Am I the only one who liked the Microsoft Press Conference

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by moffattron9000 (352 posts) -

Admittedly it wasn't perfect but in terms of actual games on display for me at least they did bring some good stuff, plus they had smartglass that could potentially change the company into something completely different in the future. Also Sony and EA for me at least while having some good stuff felt like they played it too safe (except for lack of Vita that has me very concerned). Admittedly nobody can compete with the lady-boner that was Ubisoft but I don't feel like Microsoft was worst this year and I guess I want to know if i'm the only one thinking this.

#2 Posted by believer258 (11785 posts) -

They had some Halo gameplay and a bunch of Kinect and sports stuff. And Usher.

That is incredibly dissatisfying to me.

#3 Edited by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Usually I make fun of the "i"m I the only one" topics because its impossible. However in this case yes. I didn't hate it but I didn't like it either.

#4 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -
@Hockeymask27 said:

Usually I make fun of the "i"m I the only one" topics because its impossible. However in this case yes.

I was going to say exactly the same thing.

Yes you are the only one.
#5 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

Green username : Check.

Microsoft was the worst conference thus far, without a shadow of a doubt.

#6 Posted by Kedi2 (246 posts) -

I thought it was eh. I liked what I saw of Halo, Splinter Cell, and Tomb Raider, but the rest was disappointing and underwhelming. Best part was the South Park guys making fun of the conference imo.

#7 Posted by Dixavd (1344 posts) -

It was by far the worst. Their biggest announcement of SmartGlass was a massive disappointment as it doesn't do anything except being a glorified mouse for the internet.

The best part was the South Park guys appearing.

This conference was nowhere near the worst I have ever seen. But it just screams of a confference at the end of a console cycle without revealing the next one. It was predictable and disappointing, but it did have some good parts (like the Halo demo). I didn't hate it, but it was still lackluster.

#8 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@Hockeymask27 said:

Usually I make fun of the "i"m I the only one" topics because its impossible. However in this case yes. I didn't hate it but I didn't like it either.

I was going to say that.

#9 Posted by corpulateguitar@gmail.com (38 posts) -

i guess at this point i really dont care who "wins" because i just fucking love video games so yeah.

#10 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

The South Park guys and the Halo 4 footage were about the only things worth remembering from this press conference.

#11 Edited by ez123 (1956 posts) -

I don't think it was as bad as EA but it was still bad. The South Park moment was great, it made me wish I still liked that show.

Forgot about the pinned conference thread, so yeah this is gonna get locked.

#12 Posted by triviaman09 (799 posts) -

They showed a lot of cool games but still managed to make it feel not about the games with things like a damn Usher concert in the middle of it. It wasn't bad at all though.

#13 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (498 posts) -

You are definitely the only one.

#14 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

It was the worst; which made the simply amazing burn from Trey Parker all the sweeter.

So it's also kinda the best.

#15 Edited by Illuminosopher (321 posts) -

I thought it was terrible. To much time spent talking about sentient glass,apps and games I care nothing about.

#16 Posted by MacEG (253 posts) -

You're not the only one.

EA was just the worst.

I think MS had a better tech showing and they seem to be following their whole xbox 360 bit they did a few years ago. "360 because it's all around you. ALL AROUND YOU!!!!" I finally feel like they're getting back to that.

Sony had a better showing of games. Halo 4 was really impressive for MS but The Last of Us was just.... I need to get a PS3 now. That game makes me feel the need to get a PS3.

#17 Posted by Danteveli (1174 posts) -

The conference was pretty bad. It got me sleepy and thats kinda fail in my book.

#18 Posted by CheapPoison (727 posts) -

resounding yup.

#19 Posted by GS_Dan (1403 posts) -

It was way better than last year and the year before, at least.

#20 Posted by Drebin_893 (2909 posts) -

It was a fucking joke.

#21 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I didn't think it was bad.

#22 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1240 posts) -

Yes you are

#23 Edited by EXTomar (4670 posts) -

Every year, someone asks this where I wonder if there is a some sort of psychological complex that identifies the compulsion.

In general, Microsoft has the weaker of the "big 3" showings. It isn't that Microsoft isn't announcing exciting stuff but their stage stuff is always a bit weird where they feature nervous, inappropriate speakers or they go to the other extreme with clearly paid actors. Basically Microsoft usually lacks an authentic exciting presentation.

#24 Posted by jewunit (1056 posts) -

It wasn't a terrible conference, but it was rather vanilla. I am interested in the Summer of Arcade titles, but they are not the stars of the show. The companies tries to show off a big swath of their AAA titles and Microsoft did so. It just happens that those titles were known quantities and the games shown were not big surprises. It wasn't an exciting conference, but it's some kind of death knell for the company.

#25 Posted by NegativeCero (2995 posts) -

It was awful. The equivalent of that one Nintendo conference where they showed Wii Music and no actual games.

#26 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Yes it was pathetic. Half of that stuff should be at CES. Ubisoft by far the best conference

#27 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

I thought it was great at getting media attention. Do you think Yahoo and MSNBC will be writing stories about Watch_Dog or Smart Glass and Nike Kinect product?

There is no real reason to unveil huge games at E3 anymore, look at Sony they announced battle royal and GOW a month before E3. Why not wait? Because E3 isn't that big of a deal.

#28 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

The conference was frankly disappointing more than anything. It looked promising at the beginning with Halo 4 being shown then pretty much dive bombed from there. Too much focus on why we should buy a 360 to browse the web through our TV using our Smartphones and not enough time spent promoting why we should buy a 360 to play games on or why we should consider resubscribing or continuing to subscribe to Xbox Live for games. I understand Kinect is a big thing for Microsoft but the conference pretty much confirmed that all it seems to be good for is sports and fitness related games, even the voice command stuff seemed somewhat dull and diluted. You can give voice commands in Fifa 13, cool...now why did no one opt to try and integrate motion capture so you could actually play a game using Kinect?

#29 Posted by yoshisaur (2701 posts) -

@moffattron9000 said:

Admittedly it wasn't perfect but in terms of actual games on display for me at least they did bring some good stuff, plus they had smartglass that could potentially change the company into something completely different in the future. Also Sony and EA for me at least while having some good stuff felt like they played it too safe (except for lack of Vita that has me very concerned). Admittedly nobody can compete with the lady-boner that was Ubisoft but I don't feel like Microsoft was worst this year and I guess I want to know if i'm the only one thinking this.

I thought it had some cool stuff.

#30 Posted by Balex1908 (143 posts) -

Starting the conference with a big lie (number 1 console in the world) and having the exact same 3 exclusives that you had for the last 4 years does not make for a good conference.

#31 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

I was surprised that it didn't go well at all... as I expected better from Microsoft, and I don't even have a 360! EA always disappoints me... Sony did really well, and hopefully Nintendo will do good too. Ubisoft's really done great this year, and they exceeded expectations. Rayman Legends looks great! I don't wish any ill will towards any video game company, so it's really a shame that some companies didn't really bring it on this year as they could of done much better. I believe that last years E3 conferences were definitely better than this years by a mile.

#32 Posted by Jolt92 (1551 posts) -

It was horrible. Halo looked really cool, South Park looked great, Tomb Raider too but it wasn't really anything new since the last time you saw it I guess. And that was it.

Gears of War was a missed oppurtunity should've shown some of that. Pretty bad conference, UbiSoft is the best so far, but being me, Nintendo will probably top that if things don't go like 2008.

#33 Posted by Positrark (316 posts) -

It was pretty mediocre. I still think EA was worse, but the large focus on Kinect and Media (most of which won't work outside America) combined with all the big exclusives being the fourth sequel in a run and gun driven franchise, really hurt them IMO. I don't own a 360 and usually there is some game at their conference that really makes me want to buy one. This year I never felt that, which was a little sad, because even though I own a Playstation 3, I have nothing against Microsoft. I just want to see great innovative games from all the press conferences, and it's hard to say Microsoft delivered in that regard this year.

#34 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

yes

#35 Posted by SockLobster (456 posts) -

The thing is it wasn't even laughably bad, it was just fucking boring as hell. The Resident Evil 6 stuff was cool, but I already want that. Then they ended it in the worst way imaginable, with "EXCLUSIVE" footage of a multiplatform game, consisting solely of on-rails shooting. "THE COMPUTER WILL DO MOST OF THE WORK FOR YA" - Call of Duty: Black 2 The Future.

#36 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

It was bad, but it wasn't even the funny trainwreck kind of bad..It was just dull as hell most of the time.

#37 Edited by Irvandus (2876 posts) -

It was better than last year but not by much. Halo was nice I guess, Call of Duty would have been a nice way to round out except for that demo was so boring to watch and went on for so god damn long.

#38 Posted by i8246i (119 posts) -

@moffattron9000 said:

Yes. The show was bad and you should feel bad for liking it.

Every single "reveal" in that crapfest could have been better told in a text-only press release. Later on, they could have just slapped the Halo 4 trailer on YouTube.

And then, just when you thought you had hit rock bottom...

Usher pops out with shovel and pickaxe in hand.

#39 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

You're totally the only one. You are The One, bro. congrats.

#40 Edited by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

So Xbox Smart Glass is the number 2 searched term on Yahoo. I think their Press Conference went pretty well.

#41 Posted by Castiel (2572 posts) -

Yes the only one in the whole wide world.

#42 Posted by BaneFireLord (2920 posts) -

I liked it better than EA's and better than last year's show. It still wasn't very good, but I didn't hate it by any stretch. The BLOPS blue balling at the end was pretty awful, though.

#43 Posted by Ares42 (2619 posts) -

Not to sound too hyperbolic, but it sorta made me question why I bought an XboX recently. There just wasn't a single game demo that excited me and I really don't get why anyone would think the smartglass is a good idea. There seems to be some fad going on in like upper-middle-class America with all this smartphone/tablet stuff. Even if I had one of the devices I don't get why I would want anything going on on them while I was watching a movie or playing a game. Why would you want to look away from the screen with the main attraction ? How can my experience be enhanced by looking at something else and missing what's actually going on ? They seem to be jumping on the Wii U band-wagon (afraid of missing out again I guess), but are completely misguided as the only real application for the second screen is local multiplayer.

But to come back to the games. I guess it's pretty much either you like "the XboX games" or you don't. Having discovered that I don't really enjoy CoD or Halo, my XboX just seems sorta useless.

#44 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

It was kinda crappy in some places, but I'd give it a ''meh'' overall.

Halo 4 was cool, so was Splinter Cell and I love South Park and Matt and Trey were awesome but Microsoft spent too much time talking about the smartglass thing, TV channels and useless crap like that and they had Usher preforming. They should of shown some Forza or Gears gameplay.

#45 Posted by ProfessorEss (7318 posts) -
@corpulateguitar@gmail.com said:

i guess at this point i really dont care who "wins" because i just fucking love video games so yeah.

Yeah I'm with you. Maybe it's just me but I find all the conferences have been growing more and more boring with each passing year. On top of that "winning" best E3 press conference has proven year after to year to have little to no effect on the overall success of that company or the quality of their offering. I mean how many comments did I read regarding how Sony won E3 2009 hands down because of the announcement of The Last Guardian? And here we are mid-2012 with that game still no where in sight.

I consider MS's conference a subjective flop because it didn't surprise me or speak much to my interests. But with that being the measure I use to judge press conference quality I would say Sony's was a flop too. And Nintendo has flopped every year since the N64 days. 
#46 Posted by FreakAche (2951 posts) -

The tablet thing could be potentially interesting, and something new from Twisted Pixel is always cool, but other than that, there just wasn't anything interesting shown.

#47 Posted by MoronBhndWheel (8 posts) -

@ProfessorEss said:

@corpulateguitar@gmail.com said:

Yeah I'm with you. Maybe it's just me but I find all the conferences have been growing more and more boring with each passing year. On top of that "winning" best E3 press conference has proven year after to year to have little to no effect on the overall success of that company or the quality of their offering. I mean how many comments did I read regarding how Sony won E3 2009 hands down because of the announcement of The Last Guardian? And here we are mid-2012 with that game still no where in sight. I consider MS's conference a subjective flop because it didn't surprise me or speak much to my interests. But with that being the measure I use to judge press conference quality I would say Sony's was a flop too. And Nintendo has flopped every year since the N64 days.

I agree, how many years now has Sony "won" e3 and still are last place this generation. I am tired of the god of war games, and i never liked heavy rain (really tired of quick time bull). Love Naughty dog and really liked the presentation for The Last of Us. Microsoft's was good for me, but nothing unexpected, which is what i was expecting.

#48 Posted by Brendan (7752 posts) -

@Hockeymask27 said:

Exactly this. This time, for the first time in history, you were the only one.

#49 Edited by GTCknight (693 posts) -

@moffattron9000: To be honest, they made a lot of mistakes. For one COD: Blackops 2 was given the honor of being the last game shown, and after having seen the Halo 4 demo I was more impressed by Halo more than COD. Secondly, they showed way too few games and focused more on their whole "Lets get everything connected to each other!" stuff. The Gears trailer was alright but, really bad timing to come out with something like that. South Park looked great. Now the thing to remember is in the past South Park games usually have been horrible. Splinter cell was fine, just I for one have been straight-up done with that series. And if I remember correctly wasn't it the Microsoft Press Conference that wasted multiple minutes of time just so Usher could sing and dance on stage.

If your asking me for some kind of grading, then I'll just go with 7.5. There were some great games shown however, most of them were shown again in either EA or Ubisoft. Also the choices made concerning the timing of when each game should be revealed was terrible.

#50 Edited by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

Like I said in another thread, I think MS had the right idea. This console gen is winding down so why not emphasize the bigger picture? They still showed off their headline titles, few as they were. Sure, Sony showed some games, but their conference was meaningless for those who don't already own a PS3. Who would be foolish enough to spend $300 on a console at this point when the next big thing is just around the corner? It doesn't make sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.