Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2011

Concept »

The 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 7-9.

Sony's E3 Press Conference on Monday June 6th at 5PM PST

• 51 results
    TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By TepidShark
    Source here. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this a change from past years where it has been on the Tuesday of E3 week?
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

It won't matter if Sony goes before Microsoft this year.

Kinect reinvented gaming last year, and knowing Microsoft they'll do something bigger this year.  Going first won't make a difference for Sony.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hockeymask27
    @KaosAngel said:
    " It won't matter if Sony goes before Microsoft this year.Kinect reinvented gaming last year, and knowing Microsoft they'll do something bigger this year.  Going first won't make a difference for Sony. "
    You always confuse me. Are paid by sony or not. 
    c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4  Edited By c_rakestraw

They're announcing that stuff already? Dang, they're really looking to get an early start this year.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss

Funny, I kinda thought they would wanna go last so they could get out of the area immediately after announcing the price of the NGP.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

It seems a little early to be talking about E3. I'm not ready for that yet.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By jeff
    @KaosAngel said:
    " It won't matter if Sony goes before Microsoft this year.Kinect reinvented gaming last year, and knowing Microsoft they'll do something bigger this year.  Going first won't make a difference for Sony. "

Way to turn a totally innocuous post into fanboy bullshit. Great contribution.

I'm excited to see Sony going on Monday because it means I'll probably be able to go this year. Over the last couple of years, Sony has clashed with the actual opening of the show, and given the choice between sitting in a crowd and actually heading out to play games, I've always gone directly to the show to start taking appointments. Hopefully the ESA has finally figured this out and won't have press conferences clashing with the opening of the show floor this year.
    TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By TepidShark
    @Jeff:  Yeah that was my thought exactly. It is good for Sony. Do you think Nintendo will move to Monday as well & Ubisoft/EA will be Tuesday?
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jimbo

I hope they show that Last Guardian bird dog monster from a very slightly different angle.  Excitingggg!

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Jeff: No problem good sir.  

I'm just pissed off at Sony for everything they've been doing lately, and the fact that I leave for ROTC in the Air Force this summer for a year just sweetens it.  I like tradition, keep it on Tuesday, and have Nomura show off Versus XIII at the end with a surprise Kingdom Hearts III teaser.  Sony E3 = Success.
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BrickRoad

I feel like there needs to be a big moment from all three this year, frankly. Nintendo need to show some extremely promising titles to keep interest in the Wii alive. Microsoft's Kinect launch games were poor, apart from Dance Central. They need to show Kinect matters, because I'm not sure it does. And Sony's NGP looks cool, but need to prove it's not going down the PSP road - that being 'here's console games that handle not as good and look not as good in the palm of your hand!'.

I'm not sure why, but I always expect something big from Ninty and Sony, and am always left a little flat after their E3's, even if Nintendo showed off the 3DS last year.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Thanks for the info! Now I know when to be at my computer to watch a live stream!

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Grissefar
    @Hockeymask27 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    You always confuse me. Are paid by sony or not.  "
    It's called trolling. And it got him a quote from Jeff, so.. trolling succeeded I guess?
    evildeadron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By evildeadron

interesting move for Sony, pretty exciting to have both of them on monday (along with microsoft),  i just hope the schedule for the other pressers shakes out so that monday afternoon / evening isn't overlapping with EA and Ubisoft

speaking of...i wonder what kind of crazy press event Konami is going to have this year, hard to top last years

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By xyzygy
    @Grissefar said:
    " @Hockeymask27 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    It's called trolling. And it got him a quote from Jeff, so.. trolling succeeded I guess? "
    Well Jeff called him out so maybe he'll smarten up. When a staff member calls you out on bullshit comments then you know you've hit a new low
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SlightConfuse

i guess they want NGp to be the buzz of the convention.

i hope we get some firm release dates out of this

evildeadron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By evildeadron

what i would love to see, is a new console announced for say 2012/13. doesn't matter who it is, Nintendo, Sony, or MS, just any glimpse at the future...maybe even a new or old player getting in on the action, a new Sega console would be insane
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By crusader8463
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Grissefar said:
    " @Hockeymask27 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    It's called trolling. And it got him a quote from Jeff, so.. trolling succeeded I guess? "
    Well Jeff called him out so maybe he'll smarten up. When a staff member calls you out on bullshit comments then you know you've hit a new low "
    That's called logic though, trolls don't have the logic the rest of us do. It just means they will now try that much harder to do it again, or maybe they will think of it as a collectable and try to get a reply from each staff member.
    BooDoug187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BooDoug187

That's all well and good be we all know that Apple's Expo thing that is going on at the same time as E3 will trump all!

Ok, all joking aside, I hope that this year's E3 will be good. No weird  cirque du soleil shit or anything that dumb (then again it did net the crew a nice poncho with a non-working light!)
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
    @BooDoug187 said:
    " That's all well and good be we all know that Apple's Expo thing that is going on at the same time as E3 will trump all!"
    Oh shit, I completely forgot about WWDC and you're completely right.  All the news outlets are going to be on Apple instead of E3 this year.  Who would've guessed that an Apple event would shadow over E3.  I wonder who picked the dates first...I'm guessing Apple picked the date and the E3 crew didn't realize it was during WWDC.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShaneDev

Big NGP stuff no doubt. I personally find Sony conferences to be a bit boring and sale talkey. I suppose thats kinda what its about but I always think they show way to many montages of games where you dont really see anything worth while. I find Microsoft show more uninterrupted game play and trailers and I like that better. 

I do wonder if they are going to talk about the PS2 this year? /jk
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Jeff: No problem good sir.  

I'm just pissed off at Sony for everything they've been doing lately, and the fact that I leave for ROTC in the Air Force this summer for a year just sweetens it.  I like tradition, keep it on Tuesday, and have Nomura show off Versus XIII at the end with a surprise Kingdom Hearts III teaser.  Sony E3 = Success.
    "
    It's very arguable that Kingdom Hearts = success but even so, I don't see it happening.  They'll just keep coming to the PSP and DS, where they're easier to develop and can reach the wider audience..
    I also don't see them showing Versus while they're hyping up XIII-2, especially since they said it won't be out anytime soon and that they'll be going quiet on it soon.

I expect a big focus on the NGP, massive hype for inFamous which will be out a few weeks later and more Move stuff.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Is there nothing sacred left in this world?!

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BigBoss1911
    @evildeadron said:

" what i would love to see, is a new console announced for say 2012/13. doesn't matter who it is, Nintendo, Sony, or MS, just any glimpse at the future...maybe even a new or old player getting in on the action, a new Sega console would be insane "

I dont see a new console coming from Sony for at least 3 or 4 more years. I think Microsoft will be the first of the 3 to announce a new system.
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BigBoss1911

To bad I wont be able to watch these conferences on my TV anymore : /

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KaosAngel

@WinterSnowblind: They are going to have a new teaser for Versus XIII, it's Sony's biggest Japanese exclusive and it's coming from a creator who has an insanely loyal fanbase in both Japan and America.  Sony hyped the fuck out of MGS4 years before it came out and now Versus XIII is the closest thing to that level.  Logic points to a TGS teaser but I think Nomura and/or Sony want to start the hype train on this a year before it comes out, just like MGS4.  

Nomura also said KH3 will be a proper game and not a portable.  Versus XIII is the framework and making KH3 won't take as long as the engine is 102% the same.  V13 just KH without Disney.

EDIT:  Sony fucking knows how important this game is, and I'm willing to bet my ass that they will do everything they can to make sure Nomura gets his way.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fallen189
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @BooDoug187 said:
    " That's all well and good be we all know that Apple's Expo thing that is going on at the same time as E3 will trump all!"
    Oh shit, I completely forgot about WWDC and you're completely right.  All the news outlets are going to be on Apple instead of E3 this year.  Who would've guessed that an Apple event would shadow over E3.  I wonder who picked the dates first...I'm guessing Apple picked the date and the E3 crew didn't realize it was during WWDC. "

No Caption Provided
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KaosAngel

Holy Shit.

What if Apple's WWDC and E3 were during the same week on purpose?!  What if Apple will have gaming news with their Apple TV 3, or that their iOS 5 is built for gaming?  The media would be on that like no tomorrow.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel
    @KaosAngel:  Dude, Jeff called you out.  You're being a fool.  Stop digging the hole before you bury yourself.
    Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Eidderf

I'm hoping for a new Last Guardian trailer, I'm curious to she what surprises they'll have, they've released a couple of big games already this year and a lot of their big exclusives for the rest of the year have already been announced. It would be cool to see a new Jak game or a Kingdom Hearts, perhaps Bungie will show what they are working on at the Sony conference to try and emulate the shock of Valve's appearances last year (though Bungie haven't been denying that their games will appear on the PS3 like Valve was, it would still be weird to see)

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31  Edited By yetiantics

Either KaosAngel is a complete and utter tool, or the rest of you are falling for his trollish posts...

I am disappoint, Jeff.
    choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By choffy21
    @ProfessorEss said:
    "  Funny, I kinda thought they would wanna go last so they could get out of the area immediately after announcing the price of the NGP. "
    If they price it at anything more than $300, we're looking at another failed handheld generation by Sony. That thing can't afford to get off to such a slow start. It needs to come rip-roarin' out of the gates if Sony wants to compete with the 3DS.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SSully
    @choffy21 said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    "  Funny, I kinda thought they would wanna go last so they could get out of the area immediately after announcing the price of the NGP. "
    If they price it at anything more than $300, we're looking at another failed handheld generation by Sony. That thing can't afford to get off to such a slow start. It needs to come rip-roarin' out of the gates if Sony wants to compete with the 3DS. "
    With the tech in that thing I would be surprised if it wasn't 300 or higher. 
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By onarum
    @KaosAngel said:

"Kinect reinvented gaming last year, and knowing Microsoft they'll do something bigger this year"

Thanks for that, I was needing a laugh, and yes, maybe they'll have even more people pretending they're having fun, also perhaps they'll have 2 annoying little girls playing with virtual tigers instead of only one.
    choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By choffy21
    @SSully said:
    " @choffy21 said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    If they price it at anything more than $300, we're looking at another failed handheld generation by Sony. That thing can't afford to get off to such a slow start. It needs to come rip-roarin' out of the gates if Sony wants to compete with the 3DS. "
    With the tech in that thing I would be surprised if it wasn't 300 or higher.  "
    Sony thought the same thing with the PS3. They refused to take a loss with the thing early on, and it basically shot themselves in the foot in the process. We'll see if they learned their lesson.
    Magma_Pear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Magma_Pear

I think this will be a HUGE make or break for Nintendo going forward for this generation. They seem to have lost, or are losing a lot of steam. There seems to a universal perception of some kind of drought for the Wii where games are concerned. But I think that feeling is more of an extension of one that many hardcore gamers have had toward the Wii this generation - the lack of hardcore games. But that is a total misnomer because the Wii has a healthy amount of, if a bit thin count of hardcore titles. But things certainly do seem to have slowed down, and although I'm sure there is no direct correlation, hardware sales have also dropped - but thats keeping in mind that they are still out pacing the competition.

So I'm thinking the time is ripen right around E3 when everyone will be looking to see what Nintendo has planned for the next 12 to 18 months. Wii 2? More Mario / Zelda / Metroid? If the show focuses on things we already know and games for the 3DS - I think someone will need to wake Nintendo up. They seem to be at a tipping point where they'll either seal some sense of total victory this generation - or fall flat near the end of the generation to either the 360 or PS3 - or both.

As for Sony, I'm thinking a little cringing is in order but for only one reason. Playstation Move. The Kinect seems to have car dragged the Move into absolute obscurity. Nobody even mentions it anymore - while the Kinect is ALL OVER the news, sales record this, Kinect Hack that. Anyone seen the recent PBS coverage of Kinect? Apparently the Kinect is on its way to changing the world and the way we live - ooohh ahhhh - who would have thought that while everyone was bashing it? But my guess will be that Sony will show very little, or mention very little about Move - while Microsoft will put Kinect on a pedestal, mention all the hacks, talking about all the cool stuff it's doing in operating rooms in China, etc. - and then show some up coming Kinect games, even XBLA Kinect titles. I cringe for Sony because it seems to me that Microsoft will do nothing this E3 if not shiv Sony in the gut more than a few times over what appears to the catastrophic failure of the Move.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Grissefar said:
    " @Hockeymask27 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    Well Jeff called him out so maybe he'll smarten up. When a staff member calls you out on bullshit comments then you know you've hit a new low "
    If only you knew.

This isn't my PM to post (directed at some other dudes), but I think it needs to put out there.
    No Caption Provided
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SSully
    @choffy21 said:
    " @SSully said:
    " @choffy21 said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    With the tech in that thing I would be surprised if it wasn't 300 or higher.  "
    Sony thought the same thing with the PS3. They refused to take a loss with the thing early on, and it basically shot themselves in the foot in the process. We'll see if they learned their lesson. "
    I really hope that they do, but they have made some very stupid decisions hardware wise, first with the ps3, and then the psp go. I wouldn't be surprised if they failed to realize the danger in releasing such an expensive device.
    Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Faint
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Jeff: No problem good sir.  

"
    Except that we should all be sceptical as to whether either of said titles would be of fair quality after pretty much every game the company has released the past 10 years. That for me is definitely not what Sony should be showing unless Square finally get their act together and revive the JRPG market. More likely we'll just see more trailer footage of Versus XIII, which should be presumed will flop rather than suceed (at least in terms of review) and that they won't announce KH3 as they'll be too busy announcing 3 more spinoffs no one cares about.

Mind you, I wanted to work for this company since I was 9, and now they'd be my last choice.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Faint: Comparing Square to Nomura is bad.  Nomura does his own thing, and it's why Versus XIII isn't multi-platform.  Nomura also has yet to make a bad game, all of the games he has worked on KH, KH2, KHBBS have been great, and Versus XIII is the game he always wanted to make.  

He already confirmed it's going back to the classic roots of having a world map, airships, etc.  As for KH3, he already stated that KH3 is right after V13. KH is Nomura's baby, he wouldn't fuck around with the proper ending to KH.

Trust me, if MS could score Versus XIII they would do everything in their power.  Sony knows Versus XIII is their biggest Japanese title since MGS4, and they are damn lucky Nomura hates the Xbox.
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gaff
    @KaosAngel
    @Jeff: No problem good sir.  

I personally can't wait for that day to come.

E3, always so much fun.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gabriel

If Kingdom Hearts 3 is the biggest game Sony announces I'm buying an Xbox. 

pdiddy1047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pdiddy1047

I'm hoping to see more of Twisted Metal, I've seen so little of it, it's hard to tell what I think about it yet.  If it turns out well, between that and Mortal Kombat, it will be like reliving the early 90's all over again... Awesome.    

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By hockeymask27
    @Snapstacle said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @Grissefar said:
    " @Hockeymask27 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    If only you knew.

This isn't my PM to post (directed at some other dudes), but I think it needs to put out there.
    No Caption Provided
    "
    good to know. Never noticed before. It was just confusing someone who once called gt5 the greatest game ever bashing Sony that all.
    stay classy giantbomb.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By xyzygy
    @Snapstacle: I'm fairly certain I know which incident that PM is from anyway. I might even know who it was sent too, too :P
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By Rhaknar

oh E3 is early june this year? thought it would be mid-late, thats cool. sneaking up on us isnt it, bit over a month to go. Sony going first is cool to chnge shit up a bit, it was getting boring the last few years, hopefully they will have salot on the NGP because i´m actually excited about it
    Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Faint
    @KaosAngel:  You seem to be forgetting that he works on most of their titles, just not as the lead producer like he does on Kingdom Hearts (usually as a concept artist). I remember when playing FF13 at one point that all I could think about was how stale and generic Nomura's character designs had become. Personally I think part of Square-Enix's problems is associated with them not letting others in the company beyond the core producer team come up with some fresh ideas, because clearly the guys who are making the decisions are coming up with a lot of blanks and stale ideas. Don't get me wrong, like I said, I wanted to work for these guys since I was a kid. I'm a massive FF10 mark, and a big fan of KH1 and 2. I just wish Square would sort their shit out because they don't really seem to have a clue. I hope Versus is good, but considering how long they've been working on it, if it's just another 'good' game out on the market, it won't be worth a whole lot, when companies like Bioware are busting out Mass Effect 3 only two years after 2. Anyways, back to the original argument I was making - people made all sorts of 'negative' sounds when they announced FF14 at one of the past Sony press conferences, before 13 was even out. It's fair to say that Square's games right now do not have as much draw as they used to, as they are no longer the kings of console games design like they were back in the PS1 days. It shits me too. As someone who loves a good JRPG, there have been no absolutely outstanding ones this generation. It really sucks. Even more reason for Square to suck it up that the people at the top are not doing the business. You know something is wrong when they announce FF13-2 and JRPG fans such as myself are completely unexcited and uninterested.
    wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#48  Edited By wwfundertaker

Date marked on my calender.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Faint: Comparing Square to Nomura is bad.  Nomura does his own thing, and it's why Versus XIII isn't multi-platform.  Nomura also has yet to make a bad game, all of the games he has worked on KH, KH2, KHBBS have been great, and Versus XIII is the game he always wanted to make.  He already confirmed it's going back to the classic roots of having a world map, airships, etc.  As for KH3, he already stated that KH3 is right after V13. KH is Nomura's baby, he wouldn't fuck around with the proper ending to KH.Trust me, if MS could score Versus XIII they would do everything in their power.  Sony knows Versus XIII is their biggest Japanese title since MGS4, and they are damn lucky Nomura hates the Xbox. "
    Having airships and world maps return to Final Fantasy would be a great step in the right direction..  but it's hardly the only issue with the recent games.  I take much more of an issue with the utterly bland world, melodramatic story and frikken god awful characters/character development.  I don't see Versus or a new Kingdom Hearts games fixing either of these problems, especially while Nomura is in charge and is adamant about doing things his way.  

I like forward to seeing what Sony do announce it E3, but as others have said..  anything involving Final Fantasy is not something I want to see, the franchise is approaching Sonic the Hedgehog levels of mediocrity.
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DeF

Isn't 5PM also quite late in the day compared to previous years?

even Microsoft's Monday slot has always been before or around lunch time. Now I'll have to stay up late to catch the livestream (-> Germany says hi ^^)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.