Gamepad support?

#1 Posted by juice8367 (446 posts) -

Small rant. So I love what i've played of the game. The style & speed-run nature of the stages are awesome but I swear I feel like I'm just fighting the controls more than anything. Hopefully someday the game gets gamepad support cause the keyboard & mouse ain't cutting it for me.

#2 Posted by ghostNPC (793 posts) -

A generic usb gamepad works fine for me; I'm using a PS2 controller with a usb adapter. Go into controls, change the controls as normal but press your gamepad button instead of a key.

#3 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

Yep, you gotta change the controls manually in the settings. The game is SO much better with a gamepad than with mouse/keyboard tbh.

#4 Posted by Mnemoidian (962 posts) -

Yeah, there is gamepad support...but you need to set the keys manually. It's pretty annoying.

#5 Posted by Abendlaender (2889 posts) -

Even when you use a gamepad, I still don't feel like I'm 100% in control.

#6 Posted by BananaHace (66 posts) -

Using a stick makes this game feel great to me

#7 Posted by CheapPoison (742 posts) -

Blasphemy!

#8 Posted by juice8367 (446 posts) -

@ghostNPC: @Vexxan: Thank You! Thank You! You guys saved this game for me!

#9 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@Abendlaender said:

Even when you use a gamepad, I still don't feel like I'm 100% in control.

I had that problem for awhile, too. Specifically with wallrunning. The trick is to hold the analog stick toward the wall you're approaching, touch the wall, then flick the stick up. Otherwise you just smash your face into the wall and fall.

#10 Posted by BananaHace (66 posts) -

Angled ceilings still mess me up, there's something odd about holding the direction directly into the wall for me, for some reason.

#11 Posted by Drakoji (230 posts) -

Using the D-Pad (I use a PS3 controller) is waaaay better than the sticks... The game was made with analog controls in mind.

#12 Posted by Wunder_ (1171 posts) -

@BananaHace said:

Angled ceilings still mess me up, there's something odd about holding the direction directly into the wall for me, for some reason.

Hey man, I got a quick question about getting a fight stick to work, how did you get the game to recognize it? I have it plugged in and recognized as a device for Windows but the game itself doesn't notice anything. Did you have to get a third-party program?

#13 Posted by BananaHace (66 posts) -

@Wunder_: You have to map the buttons and the directions manually in the settings menu, the game won't do it automatically for you. It works for both 360 and PS3 sticks, just tested it.

Out of curiosity, do you have a PS3 or a 360? Is this the first PC game you've tried using a stick with?

#14 Posted by Wunder_ (1171 posts) -

@BananaHace: By settings menu you mean going into Options and configuring the controls from there right? I've tried doing that but it doesn't recognize my buttons/stick movements, same with my gamepad. I've used my fightstick for SSF4AE and jokingly with Rock of Ages. I have a MadCatz TE Stick for Xbox 360/PC. I don't own any consoles though :(

#15 Posted by BananaHace (66 posts) -

@Wunder_: Do you have to stick set to d-pad mode on the top switch? Some games don't take analog movement on occasion. No idea why the buttons won't register though :C

If nothing else works, you can just use JoyToKeyinstead, although, it might be a hair less responsive compared to direct inputs.

#16 Posted by mariussmit (247 posts) -

So this would work with a wired Xbox 360 controller?

#17 Posted by BananaHace (66 posts) -

Yep!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.