Why does the crew get so angry about E3?

• 65 results
#51 Edited by YetiAntics (1491 posts) -

It's work, It's a job. Trying to cover all the conferences, trying to cover the floor, getting in 3-4 hour lines just to see a game, you tell me you wouldnt be upset being a game journalist? Especially having a website where thousands or more people visit everyday? waiting for information and expect you to provide it?

Most of you guys see E3 as a vacation. and yes, i bet going to E3 would be great to attend if you were just a fan of gaming and have no responsibilities associated. But if you work for a big gaming website. Be ready to work.

I fully understand what the guys are going through and don't blame them one bit for complaining about E3. It sounds like a chore fully covering that show. and what you get from the Bomb crew are REAL TALK, its not all sunshine and candy like most publications make it out to be.

#52 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Where are the booth babes and schwag when I have to go to trade shows about the latest advances in adhesives, paint, plaster or other such that I might have to make orders for?

#53 Edited by Maelstrom (38 posts) -

Game journalists complained about the circus atmosphere several years ago and then E3 was eventually scaled back so that the press and retail outlets could have easy access to upcoming games and developer interviews in peace and quiet.  

Game journalists then complained about how "dead" E3 felt and that it had lost its excitement. They almost universally deemed E3 dying or officially dead.  Then E3 went back to the crazy circus setup of old a few years ago. Guess what? 

Game journalists are STILL complaining about how loud and obnoxious it is to get to their appointments and how the show should be exclusionary to everyone except the journalists even though these same exact hypocrites blasted the show when it was scaled back and easy to get work done in a timely manner. These fucking game journalists will bitch and moan about absolutely everything so I have learned to tune out their crying when E3 rolls around.

Maybe those guys wouldn't be quite so tired each day there if they didn't go on 5 hour binges every night and have a hangover each successive morning. They should learn that they are at E3 to cover games, not to party like its 1999 if it is going to affect their performance.

#54 Posted by Nate_is_my_fake_name (133 posts) -
@TeflonBilly said:

Oh yeah, fuck STephen Spielberg, JJ Abrams and that dude from Chuck for being there as well unless they were to be involved with any games or having any meetings.

Spielberg especially, bringing his fucking brat along.

Exactly.  Or all the musicians there...E3 is an "industry event" in name only.
#55 Posted by HAMMERCLAW (298 posts) -

Actually, only a handfull of journalists and participants complain about E3, the inevitable small percentage that always does. Most of the others find it quite normal and jolly good fun.
#56 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

The Giant Bomb crew in particular wasn't among the overly enthused with the return to bombastic that E3 did a few years ago.

I remember when Gamespot was at it's apex they had that huge standing set with big-ass pics of Jeff's face next to the Nintendo booth or something.

#57 Posted by Nate_is_my_fake_name (133 posts) -
@Maelstrom said:
  Maybe those guys wouldn't be quite so tired each day there if they didn't go on 5 hour binges every night and have a hangover each successive morning. They should learn that they are at E3 to cover games, not to party like its 1999 if it is going to affect their performance.
I think you nailed it with this comment.  Having appointment after appointment and dealing with moving through huge crowds is part of their job there, but doing a 4 hour podcast while drinking every night?  That's all on them.  It's bitching about first world problems.
#58 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5303 posts) -
@SpaceInsomniac said:

Maybe I misunderstood things, but the impression that I got was that Jeff was mad at JOURNALISTS who wanted free crap, not fans.  Some dumbass runs a gaming blog where he rates everything between a 7.5 and a 9.9, he's supposed to have some integrity, and spends more time at E3 collecting free shit than looking at games.   It's the "enthusiast press" that I believe Jeff has issues with, not so much a random fan who happens to get tickets to what is, primarily, a trade show. 

I think this post is correct.

I also believe all the people spouting elitist don't have a fucking clue about what they are talking about.
#59 Posted by Khadyn (228 posts) -

@Twazuk said:

Because for the press, E3 can be a very stressful time, so they need some one to relieve stress upon. And seeing a bunch of guys clamoring to get free shit just to pawn on eBay is depressing.

Those kinds of people shouldn't be there.

Edit: Also, they host Pax for those people. E3 isn't Pax.

This...

#60 Posted by HAMMERCLAW (298 posts) -

There must be a lot of local yokels who crash the party--I can't believe anyone would fly in from London, New York or Sidney, just for free t-shirts and trinkets.
#61 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1335 posts) -

I love how they bitch about all the work they had to do, but in the end, what content did we get? 

We got 3 wrap-ups and 3 podcasts and maybe 3 or 4 interviews.  

No write-ups, no more interviews, no booth tours. 

They said a bunch more content was comin. That was 3 weeks ago. 

Food for thought.

#62 Posted by DeeGee (2140 posts) -

@billnyethesciencepie said:

I love how they bitch about all the work they had to do, but in the end, what content did we get? We got 3 wrap-ups and 3 podcasts and maybe 3 or 4 interviews. No write-ups, no more interviews, no booth tours. They said a bunch more content was comin. That was 3 weeks ago. Food for thought.

We got over 16 hours worth of content. That's enough for me.

#63 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1148 posts) -

@SpaceInsomniac said:

E3 is a trade show, which means that it's to be attended by people who work in that specific trade. That is the intent of the organizers who run the show. It's no more elitist than you not being allowed in the walmart break room.

This.

It's because they have a lot of work to do and some jackass who thinks he should be there because WOO VIDEO GAMEZ means longer lines and more crowded booths.

Sure, everybody would like to go see a trade show pertaining to their hobby, but the people trying to get work done there don't appreciate you making their jobs harder when you're not even technically supposed to be there. You wouldn't get mad if you crashed a stranger's party, drank all their liquor, and then they asked you to leave.

If you really want to be at a gaming convention, go to one of the ones that are actually open to the public, and stop bitching about how you're not allowed to freeload.

#64 Posted by PufferFiz (1379 posts) -

can't you be in the industry and still be a enthusiast?

though getting excited over free stuff is dumb.

#65 Posted by Ramone (2975 posts) -

@billnyethesciencepie said:

I love how they bitch about all the work they had to do, but in the end, what content did we get? We got 3 wrap-ups and 3 podcasts and maybe 3 or 4 interviews. No write-ups, no more interviews, no booth tours. They said a bunch more content was comin. That was 3 weeks ago. Food for thought.

Talk about spoilt. Also it was actually ten interviews and quite a lot of write-ups.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.