Giant Bomb, please do not cover E3 this year.

• 70 results
#1 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

Sony, Nintendo, and EA have publicly announced that they do not support SOPA. However, one company that runs E3 is still in support of it. That company is the ESA and as long as ESA is still funded by these video game companies, then these video game companies are still in support of SOPA and PIPA. If no one covers E3 as an anti-SOPA/PIPA movement, then this will put a big hit on the ESA.

So please Giant Bomb. Do not cover E3. Show your support against this movement against SOPA and PIPA.

#2 Posted by Animasta (14643 posts) -

shut up, this is like the 5th topic on this I've seen today

#3 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I like to read about new videogames.

#4 Posted by Animasta (14643 posts) -

@TentPole said:

I like to read about new videogames.

FUCK YOU SOPA CAPITALIST PIG DOG

#5 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@Animasta said:

shut up, this is like the 5th topic on this I've seen today

Wow. Ok... ok. Settle down. Just let a moderator know. There's really no need for all of the hate.

#6 Posted by JayDee (439 posts) -

lol

#7 Posted by ajamafalous (11823 posts) -
@JayDee said:

lol

#8 Posted by YoThatLimp (1877 posts) -

The problem is the ESA. Publishers should stand up and force the ESA to change their policy. Giantbomb's bottom line shouldn't be hurt just to make a point. Giantbomb is not a small site, but it is a far cry from the mega sites like Gamespot/IGN. I am guessing E3 coverage brings a lot of traffic.

#9 Posted by mortal_sb (516 posts) -

@YoThatLimp said:

The problem is the ESA. Publishers should stand up and force the ESA to change their policy. Giantbomb's bottom line shouldn't be hurt just to make a point. Giantbomb is not a small site, but it is a far cry from the mega sites like Gamespot/IGN. I am guessing E3 coverage brings a lot of traffic.

this. giant bomb isn't ign or gameinformer. they need the e3. i need the giant bomb. it's a win win. (also: i can't stand hearing the words "SOPA" and "PIPA" anymore, even as a non american. it's an important issue but man it is annoying.)

#10 Posted by NakAttack (1289 posts) -

game companies need to protest, not games journalism.

#11 Posted by byterunner (298 posts) -

@NakAttack: Yes, but if EVERYONE pitched in with protesting ESA, it would be a lot better.

#12 Posted by NakAttack (1289 posts) -

@byterunner: True, but Game companies can always show/announce their new whateverthefuck, while game journalists lose money and content by not showing up. as you said, if everyone pitched it would be better, but Compainies have less riding on e3 than journalists do.

#13 Posted by Lone_f (281 posts) -

Cosign.

#14 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

The website exists to make money not to do what is right.

#15 Posted by byterunner (298 posts) -

@NakAttack: I disagree, many companies use E3 as a major media blow out for there games. I believe that many companies would have issue with not having any exposure at e3 since almost all there biggest games are going to be there. Demos, announcements, release dates, etc. Are almost always around e3 and with no coverage from game sites like GB, than this could be a major issue for many publishers to get their game out to the public.

#16 Posted by selbie (1835 posts) -

Fuck politics, I want to see the new consoles.

#17 Posted by iFail (236 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle: Sure. I dunno if you were here when Giantbomb started up, but at that point, it definitely did not make money. Even now, as a relatively young startup, Giantbomb likely isn't making tons of dosh. You don't start a company in this economy to make cash, and Giantbomb has been very lucky to have whiskey media backing it. Considering that SOPA and PIPA will pretty much fuck over e-commerce, and that Giantbomb does internet games journalism, I'd hope that we'd be willing to do whatever we can to stop it, instead of worrying about game news that will get announced any-fucking-way.

#18 Edited by Doctorchimp (4067 posts) -

TC if you think you can deny me another award winning E3 live cast....you have another thing coming....

#19 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

LOL @this thread.

#20 Posted by ick_bop (110 posts) -

Journalists don't create news, they report it.

#21 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

Stop, people. Just stop.

#22 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

Wow that guy with the shitty beard is REALLY bad at making it look like he is not reading everything he is saying.

#23 Posted by moffattron9000 (351 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: I will give up one year of amazing E3 coverage if it means many more years of amazing coverage especially if it means more power in the coverage

#24 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

SOPA's dead. I wanna hear the news.

#25 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

Microsoft oppose SOPA, can we still cover their stuff?

#26 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

I can't believe most of you people. Yes, hearing about SOPA and PIPA can get annoying, but you have to realize that this is a serious deal that can affect the entire world if passed. Yes, SOPA is currently on hold, but that is until next month I believe. Yes, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, and EA said that they don not support SOPA, but as long as they pay money into the ESA then that is showing support for SOPA.

There's a lot at stake here, everyone. There's a possibility that someone from Japan, Sweden, Britain, Canada, etc. could be extradited to the US just for posting a link to something that is considered copyright infringement. And everyone knows that there's enough greedy ass holes in the US to literally claim that the smallest piece of work in copyrighted material.

#27 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@Barrock said:

SOPA's dead. I wanna hear the news.

SOPA is not dead. It's on hold until, I believe, next month.

@WinterSnowblind said:

Microsoft oppose SOPA, can we still cover their stuff?

As long as the ESA still supports SOPA and PIPA, and as long as Microsoft is paying money into the ESA, then no one should cover their stuff.

#28 Posted by Anupsis (282 posts) -

You took the words right out of my mouth.

#29 Edited by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

You are asking a gaming website to not cover the biggest gaming trade show of the year.

That's like asking someone to put on a suit made of steaks and walk into a cage with a hungry tiger: it's stupid.

@iFail said:

@artgarcrunkle: Sure. I dunno if you were here when Giantbomb started up, but at that point, it definitely did not make money. Even now, as a relatively young startup, Giantbomb likely isn't making tons of dosh. You don't start a company in this economy to make cash, and Giantbomb has been very lucky to have whiskey media backing it. Considering that SOPA and PIPA will pretty much fuck over e-commerce, and that Giantbomb does internet games journalism, I'd hope that we'd be willing to do whatever we can to stop it, instead of worrying about game news that will get announced any-fucking-way.

Giant Bomb has to be making some kind of money if Jeff can blow money away on shit like Star Trek Online lifetime subscriptions and everything that Skylanders offers without thinking twice about it!

#30 Posted by Hailinel (23698 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

You are asking a gaming website to not cover the biggest gaming trade show of the year.

That's like asking someone to put on a suit made of steaks and walk into a cage with a hungry tiger: it's stupid.

@iFail said:

Giant Bomb has to be making some kind of money if Jeff can blow money away on shit like Star Trek Online lifetime subscriptions and everything that Skylanders offers without thinking twice about it!

There's a difference between salary and profit. You can still be paid a healthy salary while a company is breaking even or in the red.

#31 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

Please do, otherwise I have to go to another site to get my fix.

#32 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4907 posts) -

Giant Bomb, please do cover E3 this year.

Fixed.

#33 Posted by Village_Guy (2484 posts) -

If you want to fight SOPA and PIPA through boycotting E3 then you should go to the developers and publishers. The ESA won't care about a few websites not covering E3 - but if big publishers said no, then that would have an impact - but alas that won't happen.

#34 Posted by Alkaiser (358 posts) -

I would miss the podcasts covering E3. The part where I get shown tiny clips of games that I'm supposed to salivate over that won't come out for 2-4 years? Eh, I really don't pay attention to a game until its just about to come out. Like, within a month.

#35 Posted by N7 (3572 posts) -

Because Giant Bomb is suddenly a political platform and not a website about video games.

Take this angst to livejournal.

#36 Posted by Inkerman (1448 posts) -

How about they just wear t-shirts denouncing SOPA around E3? It would be kind of funny and we'd still get the news. This assumes that the guys even really care that much.

#37 Posted by FreakAche (2948 posts) -

Reddit is that way.

#38 Posted by alternate (2679 posts) -

@NakAttack: Yes, but if EVERYONE pitched in with protesting ESA, it would be a lot better.

IGN will not boycott as they are owned by NewsCorp and Uncle Rupert is a big supporter of SOPA. Gamespot will not boycott as CBS/Viacomm is a supporter.

So that is 90% of your traffic right there.

#39 Posted by TheHumanDove (2505 posts) -

occupy SOPOAAPAAPDUR

#40 Posted by FreakAche (2948 posts) -

@alternate said:

IGN will not boycott as they are owned by NewsCorp and Uncle Rupert is a big supporter of SOPA. Gamespot will not boycott as CBS/Viacomm is a supporter.

This has confused me, as Gamespot has actually given a decent amount of coverage to SOPA.

#41 Edited by iFail (236 posts) -

@TheHumanDove said:

occupy SOPOAAPAAPDUR

thank you for your intelligent post, not at all a strawman there.

Also, all of this "I want my fucking news" shit is basically assuming that publishers can't announce anything without E3. Breaking news, there are these things called press releases. Your fucking game news will turn up eventually. To avoid combating a hugely destructive bill like SOPA just to get some news, only 1/3 of which will actually matter in a year is shortsighted.

#42 Posted by SamFo (1513 posts) -

If GiantBomb doesn't cover E3, people will go to other sites that do.
Simple as that.

#43 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

Personally don't care if the whole board is flooded with topics about this as this is kind of all that matters in regards to the internet right now. The OP is right, Giant Bomb shouldn't cover E3, and getting a little disappointed they haven't picked a side on this thing yet. Besides, heavily regulated PR statements held at a specific time of year hardly qualifies as "news" anyway. I can just as easily read the same information from the companies themselves than from a middleman. Yes, I'll be robbed of Giant Bomb's whimsical commentary but again, who cares when the future of the internet, free speech and creativity is on the line?

#44 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

@SamFo said:

If GiantBomb doesn't cover E3, people will go to other sites that do. Simple as that.

Heh, tried combining two different things irrespective of the times of year we are talking about so apologies for that last posts brashness. There is a boycott being pitched around that is intended to damage a lot of companies Q1 reports. That goes until early March. E3, while much later, is such a big event even threatening not to cover it ought to be effective. And yes, those challenging game sites not to cover E3 wouldn't go to other sites without becoming hypocrites, which no one likes being labeled. So plenty of ways to protest this whole thing, thus alleviating the possibilty of future guilt.

There, that makes more sense and is less arrogant in tone.

#45 Posted by Spoonman671 (4531 posts) -

Fuck that.

#46 Edited by alternate (2679 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

@alternate said:

This has confused me, as Gamespot has actually given a decent amount of coverage to SOPA.

and IGN/1up have said they also oppose the bills - and their parent companies will let them get away with that as they like to appear hands off and maintain the illusion of independence - but have a blackout or boycott and the word will come from on high that they toe the line or look for new employment.

It is like when the News of the World was shut. Other Murdoch papers like The Sun and The Times made a show of coming out against phone hacking but there was a limit to how vociferous they could be. They were critical of acts and practices by the journalists involved and their sister paper but they were much more circumspect when it came to going after the Murdoch family. They wanted to maintain editorial independence but you can't outright go after your bosses and get away with it.

#47 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

It would be the right thing to boycott it, but i'm not sure that's reasonable

#48 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1079 posts) -

It is not the media's job to create the news, but to report on it.

#49 Posted by Driadon (2995 posts) -

@iFail said:

@TheHumanDove said:

occupy SOPOAAPAAPDUR

thank you for your intelligent post, not at all a strawman there.

Also, all of this "I want my fucking news" shit is basically assuming that publishers can't announce anything without E3. Breaking news, there are these things called press releases. Your fucking game news will turn up eventually. To avoid combating a hugely destructive bill like SOPA just to get some news, only 1/3 of which will actually matter in a year is shortsighted.

While I agree that issues such as SOPA and PIPA are a much much higher priority to us as a consumer, the big difference here would be the year-to-year income a company like Whiskey makes. People who want their news from Giant Bomb during E3 are the customers that help keep this site going; asking for a site to not cover such a big event is like asking a retail store to close during the Christmas season, and telling people off for their want to consume the content they want during one of the most important time for a company is just ludicrous should you want that company to continue.

Ultimately the best thing that each and every website could do is to keep the knowledge or discussion going on the state of SOPA and PIPA, as so many did on the 18th.

#50 Posted by RoujinX (419 posts) -

Holy shit! I left Screwattack and came to Giantbomb because of that Craig asshole!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.