Video Games at E3 That Were Neat or Cool, By Brad

• 69 results
#51 Posted by RenaissanceXD (44 posts) -

There was a huge grin on my face during that south park trailer!

#52 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

What? Awesome games will keep coming out? I am shocked!

#53 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Brad made video games and showed them at E3?

#54 Posted by dropabombonit (1490 posts) -

Brad articles are always the best, that PSN stuff looks neat

#55 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@TheHT said:

I really enjoy the way Brad writes. Something about it is always so pleasant, even when the subject matter itself may not be.

Just learning about what Unfinished Swan actually is, I'm way excited for it. I can see myself painting every single corner of the space you're put in to discover all there is to see.

Echoing thoughts...

On a tangent, the way Cartman screams "HOLY FUCKING SHIT" in the trailer for The Stick of Truth is fantastic.

#56 Posted by Gordo789 (358 posts) -

An E3 article that's about videogames?!? How refreshing.

#57 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

i have not played a south park game since the n64

#58 Edited by mrburger (100 posts) -

@Lively said:

@mrburger: @mrburger said:

No nosedives, truly. Lately even the off-episodes have at least two or three like deeply, abs-hurtingly funny bits apiece. Trey and Matt still seem to know what makes a South Park episode great, and when they put their best into it (e.g., into the one (1) Emmy-bait episode per season) it's a show worth being there to watch the night it airs. To the haters: it's okay to be a member of the huge population that doesn't like South Park. You are a crucial part of what makes it such a delight to watch.

I don't think it's fair to write us of as "haters" who just don't get South Park. I absolutely love seasons 1-7, and like a good number of episodes that were made afterward. They still come up with great riffs and images from time to time (for instance, the most recent image that still sticks with me is the cancer-ridden men of South Park using their testicles like pogo sticks), but I think they've lost the ability to make well-told stories. Episodes from the older seasons and the movie were well-made from top to bottom. Now, most episodes have one good joke / image, and the rest of it is just listening to Trey Parker complain about politics / pop culture for 30 minutes.

Even if they still know how to make a good episode, it doesn't excuse them being so lazy that they only do so once a year.

Well, I like South Park. It's not my favorite show, it's not the best thing out there, it's not vital, but it is from my generally pretty picky perspective well-written, the stories are well-told, and the topics are topical--I hear about zip-lining everywhere I go all of a sudden, and I crack up every time someone feels like they have to explain to me, "And you know, it's really not even that scary." I'm basically squarely inside the target demographic, though, so I don't know how useful my opinion is to anybody.

Haters, I'm not saying you don't get it. I don't know if you get it or not, I can't tell from here. But I don't picture you as dumb, I picture you as disagreeable. We're a whole generation of educated, well-meaning contrarians. We're actually kind of annoying, really, but I'm used to us.

#59 Posted by kennybaese (663 posts) -

I keep forgetting about the South Park game, but every time I never it exists it makes me smile. I can't wait to play it.

#60 Posted by Unavailable (56 posts) -

I don't like Brad articles because that's time spent typing that he could have spent speaking with that beautiful voice.

Also, yes, the South Park game gets bonus points for having one of the only presenters (with Trey and Matt) that weren't either stuff, wooden and boring, or Toboscus/Mr. Caffine-style annoying.

#61 Posted by Kiri90 (257 posts) -

@Brad said:

@mercury228 said:

I agree with this article from Brad, but I have to say that I disagree about the shooting in Watchdogs. I thought it looked way better than most cover based shooters out their. I really hope it will mix the dynamic cover based shooting with the hi tech espionage that was on display. I also highly doubt that was on a PS3 or and 360 cause nothing on current consoles could touch the way Watch Dogs looks.

Yeah, I had no problem with the way the shooting actually seemed to play, once it happened -- it's more that I was sitting through that demo at the press conference muttering to myself "please don't be a shooter, please don't be a shooter" and then it... turned into a shooter. I guess you have to include some concessions to popular tastes, but I would've been more excited about this if it had been a pure story-driven adventure game where your wits and gadgets were the only tools at your disposal. Then again, LA Noire is a good example of that kind of game including shooting mechanics but not leaning on them too heavily. and I loved it, so if Watch Dogs can do something like that, more power to 'em.

Great article, Brad! In terms of the shooting mechanics in Watch Dogs, I had a question for you. I've bee trying to think back and remember whether you mentioned playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution on the Bombcast? I know Jeff played it, and even had it in his Top 10 games of last year, but I am curious to get your reaction in how that game handled its shooting mechanics. Personally, I thought the game did a great job of allowing the player to have the exact freedom you mention (hacking grids, computers, etc.) in terms of allowing for the avoidance of confrontation. The mechanic of being able to invest in your character's attribute points in such a way where you can become this stealth-based player or a Rambo-esque behemoth is what made the game so great to me. To me, it looks like Watch Dogs could benefit from some of type of "player choice" mechanics--maybe even to the degree which The Last of Us seems to be taking (judging from your "behind closed-doors" game experience). However, it could be a game that requires that action element to keep it from resembling games like Heavy Rain, where one might be considered to be more of a passenger along for the story. I am just curious to hear your thoughts on what balance you'd like the game to hit. Thanks.

*Comments about Deus Ex: Human Revolution exclude the boss fights.

#62 Posted by leebmx (2238 posts) -

Hi what do you mean by: 'however offputting the treatment of certain show staffers was'? Did I miss something?

#63 Posted by Jimbo (9804 posts) -

Sim City seems to be taking a lot of the neat ideas Cities XL (in its short-lived MMO form) used, but will probably have the advantage of those ideas actually working. CXL MMO was broken as fuckkkk, but it wasn't a total wash:

#64 Posted by Ghosthead84 (143 posts) -

Sounds like the Last of Us will have some replayability there with the different choices of play style.

#65 Posted by Jimbo (9804 posts) -
"The unexpected step two for me came in the realization that while you may elect to play The Last of Us as a pacifist out of moral responsibility, you'll be making a very real mechanical sacrifice to do so. Those bandits may be carrying some very precious supplies that you won't get access to if you don't take them forcefully, and what's more, those guys are scrounging the area for the same found items you are. So if there are bandages or bullets in a drawer somewhere and they get to that drawer first because you were busy hiding in a closet waiting for them to pass, you've lost your chance at getting those items."

The problem for me is, that doesn't sound like a tough decision at all.  It's even easier if the people involved are Bad Guys, because then the moral aspect of the decision is taken away too and the obvious option is just to kill them and take their stuff. There needs to be an upside to co-operating peacefully with other people (which is just as much a part of how humanity operates as killing each other) in order to make that more of a consideration. eg. you can only get some items/information by approaching a group and trading with them, and that could be an opportunity you lose if you just kill everybody out of hand.  It would then be up to you to try and assess how the group is behaving before deciding how to act.
#66 Posted by Daniel4114 (7 posts) -

I think that watch dogs demo will turn out to be the same as both the last of us demo and the hitman demo (hitman being the game that this is reminding me of most mechanically) I reckon there will be a multitude of ways to deal with any situation. Even in the club what would have happened if you had just waited inside or if you had gone out the front there was nothing pushing you out the back. Its always hard to judge a game with a hands off demo but am really excited for this although i cant see it being half as good this gen as it will be on ps4 ect.

#67 Posted by Zatoishwan (28 posts) -

@TheHT said:

I really enjoy the way Brad writes. Something about it is always so pleasant, even when the subject matter itself may not be.

Just learning about what Unfinished Swan actually is, I'm way excited for it. I can see myself painting every single corner of the space you're put in to discover all there is to see.

Agreed. Patrick might have the scoops, but Brad articles really are just so.. well pleasant for some reason

#68 Posted by Undeadpool (4924 posts) -

@Zatoishwan said:

@TheHT said:

Agreed. Patrick might have the scoops, but Brad articles really are just so.. well pleasant for some reason

It's because you're hearing it in your head in that soothing baritone. That's my theory, anyway.

#69 Posted by spartica (72 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

As always, Brad article hits all the right spots for me. Loved the the little quip at the beginning with all this non-sense going on.

Also, Last of Us looks like it is going to be amazing, is it a PS3 exclusive? If so, then it may be time for me to go buy one.

Indeed, The Last of Us is a PS3 exclusive. Go forth and purchase your console.

#70 Posted by larryrules138 (142 posts) -

Say what you will about Brad, but dude can write an article. Super informative, as I've been outta the loop for a while. That South Park trailer had me sitting here with the dumbest shit-eating grin ever. I really hope it turns out well, as a series as long-running as SP deserves a competent game finally. And like many others have said, Last of Us is looking to be incredible. I thought I wouldn't be capable of caring about another "zombie"-related survival game, but LoU is disproving that theory. Stoked!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.