Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dying Light

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 27, 2015

Dying Light is a first-person, open world game set in a zombie apocalypse. The player character is able to free-run to get around the environment quickly.

Techland Cancels Dying Light on 360, PS3

• 71 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

Techland's announced the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Dying Light have been cancelled.

As we approach the one-year anniversary of Xbox One and PlayStation 4, we're still seeing games straddle the line between the current generation of consoles and what we've relied on for years. Dying Light was trying to pull it off, but not anymore.

Techland released a letter explaining its decision to fans, which I've published in full below:

"Dear Gamers,

As you probably know, we’re wrapping up the development of Dying Light, our biggest and most ambitious project to date. We spent the last three years making sure that all the features of our game add up to create a truly next-gen experience.

Much of this “next-gen feel” is tightly connected to the technological side of Dying Light. For instance, up to 200,000 objects can be displayed in the game at once. Add to this our use of realistic, physics-based lighting technology and you really start to push the next-gen systems to the limits. Features like these along with our core gameplay pillars – such as the player-empowering Natural Movement, threefold character development system, and vast open world – are all an inherent part of how Dying Light plays. However, combining all of these into one fluid experience is only possible on technologically advanced platforms.

Therefore, after thorough internal testing, we have come to the conclusion that we have no choice but to leave past-gen systems behind and release Dying Light exclusively on the next-gen consoles and PC. Put simply, older consoles just couldn’t run the game and stay true to the core vision of Dying Light at the same time.

To ensure you enjoy Dying Light as much as we would like you to, we chose to release it without any compromises on the three strongest systems available. Thanks to this, you’ll get the full and best experience regardless of the platform you play on.

We hope you understand the hard choice we’ve had to make. With the launch just around the corner, we can’t wait to show you Dying Light in the state it was meant to be. We’re looking forward to your reactions and impressions as we release the game in January 2015."

That sounds nice, but it's hard to imagine cutting the previous generation versions loose a few months before shipping will help the current generation versions. Decisions about Dying Light's design were made with all versions in mind years ago. We're avoiding some versions of Dying Light with bad frame rates.

Conrad148

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Conrad148

The faster we move on the better imo.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i guess you could say the light died on the past gen versions, oh ho ho!

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nasp

even though i dont think the new consoles are worth buying yet(was going to buy this on ps3)i dont have a problem with this.this is thing that needs to happen to get more games on next gen consoles so that we actually wanna buy one.at some point they have to stop making them for the old consoles and move on,its sad and i dont like spending 400 or more dollars on stuff but we have to move on.next year seems to be the year to buy a ps4 and i cant wait.

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By mak_wikus

This is a good decision considering how Monolith had to gut Shadow Of Mordor to make it run on last-gen systems.

rossi_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like the sound of "pushing the next-gen systems to the limits". It already feels like developers have already maxed out whats capable on the new systems, like is this as good as it gets for this generation?

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bybeach

Make those new consoles do their job. I've got enough backlog for my PS3 to satisfy me for a while, and like others I am not seeing my way to buy current gen. But there may come a day....

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@rossi_g said:

I don't like the sound of "pushing the next-gen systems to the limits". It already feels like developers have already maxed out whats capable on the new systems, like is this as good as it gets for this generation?

They say that all the time. There's nothing to worry about.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rossi_g said:

No. Over time developers will learn new techniques to make games run and play better on the Xbox One and PS4, it is just right now they are pushing the systems to the limits in the way they know how to now.

Every generation starts off with developers pushing consoles to their limits in the way they know how to, and over time refine their development. I think the best example of that is GTA IV and GTA V. GTA IV was an early 360 game, while GTA V was a late 360 game, and the difference between those two games are incredible.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Agreed.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rossi_g said:

I'm kinda with you. Especially now that consoles are almost identical to develop for as the PC. In years past, Sony and Microsoft would always make better tools available for developers to play around with, but now that the infrastructure is basically a PC, how much can they really improve the tools?

I don't know. We're one year in, and I think these consoles are looking weaker and weaker every day.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brandondryrock: I still doubt this current gen has much more room upwards, after all we now all sharing the same architecture (Xbone, PS4, PC). Last gen the PS3 could use it's cell architecture to do something special the other platforms couldn't really do, at least from time to time. But if the current gen lasts as long as the last one, then this could potentially end very ugly. What if UltraHD becomes "mainstream" in the next 5-10 years? Neither the PS4 and especially not the Xbone are up for that and will never be, regardless of optimization.

As somebody who's always been primarily a PC gamer, it feels like this "new gen" is like the worst kind of "upgrade" to consoles in a long time, it's basically only been a spec upgrade with not much else. It's gonna be quite a few years until any of the new consoles accumulate an collection of exclusive games, which is about the only thing that makes them worthwhile for PC gamers.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By KaneRobot

This seems like a good time to start doing stuff like this. Both new consoles came out kind of half-baked but enough updates and new games have come out now so it's probably the time to start the real transition.

kirkdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By kirkdouglas

i guess you could say the light died on the past gen versions, oh ho ho!

No Caption Provided

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Elcor: Oh. How I are disappoint.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Excellent.

I know it hits a smaller user base, but otherwise it probably would've been a gimped version like last-gen Mordor.

Instead of using resources to downgrade a game, companies can start concentrating on innovating new ideas. Which is way more appealing.

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Woah. First read it as it being cancelled altogether. That would have been crazy

Acornactivist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

As mildly bummed as I am about this, since I only own a 360, this seems like what should be happening now. Some games like Destiny came out just fine on old consoles (As did Fantasia: Music Evolved, by the way. You all need to play that thing!) but, a year into the new consoles life cycle, it's time to focus on those platforms and let the old consoles go.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh. The 'for both generations' thing has to stop eventually. It's just happening sooner rather than later.

Kuplamuovi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"However, combining all of these into one fluid experience is only possible on technologically advanced platforms."

So, PC only?

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I wonder what behind the scenes business models are changing that allowed this decisions to be cleared? I've been thinking that the AC Unity engine was just too advanced to downscale and maybe when investors got scared at throwing money at new consoles they probably just decided to make a whole new game instead of compromising their new one.

Well, the new consoles are selling I guess so some suit is thinking focusing on next gen is okay, I guess!

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By brandondryrock

@nethlem: I would wait a few years to see what other developers put out before saying that that these consoles won't be able to do much more. We're only one year into this console cycle. To say they are at their limit, or almost at their limit right now, is a little premature in my opinion.

As for the UltraHD stuff, I don't know what will happen with that. But it will be a few years before 4K becomes the norm in what the consumer purchases. Who knows what will happen between now and 5 years from now in the gaming industry. I don't see this console generation lasting as long as the previous one, to be honest.

smiddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most intelligent thing I've seen a developer do in quite some time.

Let's hope they're a trend setter. The sooner we can cut off the infected limb that is last-gen the quicker we can move on.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By probablytuna

Huh, I didn't even realise that it is planned for a January release, or that I forgot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d000a93730da
    deactivated-5d000a93730da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

Good.

Luck702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it makes the PC and current gen versions better, then why not.

Luck702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it makes the PC and current gen versions better, then why not.

@legion_ said:

@rossi_g said:

I'm kinda with you. Especially now that consoles are almost identical to develop for as the PC. In years past, Sony and Microsoft would always make better tools available for developers to play around with, but now that the infrastructure is basically a PC, how much can they really improve the tools?

I don't know. We're one year in, and I think these consoles are looking weaker and weaker every day.

Guyz, guyz, guyz... Look at any early PS3 game from 2006-2008 and compare that to The Last of Us. Or compare Perfect Dark Zero to Gears of War 3. It's not just about brute force strength of a system, it's about how comfortable developers get in terms of optimization and squeezing every last bit out of it. The only difference this time around is that this generation is the first to make PC gaming just as big and pervasive as console gaming in terms of developer support and good ports.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By soulcake

Goodjob don't waste resource on stuff i don't want.

Lyfeforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're "wrapping up development" and just now they're cancelling some platform versions? Wouldn't they have to had made some concessions/changes to their development to accomodate last gen already? Or am I just reading that wrong?

OttoRostock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they are doing this because they know that the game is meh.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*~plays Taps in the background~*

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, that seems BS-y; it's coming out in 3 months, that's not enough time to undo the "damage" the previous consoles seemly have caused to the current-gen versions of the game. It's in Techland's best interest to sell more copies to make more money, which makes me think there was some sort of financial incentive to keep the game exclusive to new boxes. Is it possible both MS and Sony ponied up some cash? Maybe preferential treatment? I'm making it sound like some sort of conspiracy, which it's not - Dying Light doesn't warrant that much attention. Just wondering what would prompt this move.

Konig2540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Konig2540

"However, combining all of these into one fluid experience is only possible on technologically advanced platforms."

So, PC only?

BOOM!

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AuthenticM

If those versions played like shit, this is for the best.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By monkeyking1969

Momma said, "Dyin' was a part of life" an she said "Don't say nothin' if you have nothin' nice to say."

Momma's pretty smart and Techland is a pretty crappy company...whoops I said it! Sorry momma! Oh well, they are pretty darn bad at making games; so maybe this is just for the best for everyone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
    deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that seems BS-y; it's coming out in 3 months, that's not enough time to undo the "damage" the previous consoles seemly have caused to the current-gen versions of the game. It's in Techland's best interest to sell more copies to make more money, which makes me think there was some sort of financial incentive to keep the game exclusive to new boxes. Is it possible both MS and Sony ponied up some cash? Maybe preferential treatment? I'm making it sound like some sort of conspiracy, which it's not - Dying Light doesn't warrant that much attention. Just wondering what would prompt this move.

Follow the money.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have any problem with this. Focus on current gen so you can make the game the best it can be. Last gen needs to be put out to pasture.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@kuplamuovi: Yeah, specifically for those 40-60% of steam users that run on intel integrated graphics chipsets.

Uberjannie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for them. Let the old consoles die. They have suffered long enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

@conrad148 said:

Agreed.

But I don't own any of the new consoles :(

Uberjannie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kuplamuovi: Yeah, specifically for those 40-60% of steam users that run on intel integrated graphics chipsets.

Nope:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By whitegreyblack

My guess is that the last-gen versions flat-out didn't work, so they cut their losses.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

to be honest i didn't even know it was coming out for previous gen.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wish more studios would do this.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am completely OK with this.

Cross-gen needs to go

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By spraynardtatum

The game looks beautiful so far.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

Good.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good on them!

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@legion_ said:

@rossi_g said:

Sounds more like a marketing thing to say to me. Who would even say "We know this thing could do better but we haven't figured out how to really do that yet"? Consoles were pushed to the max on the early games of the last generation. Those games look like garbage compared to what those systems were putting out then. Maybe this generation won't have as big of a gap from beginning to end but there's still room to grow.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

On PC. Fine by me.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By mbradley1992

@legion_ said:

@rossi_g said:

Gears of War and Project Gotham Racing 4 were supposed to push "the limits" of the 360. Then Red Dead Redemption was supposed to be the limit. Then Halo 4, Battlefield 3, and Far Cry 3 all came out and blew those games away. You are right in that we are one year in. I don't think they're looking weaker, though. I just don't see anyone who has figured them out. Infamous looked good. So did Forza Horizon 2. Next year is when we start really getting games that have been developed for these consoles solely and over a long time frame. Expecting them to be already showing their huge potential at this point is unfair, especially when the PS4 hasn't had much this year outside of indie stuff to really show it off.

Shadow of Mordor can't run the Nemesis system on 360/PS3, so that alone points to things they can do better with this hardware. Brad said at one point that he doesn't think we should expect realism graphically, but rather improved AI and mechanical improvements.

Good on Techland for being the first company to say "Goodbye" to the old consoles. This is how we get process. This year is just like 2006, with tons of ports and cross-gen releases. Rocksteady and Techland are breaking us out of that, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.