Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dying Light

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 27, 2015

Dying Light is a first-person, open world game set in a zombie apocalypse. The player character is able to free-run to get around the environment quickly.

Dying Light Now a Next-Gen/PC Only Title

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By SMTDante89

Techland took to Facebook earlier today to announce that the PS3 and 360 versions of Dying Light have been cancelled and will now be releasing for the PS4, Xbox One and PC only. The main reason is apparently the game wasn't able to run well enough on last generation's consoles, and therefore have decided to leave them behind and release on PC and the current generation of consoles. Here's the message in full if you don't want to follow the link:

Dear Gamers,

As you probably know, we’re wrapping up the development of Dying Light, our biggest and most ambitious project to date. We spent the last three years making sure that all the features of our game add up to create a truly next-gen experience.

Much of this “next-gen feel” is tightly connected to the technological side of Dying Light. For instance, up to 200,000 objects can be displayed in the game at once. Add to this our use of realistic, physics-based lighting technology and you really start to push the next-gen systems to the limits. Features like these along with our core gameplay pillars – such as the player-empowering Natural Movement, threefold character development system, and vast open world – are all an inherent part of how Dying Light plays. However, combining all of these into one fluid experience is only possible on technologically advanced platforms.

Therefore, after thorough internal testing, we have come to the conclusion that we have no choice but to leave past-gen systems behind and release Dying Light exclusively on the next-gen consoles and PC. Put simply, older consoles just couldn’t run the game and stay true to the core vision of Dying Light at the same time.

To ensure you enjoy Dying Light as much as we would like you to, we chose to release it without any compromises on the three strongest systems available. Thanks to this, you’ll get the full and best experience regardless of the platform you play on.

We hope you understand the hard choice we’ve had to make. With the launch just around the corner, we can’t wait to show you Dying Light in the state it was meant to be. We’re looking forward to your reactions and impressions as we release the game in January 2015.

So for those of you that had the game pre-ordered on the PS3/360, how does this affect you? Is this enough of a push for you to grab a next-gen console or purchase the game on PC? Or are you effectively writing this game off for the foreseeable future?

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Shouldn't they have announced this a loooooong time ago?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I keep forgetting this game exists.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sucks for people that don't have a new console yet, but at the same time makes me happy we are steadily getting to the point where current consoles are the prime focus.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

There are some very angry comments on Facebook about this, and I totally get where they're coming from. It would suck looking forward to a game as much as some of those people are and then being told that it wasn't going to be available for them.

At the same time, this makes me very happy because it means that what they're doing is really pushing the limits of the new consoles and they don't want to compromise the experience on the last-gen machines. in a way, it's made my expectations of this game skyrocket, so I really hope they deliver. if it's just Dead Rising with parkour, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wolfgame
    @turtlebird95 said:

I keep forgetting this game exists.

Yea, same had to refresh myself on this game because I just mentally couldn't place it. It seems to me this is the best possible consumer driven decision, rather than releasing a game that would be inferior or incapable of performing on the old hardware and then angering players they have stepped up and made the right decision. If the 360 and ps3 couldn't deliver what they needed to make an enjoyable game why would anyone want to buy it on those platforms.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.