Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2013

Concept »

The nineteenth annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center on June 11-13, 2013.

Electronic Arts' E3 2013 Press Briefing: You Gotta Have Faith

• 96 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

Nobody goes into third-party publisher press conferences expecting huge things. Hell, there barely even are any third-party publisher conferences anymore. Now we're pretty much down to EA and Ubisoft, with Konami bringing up the rear with their pre-recorded silliness each year. These are typically pretty simple listings of what games will be ahead for the year, light on competitive jockeying and more just a way to add a little pizzazz to the usual E3 proceedings.

We expected to see a bunch more of Battlefield 4, and we most definitely did.
    We expected to see a bunch more of Battlefield 4, and we most definitely did.

So with that said, going into EA's press conference this morning, I don't expect many were holding out for anything terribly drastic or surprising. We knew more Battlefield 4 would be shown, that there would be ample footage of Need for Speed Rivals, and that there would be sports, because there are always sports. Heck, even the bona fide surprise of the day--the brief, show-closing tease for Mirror's Edge 2--turned out to be something generally expected by most, due largely to persistent rumors and a leaked help page on EA's support site last week.

Still, even if expectations were minimal, it's safe to say that they were met accordingly. More Battlefield 4 was indeed shown, in the form of a lengthy multiplayer demo which showcased both its new commander mode and some of the more destructible environments you'll see. Need for Speed Rivals got a lengthy demo showing off the game's integration of single-player and multiplayer content, while also playing as an opening act to a lengthy, generally dull promotion for the forthcoming Need for Speed movie, starring Aaron Paul. Paul was on hand to remind us that he is a gamer (just like us!) and shill a bit for the movie. That he did not punctuate any sentences with the word "bitch" was perhaps the most disappointing element of the entire presentation.

EA Sports delivered its expected lineup, including next-gen Madden, NBA, FIFA, and UFC offerings. Numerous sports celebrities were trotted out to talk about things like dribbling mechanics and "full body deformation," including a typically mouthy and stand-offish Dana White, who proceeded to tout the merits of men beating other men senseless while goading people to buy the upcoming UFC game.

Fortunately, the rest of the event was a bit more fun. The opening salvo from PopCap, a bizarre parody shooter called Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, had the distinction of looking like a lot of silly fun, despite the idea of a Plants vs. Zombies shooter sounding maybe a tad crass in concept--like, who asked for this? PopCap's John Vechey also managed to yelp out the existence of Peggle 2, before running off the stage in what looked like a bit of a daze. No word on when that one might be coming out, sadly.

Dragon Age 3, now renamed Dragon Age: Inquisition, also got a bit of stage time. It's been quite a while since we've heard anything about the game, which makes it not terribly surprising that the game has slid into a 2014 release window. Still, it's just good to hear anything at all about it, really, and the trailer was pretty good.

I don't care if we did pretty much see it coming: I'm just glad DICE is giving Mirror's Edge 2 a go.
    I don't care if we did pretty much see it coming: I'm just glad DICE is giving Mirror's Edge 2 a go.

One thing we'd perhaps expected to hear more about was EA's upcoming slate of Star Wars games. Nobody was expecting much video content, of course, since that licensing deal is still extremely recent. However, the only mention of the Star Wars license came in a very simple teaser for a new Star Wars: Battlefront, coming from DICE's LA division (formerly known as Danger Close).

Finally, the show closed out with a post-Battlefield 4 teaser for Mirror's Edge 2. Again, we had an inkling that this was coming, but it was still good to see it make an appearance in brief teaser trailer form. DICE isn't projecting a release date for it yet, but hey, it's in development at least!

We'll bring you more on EA's E3 2013 lineup later this week as we peruse the show floor.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By slyspider

Need more battlefield, mirrors edge. and dragon age pls. No real surprises but still solid.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MideonNViscera

Mirror's Edge sucks guys.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Mirror's Edge 2 is one I personally am really excited for and hopefully won't take forever to be made. Other than that DA: Inquisition and Battlefront are the other bits of good news I can take away from that conference.

mattchops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mattchops

Lots of big announcements with EA. I thought this was a pretty good showing.

I feel like they have no where, but up to go with Dragon Age.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YOU GOTTA HAVE FAITH, FAITH, FAITH!

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HaltIamReptar

yo Alex your link to the Dragon Age trailer leads to D

edit: that shit is fixed.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

look at this opinion

look at this super wrong opinion

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@animasta said:

@mideonnviscera said:

look at this opinion

It had problems but it had did stuff that it did great as well. Hopefully they would do it better the 2nd time.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I tweeted Patrick about this, maybe came across a bit hostile.

It just seems like "Mirrors Edge OMG" while the reaction to everything else has been "Next generation? More like SAME Generation".

I want to play a new Dead Rising. There's 3 dead rising games, 2 Mirrors Edge games. Neither breaking much new ground, or setting the world on fire. I just don't get the reaction. It shouldn't get a pass. It's no different.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MideonNViscera
    abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By abendlaender

@animasta said:

@mideonnviscera said:

look at this opinion

LOOK AT IT. Marvel in its wrongness

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@mideonnviscera said:

look at this opinion

Thought it was pretty lame myself.

Incredibly excited for FIFA and Madden, and of course Battlefield 4 and Dragon Age look great.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

More than anything, I want someone at EA to explain why they're rebooting (yes, rebooting) Mirror's Edge after only one game.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I don't know what's worse, that Alex made that awful George Michael pun, or that I thought of the same thing when I was watching the Mirrors Edge 2 trailer.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By benderunit22

Could've done without the sports hour and the testosterone overdose in the UFC bit, but overall a solid showing. That building crashing down in BF4 looked pretty dope.

Boosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FAITH!

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MideonNViscera

Well now I regret saying Mirror's Edge sucks because I'm gonna have to empty my inbox so much.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By retrovirus

I honestly can't believe we're getting a new Battlefront game. This makes up for everything.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I've been likely all the press conferences thus far. Yes each have had their share of embarrassing moments, but damn we're getting some reveals of highly requested games, which is a good sign for the game industry in my mind.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Dreamfall31

Never finished Mirror's Edge because I found too much of it an overload of trial and error. I might finish it, but probably not. Optimistic for them to get a 2nd go at it!

aseddon130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battlefield 4 multiplayer demo has made me install Battlefield 3 !!!

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RazielCuts

I'm not going to call all you people saying Mirror's Edge 'sucked' stupid but yeah, you're stupid. Had flawed elements? Yes. Completely sucked? No, you're stupid.

You either couldn't wrap your head around the controls and innovative fluid movement or see the rough gem that was buried under bad gunplay combat that just needed to be polished. This sequel is the promise of that polish.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Mirror's Edge, finally. About time.

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seemed like a very safe conference. They didn't really tell a convincing narrative going forward. Sure, they presented Dragon Age, Battlefront and Mirror's Edge, but they didn't really show how they are taking those franchises into the next gen. Battlefield was the most convincing demo in terms of looking ahead.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mideonnviscera: Well maybe it would have helped if instead of making a blanket statement you just explained why Mirror's Edge didn't appeal to you or simply said "Mirror's Edge isn't my thing but this and this looked cool" instead of just telling everyone that it sucks, especially when your opinion is in the minority.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AiurFlux

Wait wait wait. DICE LA is Danger Close? The same dummies that made both the Medal of Honor games?

Fucking shit. I WAS excited.

Avatar image for deactivated-6041dd7056393
    deactivated-6041dd7056393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't give a fuck about Mirror's Edge. So I was pretty disappointed in the EA thing.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mideonnviscera: Well maybe it would have helped if instead of making a blanket statement you just explained why Mirror's Edge didn't appeal to you or simply said "Mirror's Edge isn't my thing but this and this looked cool" instead of just telling everyone that it sucks, especially when your opinion is in the minority.

It's a videogame. I didn't have fun with it. That's really all there is to explain. I'm not a journalist for a reason. My opinion can't be too far in the minority or we'd be on Mirror's Edge 7 by now haha

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Battlefield looked good, Battlefront is exciting, and Mirror's Edge 2 could be cool. Bitch.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Venatio

Yay for Mirror's Edge! Been waiting for so long

Avatar image for eddie_and_the_fist_monkeys
    Eddie_and_the_Fist_Monkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mideonnviscera: To be honest until today and that trailer I thought the opinion that Mirror's Edge sucked was the prevailing one. Never knew so many people felt otherwise.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By RuthLoose

@mideonnviscera: To be honest until today and that trailer I thought the opinion that Mirror's Edge sucked was the prevailing one. Never knew so many people felt otherwise.

It's like Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island up in here all of a sudden!

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By GreggD

I came away from that presser with five games I'm planning to buy. Titanfall, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Battlefield 4, Battlefront, and Mirror's Edge.

Peggle 2, duders! Peggle 2!

And this, of course.

cozmicaztaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Peggle 2, duders! Peggle 2!

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eddie_and_the_fist_monkeys said:

It's like Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island up in here all of a sudden!

Would this be a bad time to say I don't like that game? haha

fargofallout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sort of wonder if I'm just too jaded to even watch these sorts of events. Nothing really piqued my interest during this event other than Dragon Age, and that's more curiosity than anything.

radioactivez0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By radioactivez0r

As I mentioned on the trailer post, I don't think the words "Mirror's Edge 2" were said or displayed anywhere, whatever that implies.

The Peggle 2 run-by announcement was hilarious - that guy jumped in the air like he wanted to be freeze framed.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Brendan

@theanticitizen: His apathy towards ME is not in the minority, hence the lengthy period before getting one sequel, from a publisher known for quickly putting out sequels to successful products (that's most publishers but you get my point). I don't have a love or hate boner for ME 2. If its good, great.

lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wanted a new Freedom Fighters. I guess there's always next E3

Avatar image for brohannsebastianbach
    BrohannSebastianBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty psyched for Mirror's Edge 2 and Dragon Age 3, and more FIFA is always welcome. Would have liked to have heard something about more Mass Effect though.

JayDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JayDee

if u don't like mirrors edge ur a piece of garbage

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I mentioned on the trailer post, I don't think the words "Mirror's Edge 2" were said or displayed anywhere, whatever that implies.

The Peggle 2 run-by announcement was hilarious - that guy jumped in the air like he wanted to be freeze framed.

It's apparently a prequel, so maybe it won't be named "2".

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Draxyle

If they cut out all the sports nonsense, EA's conference wasn't that bad at all. Not nearly as crushingly depressing as last year.

Those few seconds of Battlefront trailer were probably the only work done on the project so far, but good on them for confirming the most ideal scenario for the Dice teams.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@mideonnviscera: It's cool, it's more a case of saying "I don't care about Mirror's Edge" vs saying "It sucks".

Anyways, for me I was way more into the Battlefield stuff than I was expecting. I'm potentially interested for some kind of PvZ/Dungeon Defenders crossover title, and I really like Mirror's Edge so I'm definitely in on that.

Oh yeah, and Battlefront. Aww yiss.

KingdanglerBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Bio Forge Announced yet :(

buemba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mirror's Edge 2 and Peggle 2 are day one buys for me. Titanfall and Battlefield 3 could be interesting, even though I'm not really that into multiplayer FPS anymore.

Dragon Age: Inquisition, though? After DA2 they'll have to work very hard to win me back.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Decent showing from EA, but it's all potential right now with little to no gameplay of the things that caught my interest. Glad to see lots of destructible environments in BF4 though.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, Morrigan! Remember when Dragon Age wasn't the worst thing? Those were the days.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ghostiet

@hailinel said:

More than anything, I want someone at EA to explain why they're rebooting (yes, rebooting) Mirror's Edge after only one game.

The story of the first one was pretty much cliche crap, so I'm fine with that. I'd say that just too much time passed since the original to tie that stuff in, but the aesthetic and Faith's design is too strong to throw out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.