Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2011

Concept »

The 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 7-9.

E3 2011 Live Blog: Microsoft Press Conference

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#1201  Edited By TepidShark

Well it is food time before EA starts.

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
    kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@blackblade500 said:

I feel like I am the only one excited for Halo 4, I love the Halo Story and world that was created around the halo franchise.

You aren't the only one mate. I can't wait.

Was surprised when Cortana turned up. I didn't see the leaks because I got up at 2.30am here to watch the conference.

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1203  Edited By leejunfan83

all the bitching on this thread is lame there are still a bunch of great 3rd party games coming out for the xbox this year microsoft did good enough to me they backed their new product i don't even have a kinect or xbox and i was sold 

Smokey_Earhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1204  Edited By Smokey_Earhole

@PenguinDust said:

Oh, two more things. The Kinect Sports presentation made me feel like I accidentally turned into a Nintendo press conference, it was so lame. Those two football guys, ugh I wanted someone to run up and shiv them between the ribs on stage.
    In closing..."FISTBUMP!"
    No Caption Provided
    RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1205  Edited By RockAction
    @Hizang said:

I don't have a Kinect, I don't follow Halo, man...

good point, i am in the same boat; i was hoping reach could get me into halo as i didn't enjoy CE when it came out, but it was basically the same game, so unfortunately i'm not excited for the remake or the 'new trilogy' 

also, although some of the kinect stuff looked entertaining - such as the finger tracking / scanning - any gameplay they showed looked boring and overcooked; i really can't imagine myself shouting squad directions at the screen in ME3 and the Ghost Recon thing which did look cool, would lose its impact pretty soon 

and i also don't enjoy the gears games so thats that as well 

they didn't really have a lot to offer unfortunately; but i think for microsoft it makes perfect sense; make the 360 the platform that you play all your multiplatform games on, throw in a couple of fan favourite games to keep the core happy and expand the casual market with kinect but for the industry it doesnt do much if they aren't pushing for new IPs

@Scooper
    said:
    A new Trilogy and they aren't even waiting for the next console.  
    yeh i found that odd too; not even announcing a new game in the series but specifically stating that its a trilogy, and if its late 2012 launch even with a COD-like yearly release schedule that still means late 2014 for that trilogy to conclude; unless that's what they're going for, i think sony and MS said they'd hold off on announcing new platforms until  2013, so 2014 launch and halo 6 swansong for 360 seems appropriate 

still underwhelming press conference; though i didn't expect much going in after the past couple years
    Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1206  Edited By Jedted

Interesting press confrence.  The ME3 voice commands were the most interesting, IMO. 

Wonder if they'll have any gesture commands for interupts. 
    Avatar image for detectivespecial
    DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@elcalavera: I know - but this conference was for you and me. They gotta convince me to buy that for my kids, and that showing didn't do the trick.

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#1208  Edited By Rasgueado

@MaFoLu said:

Kinect Minecraft will be really fun, swing your arm to mine!

Then never be able to use you arm again...

I'm willing to bet that you'll primarily play the game with a controller, but when you need to move icons like you would have with a mouse... that's where the kinect stuff will happen.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1209  Edited By crusader8463

Looks like I won't need to dust off my 360 any time soon. Just more stupid kinetic and gears/halo stuff I couldn't care less about. Oh well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The Kinect demos looked entirely prerecorded. I wonder if anything was actually played on stage.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#1211  Edited By MeatSim

That was a lot more Kinect talk then I wanted.

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#1212  Edited By TepidShark

One thing surprisingly missing from the Press Conference, was the Gears Kinect game, I think it was supposed to be called Gears of War Elite.

Seraphim84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1213  Edited By Seraphim84

The hitting in that Star Wars game was really really wimpy lookin. Disappoint.

downtime58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1214  Edited By downtime58

This conference reminds me of the Nintendo conference a couple years back...I kept thinking, "I guess this isn't for me." 

I get it from a business-sense...gamers have bought their Xbox's...now it's time to appeal to the casuals. Still I keep wishing for more games that speak to mature audiences like an L.A. Noire, and instead we get a plethora of half-baked mini-games.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1215  Edited By Winternet

What happened to the banners? Weren't supposed to be banners for each press conference?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1216  Edited By penguindust
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    The Kinect demos looked entirely prerecorded. I wonder if anything was actually played on stage.
    That thought occurred to me too.  Especially the golf portion of Kinect Sports.   I suspect there was quite a bit of smoke and mirrors going on in that presentation.
    jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#1217  Edited By jkuc316
    leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1218  Edited By leejunfan83
    @PenguinDust: question in years prior what did Mircosoft show you that impressed you that was a first party IP?
    downtime58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1219  Edited By downtime58
    @mrv321: You make a good point - I wonder the same thing with past Nintendo conferences...if the point of coming to E3 is to get game enthusiasts excited about your products, perhaps you should show products that appeal to them.

Casual gamers are not watching livestreams of E3 in the middle of the afternoon...gamers are...if you want to appeal to ma and pa casual gamer, do it on the Today Show.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1220  Edited By penguindust
    @leejunfan83 said:
    @PenguinDust: question in years prior what did Mircosoft show you that impressed you that was a first party IP?
    The first Forza, Alan Wake last year, the DOA games (not first party, but they were exclusives), the first Mass Effect (before Bioware was an EA property), the second Fable game, even though it was abandoned, I was intrigued by the initial Milo thing.   But, I get your point.  It's mostly a 3rd party line-up for Microsoft, which still doesn't give me, personally, much reason to get excited about the Xbox for the next year and a half.
    leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1221  Edited By leejunfan83
    @Branthog: I don't think you had realistic expectations 
    kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#1222  Edited By kmg90
    @leejunfan83 said:
    all the bitching on this thread is lame there are still a bunch of great 3rd party games coming out for the xbox this year microsoft did good enough to me they backed their new product i don't even have a kinect or xbox and i was sold 
    the key term is 3rd party, which means Publishers outside of Microsoft, which the way things are nowadays if it's not published by the first party company (SCEI, Microsoft Game Studios). there's a big chance that the game is available on more than one platform, and there little to no differences between versions of the games. Where it's all about preference rather than exclusivity of features or content.  There was nothing groundbreaking or worthwhile showcased, including Kinect, which in my opinion offers very little in terms of innovation and immersion. While it is impressive technology, the Kinect in its current state, is very restrained. Not only is the motion detection delayed, but I see very little opportunity for application in any games outside of rail shooters (see latest Harry Potter game) and shallow mini games.  

I was really looking forward to seeing any Kinect-based game that could show off its potential that hasn't been implemented so far, and all I saw was more sports and mini games, now with more voice-recognition which really isn't that much impressive. there were numerous games on the PS2 that featured voice commands including one which all control was done via voice commands (Lifeline)

( as a side note I should point out that I dictated this entire message via Dragons NaturallySpeaking program, which was first released in 1997 and pretty much has little to no errors when it comes to recognizing vocal commands. exhausted that the technology is so mainstream that Windows Vista and 7 come with built-in voice-recognition support.) 
    Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1223  Edited By Piranesi

A little too safe and comfortable from Microsoft. Very similar to last year's presentation.

Xbox 360 looks close to the end of its lifecycle so they aren't going to be too inventive (beyond the KinectHacks stuff).

A real shame about the lack of new ideas and IPs - too many sequels of cash cows to generate much interest and excitement. If the money's still coming in, they can sit back while they develop the new console.

As Sony is still shell shocked from the recent unpleasantness, this E3 is open for Nintendo to sweep everything else away.

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1224  Edited By leejunfan83
    @kmg90: so you were looking for a sequel to Brute force and Kakuto Chogin the Kinect intergration did look quite impressive . Realistically what were you expecting?
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@Branthog said:

@creamypies said:

@Branthog: Your definition of retarded is confusing to me. It's the best dance game out there.

Yeah, I'm a straight middle aged male, though.

I feel sorry for you that you feel that age and sexuality effect a persons enjoyment of dancing.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1226  Edited By phantomzxro
    @leejunfan83 said:
    @Branthog: I don't think you had realistic expectations 

I don't think his expectations are too far out there. Most xbox fans or xbox owners just wanted  a Non kinect new IP to get hyped for. This conference showed all the same games that xbox fans are use to and xbox owners may be bored of or not interested in. In that sense i can understand people being disppointed.  Most of the kinect games they showed were very tech demo on rails feeling. The few jems like dance central 2 and having it use voice commands better is cool but not a highlight i would say.
    leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1227  Edited By leejunfan83
    @phantomzxro: But how often does Microsoft introduce new IP's? I mean Alan Wake isn't exactly a critically acclaimed game. I know Microsoft by now I don't expect or even trust the quality of their potentially new IP's. I knew going in this E3 was all about strengthening the Kinect 
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1228  Edited By UnrealDP

"Minecraft is coming to the 360 with kinect support".....I don't even, what?!?!
    Snigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1229  Edited By Snigs

Anyone know where I can download the conference? I wasn't able to catch the stream...

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1230  Edited By leejunfan83
    @Snigs: youtube is restreaming it as we speak
    Phoenix87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1231  Edited By Phoenix87

Overall I would give the Xbox press conference a D- at best. Absolutely boring and offering nothing new. Don't give a damn about Halo 4 or Gears of War. Don't care about Kinnect either.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1232  Edited By Hairydutchman

Great conference, I laughed myself silly

Good thing I don't have a 360

core1065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1233  Edited By core1065

@Absolute_Zero: I was talking about Kudo. cool shades are permanently attached to Ice T's face.

core1065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1234  Edited By core1065

@Dynamix: I was talking about Kudo. Ice T has to have shades on, its the law. He has diamonds for eyes, he would blind the whole audience.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#1235  Edited By delta_ass

The hell is a hoard mode?

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1236  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Any links for a restream?

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1237  Edited By Keeng
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

Any links for a restream?

I hear YouTube is doing it but I haven't found it yet. Gamespot has it as well.
    aidros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1238  Edited By aidros

I knew investing in that Messenger pad was worth it! Easy search on YouTube for Me!

Absolute_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#1239  Edited By Absolute_Zero

@core1065: Well I think Kudo has to for medical reasons (don't quote me). But if not for that reason, trying to be like Ice T is a noble goal (which was what I originally meant).

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#1240  Edited By xpgamer7

Interesting but nothing really worth noting.

petitfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1241  Edited By petitfool
    @creamypies said:

@Branthog said:

@creamypies said:

@Branthog: Your definition of retarded is confusing to me. It's the best dance game out there.

Yeah, I'm a straight middle aged male, though.

I feel sorry for you that you feel that age and sexuality effect a persons enjoyment of dancing.

And gender, as a matter of fact.
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1242  Edited By phantomzxro
    @leejunfan83 said:
    @phantomzxro: But how often does Microsoft introduce new IP's? I mean Alan Wake isn't exactly a critically acclaimed game. I know Microsoft by now I don't expect or even trust the quality of their potentially new IP's. I knew going in this E3 was all about strengthening the Kinect 

True but that does not write off it's a problem microsoft needs to fix , they are following a little to closely of what nintendo did with the wii  focusing a little to close to trying to get the causal market. They could have worked on one new (nonkenect) to get some people excited. So i think their show was standard not bad but not great. which is not a good standing when sony and nintendo had pretty solid showings.
    BlinIKI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1243  Edited By BlinIKI

nice 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.