Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2010

Concept »

The 2010 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 15-17.

Playstation Move Launches September At $50-$100

• 151 results
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega

After a full segment of PlayStation Move demos at their E3 Press Conference--including the newly announced action-adventure game Sorcery and a demo of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11--Sony announced that their new controller would be out this Fall in the United States, Europe, and Japan. The Move controller will launch in Europe on September 14th and arrive in the States on September 19th. The Japanese launch of Move will be a month later than the other two territory's launches, on October 21st. All three launch dates are well ahead of the announced November 4th release date for Microsoft's motion controller Kinect

Under 50 bucks?!
     Under 50 bucks?!
    Sony also announced the final price of the PlayStation Move equipment. Move requires that PS3 owners have both a PlayStation Move controller and a PlayStation Eye camera (for the actual motion tracking of the controller). If you already own a PlayStation Eye, than all you need is the controller, which will retail for $50. However, the Move controller does not come with the Move Navigation controller (the wireless Nunchuk with the analog stick). The Navigation controller retails for $30.  

If you don't have a PlayStation Eye, you can most of the Move components together in the PlayStation Move Sports Champions bundle, which comes with the Move controller, the PlayStation Eye, and a copy of Sports Champions (the sports-themed minigame collection) all for $100 dollars. This bundle also doesn't appear to come with the Navigation controller.  

And if all of this PlayStation talk has convinced you  that now is the time to finally purchase a system for yourself, Sony will be offering a PlayStation 3 Move Bundle, which comes with the console, the Move controller, the Playstation Eye, and Sports Champions, all for a penny shy of $400. This bundle also does not appear to come with the Navigation controller.

This little guy is where Sony is going to
     This little guy is where Sony is going to "get you" with the price.

Those are the prices, folks. You'll be paying at least $50 dollars for the controller. I think not including the Navigation controller with the Move controller or the bundles seems to be a very strange oversight that could keep people from owning the controller (and, consequently, keep developers from making games that support the analog stick on the controller). But, then again, maybe Sony is assuming that people who are seeking out the PlayStation Move are savvy enough that they're going to actually look for and buy each individual component, rather than just buying a bundle nothing more. I'm not sure. I ain't no business man. 

But you folks are all business. So, what about you guys? Are you interested in purchasing Move after Sony's E3 conference today?
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattbodega

After a full segment of PlayStation Move demos at their E3 Press Conference--including the newly announced action-adventure game Sorcery and a demo of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11--Sony announced that their new controller would be out this Fall in the United States, Europe, and Japan. The Move controller will launch in Europe on September 14th and arrive in the States on September 19th. The Japanese launch of Move will be a month later than the other two territory's launches, on October 21st. All three launch dates are well ahead of the announced November 4th release date for Microsoft's motion controller Kinect

Under 50 bucks?!
     Under 50 bucks?!
    Sony also announced the final price of the PlayStation Move equipment. Move requires that PS3 owners have both a PlayStation Move controller and a PlayStation Eye camera (for the actual motion tracking of the controller). If you already own a PlayStation Eye, than all you need is the controller, which will retail for $50. However, the Move controller does not come with the Move Navigation controller (the wireless Nunchuk with the analog stick). The Navigation controller retails for $30.  

If you don't have a PlayStation Eye, you can most of the Move components together in the PlayStation Move Sports Champions bundle, which comes with the Move controller, the PlayStation Eye, and a copy of Sports Champions (the sports-themed minigame collection) all for $100 dollars. This bundle also doesn't appear to come with the Navigation controller.  

And if all of this PlayStation talk has convinced you  that now is the time to finally purchase a system for yourself, Sony will be offering a PlayStation 3 Move Bundle, which comes with the console, the Move controller, the Playstation Eye, and Sports Champions, all for a penny shy of $400. This bundle also does not appear to come with the Navigation controller.

This little guy is where Sony is going to
     This little guy is where Sony is going to "get you" with the price.

Those are the prices, folks. You'll be paying at least $50 dollars for the controller. I think not including the Navigation controller with the Move controller or the bundles seems to be a very strange oversight that could keep people from owning the controller (and, consequently, keep developers from making games that support the analog stick on the controller). But, then again, maybe Sony is assuming that people who are seeking out the PlayStation Move are savvy enough that they're going to actually look for and buy each individual component, rather than just buying a bundle nothing more. I'm not sure. I ain't no business man. 

But you folks are all business. So, what about you guys? Are you interested in purchasing Move after Sony's E3 conference today?
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Afroman269

I'll get the sports bundle, wish it came with the controller that has the analog stick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I loved how at first, when they announced $50 everyone was stoked, then they showed the 2nd additional part, and people quieted down fast.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By canucks23

They don't give you the Nunchuk with every Wiimote either do they?

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By thatfrood

Can't you just have a package that comes with everything? Why can't you do that? Not hard, guys.

sjolle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By sjolle

expensive annyone ?

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Juno500

Not gonna bother with it. If it was $50 for the whole thing maybe, but until it goes down in price Sony can forget it about it.

aznfool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By aznfool07

Hope they bundle it with better games like socom or that sorcery game.

Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Zaph

So if you need the camera, controller and nunchuck, it will cost $130?

All of a sudden the Kinect rumoured price-tag of $150 doesn't sound so crazy.

twinkletowez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By twinkletowez

Even if you do pay $100 plus the $30 for the navigation controller, as of right now it's still cheaper than the unconfirmed price of Kinect (which is $150 according to gamestop).

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NoXious

I'm tempted to buying a PS3 for Move & Sorcery. That shit looked like fun.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By bacongames

Why did they separate it?  Give it to me for all for $100 you bums!  Otherwise no buy. 

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Afroman269
    @sjolle said:
    " expensive annyone ? "
    compared to what kinect will go for, this shit be cheap.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MAST

It's about the same as buying extra Wii stuff. A remote, and nunchuck. Which is what I figured it would be.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats not too bad price wise, still probably wont get Move around the time of launch if at all.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RE_Player1

I love how everyone clapped when they announced the price of the move... than was dead silent when they announced the price for the sub controller lol

marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By marrec

So if you want to play with your friend, you have to spend at least 100 bucks? Four friends, 200 bucks? Ouch.

csadaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By csadaft

it too expensive. If Sony want this to have any serious impact this generation, they have to take a serious hit on this. Add ons historically do not have a great impact in the lifetime of a console.

Mardil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mardil

kinda expensive if you ask me

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By DrLove

ya thats mess up they dont throw in the second controller with the bundel

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Blueman

I'm still undecided, i'll have to wait for the launch games to get reviewed before i hand over my cash.

FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FireSketch

That's right, Jeff, you're a business, mann!

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FCKSNAP

I already have a PSeye so I'm only getting the one bulb for Deadspace Extraction. But this is definitely more competitive towards everyone if the Move-specific games are undercutting both the Wii and Kinect by 10 and 20 bucks respectively.

Wick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Wick

I would probably just buy a Wii for $160 if i was interested in motion controls

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Toxin066
    @TripMasterMunky said:
    " I loved how at first, when they announced $50 everyone was stoked, then they showed the 2nd additional part, and people quieted down fast. "
    I was pretty psyched when they said 50 at the conference. I thought that meant for the whole thing. Then I heard 20 for the next little part and was much less psyched.
    marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By marrec
    @Afroman269 said:
    " @sjolle said:
    " expensive annyone ? "
    compared to what kinect will go for, this shit be cheap. "
    You aren't thinking it through really, Kinect will be 150 for everyone to play around with, Move is 50-100 for just you.
    Robopengy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Robopengy

Still zero interest for any of this moving around business.

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So if I just throw stuff at my tv screen will the ps3 handle that?

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hairydutchman

I'm kinda confused at what controllers you will need to play some of the games. 1 wand, 2 wands, a wand and a nunchuck? 

Not going to buy it for this price anyway though.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By louiedog

I saw a bunch of people on Twitter claiming the price of this was officially the death of Kinect. While I think the rumored price of $150 for Kinect is too much, it's not bad when you break this down. $100 for the camera and controller. $130 for  the camera + remote + nav controller. $210 for camera + 2 remotes + 2 nav controllers. The question right now is how important that nav controller is for playing a lot of these games.

Also, a lot of people like playing more casual Wii titles in groups. Most people I know barely get their Wii out unless company is coming over. I'm sure a lot of games are turn based and controller passing will work fine, but the price barrier for two player games that don't seems really high.

subrandom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By subrandom

People will get two jobs to afford the Playstation Move.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By handlas

no thx for me.  Only game thus far that has looked interesting with the controller, imo, is the Sorcerer game.  Everything looks like minigames that they just made to show how the product works but will only be fun for like 5 minutes.  Oh, I guess there is Tiger Woods but I don't really play golf games.

marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By marrec
    @subrandom said:
    " People will get two jobs to afford the Playstation Move. "
    I already did that for my iPad!

Now I need THREE jobs! :*(
    s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By s10129107

Listen, obviously it's all about buttons.  Buttons, come on, does Kinnect have buttons...... NO.  BUTTONS!!! 

buttons

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35  Edited By themartyr

Seems like pretty standard operating procedure, given how Nintendo handled controller pricing.

Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jasonofindy

I would love to try out Sorcery.  However, since it looks like the easiest way to buy the parts would be the $100 sports bundle plus the separate $30 nunchuck it looks like I'll pass.  Even the "cheapest" way $100 ($50 Move +$30 nunchuck + PRAY to find a $20 used Eye) seems like too much to play the one game that looks fairly interesting.  Looks like I'll wait a couple years.  If Move is a failure, the controllers will be cheap then.  If Move is a success, there should be other games by that time to possibly justify the cost. 

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gike987
    @handlas said:
    " no thx for me.  Only game thus far that has looked interesting with the controller, imo, is the Sorcerer game.  Everything looks like minigames that they just made to show how the product works but will only be fun for like 5 minutes.  Oh, I guess there is Tiger Woods but I don't really play golf games. "
    SOCOM and KZ3 looks like mini game?
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By frankxiv

i don't see what the hubbub about the price is? seems like an ok deal to me. 

the eye alone is like $30-40 still. a dualshock 3 is still $45-55. $30 + $50 = $80 + lol $20 pack in game = $100. if the subcontroller is optional and an extra $30 that's still not too bad at all. and as much as i hate to even bring it up, TOTAL it's still less than the rumored price of $150 for kinect.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GioVANNI
    @Wick said:
    " I would probably just buy a Wii for $160 if i was interested in motion controls "
    And that's exactly why all this Microsoft/Sony motion control nonsense is dumb.
    Hats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hats
    @TripMasterMunky said:
    " I loved how at first, when they announced $50 everyone was stoked, then they showed the 2nd additional part, and people quieted down fast. "
    haha yep
    erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By erinfizz

I am interested in this, but will likely wait until my Sony credit card is offering Move controllers as something to spend reward points on. I am saving my pennies for RB3 and Nintendo games methinks.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Afroman269
    @marrec said:
    " @Afroman269 said:
    " @sjolle said:
    " expensive annyone ? "
    compared to what kinect will go for, this shit be cheap. "
    You aren't thinking it through really, Kinect will be 150 for everyone to play around with, Move is 50-100 for just you. "
    Well then I guess it depends on your personal value. I'm getting move for personal use and don't have in mind to use it like my wii which is used for group playing. Later down the road I will consider kinect but for my personal entertainment Move makes better sense to me.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MrKlorox

Want the "capability" of using the product? 30 bucks. Wanna aim? 50 bucks. Wanna move? 30 more bucks. Want a game to play? 60 bucks. 

$170

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By UncleDisco

Didn't they say awhile ago, that you could use the dual shock 3 as a sub controller?

the_tim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By the_tim

Eh, not excited about this. There will have to be quite a few "Move-exclusive" titles for me to want to drop any money on this add-on.

Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jasonofindy
    @gike987 said:
    " @handlas said:
    " no thx for me.  Only game thus far that has looked interesting with the controller, imo, is the Sorcerer game.  Everything looks like minigames that they just made to show how the product works but will only be fun for like 5 minutes.  Oh, I guess there is Tiger Woods but I don't really play golf games. "
    SOCOM and KZ3 looks like mini game? "
    No-but SOCOM and KZ3 look like games that would be better played with a real controller.  That doesn't appear to be an option with Sorcery.
    Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47  Edited By Aaron_G

Why am I not surprised that Sony is over charging us for something... again. 

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Vorbis

There needs to be a Move+Navigation+Eyetoy bundle for $100, then I would consider it.

The Sorcery demo, while not my game, showed how accurate it was. When he did an underarm spell his character did the same. Like Kinect it has great potential, just needs some games to realize it.

If Killzone3 uses it for aiming then yes, i'll pick it up for sure.

deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By deathstroke75

it was a dick move to not bundle the controller with the move.  at $50....i was interested...then the other shoe dropped.  a real shame.  of course....what about those games where they were showing off the two move controllers?  how does it recognize me holding the bow...when all i have is the one move controller?  maybe i missed something about how it all works, but i'm pretty sure if you want to do that...two move controllers.   

i have a pseye....useless other than eye of judgement, imo.  however that dead space 2 bundle is nice...and that sorcery thing did look cool enough.  have to see what the GB crew says.

JJRage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 30

#50  Edited By JJRage

Selling the controllers separately is stupid stupid stupid. Copying Nintendo wasn't enough, they had to copy their bullshit packaging practices too?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.