Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2010

Concept »

The 2010 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 15-17.

Move and other motion controls

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By greennoodles

I dont want to make it sound like I am hating on Sony alone, Kinect disappointed me more, but did Move really "wow" everyone or is it just a vocal group of fanboys? To me it just looks like wii motion+ which is fine, but reading the forums makes it sound like I missed something. Is this really making people want to shell out the $80-$180 bucks for it?  

I don't want this to turn into the "it's better than Kinect" topic because I won't disagree, I just don't get how it suddenly is getting everyone excited about motion control again. 

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By FrankCanada97

It is more precise in that it can detect and measure depth. The Wii lacks this. I also think there is less lag between the motion and on screen action. Sony is also actually trying to get developers to make full use of Move and entice people who are not just casual gamers.

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By greennoodles
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    " It is more precise in that it can detect and measure depth. The Wii lacks this. I also think there is less lag between the motion and on screen action. Sony is also actually trying to get developers to make full use of Move and entice people who are not just casual gamers. "
    Ok, I still thought most gamers would rather just use a controller. If I am wrong then so be it, just most complaints about the wii were that people would rather use a controller than wave their arms or pretend its a gun.
    Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's not getting people excited about motion control, they're just saying that it's the best motion control, which it is from an objective point of view. I personally wouldn't pay that much for it but some people might because the games shown for it were actually pretty decent. 

Most gamers would still use a controller though, which is why I feel it's not a very wise move to try and cater to the hXc crowd with this stuff at all. However much the hXc may complain about motion controls not catering to them, even if it did they wouldn't care. They don't actually want motion controls to cater to them since they're just trying to find something to complain about. I feel Sony completely misinterpreted this fundamental law of the internet. Motion controls sell better with shovelware.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By FrankCanada97

@greennoodles: They probably do, although I think this was a result of the Wii being a more casual system and of the few "core" games that have been made on the Wii, most were poor in execution. I think Sony is trying to dispel the notion that motion control is primarily for casual players. I myself will wait to see what the developers will come up with in regards to Playstation Move.

Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda

whats wrong with you guys. how can you not be wanting an addon that lets you use the interface like in frign Minority Report!!??

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By greennoodles
    @Scrumdidlyumptious said:
    " It's not getting people excited about motion control, they're just saying that it's the best motion control, which it is from an objective point of view. I personally wouldn't pay that much for it but some people might because the games shown for it were actually pretty decent.  Most gamers would still use a controller though, which is why I feel it's not a very wise move to try and cater to the hXc crowd with this stuff at all. However much the hXc may complain about motion controls not catering to them, even if it did they wouldn't care. They don't actually want motion controls to cater to them since they're just trying to find something to complain about. I feel Sony completely misinterpreted this. Motion controls sell better with shovelware. "
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    "  @greennoodles: They probably do, although I think this was a result of the Wii being a more casual system and of the few "core" games that have been made on the Wii, most were poor in execution. I think Sony, is trying to dispel the notion that motion control is primarily for casual players. I myself will wait to see what the developers will come up with in regards to Playstation Move. "
    Thanks guys, personally I think the tech behind Kinect is far more interesting and am very disappointed in MS's more casual approach, but I do understand the notion. It will be interesting to see which one fares better considering their different approaches to marketing. I personally didn't get interested in any games shown for either device. 
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By gike987
    @PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
    " whats wrong with you guys. how can you not be wanting an addon that lets you use the interface like in frign Minority Report!!?? "
    Because cool interface controls are not worth $150. 
    willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By willylo
    @PNut_Buttr_Panda:  I remember last time the Move was shown, the operator did the same thing with the eye toy camera to work his way through the XMB.  Though, I detect some sarcasm behind your quote if so, :P, I'm not good at internet sarcasm :S.

Anyway, the Move performed as I expected it too, and as it should as a newer tech, but what really makes me want to get it, is Sony's support of it not just towards the casual but to the core audience on the system as well. Where Microsoft looked pretty much just to be gearing the Kinect towards the casual :S.
    greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By greennoodles
    @gike987 said:
    " @PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
    " whats wrong with you guys. how can you not be wanting an addon that lets you use the interface like in frign Minority Report!!?? "
    Because cool interface controls are not worth $150.  "
    To be fair, thats not an official price.
    kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kimbokasteniv

Well, the Move seems to be the first competent implementation of motion controls, and I do think that there may be a real portion of people who are getting excited about this. If Move actually works the way it appears to work, then it is something I can see myself being interested in.

PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @gike987: 
    Fix your sarcasm detector...
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @WillyLo: 
    it was sarcasm and no. i am NOT looking forward to the black shovelware  harbinger of sorrow that is Kinect.
    greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By greennoodles
    @PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
    " @WillyLo:  it was sarcasm and no. i am NOT looking forward to the black shovelware  harbinger of sorrow that is Kinect. "
    Do you think Move won't have it's fair share of shovelware?
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @greennoodles: 
    i dont own a ps3. so im not as concerned with the future of move. and yes it will have piles of it as well.
    Mourer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mourer

To expensive for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.