Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2011

Concept »

The 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 7-9.

Has Nintendo has already "won" E3 this year?

goldkear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By goldkear

First of all, let me say I have recently joined the holy ranks of the PC gamer, so I from the start I wasn't too invested in what the 3 console manufacturers had to say. I am by no means a Nintendo fan boy as I sold my Wii years ago.  However, I was most curious about Nintendo's keynote at this year's E3 from the beginning and after seeing their competetors' shows I must say I think they have the upper hand.  First lets take a look at what we've already seen. 

The general consensus is that Microsoft's presser sucked. they were too focused on kinect, which I personally don't know anyone who owns one. Though I didn't watch this keynote (I was sleeping, har!) everything I read was kinect. Everyone is saying the biggest surprise was minecraft (which was also kinect-enabled) but didn't mojang announce this months ago the same time they mentioned the android version? Maybe it wasn't definite then, but i'm pretty sure it's been brought up before. So with that in mind, the best thing in Microsoft's event was tomb raider. One last note on Microsoft's presentation: the new new Xbox experience, it's oozing metro UI, which is gorgeous, but nobody really bought WP7, why is Microsoft so adamant about this new look on EVERYTHING they make? (I'm looking at you windows 8)

Onward to Sony. they're still pushing 3d, and I still say it's just a fad, but at least they are a little more subtle about it, and honestly that PlayStation branded TV looked pretty cool, if they offered a 40"+ sized version I would be really tempted to buy it, since the price isn't unreasonable for the current 24 incher. The real spotlight here was of course the NGP, or PlayStation Vita as it's now known. That name is awful (though we'll get used to it like with the wii) and the decision to partner with AT&T is just plain stupid. I am currently on Verizon for my cell phone and the only time I've ever lost 3g signal is in someone's basement, on the other hand my friends with AT&T (which actually just recently got started in my area, so I am willing to cut them a little slack here) sometimes have no data at all, much less 3g. I'm not saying Sony should have exclusively went to Verizon, but having more that one partner would have been wise (even if it was t-mo so they wouldn't have to have 2 different radios in it.) Another problem I have with the vita is it really has too much going on. A touch screen, touch pad, 2 cameras, tons of buttons, a mic (?), 3g and wifi radios, it opens up a lot of opportunities for devs, but at what point is enough enough? I may still buy one, simply because I've been meaning to pick up a psp over the years and just never did, and the vita will be able to play older downloadable games, though it would be nice if it played umd's. When all is said and done i'm left a little confused on Sony's new handheld. 

So what will tomorrow's Nintendo keynote bring? well they already said they would have working units of their new console. Overall, the other two keynotes were underwhelming (to put it lightly in Microsoft's case), and sony's biggest announcement was a handheld system. I tend to think console systems are more of a big deal, and if half the rumors are true this "project cafe" is going to be insane (though harking back to my little vita rant, when is enough enough? I mean a 6" touch screen? really?). To be honest I kind of want Reggie and/or Shigeru to walk out on a barren stage with a single light bulb hanging on a wire above their new console, speak it's name once, and walk of the stage, turning out the light and leaving a room full of confused reporters. Be honest: how amazing would that be. But more realistically, Nintendo are masters of marketing and will put on a fantastic show, they will of course announce their new console, and show of launch titles for it, another big ticket item will be LoZ: skyward sword. (which BTW, if this takes place before the original link in OoT, who is the hero - food for thought). I'm personally willing to bet they will release the new Zelda on both consoles. They'll have to hype up the 3DS as well since nobody seems to be buying it. Of course if we know Nintendo, they've got some surprises in store too. I'm hoping for the wii vitality sensor, mainly because I think it's hilarious.  

Like I said, I think a new console announcement is always a huge deal at E3, the greatest expo in years that I can think of was the year all 3 companies announced their newest (now current) generation of consoles. 

goldkear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By goldkear

First of all, let me say I have recently joined the holy ranks of the PC gamer, so I from the start I wasn't too invested in what the 3 console manufacturers had to say. I am by no means a Nintendo fan boy as I sold my Wii years ago.  However, I was most curious about Nintendo's keynote at this year's E3 from the beginning and after seeing their competetors' shows I must say I think they have the upper hand.  First lets take a look at what we've already seen. 

The general consensus is that Microsoft's presser sucked. they were too focused on kinect, which I personally don't know anyone who owns one. Though I didn't watch this keynote (I was sleeping, har!) everything I read was kinect. Everyone is saying the biggest surprise was minecraft (which was also kinect-enabled) but didn't mojang announce this months ago the same time they mentioned the android version? Maybe it wasn't definite then, but i'm pretty sure it's been brought up before. So with that in mind, the best thing in Microsoft's event was tomb raider. One last note on Microsoft's presentation: the new new Xbox experience, it's oozing metro UI, which is gorgeous, but nobody really bought WP7, why is Microsoft so adamant about this new look on EVERYTHING they make? (I'm looking at you windows 8)

Onward to Sony. they're still pushing 3d, and I still say it's just a fad, but at least they are a little more subtle about it, and honestly that PlayStation branded TV looked pretty cool, if they offered a 40"+ sized version I would be really tempted to buy it, since the price isn't unreasonable for the current 24 incher. The real spotlight here was of course the NGP, or PlayStation Vita as it's now known. That name is awful (though we'll get used to it like with the wii) and the decision to partner with AT&T is just plain stupid. I am currently on Verizon for my cell phone and the only time I've ever lost 3g signal is in someone's basement, on the other hand my friends with AT&T (which actually just recently got started in my area, so I am willing to cut them a little slack here) sometimes have no data at all, much less 3g. I'm not saying Sony should have exclusively went to Verizon, but having more that one partner would have been wise (even if it was t-mo so they wouldn't have to have 2 different radios in it.) Another problem I have with the vita is it really has too much going on. A touch screen, touch pad, 2 cameras, tons of buttons, a mic (?), 3g and wifi radios, it opens up a lot of opportunities for devs, but at what point is enough enough? I may still buy one, simply because I've been meaning to pick up a psp over the years and just never did, and the vita will be able to play older downloadable games, though it would be nice if it played umd's. When all is said and done i'm left a little confused on Sony's new handheld. 

So what will tomorrow's Nintendo keynote bring? well they already said they would have working units of their new console. Overall, the other two keynotes were underwhelming (to put it lightly in Microsoft's case), and sony's biggest announcement was a handheld system. I tend to think console systems are more of a big deal, and if half the rumors are true this "project cafe" is going to be insane (though harking back to my little vita rant, when is enough enough? I mean a 6" touch screen? really?). To be honest I kind of want Reggie and/or Shigeru to walk out on a barren stage with a single light bulb hanging on a wire above their new console, speak it's name once, and walk of the stage, turning out the light and leaving a room full of confused reporters. Be honest: how amazing would that be. But more realistically, Nintendo are masters of marketing and will put on a fantastic show, they will of course announce their new console, and show of launch titles for it, another big ticket item will be LoZ: skyward sword. (which BTW, if this takes place before the original link in OoT, who is the hero - food for thought). I'm personally willing to bet they will release the new Zelda on both consoles. They'll have to hype up the 3DS as well since nobody seems to be buying it. Of course if we know Nintendo, they've got some surprises in store too. I'm hoping for the wii vitality sensor, mainly because I think it's hilarious.  

Like I said, I think a new console announcement is always a huge deal at E3, the greatest expo in years that I can think of was the year all 3 companies announced their newest (now current) generation of consoles. 

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Wuddel

Well, in the two other (maybe even more) important markets for PlayStation - Japan and Europe - wireless coverage is not really an issue. In nearly every (even small) city it is excellent for US standards. So the price on the NGP is a shocker. It is really good and even can compete with an iPad (which is the real enemy). Thats why it has all the features.

If Nintendo does not swing into a completely strategy, and suddenly brings games like Battlefield or Skyrm - games which include stabbing and shooting other people into a bloody pile of guts - I remain uninteresseted in their platforms. Sorry, you might have fond memories of Nintendo, a lot of console oriented people have and even I owend a gameboy and super nes, but as someone who comes from the PC crowd I think of Nintendo as a supplier of kids games, and I doubt this will change much tomorrow. So Nintendo can not (or does not need to) win.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By monkeyking1969

"Onward to Sony. they're still pushing 3d, and I still say it's just a fad, but at least they are a little more subtle about it, and honestly that PlayStation branded TV looked pretty cool, if they offered a 40"+ sized version I would be really tempted to buy it, since the price isn't unreasonable for the current 24 incher."

I think people get their hackles up too much about 3D. I think it has ticked-by the fad stage already, the claws are in the flesh, and the deadly machine is crawling on its own. People who you would not think would admit they liked the 3D in games, are admitting it does add something to the games this year. The movies using it well are stacking up slowly, and the instances of it being used poorly are slowing down. The technology behind bringing 3D to people is increasing and accelerating towards doing it in ways they require less equipment at lower cost. I do not think 3D will have a "bad year" and slowly go away. It is crossed the last restraining barrier, 3D will now move forward under its own power.

Sorry I grabbed onto that one statement in your whole blog, the rest of what you wrote was very good, but the use of the "F" word struck me funny.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

Nobody won- each show was mediocre. To me, Ubisoft won with that Assassin's Creed demo.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic

EA won 
    then SONY

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Marcsman
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    EA won then SONY

Sure why not? Game of the show was definitely Twisted Metal
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By 71Ranchero

The only thing I have seen at the show so far that was interesting was the Vita but then again Im a pretty big techie so anything that shiny is going to steam my attention. When Nintendo showed the WiiU I was literally in shock at what I was seeing. It was so far removed what from I feel they should have done that I actually felt a little bid bad for them. Who knows though, its not even on sale yet and wont be for a while. We wont know who won anything until you can get it in your hands.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Crash_Happy

@TooWalrus said:

Nobody won- each show was mediocre.

This really. There were individual parts that each event had of interest (how can you not be interested in seeing a new console, or what the next installment of a major series looks like). But for me certainly no outright winner.

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By tooPrime

I feel like Microsoft is in the best position right now so they didn't really need to do anything that impressive, while Sony and Nintendo were trying harder, but not in a way that convinces me they will change anything.  Nintendo has seen the end of the casual bump (it still exists, but not like before) and they are pretty much going back to a machine normal machine so it can get Xbox  ports; however, I think it might get caught in a Dreamcast-eque bubble where it is slightly ahead graphically for a year or two and then gets blown away by whatever is next.

Sony is fighting on a lot of fronts and I'm not sure if any are really going to work out.  Yeah everyone likes Uncharted, but it's not going to win over any new converts, 3D is a big investment, Vita is an expensive gamble in a market that could be evaporating with positioning that I don't think has ever been proven to be desirable.

goldkear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By goldkear
    @tooPrime: the dreamcast thing crossed my mind when I saw the initial announcements for a new Nintendo console, the wii was huge for a couple years, but I know a lot of people who let theirs collect dust, and I think Nintendo is maybe jumping the gun releasing a new console already.  

apparently investors didn't like the wii u, since Nintendo's stocks have been dropping the past few days, but I for one am intrigued. In the end I'm most excited about upcoming games, and with my new PC really seeing what my little beast can do. on the hardware side i'm more excited for the wii u than the vita, but I'd probably be more likely to buy a vita, despite my badmouthing it above. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.