Worth Reading: 06/01/2012

• 110 results
#101 Posted by Dohers (31 posts) -

You mentioned becoming more concerned about the preservation of video games. The question gets more interesting and harder to answer when it comes to MMOs. You can preserve the code, but that doesn't mean much. In an MMO the code isn't the interesting bit; the community is. You almost certainly have listened to it already, but this episode of A Life Well Wasted has an interesting interview with a professor talking about documenting the end of The Sims Online: http://alifewellwasted.com/2009/03/03/episode-two-gotta-catch-em-all/

#102 Posted by RenaissanceXD (44 posts) -

TWEET THAT SHIT!

#103 Posted by Jaxley (63 posts) -

You've spelt Kanye wrong.

Goddamn.

#104 Edited by DarkShaper (1320 posts) -

@Jugglerman: Vinny and Drew already did one

#105 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3171 posts) -
#106 Edited by bybeach (4724 posts) -

What Tom Bissell wrote was entertaining, and I'm not inclined to dispute his analysis of Rock Stars revamping of Max Payne. But Bissell's first couple of paragraphs..simply and completely nope. That is Bissell's own twist, and it kind of puts me at odds.

Max Payne was an excellent cop. Nor did he get any one killed. His wife invertantly and unknowingly acquired the book or some such information that got her and the baby killed..and it's not her fault either. Mona Sax was on her own path of revenge and justice for her sister.. it had nothing to do with Max except potential mutual interest. There was no hint that these events would happen, and I do not not accept Bissell's revisionism that Max 'killed' his family (or Mona sax). It was simply sick-ass fate. And that is what makes it Noire, dark and brooding. Max's tale was one of revenge and redemption that was never going to wipe out the fact his family was obliterated, or his later love and loss of Mona Sax. It was never going to bring back the people he loved.

Sorry, just how it hit me about those first paragraphs.

#107 Posted by EPGPX (285 posts) -

Penumbra is definitetly a thumbs down. Don't play it.

#108 Posted by CaresserDundee (6 posts) -

I actually thought Penumbra: Overture was better than Amnesia. I haven't played through the second Penumbra, so I can't really speak for that game.

#109 Posted by KirePDX (69 posts) -

I agree, and have been reading his collection of short stories recently, Magic Hours: Essays on Creators and Creation , and would highly recommend it.

His article on Jennifer Hale, the prolific voice actor and FemShep actress, is incredible: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/15/110815fa_fact_bissell

Extra Lives is essential reading; but his best work is in a Slate video game dialogue where he tries to understand what the hell Seth Schiesel is talking about, and then a year later acknowledges that Schiesel's is just outright ridiculous.

@ZmillA said:

Tom Bissell is too good at writing about video games.

#110 Posted by thebigJ_A (994 posts) -

Thumbs up on Penumbra. Before Amnesia, they were the scariest games I've ever played. They're not as good, but you can see they Frictional guys perfecting their craft, and are plenty unsettling.

Ignore combat as much as possible. The devs put it in as a sort of desperate back-up, but didn't yet realize people would use it if it was there.

#111 Posted by VargasPrime (301 posts) -

@thebigJ_A said:

Thumbs up on Penumbra. Before Amnesia, they were the scariest games I've ever played. They're not as good, but you can see they Frictional guys perfecting their craft, and are plenty unsettling.

Ignore combat as much as possible. The devs put it in as a sort of desperate back-up, but didn't yet realize people would use it if it was there.

Patrick Klepek I agree, wholeheartedly, at least in regards to the first two Penumbra installments. "Overture" and "Black Plague" are great bits of horror and storytelling and are most definitely worth playing.

As for the third chapter, "Requiem", it's a bit detached from the first two in that it's a bit more puzzle-centric, and it is divided up into segregated "levels" that you must solve and traverse, rather than one single cohesive environment that you're exploring. The horror aspect of the first two chapters is also severely lacking in Requiem, as you're faced with environmental challenges, but little else to oppose you in your travels. Due to some publisher/developer issues, the intended "trilogy" was instead chopped down to two installments, with Requiem being more of an expansion, and not meant to be a true chapter in the story.

Story-wise, Requiem manages to tack on an interesting ending to the first two chapters, and if you have the time and inclination, there's nothing wrong with playing it, I just found it somewhat disappointing after white-knuckling my way through Overture and Black Plague.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.