Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2009

Concept »

The 2009 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 2-4.

Double Standards in the Games Press?

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

Edited By DrRandle

Or Maybe I'm Just Crazy?

This E3 has brought one thing to my attention that I just can't let go. I don't know why, but I have to vent and maybe somebody out there can help me figure out what's going on in my head. Are the people in the "games media" giving the games out there a fair shake?

I don't really know where to begin so I guess I'll just come out with the sort of biggest thing on my mind: why is everybody just writing off Nintendo games right now? After this E3 all I hear is how great Sony and Microsoft are doing, but nobody seems to be talking about the Nintendo Consoles. And here's the thing, I'm not just talking about Mario and Zelda, I'm talking all of the showings from developers like High Voltage, Climax, and even big wigs like EA and Ubisoft. The only things people seem to be interested in are the big-budget spectacles of the other two consoles, and that's fine, that's understandable, that's great. I'm excited, too. But I'm ALSO excited for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, New Super Mario Bros Wii (though I do loathe that title), and Red Steel 2. Yet I never hear anything about the ambition of these titles.

I am aware that Climax had a big showing of the new Silent Hill, because IGN has something like a 15 minute walkthrough of the game posted on their site. So somebody else had to have seen it, right? But why am I not hearing about it? That title sounds hell-of ambitious, but it's being shadowed by sequel after sequel. People keep talking about how great Modern Warfare 2 is, and sure that's fine, but it's still just more Modern Warfare. I'm never one to complain about more of the same (because hell, I really want Mario Galaxy 2, and would be a flaming hypocrit to say otherwise), but am I asking to much to at least have discussions for new games? Scribblenauts was at E3. Have you heard of it? Not likely unless you listen to IGN's Nintendo Podcasts or maybe caught this little article burried deep within the trenches of G4's The Feed, where it was called the sleeper hit of 2009. Okay so one person recognized it and is claiming that it's one of the most original, ambitious titles this year. So why is nobody else in the games media, the very people who are supposed to be bringing us these kinds of features, talking about it? Instead it's just article and podcast over and over about how great the new God of War looks. (Here's a hint: It promises to be God of Warrier than the first.) I'm not saying they're wrong for being excited for God of War, just because I'm not. That's fine, that's their thing. But you can NOT deny the ambitious titles and the inventive titles just because they don't have the budget of the nextUncharted. I know not every outlet can catch this, but if I have to go digging around the netscape to find articles on the titles I'm interested in, and that I think deserve a broader look... Well I just feel like something's wrong there. But I understand where the personal bias could be an issue.

It just seems, as I've stated but will do so here to signify wrapping up, that the bigger budget sequels that are easy to get excited about are always the stories plastered on the front page. Even when people do pay attention to Nintendo consoles, who I still feel get very much snubbed by the gaming media as a whole and with a grotesque amount of unfairness, all they tend to focus on is the Mario's and the Metroid's. Meanwhile new games like The Grinder get swept on by and lost in the torrential force of the "main stream." And if we can't count on our press of choice to do so effeciently... and maybe this is me looking into a much more grim and exagerated future... but why would people make new games only to see them underperform and get lost because they didn't have 15 million bones to throw their game's boxart onto subway cars?

So yeah, I'll admit it, this stems mostly from Nintendo getting snubbed on all my E3 wrap up coverage accross the board, but it's not just them it's all the games that try so hard to squeeze onto the smaller consoles. I don't even want to get into the argument about me not thinking that God of War is at all a decent series, or why I think New Super Mario Bros. Wii (bad name withstanding) is one of the most exciting titles for me, personally. So that's not what I want to hear from people on the comments. No, I am not a fanboy. I'm just a fan of video games who thinks that some of the more exciting games are getting left behind in the virtual dust, and I don't want to hear any of those comments either. I'll save you the trouble: You're wrong about that. Moving in?

I'd love to hear any rational, thought out comments you people have. Maybe show me that I'm just missing something, or maybe help me to understand that while on to something, I'm not quite on the right track? Or even agree with me, that'd be nice. God knows that happens like once a month, if that. It's nice to feel right now and again, you know?

-Make it a good one.
    Randy "Dr. Randle" Marr

PS: While I have you here, if you're one of those people that's pissed off about Left 4 Dead 2 (another title I don't much care for), can you do me a favor and go dance in traffic? I'd really like to never have to hear about how you're not going to buy the new Left 4 Dead because "the color pallete is to bright." You're an idiot and an embarassment to logic. Thanks.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DrRandle

Or Maybe I'm Just Crazy?

This E3 has brought one thing to my attention that I just can't let go. I don't know why, but I have to vent and maybe somebody out there can help me figure out what's going on in my head. Are the people in the "games media" giving the games out there a fair shake?

I don't really know where to begin so I guess I'll just come out with the sort of biggest thing on my mind: why is everybody just writing off Nintendo games right now? After this E3 all I hear is how great Sony and Microsoft are doing, but nobody seems to be talking about the Nintendo Consoles. And here's the thing, I'm not just talking about Mario and Zelda, I'm talking all of the showings from developers like High Voltage, Climax, and even big wigs like EA and Ubisoft. The only things people seem to be interested in are the big-budget spectacles of the other two consoles, and that's fine, that's understandable, that's great. I'm excited, too. But I'm ALSO excited for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, New Super Mario Bros Wii (though I do loathe that title), and Red Steel 2. Yet I never hear anything about the ambition of these titles.

I am aware that Climax had a big showing of the new Silent Hill, because IGN has something like a 15 minute walkthrough of the game posted on their site. So somebody else had to have seen it, right? But why am I not hearing about it? That title sounds hell-of ambitious, but it's being shadowed by sequel after sequel. People keep talking about how great Modern Warfare 2 is, and sure that's fine, but it's still just more Modern Warfare. I'm never one to complain about more of the same (because hell, I really want Mario Galaxy 2, and would be a flaming hypocrit to say otherwise), but am I asking to much to at least have discussions for new games? Scribblenauts was at E3. Have you heard of it? Not likely unless you listen to IGN's Nintendo Podcasts or maybe caught this little article burried deep within the trenches of G4's The Feed, where it was called the sleeper hit of 2009. Okay so one person recognized it and is claiming that it's one of the most original, ambitious titles this year. So why is nobody else in the games media, the very people who are supposed to be bringing us these kinds of features, talking about it? Instead it's just article and podcast over and over about how great the new God of War looks. (Here's a hint: It promises to be God of Warrier than the first.) I'm not saying they're wrong for being excited for God of War, just because I'm not. That's fine, that's their thing. But you can NOT deny the ambitious titles and the inventive titles just because they don't have the budget of the nextUncharted. I know not every outlet can catch this, but if I have to go digging around the netscape to find articles on the titles I'm interested in, and that I think deserve a broader look... Well I just feel like something's wrong there. But I understand where the personal bias could be an issue.

It just seems, as I've stated but will do so here to signify wrapping up, that the bigger budget sequels that are easy to get excited about are always the stories plastered on the front page. Even when people do pay attention to Nintendo consoles, who I still feel get very much snubbed by the gaming media as a whole and with a grotesque amount of unfairness, all they tend to focus on is the Mario's and the Metroid's. Meanwhile new games like The Grinder get swept on by and lost in the torrential force of the "main stream." And if we can't count on our press of choice to do so effeciently... and maybe this is me looking into a much more grim and exagerated future... but why would people make new games only to see them underperform and get lost because they didn't have 15 million bones to throw their game's boxart onto subway cars?

So yeah, I'll admit it, this stems mostly from Nintendo getting snubbed on all my E3 wrap up coverage accross the board, but it's not just them it's all the games that try so hard to squeeze onto the smaller consoles. I don't even want to get into the argument about me not thinking that God of War is at all a decent series, or why I think New Super Mario Bros. Wii (bad name withstanding) is one of the most exciting titles for me, personally. So that's not what I want to hear from people on the comments. No, I am not a fanboy. I'm just a fan of video games who thinks that some of the more exciting games are getting left behind in the virtual dust, and I don't want to hear any of those comments either. I'll save you the trouble: You're wrong about that. Moving in?

I'd love to hear any rational, thought out comments you people have. Maybe show me that I'm just missing something, or maybe help me to understand that while on to something, I'm not quite on the right track? Or even agree with me, that'd be nice. God knows that happens like once a month, if that. It's nice to feel right now and again, you know?

-Make it a good one.
    Randy "Dr. Randle" Marr

PS: While I have you here, if you're one of those people that's pissed off about Left 4 Dead 2 (another title I don't much care for), can you do me a favor and go dance in traffic? I'd really like to never have to hear about how you're not going to buy the new Left 4 Dead because "the color pallete is to bright." You're an idiot and an embarassment to logic. Thanks.
    TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By TheKidNixon

On the whole, I kind of agree; I think a lot of the enthusiast press decided in the past year or so that Nintendo more or less failed to deliver the products that the people who follow them are interested in, having moved onto the more mainstream consumer. However, a lot of developers really are making neat things for the Wii. Yet the only place I've seen give Nintendo any due props was 1Up: between Jeremy's "What more can Nintendo do for you people?" blog post and the generally positive reviews and buzz that was given on Listen Up, though that was buried in the background of talk of Uncharted 2 and Modern Warfare 2.

Yes, it is probably unfair, but the general perception within industry followers appears to be one of "Nintendo isn't for us anymore." And it is easy to see how they came to the conclusion; by their industry actions, Nintendo more or less said "You're far less important to us than you ever have been." It is a bit of a mind-twist to see "core" games becoming niche on the console that is selling like wildfire still considering the recession/depression/economic collapse. So really, the reason that the enthusiast press stopped covering Nintendo in the same depth is because Nintendo really moved on to a cuter girlfriend.

As far as your PS...um, alright. Seems kinda random, and I think there are some larger issues to L4D2 than just the change to daytime, but have at your opinion.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

Wii owners around here have attempted to discuss this before, but really, since the site doesn't try to cater to the Wii owners (yet pretends it does by having the proper sections and what not), of course the majority of the community here own or prefer other platforms and will therefor tear you a new one. Enjoy. I wouldn't be around either if it wasn't for the forums, the website does nothing for any of the platforms I own (PC & Wii).

Just be glad you get the occasional review of a decent title alongside all the trash talk about how there are no games other than casual shovelware. Thankfully there are a couple of fansites out there that do a good job of covering news (though it does make you feel dirty to visit fansites, but hey, you're forced to), and the video based websites don't make such distinctions so you can find the stuff you want. IGN had great coverage this year, even before E3, but there's not much buzz elsewhere. I get more news from NeoGAF, lol.

My biggest gripe is the lack of Motion Plus and Wii Sports Resort coverage, as that's the biggest showcase for it currently. There are barely any videos around, and the videos there are stupidly focus on just the screen so you can't see how well the motions are followed. Only Destructoid had a decent article about it, and IGN a couple of nice but not ideal videos. Sad, considering it's tech people can get as soon as next week...

Among the titles you mentioned you should also check out The Crystal Bearers, it had a great showing too, and was mentioned in the Nintendo conference, but few decided to go hands-on with it even though it was playable. You'll find me and a few others have made threads about many of these and other titles but really, if they're not on the main site, they don't get much exposure at all, and only the few "usual suspects" respond.

PS: Good to see you also own a PC (judging by the L4D2 reference) so all the "Wii-only-owning-fanboy-retard" comments will look stupid.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DrRandle

Okay... so at least I'm not alone on this.. That's good to know. Although bad at the same time because it means I'm right. I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it. I'll keep looking up games on Nintendo systems as far and wide as I can to make sure good games don't slip on by me. Speaking of which if you missed the Wii Ware release of FFIV: The Later Years (as I call it), it's a really great game if you can appreciate the old sprite-based Final Fantasies, as I do.

And yes I do have play PC games. I enjoy them, as I enjoy games on all systems. All told I probably play at least 10 to 15 hours a week playing either L4D or Team Fortress 2 alone. But I don't know why I'm mentioning that. :/

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

I personally have seen more coverage of the upcoming Wii Silent Hill game than Modern Warfare 2.  It's all in your head.  There are some games getting almost no coverage, but it's probably their presence on the show floor (not even a SINGLE video of Perfect Dark XBLA for example).

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jayge_

You see what you want to see. I personally saw a lot of stuff about Red Steel 2, although that's because I went looking for it. Scribblenauts discussions and articles have also been popping up all over the place, if you pay attention to the right places. All in all, they may be good games, but nobody gives a shit about them or really wants to play them on the Wii (the DS is another story). That's all it comes down to. Is that fair to the Wii? No, not really. Do I care? Honestly, no. Is it a double standard? No? How would that be a double standard? People dislike playing games on the Wii as opposed to playing them on other systems, and many people who follow those people and enjoy reading their opinions share those opinions, so they are hypocrites or holders of a double standard? I don't get it.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DrRandle

My point is simply that, I feel, as a games enthusiast, it's my responsibility to find and enjoy as many games as possible. It's a need that I have, and I'll admit it's probably a crazy one. But then that makes it my opinion, so why does other people's opinions become valid and mine not? And I'm told that I only see what I want to see, but that's not entirely true because I'm looking pretty hard at everything. I'm not taking strict notes, no, but I think my years studying journalism and practices thereof have left me pretty capable of looking at things from an objective angle. I'm not saying Wii games are better one way or another, I'm saying there are games that are doing new and interesting things that aren't being looked at as much as other games, pure and simple.

Subjectively speaking, I think not looking at the Wii is due to a bias that most people have, and it's a stupid one that I think they need to get the fuck over.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

Most of the gaming press are interested in writing about GAMING...not mini-game collections.  Sure, they showed TRAILERS for Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros., and Metroid: Other M at the show.  What more can someone honestly write about it?  What, you want them to go on some 18-page article and say "ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG AWESOMESAWCE NINTENDO WOOT WOOT!".  Guess what?  The gaming press wants to write about what the readers want to read about...and the majority of the readers always talk about 360 and PS3 games.  There is a handful that ever seem to speak up and say "ooohhh, cover Nintendo plox, kthxbai".

So if the press doesn't "cover" what you want, then DIG!  Find it yourself.  Don't rely on someone to put shit on the front page for you at all times.  Plenty of sites do plenty of coverage for the Wii.  There just isn't usually anything worthy of being front page material from Nintendo.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_
    @DrRandle said:
    " My point is simply that, I feel, as a games enthusiast, it's my responsibility to find and enjoy as many games as possible. It's a need that I have, and I'll admit it's probably a crazy one. But then that makes it my opinion, so why does other people's opinions become valid and mine not? And I'm told that I only see what I want to see, but that's not entirely true because I'm looking pretty hard at everything. I'm not taking strict notes, no, but I think my years studying journalism and practices thereof have left me pretty capable of looking at things from an objective angle. I'm not saying Wii games are better one way or another, I'm saying there are games that are doing new and interesting things that aren't being looked at as much as other games, pure and simple.Subjectively speaking, I think not looking at the Wii is due to a bias that most people have, and it's a stupid one that I think they need to get the fuck over. "
    Like I said, you see what you want to see. I said it in my other post: nobody really wants to play games on the Wii. It was proven by Madworld, No More Heroes, and a host of other games decidedly designed to cater to the gaming mainstream (which some like to call the "core.") Does that make them biased and unable to view games or cover games as objectively as possible? No, it doesn't. It just means that people have preferences, preferences that you disagree with, and just because they have that preference doesn't mean that their coverage is necessarily worse.

GiantBomb and sites like it obviously won't cover the Wii as much, because a large majority of its members would rather see what they regard as more important things out of conferences like E3. That's an established fact; but that also has nothing to do with double standards. If you go to a site like NintendoFanboy or whatever they call it at Joystiq, you'll find a lot of Wii news. Go to the Wii section on IGN, and you'll find Bozon and Cassamassina jizzing in their pants over some random Mario spin-off every other week. There is plenty of Wii coverage available, you just have to find sites that cater to the Wii-liking demographic. I would guess that most of the places you are visiting don't fall under that category if you don't find what you want.
    godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By godzilla_sushi

Keep in mind it's a post-Wii Music world.....

And a lot of bad will toward Nintendo carried over from last year's E3.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DrRandle

You guys are just basically proving me right. Ignorance perceives the Wii as useless and ignorable and your attitudes towards the whole thing? Only showing that it's true. Well whatever, at this point I'm just going to laugh my way to the bank (so to speak, because I'm poor as hell) while I'm playing top-quality titles on all the systems. I suppose I should just let this all go and do what the games press does: not give a shit. I know I'm having fun, and god forbid I just wish other people could experience awesome games.

I'm only trying to help, but your hostile attitudes say it all. Thank you. Jerks.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

Warned you dude. Tear you a new one ;)

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jayge_
    @DrRandle said:
    " You guys are just basically proving me right. Ignorance perceives the Wii as useless and ignorable and your attitudes towards the whole thing? Only showing that it's true. Well whatever, at this point I'm just going to laugh my way to the bank (so to speak, because I'm poor as hell) while I'm playing top-quality titles on all the systems. I suppose I should just let this all go and do what the games press does: not give a shit. I know I'm having fun, and god forbid I just wish other people could experience awesome games.I'm only trying to help, but your hostile attitudes say it all. Thank you. Jerks. "
    Ignorance? Are you calling *me* ignorant? Are you really making that mistake again, for like the 4th time now Randle? Do you ever fucking learn? You're welcome, idiot.
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Alexander
    @DrRandle:
    I think you might find that to be the case more on this site considering how the main people behind it don't seem to play a lot of Wii, same goes for the users. But I think it would be wrong to say gaming press in general has been too critical, or hasn't covered enough of Nintendo. "Lack of coverage" translates to lack of games, and MS and Sony had more to offer. I mean for E3 they did more for "the fans" than some expected - two Marios, an announced Zelda game and Metroid. The gaming press has taken notice of this for the most part. As someone who isn't the Wii audience I have to say I was impressed with some of what Nintendo had to show. Likewise I've heard plenty of praise for Mario Bros., Silent Hill and Dead Space in particular.

But really, the Wii is a Gamecube with waggle and nothing Nintendo do is going to stop some people seeing it that way. You also have to consider, like someone mentioned, last years' E3 where Nintendo said "fuck you" to the hardcore audience. And while they might be doing Galaxy 2 etc., you contradict yourself when you say "it's just more Modern Warfare". Well Galaxy 2 is just another Galaxy, Mario Bros. is just another Mario Bros. and this is the first Zelda game made for the Wii. I think you'll forgive people when they're not too excited for Red Steel 2 after the first one.

And don't even start talking about big budgets with regard to Uncharted and GoW. Nintendo have the biggest budget of all three companies, if they can't put out something as spectacular as Uncharted then the problem is clearly the hardware (or sheer incompetence) which is a more fundamental issue. What differentiates the Wii from last-gen is the waggle and that alone, and I can't think of a single "hardcore" game on their platform that couldn't be worked for a standard controller. You look at Silent Hill and you say "the graphics look really good", but that's followed by "for a Wii game" with good reason. Mario Galaxy looked really pretty, but I would have rather played it in HD on current-gen hardware.

I haven't mentioned the DS and I have no interest in handheld gaming - but Scribblenaughts does seem quite awesome.

As for Left 4 Dead 2, I am angered by it because Valve said they would be supporting the first game, suggesting new campaign(s) and weapons, bringing comparisons to how they did with Team Fortres 2. Left 4 Dead 2 shits all over that and Valve's reputation for continued support in their titles. I don't get the problem with daylight, but surely you understand the issue I have even if you don't agree with it.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By KamasamaK

I've never heard of The Grinder, but I've heard/seen plenty of the other Wii stuff you mentioned and more.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By oldschool

I am not getting into a pointless argument Dr, but I will say that I agree and fully support your views.  The passive aggressive stuff you are seeing here is shared in the mainstream press.  It is all about demeaning and denigrating the Wii and Nintendo.  How can their be so many fans of Persona 3 & 4 here, yet they bag out the Wii as being crap and underpowered.  The Wii could eat Persona 4 and still have room for desert.  Double standards indeed.

I think in the end it comes down to not enjoying sharing their games habit with soccer mums and little girls.  It is a challenge to their manhood perhaps?  We will just continue looking around for our news.  Hey, the research can be a good journey  :-)
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Jeust
    @DrRandle: 

It's true what you said... But like every choice made, it is done by rational and irrational reasons.

The Wii is a top seller console, but not a gaming one, that was shown.

Many companies hesitate to bet on it because of it... 

And because the market wars are mostly between sony and microsoft, and as they invest more in games and publicity, the attention shifts from nintendo.

As most gamers are with sony and microsoft, and nintendo was late for core gamer market, most titles for the wii get snuffed in the process also.

Further down sony and microsoft are better spenders in publicity for their games in the gaming websites...

Nintendo is more trying to mantain it's current share of the market, and betting more in casual games and hardware, so the hard-core ones, if we can call them that, tend to left out to fend for themselves for the most part.

If they are promising they succeed in having some publicity, if not we may never hear of them.

Also there is a big reason why games are never heard though they have some deal of promise. It's because the lack of faith of the gaming journalists. If the game seems crappy, they are less likely to talk about it.

And the Grinder is still a year away... Some games get hyped a lot time before they launch, but generally tittles that appeal to most of the gamers, and likely to receive wide attention from the public. The Grinder, though it holds some promise it doesn't catch most of the core gaming audience as it is for the wii. So it is not likely you're gonna hear much about it for some time. 

But if it is nice, we will eventually hear about it.

Also, i may talk more from personal experience, but the nintendo games are generally for the same franchises that existed in the NES. So we can't be all that passionate about them. I've had my fair quota of Marios, Zeldas and Metroids.

The silent hill franchise is not nearly as appealing at it were some years ago (before the last two episodes), and the Origins was also made by Climax, so people arent all that impressed or holding hope for it, for the most part. And though it revolucionizes the gameplay, it's very similar to the other ones in the franchise. And it is also for the wii... do you see a padron here?

About Red Steel 2, the first one was nice, but not what was all hyped about. So there isnt as much promise as it could be for the title. Also as is for the wii it missed in a lot of the gaming crowd, so they are less inclined to hear about it.

Scribblenauts i've heard about, but never got much interest about it. And as there are a lot of more appealing games and news, some nice ones are taken out of the loop, and you hear very little about them. But you still hear...

That's what i think at least.
    zander1123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zander1123

Almost every gaming news outlet ( gamesradar, IGN, gamespot, USAtoday gaming, 1up, and joystiq)  all talked about golden sun DS and the new super mario brothers. Either on their podcast or through an article. Most of them also talked about scribblenats and MG2. Maybe those same "biased" news outlets didnt cover the game like the grinder cause they saw it and thought it was bad? I mean it is made by High Voltage and they were gettting alot of coverage for the conduit.
    The problem with the Wii isnt in the coverage. Its in the fact that 85% or more of their games are complete trash and have the word party in the title.

P.S. I played No More Heroes and loved it, MadWorld .....not so much

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By penguindust
    @DrRandle:

Well, let me assure you of one thing.  Scribblenauts is not being ignored in the slightest.  I listen to a lot of podcasts and all of them are talking at great length about it.  It is poised to become a huge game for the plucky little handheld.  Not since Brain Age have I heard this level of surprise and genuine enthusiasm for a DS title.  Joystiq, Kotaku, Eurogamer, destructoid, 1UP, Gamespot, and my personal favorite, this small blurb in the NeoGaf forums.

As to your other point, over the course of E3 a lot of games seem to fall through the cracks as the headliners barrel through catching all the press.  The Nintendo group as a whole may seem to be getting the shaft, but I'm not convinced.  I read or saw impressions on Red Steel, Super Mario World Wii and Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks .  I read an interview with the creative talent behind Metroid: Other M.  People in the blogosphere are talking about Golden Sun and Mario & Luigi 3.  Hell, in the "Day 3" episode of the Bombcast, Brad says Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was the most impressive thing he saw.

I know I haven't heard too much conversation on games like The Agency, Quantum, Blur, Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, and Shatter. There are other titles I'm not even sure if they were represented at the expo, because no site mentioned them.  Was Interstellar Marines or The Secret World's developers present?  I don't know.  What I am trying to illustrait is that why you may be more sensitive to Nintendo coverage, it is not just their titles who may be under-covered.  But, I am sure that over time, the game press will talk about these other games, too.  All the members of the game press have a huge amount to cover in a limited time under crowded conditions.  I'm sure they are all exhausted and will do what they can to make amends where needed.
    Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Insectecutor

Wii has an image problem. Nintendo's marketing department aimed it at old folks, soccer moms and babies. That doesn't mean the console is bad or that the games are bad (it has some of the most polished games of this generation), but it means the gaming community's perception is that it's not for us, and Nintendo just keeps enforcing that over and over again.

So it's not the press that's at fault, it's the community, and the community attitude is affected by the marketing decisions of Nintendo and its third parties. The only people who can sort this out is Nintendo, and they're quite happy exploiting the wide ocean of "MAYBE" and "NEVER" while Sony and - to a lesser extent - Microsoft play in the "ACTIVE" paddling pool.

Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Steven

I think Red Steel 2 looks pretty awful, mainly because of the poor use of motion plus (or at least that's what people have been saying about it).  But Brad seemed pretty up on Silent Hill and Jeff has been saying New Super Mario looks amazing.  I completely agree about Scribblenauts, that's my most anticipated game at the moment...but I've seen it get a fair amount of attention.  Joystiq said it was the game of the show for a lot of them (I dunno if it officially was or not though), and Kotaku and Destructoid have been saying it's awesome also.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DrRandle
    @Jayge: I'm sorry, and you are?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.