Criterion's Need For Speed Is In Hot Pursuit November 16th

• 122 results
Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

The long-awaited Need For Speed reboot has finally been revealed. Burnout developer Criterion announced Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit at the EA Press Conference at E3, taking on the name of one of the franchise's most beloved iterations (the Hot Pursuit games). Much like those earlier Hot Pursuit games (and Need For Speed: Most Wanted) Hot Pursuit looks to focus on the racers vs. police mechanic that defined those earlier games. placing players as both high speed racers and law-enforcing... enforcers, and pitting the two groups against each other. 

Alongside the racing action is what EA is calling the Auto-Log system, which seems to be an extension of the social media functions we're seeing so often in games of late. You'll be able to form online rivals, both as a cop and as a racer, and those rivalries will persist in the game's various online races and modes. 

Oh, and as you may have hoped... the crashes look pretty good.  

Here's the E3 trailer for Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit. 

Criterion's Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit will be out November 16th. Razor Callahan has not been confirmed for the game.

#1 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

The long-awaited Need For Speed reboot has finally been revealed. Burnout developer Criterion announced Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit at the EA Press Conference at E3, taking on the name of one of the franchise's most beloved iterations (the Hot Pursuit games). Much like those earlier Hot Pursuit games (and Need For Speed: Most Wanted) Hot Pursuit looks to focus on the racers vs. police mechanic that defined those earlier games. placing players as both high speed racers and law-enforcing... enforcers, and pitting the two groups against each other. 

Alongside the racing action is what EA is calling the Auto-Log system, which seems to be an extension of the social media functions we're seeing so often in games of late. You'll be able to form online rivals, both as a cop and as a racer, and those rivalries will persist in the game's various online races and modes. 

Oh, and as you may have hoped... the crashes look pretty good.  

Here's the E3 trailer for Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit. 

Criterion's Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit will be out November 16th. Razor Callahan has not been confirmed for the game.

#2 Edited by OroJackson (680 posts) -

nice
I am feeling the need, the need for speed

#3 Posted by Bouz (99 posts) -

So burnout paradise plus cops and robbers addon?

#4 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

YES!

#5 Posted by Sharpshooter (891 posts) -

Wasn't there already a Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit or am I just going senile? Wait why am I even asking in the comments when I can just search on this website.

#6 Posted by TullyAckland (237 posts) -

Heres hoping it goes well :o

#7 Posted by Finstern (643 posts) -

Hot pursuit was one of the only Need for speed games I actually liked

#8 Edited by MattyFTM (14434 posts) -

Wait, going back to the Hot Pursuit name, and returning to the police chase gameplay... That makes this a NosCon, right?

#9 Posted by Zarackus (36 posts) -

I haven't played a NFS game since Underground 2, maybe this will be a good chance to get back into it.

#10 Posted by JacDG (2131 posts) -

it looks awesome, the old hot pursuit games were amazing, and so is Criterion.

#11 Posted by BibleDoctor (698 posts) -

I played the first few for hours on end and I normally don't enjoy racing games too much, really excited about the mulitplayer.

#12 Posted by everjump (28 posts) -

fooking great!

#13 Posted by Kazona (3097 posts) -

According to Gamespot, Criterion actually approached EA to make a NFS game. And I'm glad they did.

#14 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

The instant I saw the trailer in motion, I knew immediately that it was a Hot Pursuit reboot.

#16 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -
@Sharpshooter said:
" Wasn't there already a Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit or am I just going senile? Wait why am I even asking in the comments when I can just search on this website. "
There was. I think this might be a reboot of the good Need for Speed games. I can't wait till this game comes out, but I'm going to need to rob a bank to get all the stuff I want this year. The Hot Pursuit games were the finest NFS experiences if you ask me. The racing was well executed and the police chases were OTT hilarity. I'd like Razor to return as well, because we could maybe see a continuation of Most Wanted's story that way or something. It'd be interesting to see if Razor did return if they made him an ally or enemy. I can't wait!
#17 Posted by Dedlok (35 posts) -

Don't usually have much interest in racing games, but a NFS reboot by the Burnout Developers may be interesting. I also remember playing the demo of the first Hot Pursuit on my PS2 over and over again so this might be a good match.

#18 Posted by Noremakk (147 posts) -

I haven't played a better racer/driving game than Burnout Paradise; hopefully Criterion can make an even better one this time around.

#19 Posted by yakov456 (1925 posts) -

The first news out of this thing that actually interests me, sweet! Hot Pursuit IS Need for Speed.

#20 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

awesome! I love the good ol' NFS.

#21 Posted by HallwayGiant (108 posts) -

Always looking forward to whats coming out of Criterion.

#22 Posted by Kolonel_Kool (332 posts) -

Hot Pursuit + Criterion = I want

#23 Posted by Impossibilium (687 posts) -
@Sharpshooter said:
" Wasn't there already a Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit or am I just going senile? Wait why am I even asking in the comments when I can just search on this website. "

Yeah there was. I loved that game on the PS2 - helicopters, spike strips, cop cars, good soundtrack ... I haven't seen this in motion yet but it looks like a remake. The locations look the same.

Is it?
#24 Posted by thwak (104 posts) -

I'm very happy to see another hot pursuit game in the need for speed franchise, I'm also very happy to see a ferrari cop car that shouldn't exist.

#25 Posted by cjo (16 posts) -

Absolutely cannot wait for this.

#26 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

YES YES YES FINALLY 
I've been waiting 7 fucking years  for another hot pursuit game

#27 Posted by DukesT3 (1945 posts) -

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? Awesome. I'm in!

#28 Posted by Milkman (17348 posts) -

Game looked great from what they showed. Excited.

#29 Posted by Jeffk38uk (719 posts) -

EA's press conference was pretty much full of Win. Awesome that they are returning to a classic, and its by criterian to boot.

#30 Posted by Daveyo520 (7009 posts) -

This game looks cool.

#31 Posted by mosespippy (4472 posts) -

The first 30 seconds of the EA press conference when they showed this game was infinitely more exciting than the Microsoft press conference.

#32 Posted by Terranova (605 posts) -

have to say i'm glad it's gone back to it's old roots I haven't played a NFS game since most wanted, it looks great and what they have shown so far criterion seem to have done a good job.   
#33 Edited by lhaymehr (203 posts) -

Looks really slick. I'd kill for day/night rain/snow.

#34 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

I hope this can jump start the NFS series.

#35 Posted by SeigoSaiga (10 posts) -

I just hope it isn't open world. 

#36 Posted by raddevon (437 posts) -

I hope this is more Burnout and less NFS.

#37 Posted by UncleGramps (31 posts) -

Looks pretty good, and with Criterion involved, this one is on my radar now.

#38 Posted by Hackjob135 (57 posts) -

fast cars are fast. I like when they're fast.

#39 Posted by notworksafe (8 posts) -

Finally! I've been waiting for another game from the Burnout team!

#40 Posted by Jimbo (10008 posts) -

I thought this looked great.  Presumably there will be an "Illegal Race + Interfering Cops" (Road Rash style) multiplayer mode, and presumably that will be awesome.

#41 Posted by DarwinFish (7 posts) -

I'm excited for just about any game Criterion makes hell Criterion could make cooking mama 3 and still be excited for it.

#42 Posted by masterpaperlink (1874 posts) -

Criterion, isn't there something else your working on?!?!

#43 Posted by Hexogen (766 posts) -

The short demo didn't blow me away or anything, but  it has potential. Most of my excitement for the game comes from the fact that Criterion is making it rather than anything I've actually seen of it (which of course is not much).

#44 Posted by Frawdder (8 posts) -

Very impressed with what I saw. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one. So far, great job to Criterion. 

#45 Posted by Insectecutor (1205 posts) -
@DarwinFish said:
" I'm excited for just about any game Criterion makes hell Criterion could make cooking mama 3 and still be excited for it. "
That would be amazing. Super slow-mo egg physics.
#46 Posted by iwatttfodiwwfa (8 posts) -

Never played a NFS game, and I've never wanted too, but (damn) I loved Burnout Paradise. Maybe this'll be the Need For Speed For Me.

#47 Posted by Death_Burnout (3800 posts) -

Huge Hot Pursuit fan...this is a perfect match for Criterion.

#48 Posted by acev (101 posts) -

This is soooooooo rad!

#49 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

I definitely want to see more.

#50 Posted by 19nazzy (64 posts) -

Game looks pretty awesome, can't wait to play it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.