Redesigned 360 Revealed, Built In Wi-Fi And 250 Gig Hard Drive

Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

Those italians were right on the money. At the end of the Microsoft E3 Press Conference, Executive Don Mattrick announced that the rumored Xbox 360 redesign was officially happening. How happening, you ask? The redesigned 360 is shipping to retailers today, and will be out this week. Not since the Sega Saturn launched at the end of Sega's E3 Press Conference in 1995 has a piece of announced hardware made it to retail shelves so quickly. 

The major upgrades to the 360 include it's smaller form factor and built-in wi-fi (finally, the 360 catches up to the Nintendo DS). The 360 redesign also ships with a 250 gig hard drive inside of it's smaller-footprint shape. The new black box will run you $300 dollars. That's the same price of the retail 360 with a 120gig hard drive. And that one doesn't even have wi-fi! Think of the savings! Of course, Microsoft's Kinect hardware will be compatible with the 360 redesign. 

Here's the trailer for the hardware revision went up on the Xbox 360 once the Press Conference was over. 

Remember, you can only see that new Xbox trailer on an Xbox you already own. That's dark irony at work. 

What do ay think, folks? Interested in picking up the new 360?

#1 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

Those italians were right on the money. At the end of the Microsoft E3 Press Conference, Executive Don Mattrick announced that the rumored Xbox 360 redesign was officially happening. How happening, you ask? The redesigned 360 is shipping to retailers today, and will be out this week. Not since the Sega Saturn launched at the end of Sega's E3 Press Conference in 1995 has a piece of announced hardware made it to retail shelves so quickly. 

The major upgrades to the 360 include it's smaller form factor and built-in wi-fi (finally, the 360 catches up to the Nintendo DS). The 360 redesign also ships with a 250 gig hard drive inside of it's smaller-footprint shape. The new black box will run you $300 dollars. That's the same price of the retail 360 with a 120gig hard drive. And that one doesn't even have wi-fi! Think of the savings! Of course, Microsoft's Kinect hardware will be compatible with the 360 redesign. 

Here's the trailer for the hardware revision went up on the Xbox 360 once the Press Conference was over. 

Remember, you can only see that new Xbox trailer on an Xbox you already own. That's dark irony at work. 

What do ay think, folks? Interested in picking up the new 360?

#2 Posted by MajorToms (395 posts) -

I dunno if I want this
if it's quiet I might, but it better never red ring

#3 Posted by HariHazler (12 posts) -

Doesn't look that sexy, but we'll see.

#4 Edited by metalsnakezero (2341 posts) -

Looking good and they finally put wi-fi in the damn thing.

#5 Posted by ArchV1le (232 posts) -

want, but won't get probably

#6 Posted by Kieran_ES (258 posts) -

Looks like a fugly desktop.

#7 Posted by MeatXbeatsXman (238 posts) -

WANT ONE.

#8 Posted by BibleDoctor (698 posts) -

I won't lie I am very likely to purchase this soon.

#9 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1496 posts) -

I do like that its sexy black and the wifi but, there's nothing wrong with my RE5 blood red xbox that I bought a while back.  Ugh, the limited edition was more expensive too.

#10 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Why do they keep saying that it's kinect ready? Are they trying to say that my regular xbox isn't going to work with it?

#11 Posted by coreykrosting (20 posts) -

I am looking forward to this, but I expect that they will have resolved any build issues.

#12 Posted by TheSilentTruth (1138 posts) -

I'm not too crazy about the glossy finish, and hopefully my current 360 won't die any time soon.

#13 Edited by MattBosten (497 posts) -

I'm pleasantly surprised that MS are putting it out at the same price point as the existing hardware.

#14 Posted by Snail (8648 posts) -

The guy might as well be saying "Hey! Look! Our console doesn't suck anymore".

Looks like a decent console for a change.

#15 Posted by DeF (4958 posts) -

besides the fitness game, this is what got me excited. why? cause I have mass effect and alan wake sitting on my shelf and I've been holding out on buying a 360 (got a ps3/wii already, this is the only one missing). I was expecting a price cut but THIS is even better, let's hope the hardware itself is even less prone to RROD now. and built in wi-fi! yay!

#16 Posted by Seedofpower (3947 posts) -

Holy shit on a pickle! If my shit craps for the final time, I will pick this up.

#17 Posted by Milkman (17201 posts) -

With my current 360 taking its last breaths, I'll probably end up buying this.

#18 Posted by rentfn (1283 posts) -

dont buy it...please dont buy it!!!!!!!

#19 Posted by Solskugga (71 posts) -

if it is quiet im gonna trade my old one in for it. no questions asked

#20 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -
@EndSarcasm said:
" Looks like a fugly desktop. "
YES
#21 Posted by Rinkalicous (1340 posts) -

I wasn't sure about this, but according to the guy, it's the xbox 360 I've been waiting for, so obviously I'm sold.

#22 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

Maybe i'm just getting caught up in new console hype, but i think this is one of the best looking consoles ever.

#23 Posted by cfflymolo (5 posts) -

That thing is as good as bought for me, Amazon cannot put this thing on their site fast enough.

#24 Posted by VoshiNova (1736 posts) -

Awesome, need a new xbox and that thing has built in wi-fi!

#25 Posted by Pishogue (15 posts) -

My xbox is out of warranty, so if it RRODs on me, I'd love to get this, but I wonder if I can transfer the contents of my current hard drive to this one.

#26 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

I'm glad that consoles are going back to being all black. Fuck white.

#27 Posted by EthanielRain (907 posts) -

Recently sold my old 360, now they pull me back in! 

#28 Posted by Downandout (290 posts) -
@Afroman269: You will need to plug Kinect into a separate power outlet with the older xboxes but with this you wont need to
#29 Posted by ReDfr0st (138 posts) -

so we dont have to pay for wifi, yea right they find a way! catching up to the wii, smart!
#30 Posted by TerraDelu (501 posts) -

"  (finally, the 360 catches up to the Nintendo DS)" 

hahahahah, yup!

#31 Posted by SilenceUK (330 posts) -

i will get one when they say if it works with the HDDVD drive and if you can transfer from a 120 and how easy that is
#32 Posted by BlueStriped (101 posts) -

soon ill get a slim

#33 Posted by Vafthrutnir (120 posts) -

That gloss, only thing stopping me from buying one, well not the only thing but w/e.

#34 Posted by MajorToms (395 posts) -
@Afroman269:  Nah, Kinect will require a seperate power source on the original Xbox 360s.
THIS Xbox 360, however, will have enough juice to power both the 360 and the Kinect. So a seperate power source for the Kinect isn't needed on the New 360.
#35 Posted by targ (5 posts) -

mmmmm donuts, err i mean xbox.  i dont know if it's because it's shiny or what but i want one.

#36 Posted by Tuggah (1073 posts) -

If I didn't just buy a new X-Box, I might get this.

#37 Posted by mrhankey (695 posts) -

I think it would look better if it was a matte finish as opposed to a glossy finish.

#38 Posted by Masfo (95 posts) -

I'll get one when my Elite takes its last breath

#39 Posted by Psi_FX (20 posts) -

No more RED RINGS OF DEATH....... please

#40 Posted by PowerBombYo (192 posts) -

At least now when it red rings...it will look pretty doing so.

#41 Posted by JustinSane311 (335 posts) -

The new 360 looks pretty sweet, I actually think I might pick this up!

#42 Posted by dr_mantas (2017 posts) -

I don't know if I have been WAITING for it, but it's fine

#43 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" Why do they keep saying that it's kinect ready? Are they trying to say that my regular xbox isn't going to work with it? "
Not sure, it could mean that the software is already installed on the console instead of waiting to install a update for all consoles. Or its just a marketing term. Kinect will be compatible with all existing 360s, this has been confirmed before. 

Also I'm not too sure about the matte. It'd have a lot of fingerprints on it compare to the matte on the old 360s.
#44 Posted by Arrested_Developer (734 posts) -

I never thought I'd actually want my old 360 to red ring before but man I want that.

#45 Posted by Master (16 posts) -

Day one.  (And I just bought a 250 gig HDD last night.  *facepalm*)

#46 Posted by Crono (2698 posts) -

Will I be able to transfer date from my current 360's hard drive to the new one?

#47 Posted by Sovereign13 (147 posts) -

I'm considering buying an xbox 360 for the first time in ages.

#48 Posted by Infinityslimit (121 posts) -

It's about time they improved the xbox the worst part is having a 20gig that is loud as a plane and has no hdmi. Im getting this to replace that for sure.

#49 Posted by CreativeColossi (215 posts) -
@Crono: USB drives can be used to transfer saves, yep.
#50 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3113 posts) -

Are they going to mention whether or not this one will unexpectedly die on me?  Because that is something kind of important to know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.