A few days from now, we're going to be neck deep into E3 2013 aka The Electronic Entertainment Expo aka The Electronic Three. Unless you've been living under a rock for the past eighteen years, you know that E3 is the biggest trade show for the video game industry. We're gonna see dozens of new trailers, demos, announcements, interviews, and live streams over the next eight days or so. What does that mean in relation to you and Giant Bomb? It means there's going to be a tidal wave of new threads created to talk about this stuff and almost as many wiki submissions for new games. That is...unless you follow these simple steps to surviving the forums during E3 that former moderator @citizenkane put together over the last couple years.
A lot of what you'll see below should be utilized year-round, but especially during the insanity of E3.
Starting Thursday morning and then continuing on Monday and Tuesday, you are going to see threads dedicated to each press conference (Konami, Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, Sony, Nintendo). These threads will be posted and stickied shortly before each press conference and are the go-to place for any and all discussion for their respective press conferences before, during, and after the show is over. So, don't go posting a brand new thread each time someone new walks out on stage and says something dumb/funny/insane/amazing. Let's try to keep it all in one place.
- Konami - Thursday, June 6 @ 10:00 AM PDT / 1:00 PM EDT / 5:00 PM GMT
- Microsoft - Monday, June 10 @ 9:30 AM PDT / 12:30 PM EDT / 4:30 PM GMT
- Electronic Arts - Monday, June 10 @ 1:00 PM PDT / 4:00 PM EDT / 9:00 PM GMT
- Ubisoft - Monday, June 10 @ 3:00 PM PDT / 6:00 PM EDT / 10:00 PM GMT
- Sony - Monday, June 10 @ 6:00 PM PDT / 9:00 PM EDT / 1:00 AM GMT
- Nintendo - Tuesday, June 11 @ 7:00 AM PDT / 10:00 AM EDT / 2:00 PM GMT
If you're interested in creating a banner for the Press Conference threads, check out the photoshop contest thread!
CitizenKane's Patented Bullet Points of Recapping
- There will be an official discussion thread for each of the six major press conferences.
- These threads will be pinned to the top of all boards and to each company's respective forum.
- Only general discussion of the press conferences will be allowed in these threads.
We know you want to talk about all these glorious new games that are about to get announced. But, there's no sense in fifty duders creating a new thread to talk about that thing that Jack Tretton just announced 18 seconds ago. And, in case you didn't know, every game in the Giant Bomb database has a forum attached to it. Tidy organization is built right in! All you have to do is utilize it. Did Ubisoft just announce some crazy new feature in Watch_Dogs? Well, guess where you should start a thread to talk about it? You guessed it.
The idea here is to not clog up the General Discussion. Any thread that is about a specific game should be attached to that game's forum. If a moderator spots your thread about Battlefield 4's exclusive pre-order bonus in General, it's going to get moved, so help us out and just start by posting it where it should go.
If you're confused, let's break it down.
E3 is fast and furious, so we know there are going to be duplicates, but help us out by taking a few seconds to check first. The dupes that get through will soon be locked anyway.
But...but...but...What if there's no page for the game I want to talk about?!
Well, the answer is pretty simple. Go ahead and make a page for it. Before you do, though, make doubly sure there's not already one created. Sometimes, when a new page is created, it takes a bit of time to show up in search. Here's a tip for you:
Even if someone submitted it 3 seconds ago, it's going to be there. So, use that instead of just checking the search bar. The mods will be monitoring the wiki queue like hawks trying to get the new stuff through as quickly as possible.
CitizenKane's Patented Bullet Points of Recapping: Part Deux
- Any topics about individual games should be placed inside their respective games' forums and NOT in General Discussion.
- Check for already existing threads about what you want to talk about.
- Topics not in the correct place will be moved by moderators immediately.
- Any user who continues to post such topics in GD will receive an official warning. So be cool. Follow these simple steps, and have fun. It's E3 time!
E3 is one of the most fun times of the year for anyone who loves games. It's fast. It's chaotic. It's sometimes ridiculous and/or hilarious. All of us here in the Giant Bomb community want to have a good time with all the news, announcements, trailers, and late-night podcasts. So, let's all do our part to keep things as organized as possible so everyone can find anything they're looking for during E3 2013.
Got questions? Feel free to post them here so that anyone else with the same/similar question can get helped at the same time.
Let's do this!