 360 and navigate the menu to buy this game than I am by the art style. It is over the top in a certain direction, but it's also very well done and not offensive in any way.

#320 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Is this "furry" thing new? What does it have to do with this game it looks great!

#321 Posted by Roboculus92 (518 posts) -

Regardless of whether or not you like the art style, I think we can all agree that the fact that this guy was able to accomplish so much by himself is something to be applauded. I mean seriously, the dude had no previous programming experience but he wanted to make this game so he just went and learned how to program. That's awesome!

#322 Posted by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

I can't believe people are still complaining about the art style, it is really flush full of colors and the animal aesthetic is unique in this market. Not to mention the combat and game play is excellent, I am with brad on this one.

#323 Posted by thomasnash (557 posts) -

I know I'm late but I'ma say my piece anyway.

It kind of annoyed me how on the bombcast they were like "oh if you don't like the design you're an idiot" because I think it's a valid criticism to make. Maybe you can leave the furry stuff out of the complaints, especially because I haven't heard of any animal-banging in the game. But it is perfectly possible to just plain not like the character design in the game. I did find it really offputting to be honest.

That said, they were right in that if you can put up with that, everything else about this game seems great. I've only played the demo so I can't speak for the story, but the combat system is absolutely brilliant, one of the most satisfying combat systems I've ever played. Character design aside, the art looks incredible, and so on. I'll probably buy this game at some point, even though I do really dislike the characters. Although even in the short time I played the demo I found myself coming round to that a bit.

#324 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

Not as classy as Muramasa.

#325 Edited by thomasnash (557 posts) -

If you could get Muramasa on the 360 I would def go for that I think...

Well, I'd probs get both, but I wouldn't have felt the lack of a game of this type on 360 so much.

#326 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Muramasa is such a gorgeous game. Wasn't there talks of an HD re-release of that and Odin Sphere?

#327 Posted by Hailinel (24845 posts) -
@TeflonBilly

Muramasa is such a gorgeous game. Wasn't there talks of an HD re-release of that and Odin Sphere?

Only that the art in Muramasa is HD ready and could allow for easy porting. No official plans were ever announced.
#328 Posted by Izbaadin_Islamabad (71 posts) -

Is Brad the colorblind one? It would explain a lot. The color palette is a crime against people with fully working eyes.

#329 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

Is Brad the colorblind one? It would explain a lot. The color palette is a crime against people with fully working eyes.

I don't think Brad is the colorblind one. And, uh, the color palette isn't great but it's hardly that bad.

#330 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

Would people bat an eye if this game was made twenty five years ago? Would they go "that looks too much like furries" or would they go "oh, an off-beat art design"?

#331 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

Yeah, kinda. Part of it is the same thing that I don't like about most animated things today in that it looks too "clean." Old cartoons looked dark and gritty. I like that.

Edit: Also, I should say that when I say "gritty," I mean literal grit. Like dirt.

Yeah, I totally agree.

It's because when they produced old animation, they actually had to hand produce the cells and then film them with a regular camera. This meant that things like film noise were introduced into the scenes as well as the various light imbalances from the capture process. Sometimes they would even use practical effects like lenses btween the capture camera and the animation layer to introduce special effects. This all gave the animation a certain texture that modern animation doesn't have. I agree with you that it is completely detrimental to the believablity of the world. We live in a world of texture and it's hard to buy anything as being a living, breathing entity if it devoid of texture.

#332 Posted by golguin (3932 posts) -

@HaltIamReptar said:

Would people bat an eye if this game was made twenty five years ago? Would they go "that looks too much like furries" or would they go "oh, an off-beat art design"?

The would say it was reminiscent of Disney's Robin Hood.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.