Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dying Light

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 27, 2015

Dying Light is a first-person, open world game set in a zombie apocalypse. The player character is able to free-run to get around the environment quickly.

First 15 minutes of Dying Light and more info

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

Not much to say other than the fact that the game so far looks pretty great.

• The gameplay seems smooth and dynamic. It's like Mirrors edge meets Dead Island, only way better --- Pretty sure I'm the 1000th person to make that parallel but fuck it.
    • The zombies don't seem like cake walks even during the day, which is supposed to be the time where the player has the advantage.
    • Can't say much for the characters yet, but they do seem real and interesting, so I guess that's a plus. They're not to over the top either, thank god. I was hoping for a more serious game.
    • Not sure if this'll be part of the gameplay, but one of the comments in the footage said to save the traps for the night. I wonder if this will have us set up and conserve traps, which suggest that maybe we'll have to memorize our own routes to know where all the important stuff are? Just a thought that occurred.
    • The visuals are stunning.
    • And fucking hell... I hope there are more giant sledge hammer wielding zombies.

Here's more info on what the game will be like.

• Biters/night runners- Basically regular zombies who go ballistic during the night.
    • Volatiles- I wonder if you have unlimited UV light? Nah, given how they are focusing on making you feel helpless that would kind of be a bad design. Or maybe not, depends on the execution.
    • Night hunter - Zombie Spider-men. Just look at how they get around and hunt you...you know it to be true.

Anyways, they seem really keen on giving the player contrasting experiences. Personally I love the idea of having fun during the day while cowering and hiding during the night. Plus, it doesn't really seem that cut and dry, considering that the game seems to be encouraging you to spend time outside, which, as said, grants you more diverse and versatile loot to beat zombies with. They can really play around with this concept in various ways, like having the special/rare zombies appear more often during night time.

What intrigues me is that they said there were three types of zombies, yet we've seen a 4th brute like version. So are there more or do these guys fit into the regular biter category?

Enjoy and share your thoughts.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ThunderSlash

The guy playing the doctor is totally the guy who played Achilles in Assassin's Creed 3.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

Everything about this seems super bland and one note. The movement is literally all it has. It being about zombies doesn't help.

I hate the Mirror's Edge comparison because it doesn't have any of the style that defined that game.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

Everything about this seems super bland and one note. The movement is literally all it has. It being about zombies doesn't help.

I hate the Mirror's Edge comparison because it doesn't have any of the style that defined that game.

That's a pretty negative view. Personally it looks great; it seems to have a good mix of survival horror and fun. I wouldn't say that movement is all it has, considering there have been multiple trailers showing a world where one utilize the environment in various ways and use loot to get cool weapons to smash zombies with. And that's only on a superficial level.

What draws ME the most to this game though is the fact that it seems to do a good job of pulling the rug under you. One moment your the predator and then you suddenly become the pray.

I haven't decided to get this but the more content I see the more I'm certain I'll like it.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Looks fun to me. I'm not big on emphasizing the survival elements over the cartoony combat of the Dead Island series, but with Dead Island 2 also just around the corner, I'm perfectly okay with something different. One thing I'm not clear on is if these missions are set to a day/night cycle, and if that causes you to fail missions if you don't prepare for the night fast enough. I'd like to be able to just explore and fuck around a bit.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

"Okay noob."

ಠ_ಠ

Combat and movement looks lot smoother than Dead Island. Gettin around on rooftops looks like a ton of fun.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By pause422

I'm still super interested in the game, I'll just say after seeing faces up close in FC4, these by comparison don't look very good. A bit underwhelmed by the visuals overall, especially for a game that is skipping last gen. FC4 which has far better looking characters is even on last gen still, so...just kinda strange.

Also the lip syncing doesn't look so good at all.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks fun to me. I'm not big on emphasizing the survival elements over the cartoony combat of the Dead Island series, but with Dead Island 2 also just around the corner, I'm perfectly okay with something different. One thing I'm not clear on is if these missions are set to a day/night cycle, and if that causes you to fail missions if you don't prepare for the night fast enough. I'd like to be able to just explore and fuck around a bit.

I think on most of the missions, if not all, will be designed around the day/night cycle, meaning that during story or side missions the shifts from day to night won't be random. However, considering how they emphasized on making the player both have fun and fear for their lives, I think during free roam these cycles won't be predetermined and we'll still be able to fuck around.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Pretty terrible dialogue. Visually the game looks fine, although the people could look a bit better. I don't think I'll be buying this one.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By theacidskull

Pretty terrible dialogue. Visually the game looks fine, although the people could look a bit better. I don't think I'll be buying this one.

Do you mean the lip sinking or the written dialogue itself?

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I can't say for sure why, but that jumping animation looks kinda janky. Maybe it's the leg that's throwing me here. Still, it looks pretty cool and traversal looks relatively fluid? I dunno, I'll have to wait until I've gotten a chance to actually feel it out.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By theacidskull
    Loading Video...

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull:

Gotta give Techland credit, they finally have some decent voice acting.

Also, with Roger Craig Smith voicing the protagonist, I'm just going to pretend this is a RE side story.

Games looking pretty great.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: I did laugh pretty hard when the protagonist proclaimed "I'm just a goddamn parkour instructor!" in that trailer.

Game is looking alright. I'm very interested to see how it turns out.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#17  Edited By sammo21

More like Zombies Edge AMIRITE? That guy in the safehouse seemed to go from talking dude to zombie pretty quick.

This looks interesting though. Wouldn't mind a co-op mode to run through with friends thats more than just a half assed survival mode.

I'd love a monster hunting game. Not Monster Hunter but where you play a Van Helsing type character. Would love a survival game where vampires could literally chase you anywhere but holy ground or across running water.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull:

Gotta give Techland credit, they finally have some decent voice acting.

Also, with Roger Craig Smith voicing the protagonist, I'm just going to pretend this is a RE side story.

Games looking pretty great.

Agreed! The only thing that has bothered me from the gameplay footage is the lip sinking, which, to be quite honest, isn't all that bad.

This is shaping up to be a great game.

@theacidskull: I did laugh pretty hard when the protagonist proclaimed "I'm just a goddamn parkour instructor!" in that trailer.

Game is looking alright. I'm very interested to see how it turns out.

I know, right? Pretty hilarious.

Me too, though I am a tad more excited than you :P

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just learned that the game won't have dead island's analog combat system... So my excitement level for it just dropped about 70%..

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ProfessorEss

@onarum said:

Just learned that the game won't have dead island's analog combat system... So my excitement level for it just dropped about 70%..

That's a huge blow to my excitement level too.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I was kind of bored looking at that... I'm not really sure why.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By Tordah

I remain optimistic. This looks pretty great.

Avatar image for mycroft_ampersand
    Mycroft_Ampersand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can already tell that the climbing animation is going to get pretty annoying. It looks quite slow and a little too long compared to the rest of the movement.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lost_Remnant

I'm definitely interested to play this. Dead Island but with parkour elements and making night a serious threat seems a-okay by me.

Still going to be cautious though, the first Dead Island was a fun if flawed game but I thought Riptide was straight up a bunk game and completely unnecessary. It's hard to know what you'll get with Techland from game to game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.