Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dynasty Warriors 7

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 29, 2011

The feudal Chinese factions of Wu, Shu, and Wei (along with the new Jin Kingdom) return for another installment of tactical action and K.O. counts into the thousands!

I'm really impressed by DW7.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By kingzetta

I own every Koei warriors game there is, except the Troy one. After 10 hours with DW7 I think this is my favorite. It looks graphically fantastic, seeing Xu Zhu's massive gut rendered with such detail is actually pretty haunting. The cutscenes are easily the best in the series. For the first time ever I feel DW has a solid story with narrative. I'm also impressed by how the cutscenes go into gameplay without loading or even fading in and out. Rendu is dead thank you Koei and thank you god. The gloves are my favorite new weapon in the game, they sorta remind me of godhand in their ridiculousness. So after like 30 koei warriors games I'm still happy to support Koei.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kingzetta

I own every Koei warriors game there is, except the Troy one. After 10 hours with DW7 I think this is my favorite. It looks graphically fantastic, seeing Xu Zhu's massive gut rendered with such detail is actually pretty haunting. The cutscenes are easily the best in the series. For the first time ever I feel DW has a solid story with narrative. I'm also impressed by how the cutscenes go into gameplay without loading or even fading in and out. Rendu is dead thank you Koei and thank you god. The gloves are my favorite new weapon in the game, they sorta remind me of godhand in their ridiculousness. So after like 30 koei warriors games I'm still happy to support Koei.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Kyle
    @kingzetta said:

" Well I suppose no one careing is better than a bunch of people saying "Dynasty Warriors sucks wahhh" "

Dynasty Warriors sucks wahhh
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#3  Edited By StarvingGamer

I love me some Dynasty Warriors but in a time of tightening budgets I can't justify buying another one. 

Glad to hear it's good though :D Maybe when it hits the bargain bin I'll check it out.

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

well thats encouraging to hear. i loved dynasty warriors beck in my ps2 days. cant really drop the 60 on this one, but i'll wait for when the price goes down

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @kingzetta said:
    " Well I suppose no one careing is better than a bunch of people saying "Dynasty Warriors sucks wahhh" "
    Don't worry, I think the staff had you covered on that front on the last Bombcast.

I need to pick DW7 up ASAP.  I've really liked what I've heard about that game, and given how they'd really been making changes to the formula in different formats with Troy and Samurai Warriors Chronicles, I'm more interested than ever.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I think it's pretty impressive that you got three sentences in a row to have the length physical length.  

And yeah, it's cool that this game is good. I guess. 

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Seesic

I've heard a lot of good things about it so far. I like the series but haven't bought one since DW4, just rented them. But i think i might pick this one up.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ch13696

I liked Dynasty Warriors, but after they started releasing one after the other with the same story, it just gets repetitive. Maybe I'll check this one out.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlightConfuse

might give it a try  the last one i play was gundam and before that its was 5 i think. 

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that this is the best Dynasty Warriors since 3. 

I just finished the Shu campaign, and I nearly wept manly tears. : p

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " Well I suppose no one careing is better than a bunch of people saying "Dynasty Warriors sucks wahhh" "
    Don't worry, I think the staff had you covered on that front on the last Bombcast. "
    Do you EVER have anything positive to say about people who criticize Japanese games?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hailinel

Just to give everyone an idea of what to expect:

• The maligned renbu combat system from DW6 is out.
    • All characters now wield two weapons.
    • Stories are not character focused, but kingdom focused.  The character you play as is dependent on the stage, and character lifespans are appropriate (so no starting off at the Yellow Turban Rebellion and magically being around for every significant battle of the next eighty years).
    • There is now a fourth kingdom, Jin (the kingdom that rose from the three kingdoms at the end of the era) with its own story and characters.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    Don't worry, I think the staff had you covered on that front on the last Bombcast. "
    Do you EVER have anything positive to say about people who criticize Japanese games? "
    Did you listen to the Bombcast?
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kingzetta
    @Hailinel said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    Don't worry, I think the staff had you covered on that front on the last Bombcast.  I need to pick DW7 up ASAP.  I've really liked what I've heard about that game, and given how they'd really been making changes to the formula in different formats with Troy and Samurai Warriors Chronicles, I'm more interested than ever. "
    I actually just realized they got rid of the pre-battle map screen.  That helps the flow immensely. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hailinel
    @kingzetta said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    Don't worry, I think the staff had you covered on that front on the last Bombcast.  I need to pick DW7 up ASAP.  I've really liked what I've heard about that game, and given how they'd really been making changes to the formula in different formats with Troy and Samurai Warriors Chronicles, I'm more interested than ever. "
    I actually just realized they got rid of the pre-battle map screen.  That helps the flow immensely.  "
    They still have the pre-battle map briefing in SW Chronicles, though that's really welcome given that you're constantly switching between up to four characters on the battlefield.  It's nice to know where everyone is at the stage's start.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kingzetta
    @TheBlackPigeon said:
    " I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that this is the best Dynasty Warriors since 3.   I just finished the Shu campaign, and I nearly wept manly tears. : p "
    Yeah that final scene is nuts.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By keyhunter
    @Kyle said:
    " Dynasty Warriors sucks wahhh "
    EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By EmuLeader

Dynasty Warriors has always been a guilty pleasure for me.  I know its pretty repetitive, but seeing thousands of troops fall before my crazy powerful warlord is still fun. especially with a friend, working together to clear all of the encampments.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By donchipotle

I love Dynasty Warriors. I'm not even gonna call it a guilty pleasure. I genuinely love that series, as crazy as it is. And DW7 is the best one. It is fantastic. I was worried about the Kingdom specific story, but god damn it is great. I've gone for 7 hours and I'm still on the first story and haven;t even touched Conquest mode. Game is fantastic.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SlightConfuse
    @EmuLeader: yea i enjoy destroying large armies with my power. I find it good in burstS(also i am sucker for samurai) 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho
    @ch13696 said:
    " I liked Dynasty Warriors, but after they started releasing one after the other with the same story, it just gets repetitive. Maybe I'll check this one out. "
    It is an it isn't. Its a rendition of 3 Kingdoms that manages to get more and more distorted with every game. But also, they pushed a generation ahead in the story. So there's a bit of new story stuff. But you play this cus the cutscenes are bonkers and for the general catharsis one feels after killing a thousand soldiers. 
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    " @President_Barackbar said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    Do you EVER have anything positive to say about people who criticize Japanese games? "
    Did you listen to the Bombcast? "
    Of course I did. The guys have written off this new DW game because of the horrible showing the series has made in the past. And someone has yet to give a reason for why this game is better than previous outings. It just seems like any time anyone says anything negative about a product of Japan (not just this one), you get overly defensive and start attacking Western games or make some sort of snide remark about games people like.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hailinel
    @President_Barackbar:  What does my comment regarding the staff's dismissive view of the game have to do with your taking umbrage with what I think about Japanese games in general?
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    " @President_Barackbar:  What does my comment regarding the staff's dismissive view of the game have to do with your taking umbrage with what I think about Japanese games in general? "
    I just felt that they had a pretty legitimate and fair reaction to a series that by and large has done little to improve over the years and noticed that your particular denouncement of what the staff did follows a larger pattern of you being heavily critical of anyone who finds fault with Japanese games.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hailinel
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @President_Barackbar:  What does my comment regarding the staff's dismissive view of the game have to do with your taking umbrage with what I think about Japanese games in general? "
    I just felt that they had a pretty legitimate and fair reaction to a series that by and large has done little to improve over the years and noticed that your particular denouncement of what the staff did follows a larger pattern of you being heavily critical of anyone who finds fault with Japanese games. "
    When was the last time that any of those guys actually sat down and tried to play one of the games in a non-joking manner for any significant duration of time?  They're about as qualified to pass judgment on Dynasty Warriors 7 as I am on Halo: Reach.  (i.e.: Not very.)  So don't try turning this debate into something that it's not.  If you want to talk about that, save it for another thread where it's more appropriate.
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel:  Fair enough, I just think that there's plenty of room to be skeptical about a series as repetitive as Dynasty Warriors.
    StrawHatLaw13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By StrawHatLaw13

Cool, can't wait to get mine from Gamefly,.  Those types of games, for me at least, were mostly only worth a rental, not $50-$60.  But from what I've heard this one seems to have somewhat more substance as a sequel. 

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By McGhee

Been a long time since I played a game like this. This one seems similar but better. What do you Dynasty Warriors fans think of this? 

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Skald
    " @Hailinel:  Fair enough, I just think that there's plenty of room to be skeptical about a series as repetitive as Dynasty Warriors. "
    I think that's pretty fair. I dismissed Saw 3D out of hand because I disliked the first six or so movies. 

Sometimes it's just fair to hate a franchise.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " Been a long time since I played a game like this. This one seems similar but better. What do you Dynasty Warriors fans think of this? 

"
    KUF is a different kind of game. Its more like Kessen 3 or Bladestorm (other Koei games). The dark elf was the only character that was fun to play in the first KUF I thought. What they do have in common is you can play through the same story through different perspectives, but unit deployment and management in KUF makes the game entirely different.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Slaker117

I feel like the continuing success of this series is the result of some sort of glitch in the human mind. I don't mean to insult the people who enjoy the games, you have the right to like whatever you want for whatever reason, and I'm not going to make a quality judgment because I haven't played one in years. It just surprises me that these games still get made in the modern era.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By MisterMouse

I have to admit that the samurai warriors is a guilty pleasure of mine, but It is cool to see some positive talk about this game!

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kingzetta
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

" Been a long time since I played a game like this. This one seems similar but better. What do you Dynasty Warriors fans think of this? 

"
    I liked that game and ninety-nine nights
    Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ninja
    @TheBlackPigeon said:
    " I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that this is the best Dynasty Warriors since 3.   I just finished the Shu campaign, and I nearly wept manly tears. : p "
    Really? If so that's awesome, 3 is the best, it's actually one of my favourite games. I mean it didn't get bad reviews at the time it's just reviers have become jaded with two 'warriors' releases a year.
    TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheBlackPigeon
    @Ninja: Zhao Yun drop kicks a horse in the intro, so you know Koei is getting serious this time!  XD
    Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ninja
    @TheBlackPigeon:  That's pretty serious. I know nothing will ever feel like the yellow turban rebellion and hu lao gate the first time. The music in DW3 was so good too, I guess since it was my frist, getting to know the characters was cool too. Nothing can beat your first time right? I'm glad DW7 sounds better though, DW6 was a massive letdown.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thehexeditor
    @TheBlackPigeon said:
    " @Ninja: Zhao Yun drop kicks a horse in the intro, so you know Koei is getting serious this time!  XD "
    @TheBlackPigeon said:
    " @Ninja: Zhao Yun drop kicks a horse in the intro "
    @TheBlackPigeon said:
    " drop kicks a horse"
    Okay, now i'm interested.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By TheHT

How are the move sets? Do all/most of the characters feel different?

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kingzetta
    @TheHT said:
    " How are the move sets? Do all/most of the characters feel different? "
    yes, cao cao is the subzero of the game
    InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By InternetCrab

Yeah, loving it so far.

Jalemar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jalemar
    @Guyzea: Zhang Jiao is bald now...lol
    M_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By M_33

I'm glad there's still love for this series. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.