Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 28, 2011

The third title in Koei's series of Dynasty Warriors-style gameplay set in the Gundam universe, boasting cel-shaded graphics and four-player online co-operative multiplayer.

A few questions about this game.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Akrid

The quick look got me interested in this game, but it wasn't exactly the most informative thing I've ever seen. So I've got a few questions that hopefully someone here has the answers for: 

• What's the deal with the charge attacks? Does it have a branching combo system like Samurai Warriors (square triangle for stun, square square triangle for juggle, etc.) or is it the regular Dynasty system? This iskey for me. That super dumb combo system has sapped any enjoyment I might have got out of the past 2 Dynasty Warriors games. The reason I even ask when it carries the Dynasty Warriors name is they were looking at upgrades for charge attacks 1,2,3,4 in the quick look. 
    • What's up with that relationship stuff? To what extent does it effect the game, and what do you gain from leveling up relationships?  
    • English/Japanese language options?
    • Interchangeable pilots and gundams seems odd. How does that play into things? Are all the combos inherited directly from the gundam or is the pilot a factor? Is this sort of like the "use whatever weapon you want" from that one Dynasty Warriors?
    • It seems like the pilot is the character, doing all the leveling up. Does interchangeable gundams mean that you'll only ever need to play as one character? I guess you'd have to buy all the licenses in order to truly do that.
    • Does each pilot have an individual campaign, or is it something different this time round?
    • Splitscreen co-op?
    • This game has online?! What the hell. That's cool, I guess.
    • Lastly, should I just save some dough and instead buy Gundam 2, or is this a decent improvement over it? I really like the art style overhaul for one.
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By coakroach
    @Akrid said:
    The quick look got me interested in this game

Yeah I know it looked like a huge pi- wait what?!
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Akrid
    @coakroach: Ha ha, what can I say. A lot of people hate Warriors games, but there are more than enough people like myself to keep them from stopping pumping them out.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By donchipotle
    @Akrid said:
    The quick look got me interested in this game, but it wasn't exactly the most informative thing I've ever seen. So I've got a few questions that hopefully someone here has the answers for: 

• What's the deal with the charge attacks? Does it have a branching combo system like Samurai Warriors (square triangle for stun, square square triangle for juggle, etc.) or is it the regular Dynasty system? This iskey for me. That super dumb combo system has sapped any enjoyment I might have got out of the past 2 Dynasty Warriors games. The reason I even ask when it carries the Dynasty Warriors name is they were looking at upgrades for charge attacks 1,2,3,4 in the quick look. 
    • What's up with that relationship stuff? To what extent does it effect the game, and what do you gain from leveling up relationships?  
    • English/Japanese language options?
    • Interchangeable pilots and gundams seems odd. How does that play into things? Are all the combos inherited directly from the gundam or is the pilot a factor? Is this sort of like the "use whatever weapon you want" from that one Dynasty Warriors?
    • It seems like the pilot is the character, doing all the leveling up. Does interchangeable gundams mean that you'll only ever need to play as one character? I guess you'd have to buy all the licenses in order to truly do that.
    • Does each pilot have an individual campaign, or is it something different this time round?
    • Splitscreen co-op?
    • This game has online?! What the hell. That's cool, I guess.
    • Lastly, should I just save some dough and instead buy Gundam 2, or is this a decent improvement over it? I really like the art style overhaul for one.

• There are six normal attacks, five charge attacks, and then dash attacks and dash charge attacks. At any point in a combo you can dash attack and combo and continue to dash attack combo until you run out of thrust. X Y might not always stun. Each Mobile Suit has different attacks with different properties. There are also SP attacks, one on the ground and one in the air. 
    • Relationships are how you unlock pilots and also certain missions. For example, say you want to play as Haman. You would have to encounter her in the story, read her message, and get her up to level 3 so she becomes a playable pilot. Every playable character (and some NPCs) have 5 levels of friendship and it's easy to raise it up. 
    • Yes
    • The combos are tied directly to the level of the individual pilot. So if you have a level 25 Amuro piloting the Turn A Gundam it will have more attack options than a level 2 Loran piloting the Turn A Gundam. However you can purchase stat upgrades for Gundams so even a level 1 pilot can kill things effectively. Just not AS effectively. 
    • You will be forced to play as other characters in the story mode. You COULD just use one pilot, but until you get licenses you are locked into their default robot or one of the grunt robots. And if you are playing as someone who isn't a Newtype, you won't even be able to use some Gundams. Say you are using Duo. He won't be able to use the original Gundam until he gets to friend level 5. You unlock licenses by using a Gundam 5 times. 
    • The pilots are split into factions. It starts off with four different campaigns. When you beat those four everyone is split into two campaigns that are basically 'good guys campaign' and 'bad guys campaign'. 
    • Not that I am aware of
    • Yes it does, as did DWG2
    • Don't get DWG2. It is the worst of the DWG series.
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Akrid
    @VelvetLore04: Great! Those are basically all the answers I was hoping for. Thanks very much! 

You might want to apply your knowledge to the wiki page, if you have the time. The internet seems to lack information about this game.
    leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By leebmx

I am not really interested in this game but I have to say I thought the quick look was very poor. Neither of them really seemed to know anything about the game and just took the piss for 20mins. If you were into the series I doubt whether it would have been very illuminating.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

Hit X a lot and go, don't ask questions.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Akrid
    @leebmx: Yep, it was completely useless, but I understand their attitude towards the game. DW6 and 7 were really one button games, but 3-5 and the Samurai Warrior series are most definitely not. The combos are still super simplistic, but in the past for me that's just meant I'm able to play with friends and family who don't usually play games. Just enough depth for me to get into, just enough fun for anyone to jump in.

I was happy to see that Jeff seemed genuinely enthused at the prospect of another button to press, because these games are really nice and mindless fun as long as you're playing the right version. They always say those games don't change, which is absolutely true to a large extent. But if they don't, how come one version will be great and the next one will suck? 
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By ricetopher

While I have no interest in the game all I want to know is if they ever recreate this from G Gundam:

Used to get me so hype back in the day when Toonami aired G Gundam.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Akrid
    @ricetopher: isn't that the rather racist G-Gundam?        

Yeah, they don't cover that series in the games.... 

Edit2: Actually, this is a way better video. 

Edit3: Took Edit1 out.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Turambar
    @ricetopher: Its already been done.  Any Super Robot Wars or Gundam G Generations with G Gundam has it.

cryptic_code

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cryptic_code

Yes this game does have split screen co-op and it's much more enjoyable when playing with a friend. I haven't tried the online mode though but it does have 4 player co-op online.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Turambar
    @cryptic_code said:
    Yes this game does have split screen co-op and it's much more enjoyable when playing with a friend. I haven't tried the online mode though but it does have 4 player co-op online.
    The 4 player co-op online uses 15 existing stages.  The stages are different from the ones in single player as they are more boss-rush like.  There are no waves of spawning enemies, and no special fields.  Instead you have a bunch of plain fields each with a few aces in them that you need to kill.  Stage difficulties increase depending on the rank of the person who's hosting.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By donchipotle

@EpicSteve said:

Yeah sure if you want to get killed by a damn Zaku.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I miss good Gundam games set in Australia. I miss my Dreamcast. :/

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    @EpicSteve said:

That is a terrible way to play these games.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Turambar
    @SeriouslyNow said:

Man, Australia is always either occupied by space nazis, fake space nazis, or has colony dropped on it.  I guess what I'm saying is, fuck Australia.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Turambar
    @Akrid: Actually God Gundam is totally in the game, though I find the God Finger sp attack to be rather unspectacular.
    cryptic_code

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cryptic_code
    @Make_Me_Mad said:

@EpicSteve said:

Sometimes you get to press triangle and circle.  

@Turambar said:
    @Akrid: Actually God Gundam is totally in the game, though I find the God Finger sp attack to be rather unspectacular.
    I find that the pure melee gundams are pretty powerful in this game especially with the right upgrades.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel

@EpicSteve said:

I must break you.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Turambar said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

Man, Australia is always either occupied by space nazis, fake space nazis, or has colony dropped on it. I guess what I'm saying is, fuck Australia.

You're just sore because has a consistent starring role in Gundam stories, sorry good Gundam stories and games.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By shirogane
    @Make_Me_Mad said:

@EpicSteve said:

I know, all it makes you do is jump on the spot.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Turambar
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@Turambar said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

Man, Australia is always either occupied by space nazis, fake space nazis, or has colony dropped on it. I guess what I'm saying is, fuck Australia.

You're just sore because has a consistent starring role in Gundam stories, sorry good Gundam stories and games.

But it starred in both Gundam Seed shows.  BOTH.
    mrangryface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By mrangryface

Most of the new gundams are OP- Unicorn, 00, and Reborn all have enhanced modes (i.e. trans am) after their musou attack which increases their speed and thrust potential like crazy- so basically you bounce from zone to zone chaining charge/dash attacks to get your gauge up before the musou enhancement wears off and bam- musou gauge is full one level. I dont BELIEVE the duration of the enhanced mode following the musou attack differs between the level of musou gauge used. Honestly to balance these suits they should have made it impossible to charge to musou meter until the enhanced mode wears off.

Then again who's playing this online? I tried with the import and it was hungry hungry hippos- lets all kill steal. If its broken single player it doesnt really matter- and honestly I like having some OP mechanics at my back when all of the aces decide to spawn inside the zone im locked into with a giant mobile suit.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Turambar
    @mrangryface said:

Most of the new gundams are OP- Unicorn, 00, and Reborn all have enhanced modes (i.e. trans am) after their musou attack which increases their speed and thrust potential like crazy- so basically you bounce from zone to zone chaining charge/dash attacks to get your gauge up before the musou enhancement wears off and bam- musou gauge is full one level. I dont BELIEVE the duration of the enhanced mode following the musou attack differs between the level of musou gauge used. Honestly to balance these suits they should have made it impossible to charge to musou meter until the enhanced mode wears off.

Then again who's playing this online? I tried with the import and it was hungry hungry hippos- lets all kill steal. If its broken single player it doesnt really matter- and honestly I like having some OP mechanics at my back when all of the aces decide to spawn inside the zone im locked into with a giant mobile suit.

I don't really think balance is an issue the developers cared about when the Acguy is in the same game as the Gundam DX.
    mrangryface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By mrangryface

and to give credit where credit is due- the new and far more interesting movesets for the general production mobile suits is a welcome change.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.