Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2011

Concept »

The 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 7-9.

What happened to the glory days of G4?

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jayross

Once a year, like clockwork every June, I would watch G4 for a few days. This was not because I wanted to see the latest Attack of the Show, nor was it to see Olivia Munn do whatever, nor was it for their dumb cop show or whatever.

I did it for E3.

It was great being able to watch all of the E3 coverage on my big screen in HD. What happened to those days? Now, the coverage is divided into live-streams, and, if we are lucky, Spike might air some of the conferences.

What happened, G4?

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Caligula

agreed. the best part was their coverage of E3 and Comicon. but they seemed to have dropped the only valuable idea they were carrying.

ASpaceSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ASpaceSeaman

They used to have the entire conferences on repeat for hours...It was great.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By BonOrbitz
    @Jayross said:
    Once a year, like clockwork every June, I would watch G4 for a few days. This was not because I wanted to see the latest Attack of the Show, nor was it to see Olivia Munn do whatever, nor was it for their dumb cop show or whatever. I did it for E3. It was great being able to watch all of the E3 coverage on my big screen in HD. What happened to those days? Now, the coverage is divided into live-streams, and, if we are lucky, Spike might air some of the conferences. What happened, G4?
    I don't understand. Last year G4 had 4 days of live coverage. I thought they're doing the same this year. Did I miss something or will I still have to clear off my DVR for E3?
    greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By greenygrey

I miss the old days of G4, when it was a channel dedicated to gaming instead of being a blatant SpikeTV knock-off.
    Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Toxin066

I do the same - I tune in for the E3 coverage with my laptop next to me so I can furiously refresh my gaming sites. I haven't paid much attention to the channel. Are you telling me they aren't going to be doing press conference live streaming, or what?

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By CenturionCajun

Yeah, I can remember when I was in college about six years ago and G4 was nothing but X-Play, shows about game cheat codes, current tech, and things like that. This was back around the time they merged with Tech TV. It was amazing. My roommate and me would leave it on G4 for background noise almost all day long. Then a couple of years ago they brought in a new CEO that tried to make the network more guy focused ala Spike TV. That's when we got The Man Show, Cops, Star Trek and random action movies. They also got rid of all of the tech people who had been there for years and replaced them with attractive talking heads who had the personality of a house plant. 

At this point I don't pay any attention to G4 and with Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb being promoted to more supervisor positions and Klepeck being here at Giant Bomb I don't think I ever will again. It's a real shame. At least I'll always have those fond memories.

EDIT: I just remembered the perfect example of the fall of G4. A couple years back they were at one of the big three's conferences at E3 and were cutting to commercial right before a major games trailer player. You could audibly here Adam in the background pleading with them not to cut away. Heartbreaking.

oroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oroboros

G4 died a long, long time ago, Jayross.

I'm just glad I was there at the beginning ... when it was genuine, passionate, inventive ... which wasn't for long ... two years max ... I saw about 1 of those 2 years.

Ever since Scot left, Comcast bailed, and TechTV merged ... it's been downhill ever since.  Sure, AOTS, I guess, and X-Play aren't too bad.  But the rest of that channel when to bloody hell.

I watch Judgment Day (Reviews on the Run) online now.  It's all that's left.

chrisz2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chrisz2006

Cops became popular and so did Ninja Warrior and took over and now all the gaming shows are gone basically except attack of the show.

StrawHatLaw13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StrawHatLaw13
    @CenturionCajun said:
     EDIT: I just remembered the perfect example of the fall of G4. A couple years back they were at one of the big three's conferences at E3 and were cutting to commercial right before a major games trailer player. You could audibly here Adam in the background pleading with them not to cut away. Heartbreaking.
    That's really sad.
    kotetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kotetsu

Maybe JUST maybe if they brought back Screen Savers, with the original crew, I may look into getting the channel. Ever since the merge or whatever the fuck happened I totally lost interest. I won't keep the channel for X-play since i can get all my gaming stuff elsewhere.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @greenygrey said:
    I miss the old days of G4, when it was a channel dedicated to gaming instead of being a blatant SpikeTV knock-off.
    Agreed. It used to have legitimately good TV shows, but now it's an incredibly sad shell of it's former self. I mean they went from having an amazing awards show with devs, celebrities, exclusive revelas, live music, and much more to an hour long episode of X-Play that's indistinguishable from any other episode.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

G4 had "glory days"? News to me.  

I stopped watching when Sarah Lane left, as she was pretty much the only person left over from the ZDTV and TechTV era. Those were glory days. 

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RedRoach

Wait so I can't get the conferences on g4 this year? It's gonna be a bitch to navigate through gamespot to get to the archived video without having it spoiled.

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TJ311

G4 was the reason I am into video games as much as i am now. I have always played them but never followed and played the big games until G4. and right around E3 time I would get so excited to see the new games and knowing that I live half an hour away was even more exciting. Now its just terrible. they need to go back to what made them popular in the first place, VIDEO GAMES! not people throwing up... 

thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thebobster10

Even G4 's coverage of E3 isn't all that great. Except for the fact that they show the press conferences without commercial interruption. However I remember the first year that they showed the conferences on TV a few years ago, they took a commercial break during a big announcement. I think it was Halo Reach. I forget but it was hilarious. Because right during the middle of the conference, Adam Sessler had to embarrassingly whisper into his microphone that they were going to commercial break. I laughed my ass off.

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By Bigheart711
    @Soapy86 said:
    G4 had "glory days"? News to me.
    Pretty much this.
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Vonocourt

Yeah, G4 was pretty much always trash. It got a bit better when it ate TechTv(which was grand), but it was only temporary.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only good show on G4 ever was called Icons it was like behind the music but about videogames. I didn't even get the channel back then when I did get the network it already was shit filled with cops and cheaters.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glory Days? G4 was and still is a joke.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.