Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2011

Concept »

The 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 7-9.

Disappointment, thy name is E3.

hoshinosenshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By hoshinosenshi

Here's the scenario. You're facing off against a series of trials, that of which will have you give up anything you had planned in advanced as you cannot be pulled from outside distractions.

No, wait, that doesn't work in all cases.

Rather, let me explain it like this, for something that only comes around once a year, like a birthday, Christmas, or someone speculating on the world ending, it's something to look forward to. This leads me to question; why? Granted, as a community who all share interests in the same media, it feels like there's a large split in what exactly 'games' are, as we have come to known over the past three decades. Let me summarize this in one word: 'innovation'. The word this time around revolves around anything that isn't a controller, so I'll list those and explain why I personally feel that innovation sometimes doesn't work towards a certain market.

Microsoft had said beforehand that they were going to put a lot of backing into Kinect this year, with the desire to push it towards the hardcore demographic. I'm not entirely sure what they mean by that 'group' in theory, yet I can't help but feel they are miscomprehending their views. Another analysis could be that 'avid 360 user with a Kinect' versus 'avid 360 user without Kinect'. To make sense of this, avid user could either be 'hardcore' or 'casual', but then it leads to what I really have been thinking ever since the unveil last year. What is Microsoft trying to do with this?

We saw the reel of games they were planning to prove that the hardware is still being supported, but I don't honestly think they were doing anything interesting or, going back to the earlier word, innovative. We've seen these basic interactions in previous demos, and yes, while you've gone ahead and found out how to implement finger tracking, it still lacks any real creative use. If I want to draw a line, I can use a tablet. Same principal on a different scale.

Sony seem to have taking a liking to handhelds recently, a few PSP iterations, the Go system which died an early death, and that phone which has the face buttons. Of course now, we have the Vita, which was already leaked months ago known as the NGP at the time. Is it competition for the 3DS? Possibly. Is it nessercary? I don't think so, personally.

I'm probably going to sound a bit biased here, but nothing about the Vita caught my interest at all. This isn't because it's another handheld that Sony have jumped onto the bandwagon with, but more because it's pushing 'features' crammed into it akin to overfilling a suitcase with clothes and not being able to close the lid. Uncharted, yes, it looks nice, I will admit. However, all that was ever pushed were the features of the Vita itself. I do not understand how 'painting' a set string of blocks (mostly tied to a geometry line) is engaging. Wouldn't it be more absorbing if we were to move along the wall as we always had done; with an analogue stick (or D-Pad)? 

I know it may sound like I'm not accepting these concepts, but really, I've enjoyed games for so long without all these features, so why are they being pushed so far for the 'hardcore'? Maybe we don't need these 'new gameplay experiances' at this current time, or if the opposite, using them in ways that aren't demeaning of their actual capabilites.  Maybe I'm just getting too old.

Last up on show, but never the least, Nintendo with their WiiU... controller. I'll admit, when I first saw it in the unveil video, I thought "So this works with the Wii, but is also it's own thing?" So to only hear that it is just the controller concept for this new system kind of surprised me. Alright, it can be used to play Wii games away from the TV, which is a neat idea... but then it somehow turned into a tablet as well? Yeah, that just happened and I'm not sure what to think. Furthermore, this controller is going to, by the looks of it, eat batteries. If there is one thing that's worked out well, it's rechargeable controllers. 

The Wii Remote by standard does not support this, unless you go for the third party accessories. If for instance, you're playing a dungeon crawler with vastly spread savepoints, you're going to need the extra time to battle your way towards one, and if you're fighting against battery power, it's inevitible that it will cut off before you get the chance. Without a sleep option to preserve your gameplay as handhelds do nowadays, this is a concern for the controller in my view.

I'd go further in depth for all these concepts, but I don't know if I'd end up breaking past some text count. Rather, I'll end this with one last thought on the keynotes overall.

Mr. Caffiene has the mental age of a child, who does not realize the concept of promoting games to a mostly adult audiance.

hoshinosenshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hoshinosenshi

Here's the scenario. You're facing off against a series of trials, that of which will have you give up anything you had planned in advanced as you cannot be pulled from outside distractions.

No, wait, that doesn't work in all cases.

Rather, let me explain it like this, for something that only comes around once a year, like a birthday, Christmas, or someone speculating on the world ending, it's something to look forward to. This leads me to question; why? Granted, as a community who all share interests in the same media, it feels like there's a large split in what exactly 'games' are, as we have come to known over the past three decades. Let me summarize this in one word: 'innovation'. The word this time around revolves around anything that isn't a controller, so I'll list those and explain why I personally feel that innovation sometimes doesn't work towards a certain market.

Microsoft had said beforehand that they were going to put a lot of backing into Kinect this year, with the desire to push it towards the hardcore demographic. I'm not entirely sure what they mean by that 'group' in theory, yet I can't help but feel they are miscomprehending their views. Another analysis could be that 'avid 360 user with a Kinect' versus 'avid 360 user without Kinect'. To make sense of this, avid user could either be 'hardcore' or 'casual', but then it leads to what I really have been thinking ever since the unveil last year. What is Microsoft trying to do with this?

We saw the reel of games they were planning to prove that the hardware is still being supported, but I don't honestly think they were doing anything interesting or, going back to the earlier word, innovative. We've seen these basic interactions in previous demos, and yes, while you've gone ahead and found out how to implement finger tracking, it still lacks any real creative use. If I want to draw a line, I can use a tablet. Same principal on a different scale.

Sony seem to have taking a liking to handhelds recently, a few PSP iterations, the Go system which died an early death, and that phone which has the face buttons. Of course now, we have the Vita, which was already leaked months ago known as the NGP at the time. Is it competition for the 3DS? Possibly. Is it nessercary? I don't think so, personally.

I'm probably going to sound a bit biased here, but nothing about the Vita caught my interest at all. This isn't because it's another handheld that Sony have jumped onto the bandwagon with, but more because it's pushing 'features' crammed into it akin to overfilling a suitcase with clothes and not being able to close the lid. Uncharted, yes, it looks nice, I will admit. However, all that was ever pushed were the features of the Vita itself. I do not understand how 'painting' a set string of blocks (mostly tied to a geometry line) is engaging. Wouldn't it be more absorbing if we were to move along the wall as we always had done; with an analogue stick (or D-Pad)? 

I know it may sound like I'm not accepting these concepts, but really, I've enjoyed games for so long without all these features, so why are they being pushed so far for the 'hardcore'? Maybe we don't need these 'new gameplay experiances' at this current time, or if the opposite, using them in ways that aren't demeaning of their actual capabilites.  Maybe I'm just getting too old.

Last up on show, but never the least, Nintendo with their WiiU... controller. I'll admit, when I first saw it in the unveil video, I thought "So this works with the Wii, but is also it's own thing?" So to only hear that it is just the controller concept for this new system kind of surprised me. Alright, it can be used to play Wii games away from the TV, which is a neat idea... but then it somehow turned into a tablet as well? Yeah, that just happened and I'm not sure what to think. Furthermore, this controller is going to, by the looks of it, eat batteries. If there is one thing that's worked out well, it's rechargeable controllers. 

The Wii Remote by standard does not support this, unless you go for the third party accessories. If for instance, you're playing a dungeon crawler with vastly spread savepoints, you're going to need the extra time to battle your way towards one, and if you're fighting against battery power, it's inevitible that it will cut off before you get the chance. Without a sleep option to preserve your gameplay as handhelds do nowadays, this is a concern for the controller in my view.

I'd go further in depth for all these concepts, but I don't know if I'd end up breaking past some text count. Rather, I'll end this with one last thought on the keynotes overall.

Mr. Caffiene has the mental age of a child, who does not realize the concept of promoting games to a mostly adult audiance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.