Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2013

Concept »

The nineteenth annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center on June 11-13, 2013.

Can E3 Really Save Microsoft?

• 137 results
    RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

After MS's disastrous XONE reveal, I see some folk claiming that e3 is what's important. But does it really matter anymore?

I don't think so, I think the stigma that Microsoft has had ever since the ps4 announcement is permanent damage that cannot be solved by ANYTHING they show. The XONE would have to shit rainbows and piss lolligum drops for it to regain mind share (which is extremely important, no matter what any game journo says).

Ridiculous, but still funny
    Ridiculous, but still funny

Seriously, what could they possibly show to fix any of this? For Christs sake, people are equating MS to Kevin Fucking Spacey in Seven

Gears of War? Judgement sold less than 2 million. Does that scream system seller anymore?

Fable? You gotta be kidding me

Halo? Sure, maybe. Halo 4 sold a shit ton for an exclusive game (though, not as much as halo 3). Here's my argument why halo won't matter

It's not gonna be released for some time.

It might not even be shown at e3, since Halo 4 just released a few months ago

I also wanted to sum up Sony's current position, so here's a few bullet points

• Announced earlier, so it's been attached to next gen games for longer (like the new ass creed)
    • So far, they've only focused on the positive things (games and specs)
    • They haven't talked a lot about the PS4's feature set, but I think that's because they want to see what MS is including with the XONE first. I think it's possible they have time to cut things from the OS in light of the XONE fiasco (They cannot change hardware specs, but they have half a year to change things like always online/used game drm).
    • The internet is currently sided with PS4. Maybe for dumb reasons, but it's happened and nothing can change it between now and e3
    • Haven't shown the box yet, but that's a good thing. Just another thing to take the spotlight off of MS during e3

Lastly, I do think there is one thing that could change all of this, and that's what the hell these things are going to cost.

MS is almost guaranteed to announce price at e3 (they kind of have to at this point, since they've hyped the event up so much). Sony, on the other hand, still has TGS in their hand, meaning they have time to react to MS announcing their price. Sony could just as well announce price at e3; nothing is confirmed, so take this last paragraph as speculation.

Anyway, if the XONE is cheaper than the ps4 (which is completely possible), it could very well come out on top. I'd speculate on pricing, but I'm not 100% sure what will be included with the ps4 (like that camera, is that getting boxed in like the kinect?)

Feel free to sound off in the comments, but please be pleasant about it. I'd really like for this to be a constructive argument.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Yes.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Impress me with some new IPs, some cool looking games and announce they're changing their indie developer policies. yeah, that'd help ALOT

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toowalrus: How? I really want some other perspectives

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will be contractually obligated to buy it if Crackdown 3 or Mirrors Edge 2 is exclusive to it.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bigjeffrey

Yes

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RonGalaxy

@clonedzero: Interesting exclusives and microsoft are 2 things that have never gone hand and hand (except Alan Wake). I see a bulk of the exclusives being shooters

Edit: Also, I seriously doubt MS gives a shit about indie devs. It seems they're moving towards the COMPLETE opposite direction form that sort of thing

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fiberpay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fiberpay

Yes, because Sony still has some stuff to announce that I have a feeling will make it on par with Microsoft in terms of internet hate. I really find it hard to believe that Sony wont have roughly the same used game restrictions. Remember EA sells Playstation games as well so it would have been dumb for them to pull the codes just because Microsoft has a used game policy. That would allow all their Playstation games to be bought used and not require a code in them. Do you really think EA would miss out on that money? I don't.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Because there is nothing to save. Everything has been blown out of perportion and this is more or less the same that happened to Sony last gen. It will all be forgotten. MS has 15 exclusives and 8 new IPs. We also do not know what both systems are over clocked to. Not to mention Sony could turn around and do their own dumb shit. There is nothing to save.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@the_laughing_man said:

No. Because there is nothing to save. Everything has been blown out of perportion and this is more or less the same that happened to Sony last gen. It will all be forgotten. MS has 15 exclusives and 8 new IPs. We also do not know what both systems are over clocked to. Not to mention Sony could turn around and do their own dumb shit. There is nothing to save.

BU..BUT ALL MY HAL 9000 AND BIG BROTHER MEME GENERATOR PICS ;_;

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RonGalaxy
    @the_laughing_man said:

Hmm, thats a good point, but sony barely recovered from the shit they pulled with the ps3. It's not like people forgot about it or anything. I could see the same thing happening to MS if they're the only ones to do the online stuff/used games stuff/tv stuff

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel they will get back up from their awful reveal. From what I gather the primary problem was that it did not feel like they where targeting hardcore gamers but sided more with the masses(casual gamer). So its only natural I think that they would focus on their core audience which is the hardcore gamer and show a ton of games at e3. Thats not to say it will dominate this gen but rather compete or get back in the race.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RonGalaxy

@connerthekewlkid: Nothing on that pic is jumping out to me. It might be because I'm not in the xbox ecosystem of exclusive content. Maybe that page is a really exciting thing for people. I just dont see it (especially crackdown 3? I thought people hated that series).

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

You can't "lol Fable" if you live in the real world. It's a huge franchise. But I think Lionhead's working on a new IP.

For me E3 is important because I like video games. Some have made up their minds because of the anti-consumer stuff but I'll buy the consoles that have the games I want to play.

If Ryse, Crackdown(not guaranteed to be at E3), Rare games,Lionhead, Quantum Break etc. look good, they're back in the game easily.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid: Nothing on that pic is jumping out to me. It might be because I'm not in the xbox ecosystem of exclusive content. Maybe that page is a really exciting thing for people. I just dont see it (especially crackdown 3? I thought people hated that series).

Nobody really hates Crackdown but people do think that the second one was mediocre. What exactly does Xbox ecosystem of exclusive content even mean anyway?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ez123: It's a huge franchise because a lot of people own the 360. If no one owns the one and fable 4 gets announced exclusively for it, do you see that game being a big system seller? I sure dont

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ez123: It's a huge franchise because a lot of people own the 360. If no one owns the one and fable 4 gets announced exclusively for it, do you see that game being a big system seller? I sure dont

Well you announce games to get people to buy a system and that is indeed a video game.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid: Like, I never got excited for any of the exclusives microsoft has ever offered (except halo, but it's been a while since I've had interest in the series).

I feel every exclusive they release is targeting the same type of audience (except for Alan Wake). Sony, on the other hand, seems like they change things up with every exclusive released. There's something for everyone. Just my slightly biased opinion, I guess. I can understand if people get excited for what MS is offering up

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22 chaser324  Moderator

I really don't think Microsoft's position is nearly as dire as some people have made it out to be. If they bring a solid lineup of games and a clear consistent message, a lot of people that overreacted to the reveal event will forget about it and move on.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Hunter5024

I'm not really sure what Microsoft could do to convince me to buy their system at e3. Their ips are super limited, the only ones I like are Gears, which feels like it has run its course, and Fable, which is in sort of a shitty place after the last one. I also like Rare, but they're kind of just a shell of what they once were, and I'm not convinced that the game they announce will interest me. In terms of the system itself, I don't like that they've doubled down on Kinect, and both the always online and used things are super bummers. Also I basically never watch tv. There are maybe 4-5 shows I catch up on every summer, and if I'm not busy I watch a new anime when I can, so the cable deal means nothing to me. Not to be so negative about it or anything, I wish that their system looked good, but at the moment I can't see myself buying it.

Here are the announcements it would take to peak my interest: Xbox live is free, the system itself is super cheap, they've made exclusive deals with publishers for games I care about (I'm thinking Dragon Age), and some novel new ips.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Save them from what? A week of bad press, most of which has already been proven to be based on bullshit? It's easy to say the world is ending when you're in the middle of a hurricane, but the next day, the storm is over and the world is still there.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RonGalaxy

@chaser324: I don't know. This all reminds me so much of the ps3 reveal, and sony has been struggling ever since to keep even footing

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero: Interesting exclusives and microsoft are 2 things that have never gone hand and hand (except Alan Wake). I see a bulk of the exclusives being shooters

Edit: Also, I seriously doubt MS gives a shit about indie devs. It seems they're moving towards the COMPLETE opposite direction form that sort of thing

Uh, Alan Wake is a shooter.... also shooters can be interesting....

snobby much?

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@naru_joe93 said:

@connerthekewlkid: Like, I never got excited for any of the exclusives microsoft has ever offered (except halo, but it's been a while since I've had interest in the series).

I feel every exclusive they release is targeting the same type of audience (except for Alan Wake). Sony, on the other hand, seems like they change things up with every exclusive released. There's something for everyone. Just my slightly biased opinion, I guess. I can understand if people get excited for what MS is offering up

I dunno I always felt Sony had mostly the adventure game and RPG audience.

That and I personally believe Sony killed some its best first party studios. (Zipper, Incognito, Lightbox etc. )

Or at least those were my favorite games of theirs on the PS-Triple.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bigjeffrey

What MS has.

• Remedy confirmed to be at E3 (Show actual game)
    • RARE teased (New IPs and "Historic Franchise)
    • Crackdown Orb Teased (Great way to showcase a HUGE open world game)
    • Crytek game RYSE (Great Graphics, now a controller game)
    • Forza Motorsports 5 (Hey show actual game)
    • COD (The COD people stay on Xbox, win for MS)
    • New Halo Game (A system seller, Halo is still big, Halo 4 is the best selling Halo ever)
    • Black Tusk Studios (made to create a new IP that rivals Halo)
    • Their back pocket is USHER to showcase the new Kinect
    joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By joshwent

For mainstream consumers, the price is the ultimate factor.

If the XOne is even $75 cheaper than the PS4, none of their bullshit will matter. We're the only ones who really dig in to these details. People generally buying something to play games are only concerned about digging into their wallets.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think their games have adventure dna, but I wouldn't call them all straight adventure games.

And lightbox/incognito are (basically) the same dev; they were comprised of most of the same people at least. And I've never heard anyone refer to them as one of sony's best devs, at least not for some time.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By redcream

You hate Se7en? :(

Anyway, I think everyone who watched that presentation will keep an open mind to what's in store for Microsoft so they should blow our minds come E3 and all these problems (PR blunder, wishy-washy message etc.) will be solved.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is even more dire. If Microsoft doesn't nail E3, THE ENTIRE WORLD WILL EXPLODE

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moonshadow101: They've had bad press ever since the rumor mill started after the ps4 announce.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: Halo 4 was NOT the best selling halo ever. And no one is going to buy a new system just for COD, because COD will remain on current gen systems (for the foreseeable future too). I'd bet both of my nuts most of COD Ghosts sales will be on the 360

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@naru_joe93 said:

@bigjeffrey: Halo 4 was NOT the best selling halo ever. And no one is going to buy a new system just for COD, because COD will remain on current gen systems (for the foreseeable future too). I'd bet both of my nuts most of COD Ghosts sales will be on the 360

Well of course, thats what happened with 3 (and 2?) but now I think there riding on Respawns new game for their COD sales next gen.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Among people who have already made up their mind about the new Xbox? No, nothing they say will get those people interested. To the vast majority of people though E3 will be where they actually pay attention. I mean sure they are doomsayers all over the internet right now but if they release good games no one will even remember when people were freaking out about no games being shown at some press conference.

I mean there are a lot of people that play games these days, and most of them don't regularly visit message boards. Most don't know who Johnathan Blow is and don't care about any game he will ever make. So while Sony's conference was more appealing to people like us, most people I've talked to either want a PS4 because it has the name Playstation on it or will pick up the one that turns out to be more popular with their friends.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@naru_joe93: they forgot about Sony massive security breach and large amounts of personal data leaked. Then an all most instant hacking of another Sony company.

This will pass and next gen will be the same as this gen but with better graphics and larger multiplayer.

And rumors are X1 will be cheaper then the 360 release.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chief of Staff for Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft has confirmed Halo 4 is the best selling Halo ever.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RonGalaxy

Note: I guess I never really think about the people who don't follow gaming news religiously/go on game forums. I guess my new stance is pricing will decide which one succeeds. If ones cheaper than the other, that console will most likely have the other hand. I have a feeling both will be priced similarly though

Also, I still stand on my speculation of Sony announcing price AFTER MS at TGS (MS announcing at e3). If sony does this, they'll have the pricing upper hand.

Then again, they also need to realize they HAVE to beat or match the Ones price to have any legs. They need to think of it this way "sure, we'll lose money on the console, but we'll make it back if we sell X amount of games and X amount of peripherals"

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
    kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They have only had one press showing. It would be dumb to make any judgement on the console, which will undoubtedly have a multi-year lifespan, based on this.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#41  Edited By DarthOrange

Microsoft isn't doing that bad. There is still time for both Sony to fumble and Microsoft to make up ground. Also price will be key.

TehCraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TehCraw

In my opinion, you're underestimating how incredibly fickle the internet hivemind can be...an e3 presentation with nothing but games (what else is there going to be, that was the point of the reveal presentation), with some really solid exclusive new (or old, Rare anyone?) IPs, some good game play and a reasonable price point will have the online community singing their praises....

...But...thats only providing they sort out this incredible used game marketing catastrophe in a way that benefits us/doesn't change from the current way.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Killer Instinct 3

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By audiosnow

Microsoft doesn't need saving, the reveal was fine.

Honestly, the fervor in both directions over the X-ONE would be comical if it wasn't taking place around me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Rafaelfc

Too soon for all this doom and gloom.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EXTomar

Microsoft would really really really have to be in lalalala-land to make E3 a disaster. I believe they'll have an okay E3 but historically their E3 has been the weirder and most off-putting of the three.

But I do wonder if they shouldn't have done the Reveal Event and just hold everything back for E3. That is one of those high insight is 20-20 things I guess.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the draconian anti-consumer system they have in place, they could have every single dream game I have ever wanted to play, all exclusive, even Shenmue 3, and I would still pass on it. If Sony has a similar system, I'll just stick with my PS3, and my eventual Wii U purchase + retro games. I stand by my principles, and I have thousands of existing games to fall back on to keep gaming for decades to come.

I do not need the Xbox One, and I do not want the Xbox One. Their really isn't anything they can do to change that, short of doing a complete 180 on virtually all of their stated policies with the system and making it a simple plug and play system that requires no internet connection of any sort at all to play games, at any part of the process. Also, a public apology for even considering such garbage in the first place.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

E3 could be a total wash and it won't matter. It will take years to see who comes out on top, so to speak. People will buy systems. People like me will end up owning both before long. Who cares which company makes any money. I loved my dream cast and Sega evaporated. Sony lost me on the PS3. That system is terrible. Yes, I own one and the only games I ever played start to finish on it was the uncharted series. All three games were great but, I regret my PS3 purchase otherwise.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to toss into this I think the entire MS conference was tossed up at the last moment. It all seemed overly staged and awkward a mix of bad acting and little practice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.